Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Page: 21 of 38
 Shimaon
02-23-2005, 3:17 PM
Fred,
Thanks for the great new version. One little bit though:
I only have TSL installed, so I left all of the KotOR paths blank. When I tried to open an item file via Open GFF (selected edit via KotOR II), it kept saying C:\dialog.tlk could not be found. I then copied my TSL paths to the KotOR paths, and tried it again and it worked. I'm assuming that it's looking for the KotOR I dialog.tlk. This might also be the cause of the TLK lookup name problem mentioned above.

Thanks again.
-Shimaon
 envida
02-23-2005, 3:28 PM
Originally posted by Shimaon
Fred,
I only have TSL installed, so I left all of the KotOR paths blank. When I tried to open an item file via Open GFF (selected edit via KotOR II), it kept saying C:\dialog.tlk could not be found. I then copied my TSL paths to the KotOR paths, and tried it again and it worked. I'm assuming that it's looking for the KotOR I dialog.tlk. This might also be the cause of the TLK lookup name problem mentioned above.

Thanks again.
-Shimaon
That did it for me! I had blank fields for the Kotor dircetory so I put the TSL paths in both and is now working :)
 Fred Tetra
02-23-2005, 4:29 PM
Originally posted by una
Thx for reply, but it didnt work :(.

Tried the latest version from his site and it still crashes right after startup.

Guess i have to stick with the old one.

[list=1]
Perform uninstall
Delete entire Kotor Tool folder. Uninstall does not do this and thus leaves the (possibly incorrect) settings.xml file intact.
Download latest installer if you haven't already
Run in
Run Kotor Tool
Verify that the auto-detected path(s) look right.
[/list=1]
 Fred Tetra
02-23-2005, 4:32 PM
Originally posted by Shimaon
Fred,

Thanks again.
-Shimaon

This problem is corrected (I hope) in the version in development right now. There were a few places I still had yet to make the upgrades needed to support Kotor II.
 Jennaida
02-23-2005, 5:18 PM
Definitely looking forward to the new version! :)
 Fred Tetra
02-23-2005, 8:11 PM
A new version of Kotor Tool will be posted today.

If you're manually downloading, check that the version number is the one below.

v1.0.1880.29681 (2005-02-24)

Features/updates:

Fixed Inventory editor not using correct game's data
Splitter control to allow resizing of inventory treeview
Inventory loading progress indicator
Code to handle extra inventory item types found only in KotOR II
Expand/Collapse treeview buttons for inventory treeview
Inventory editor caption text now indicates version of KotOR data it is working with (I or II)
Inventory names for first 3 items type parents
Updated all GFF classes to use correct dialog.tlk file
Item editor now
Trigger editor will no longer fail if trap type > 13 in KotOR II
Inventory editor can now use 2DA files in Override folder
Updated Item editor so that non-common 2DA files will be loaded as needed instead of generating an error
Updated Conversation editor so that it can display dialog trees correctly. Extended KotOR II fields not yet supported.

Only 800 more posts until my name glows in recognition ;)
 Mr_M
02-23-2005, 8:16 PM
I also had the instant crashing after starting the file as well, I hope the new version fixes it, if anyone could post a link to a older version would help too.

I completly wiped the folders.
 Nodakrattler
02-23-2005, 8:17 PM
You go Fred. Have one on me :guiness:
 Darkkender
02-23-2005, 8:26 PM
Downloading now Fred it looks like you have the problem I found fixed. I'll have to check the placeable editor on the one to see if it vanishes as well.

I have an estimated 400 more posts untill my glow.
 Fred Tetra
02-23-2005, 8:54 PM
Originally posted by Mr_M
I also had the instant crashing after starting the file as well, I hope the new version fixes it, if anyone could post a link to a older version would help too.

I completly wiped the folders.

What is the version of the file that is having that problem? Get the properties on the file, then go to the Version tab, just to be sure.
 Mr_M
02-23-2005, 9:29 PM

kotor_tool.exe Application Error

This application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135) Click on Ok to terminate

Windows XP Pro SP1
 Darkkender
02-23-2005, 9:42 PM
I'm also having the same error when installing Fred. Except since I run win 2k and win 98 the error is:

Failed to initialize setup file.

Hopefully this can help you to fix the problem.
 una
02-23-2005, 9:58 PM
Originally posted by Fred Tetra
[list=1]
Perform uninstall
Delete entire Kotor Tool folder. Uninstall does not do this and thus leaves the (possibly incorrect) settings.xml file intact.
Download latest installer if you haven't already
Run in
Run Kotor Tool
Verify that the auto-detected path(s) look right.
[/list=1]

Did it all with newest version. Still crashes after startup.

