Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

more star wars TV show rumours

Page: 1 of 2
 Sivy
01-22-2004, 9:55 AM
from www.theforce.net)

BIG NEWS: Small Screen Star Wars
Thu, Jan 22, 04 12:45:08 AM EST

We may be able to shed some more light on the info indicating that Episode VII, VII, IX might happen. It may not be for a post-trilogy at all.
A year ago, we got our first report about the possibility of a TV show in the works after Episode III. We were not able to backup the info with other evidence, so it remained on the side and unreported... until recently.

We posted rumblings that Steven Spielberg might be involved in Star Wars post-Episode III and there must be something in the works, we got plenty of commentary. Then AICN posted the article about Pacific Digital and licensing agreements being extended, so many concluded that post-ROTJ films might be in the works. However, we also looked at our info from last year and believed we might finally have some proof of the initial report. We needed more.

We might finally have it. People we trust are telling us that there's a TV show on the design table. Instead of a Rogue Squadron series (which we first theorized some time ago), they may be looking at a post Episode 3 - pre Episode 4 about the rise of Darth Vader and why he is so feared in the OT.

We cannot confirm yet if the show is intended as live-action or animated (like Clone Wars). Since this is all in the early stages, it could change further down in pre-production. More as we get it - just thought you'd like to know what we're hearing.
 STTCT
01-22-2004, 10:09 AM
I just read that............buwahahahaha
 swphreak
01-22-2004, 10:09 AM
If it is cartoon, I will hurt Lucas, and just for the hell of it, I'm going to kill that Tartosky guy.

I'd rather it be CG, but if it has to, I guess live action, would be ok... the acting better not suck though. And it better not end up like Star Trek.
 Sivy
01-22-2004, 10:14 AM
yeah, i hope its not cartoon, i mean i like clone wars but, 'the rise of vader', that would be better off as live-action. as long as they get james earl jones to do the voice.
 eastcoast2895
01-22-2004, 1:21 PM
i don't want live action. for some reason i see some trashy production quality if it is going to be live action. if it was cartoon, i'd like it if the person who does clone wars and samurai jack does it because those are pretty good.
 Mex
01-22-2004, 2:13 PM
Whats the point in this? Why do they keep milking the franchise? Sometime that milks going to run out.
 Alegis
01-22-2004, 3:02 PM
here we have saying 'butter spread over too much bread' but Star Wars has always been big, remember that Lucas first intended to have series instead of movies. I'd much rather like movies, and I fear animated/acted..It has to be CG to please me
 The_One
01-22-2004, 3:23 PM
I think Lucas needs a very powerful slap to the cheek. Can't he just leave Star Wars alone?

Clearly not... :(
 Prime
01-22-2004, 6:27 PM
I'll believe this when it is on my TV.
 Prime
01-22-2004, 6:31 PM
Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak
And it better not end up like Star Trek. Worst. Day. Ever.
 Boba Rhett
01-22-2004, 6:57 PM
*paces back and fourth, pulling at his hair and ocassionally stopping to mutter, "**** this ****"*
 Pie™
01-22-2004, 8:50 PM
Oh god... :eek:
please....noooooo!!!! :eek:
 lukeiamyourdad
01-23-2004, 1:41 AM
If it happens, it IS going to end up like Star Trek.

*runs to beat the living hell out of some trekkies with plastic lightsaber*
 Hyarmendacil
01-23-2004, 7:56 PM
I hate this idea. I hope it never happens. I dont care what lucas intended SW to be in the first place. Its gone way beyond what it was first intended as. That part of the story is too important to be done on anything other than the big screen, continuing just as the rest of the story has already been told. Something like the Clone Wars series, supplementing a feature motion picture, is still a good idea.
 ZBomber
01-23-2004, 8:04 PM
After episode 3, they should just re run the olde rcartoons, and sell them on DVD......
 Thrawn
01-25-2004, 9:51 PM
I would love for this to be live action, although I really can't get used to the idea of seeing a Star Wars show on something like CBS or any other network. Just steer clear of UPN.

Seeing as how it would be from Lucasfilm and ILM, it could very well be an excellent show. Although, Star Wars has always been about EPIC stories, so does anyone think that a show may not be able to capture it all? I think it might work better as a mini-series, but I haven't had much time to think about it.

The other thing I would like to see would be a cartoon based on Rogue Squadron. Or a CG series. They could take storylines from the books, movies, games, everything.
 Darth Groovy
01-26-2004, 5:02 AM
I would not put too much stock or faith into what theforce.net puts out. This is the same website that posted rumors of Boba Fett being played by Kurt Russel. It's all about hit counts, and in this case, bull**** sells.