If i dont fill in the location of the chitin.key it startsup normally but then i cant do alot in it ofcourse.

Also tried it now on a second computer and same thing happens.

Running win2k on both.
 Dak Vesser
02-23-2005, 10:39 PM
I don't know if this is just me but the new version of KT seems to not recognise the File Paths to KotorII. This may be because I don't have Kotor II installed on my computer, but instead I have the Xbox kotorII TSL copied in Program Files in a Folder in LucasArts, next to SWKotOR called SWKotOR2. But it's not in the registry as being a true installed program. So I guess Kotor Tool won't see it. So for now, I have to put the file Paths in the Kotor1 window so It will read it. As a result, it boots up saying Corrupted chitin.key, but it works without Kotor1...

Is this only my problem?
 SpaceAlex
02-24-2005, 12:43 AM
This version works great for me so far Fred. Great job!
 Leviathan
02-24-2005, 3:48 AM
There's a (small) problem in KotOR Tool and it has never been corrected since the creation of this modding tool.
When you try to read a Conversation file (*.dlg), the properties of an Item file (*.uti) or others elements where there's some text, all particular characters (Like "й", "и", "а", etc...) are replaced by some question marks ("?"), which is very irritating !...
Does it exist a means to "fix" this problem once for all ?...
 Fred Tetra
02-24-2005, 4:46 AM
Originally posted by Mr_M

kotor_tool.exe Application Error

This application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135) Click on Ok to terminate

Windows XP Pro SP1

Have you installed the Microsoft .NET Framework, and if so, which version and Service Pack level?
 Fred Tetra
02-24-2005, 4:52 AM
Originally posted by Darkkender
I'm also having the same error when installing Fred. Except since I run win 2k and win 98 the error is:

Failed to initialize setup file.

Hopefully this can help you to fix the problem.

That message generally means that your download of the installer failed part way through. Dial-up connection, right?

If you have dial-up, put Kotor Tool on the machine (even if KotOR isn't installed there), run it, ignoring the messages about "most things not working" and choose Check for program updates from the Help menu. Kotor Tool can download the file and validate it for you. You can then tell it that you don't want to install immediately and then do it at your leisure.
 Fred Tetra
02-24-2005, 4:53 AM
Originally posted by una
Did it all with newest version. Still crashes after startup.

If i dont fill in the location of the chitin.key it startsup normally but then i cant do alot in it ofcourse.

Also tried it now on a second computer and same thing happens.

Running win2k on both.

You do have the Microsoft .NET Framework installed, right?
 Fred Tetra
02-24-2005, 4:55 AM
Originally posted by Dak Vesser
I don't know if this is just me but the new version of KT seems to not recognise the File Paths to KotorII. This may be because I don't have Kotor II installed on my computer, but instead I have the Xbox kotorII TSL copied in Program Files in a Folder in LucasArts, next to SWKotOR called SWKotOR2. But it's not in the registry as being a true installed program. So I guess Kotor Tool won't see it. So for now, I have to put the file Paths in the Kotor1 window so It will read it. As a result, it boots up saying Corrupted chitin.key, but it works without Kotor1...

Is this only my problem?

Kotor Tool makes no specific attempt to work with the Xbox versions of KotOR, so you will see some errors. However, given that the files are mostly the same, many features will probably work.
 Fred Tetra
02-24-2005, 4:56 AM
Originally posted by SpaceAlex
This version works great for me so far Fred. Great job!

Good to hear it's working for you. :)
 Fred Tetra
02-24-2005, 5:03 AM
Originally posted by Leviathan
There's a (small) problem in KotOR Tool and it has never been corrected since the creation of this modding tool.
When you try to read a Conversation file (*.dlg), the properties of an Item file (*.uti) or others elements where there's some text, all particular characters (Like "й", "и", "а", etc...) are replaced by some question marks ("?"), which is very irritating !...
Does it exist a means to "fix" this problem once for all ?...

Unfortunately, KotOR lives in the old, non-internationalized C++ world, where all characters are represented by 1 byte each. Kotor Tool, on the other hand, written using the Microsoft .NET Framework, stores such "special" characters in a standard 2 byte pair. This makes for a big hassle when trying to deal with strings in a single-byte-per-character environment. I have yet to figure out an efficient conversion technique; today one must read each character of each string, check if it is one of the special cases, and determine the single-byte replacement. This hurts performance.

So, for the present, there isn't any Kotor Tool-centric solution. You could, perhaps, use the generic Bioware GFF editor to update your text strings.
 Leviathan
02-24-2005, 5:11 AM
So, for the present, there isn't any Kotor Tool-centric solution. You could, perhaps, use the generic Bioware GFF editor to update your text strings.
It's already done ! I've adopted this GFF Editor. It is perhaps not as ergonomic as KotOR Tool but it is at least also powerful...
 Fred Tetra
02-24-2005, 5:46 AM
Originally posted by Leviathan
It's already done ! I've adopted this GFF Editor. It is perhaps not as ergonomic as KotOR Tool but it is at least also powerful...