I wouldn't loose any sleep over this if I were any of you.;)
 STTCT
01-26-2004, 6:51 AM
I don't want anyone to ruin Starwars like they did with Star Trek.
 Prime
01-26-2004, 9:00 PM
Originally posted by Darth Groovy
It's all about hit counts, and in this case, bull**** sells. And not just in this case :)
 Darth Groovy
01-27-2004, 8:26 AM
Originally posted by STTCT
I don't want anyone to ruin Starwars like they did with Star Trek.

Too late. The media has already killed Star Wars. Just look at how many people have jumped on the Star Wars hating band wagon over the course of the last 5 years. Episode 3 doesn't stand a ghost of a chance no matter how good it is. You really think they would be stupid enough to attempt a Television series?

I think Chuck D from Public Enemy said it best when he said "Don't Believe The Hype!".
 DarkLord60
02-07-2004, 9:19 PM
Originally posted by Prime
I'll believe this when it is on my TV.

Same here.
 T10
02-08-2004, 8:51 AM
News flash Mr. Lucas. No-one cares. Personally. I'd prefer it if you just got your films done. But nooooooooooooo. Let's explore pre-ANH some more. If you have to, at least keep it sensible. No just a star trek rip-off with 7 or so people in the same setting day in day out. Coming across similar problems, and solving them using the force every single time. B-O-R-I-N-G! Please. Don't do it. If you do, please don't make it into a cartoon. Star Wars is not for babies. It is for people. People who don't pick up a comic in a shop just because it has a famous name on it. Please...stop the torture...
 leXX
02-10-2004, 9:58 AM
Two words - Enough already!
 ExcelsioN
02-10-2004, 4:13 PM
I told you this would happen.

Originally posted by Me
Somehow I know that GL will make prequels to the prequels...or sequels to the sequels....or something.

20 years from now we might be watching Star Wars: Episode 9: Return of the Return of the Jedi.

But as a TV show....Dear God NO!
 ZBomber
02-11-2004, 11:15 PM
20 years from now we might be watching Star Wars: Episode 9: Return of the Return of the Jedi.

:lol:

I really don't think anythign will be made. ;)
 leXX
02-12-2004, 9:12 AM
We didn't think there would be prequel films either. You just never know. ;)
 ZBomber
02-14-2004, 2:30 PM
Originally posted by leXX
We didn't think there would be prequel films either. You just never know. ;)

True...... but we really needed it. Episode 4, 5, and 6...... That seems kinda odd, if there weren't episode 1, 2, and 3. ;)
 ExcelsioN
02-14-2004, 5:03 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber
True...... but we really needed it. Episode 4, 5, and 6...... That seems kinda odd, if there weren't episode 1, 2, and 3. ;)

I don't think they were actually released, at first, as Ep4,5,6.
 lukeiamyourdad
02-14-2004, 6:09 PM
No, it was Ep 1,2,3. Then it was changed to 4,5,6 in '82 I think.
 Alegis
02-15-2004, 11:11 AM
no i'm pretty sure it was 4 5 6, he first made these movies because he didn't had the technical equipment for the first 3 episodes...which now are full of special effects. Why did GL make a special edition? Because he then was able to add some more special effects to the original trilogy. GL wants his SW to be full of effects , it is a science fiction movie after all
 lukeiamyourdad
02-15-2004, 5:36 PM
No. ANH was Ep.1 until '82(or something) when it was changed. It was the answer of the Jedi Council on starwars.com some time ago when the same question came up.

EDIT: Ah found it : http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc/steve/askjc20021031.html)

There you go!
 dark jedi 8
02-15-2004, 5:45 PM
for the first year "a new hope" was out it didn't have a number because lucas didn't know if he would make any more star wars movies if the first one failed.

I heard it from somewhere (bad memory)
 Gabrobot
02-16-2004, 7:17 AM
Originally posted by T10
News flash Mr. Lucas. No-one cares. Personally. I'd prefer it if you just got your films done. But nooooooooooooo. Let's explore pre-ANH some more. If you have to, at least keep it sensible. No just a star trek rip-off with 7 or so people in the same setting day in day out. Coming across similar problems, and solving them using the force every single time. B-O-R-I-N-G! Please. Don't do it. If you do, please don't make it into a cartoon. Star Wars is not for babies. It is for people. People who don't pick up a comic in a shop just because it has a famous name on it. Please...stop the torture...

Actually if you'd been paying attention (this goes for the other people who posted similar things, by the way) you'd know that George Lucas said that after EPIII, he was going to go on and make the movies he wants to make whether people will like them or not (I get the feeling he wouldn't actually be making the prequel trilogy if it wasn't for the fact that he has to complete the whole story), so I doubt he'd have anything more to do with a Star Wars TV series than he would a Star Wars game. He's done with Star Wars.
 dark jedi 8
02-16-2004, 2:46 PM
he might be but i wonder if he would let lucasfilms make a t.v. show and all he does is o.k certian things. kinda like thay did with the clone wars stuff.
 sosus
03-07-2004, 8:22 AM
many of you sound as if you hate star wars. WHy are you here if you hate it so much?
 leXX
03-07-2004, 9:33 AM
Don't be stupid. We don't hate Star Wars, we hate the idea of a TV series because it may very well be extremely badly done, and then our glorious Star Wars will be forever soiled in our brains.
 Glacius1
03-11-2004, 10:21 AM
We dont get the clone wars cartoon here, I first found out about it listening to you bunch. Either way I cant bear the thought of a star wars cartoon, no matter how good. I also cant bear the thought of a star wars series, cartoon, real, or CGI.

Wanna see a dancing elephant? -->:elephant:
 RoxStar
03-11-2004, 8:45 PM
Whats wrong with Star Trek?
 dark jedi 8
03-12-2004, 2:18 AM
the clone wars cartoons kicked ass IMO. proving that if enough time and energy and resources were used a decent to good t.v. show could be made. but everyone knows that lucasfilms wouldn't care enough to make a decent effort on a live action series to make it any good.
 Gabrobot
03-12-2004, 4:55 AM
Well, if it's not done by George Lucas himself, than you can just ignore it if you don't like it, just like you would a Star Wars book you didn't like.
 WolfwoodCross
03-14-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by T10
Don't do it. If you do, please don't make it into a cartoon. Star Wars is not for babies. It is for people.

I just have to say I take offense to the idea that "Cartoons are for babies." Animation is a GREAT medium, and no, it's not just for kids.

To be quite honest, the best thing to come out of the New Trilogy is the Clone Wars animated series on Cartoon Network. I think that that 50 minutes of animation is what all of us Star Wars geeks had wanted - not Ep. 1 - 2

So yeah, though I dislike the idea of a Post3/Pre4 TV series, don't knock it 'cause it would be animated. Knock it 'cause it's a silly premise for a show.
 lukeiamyourdad
03-14-2004, 10:56 PM
Go watch some REAL Anime(non-DBZ, non-pokemon or all that other crap). Cowboy Bebop, Akira, Ghost in the Shell. If those are for kids...sheesh...
 McCusto
03-22-2004, 12:45 PM
I Agree... Also Like Trigun And Lupin The Third :D
 Glaive v.1
03-22-2004, 12:55 PM
I think that after episode III they should just leave it alone a let the games and books continue the story.

And it better not end up like Star Trek.

if it is true thats what it will turn out like. not that i have anything against Star Trek, but star wars and star trek have there own style.
 lukeiamyourdad
03-22-2004, 8:09 PM
Right, Star Trek is boring. period. Except for Spock. That guy is ok.
 dark jedi 8
03-22-2004, 8:16 PM
and william shatner made for some good parodies on madTV and family Guy ect...:D
 Sabretooth
04-04-2004, 9:43 AM
Hmmm... A SW Series? I dunno...
Clone Wars was good, it felt cool to see SW characters in a 2D, animated form but that just isn't it. OK, A Star Wars series can be cool, but not live-action. It'll be cool to do it as a cartoon but from a better, more skilled artist (damn you, Tartavosky). But best, it should be a 3D Series. That too, it should be GOOD! Not something dumb like Max Steel or Dan Dare.

Star Wars-

Movies-Without them, nothing is SW
Clone Wars-Fine, but could've been better
Novels-I've only read the free e-books, you don't get SW Novels in India
Games-Contribute well to the SW universe, but the storylines suck, sometimes
A LA TV Series-Bad
A 2D Series-Better have a good artist
A 3D Series-Gr8, if not screwed up
 StormHammer
04-10-2004, 7:31 PM
The only way they should contemplate bringing Star Wars to the small screen is by way of a serial - like Band Of Brothers. Obviously such a project should have high production values and a decent cast. A serial of about 10 hours might work quite well if properly scripted, and if Spielberg was to get involved, then we know he is certainly capable of producing something of excellent quality.

They should not contemplate a series that would run by traditional seasons, because it will get old fast. I watched the X-Files up to the end of Season 5 and then pretty much lost interest. You can only flog a dead horse so much before it starts making a mess.
 lukeiamyourdad
04-10-2004, 11:03 PM
Even a serial wouldn't work.

Band of Brother's wasn't based off a movie(don't you tell me that Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg are the executive producers and it makes it the Saving Private Ryan serial).

It was based on a book.
 StormHammer
04-11-2004, 2:09 PM
Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad
Band of Brother's wasn't based off a movie(don't you tell me that Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg are the executive producers and it makes it the Saving Private Ryan serial).

It was based on a book.

What does that have to do with anything? It doesn't really matter what the source material is, because it still has to be adapted for the small screen. Script-writing is all important, whether the source material is a movie, a book, or an original concept.

Considering the wealth of Star Wars novels available for adaptation, the point is moot.
Page: 1 of 2