I agree; it is sort of like using a Hex editor to write a resume' or using only hand tools to build a house. Possible but unpleasant! :)
 Fred Tetra
02-24-2005, 5:48 AM
Originally posted by Darkkender
Downloading now Fred it looks like you have the problem I found fixed. I'll have to check the placeable editor on the one to see if it vanishes as well.

I have an estimated 400 more posts untill my glow.

I found a minor "cut-and-paste-repairable" problem in the Item editor that was preventing the Base items combobox from displaying data from the baseitems.2da when it was located in the Override folder.

It has now been fixed and will appear in the next release of Kotor Tool.
 Fred Tetra
02-24-2005, 5:53 AM
I fixed another problem that will allow mods like "Segan Wyndh's Armor" to be opened correctly.

I should be able to post an update by this evening.
 ChAiNz.2da
02-24-2005, 6:15 AM
I fixed another problem that will allow mods like "Segan Wyndh's Armor" to be opened correctly.

hehe... leave it to me to create a problem mod ;)

Just keeping you on your toes Fred and thanks for the fix!... :lol:
 Darkkender
02-24-2005, 6:37 AM

I'll have to wait untill tonight to try your suggestions above this post as I'm at work right now. However with the new fixed version coming I might just await it and see if it initializes fine.;)
 una
02-24-2005, 7:39 AM
You do have the Microsoft .NET Framework installed, right?

lol, yeah i do
 Fred Tetra
02-24-2005, 7:56 AM
Originally posted by una
lol, yeah i do

If it won't start up for you, please email the settings.xml file and a copy of the error message text. For most errors, a box pops up that has a Details button on it. Copy all of the detail text up to but not including the "loaded assemblies" part and include it as well.
 una
02-24-2005, 10:39 AM
If it won't start up for you, please email the settings.xml file and a copy of the error message text. For most errors, a box pops up that has a Details button on it. Copy all of the detail text up to but not including the "loaded assemblies" part and include it as well.

It doesnt give me a error. I start it up, it asks me to specify the kotor path, it has the correct path so i click ok. It then gives a chitin key corrupt error and then i can see the editor a split second before it crashes without a error message.

If i dont give a path for the chitin key it doesnt crash but i cant do alot in the editor then.

Up to the 1.0.863.39525 the tool worked good but the newest versions give me these problems.

I will send the the settings.xml to the emailadress.

Thank you for your time =)
 Fred Tetra
02-24-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by una
It doesnt give me a error. I start it up, it asks me to specify the kotor path, it has the correct path so i click ok. It then gives a chitin key corrupt error and then i can see the editor a split second before it crashes without a error message.

If i dont give a path for the chitin key it doesnt crash but i cant do alot in the editor then.

Up to the 1.0.863.39525 the tool worked good but the newest versions give me these problems.

I will send the the settings.xml to the emailadress.

Thank you for your time =)

Are you sure you haven't accidently entered the wrong game's path in each section? That is, you didn't, for example, put the KotOR II path info in the KotOR I section, did you? (I've seen people do strange stuff, so I have to ask)
 Lorden Darkblade
02-24-2005, 12:06 PM
I have a question, when this new version will be out?
I keep going to your site and it is still the same...
 una
02-24-2005, 12:21 PM
Are you sure you haven't accidently entered the wrong game's path in each section? That is, you didn't, for example, put the KotOR II path info in the KotOR I section, did you? (I've seen people do strange stuff, so I have to ask)

I can understand that you ask these questions but the paths are ok. It leaves kotor 1 paths blank because it aint installed and the kotor2 paths are the correct ones.
 Mr_M
02-24-2005, 2:14 PM
Add Removing .NET and then redling it from Windows Update fixed the problem!
 The Lone Badger
02-24-2005, 2:50 PM
I've just started fiddling around with .uti files using Kotor Tool, and I'm wondering if there's any way to edit item upgradeability using it. I've looked at Achilles' 'Upgradeable Lightsaber' tutorial, but it involves hex editing and looks scary, whereas the uti editor has nice boxes for values and pull-down menus.. I'm trying to make an upgradeable version of the quarterstaff, if it's relevant.

Apologies if this has already been asked/answered, but it's difficult to search at the moment.
 envida
02-24-2005, 5:17 PM
Originally posted by The Lone Badger
I've just started fiddling around with .uti files using Kotor Tool, and I'm wondering if there's any way to edit item upgradeability using it. I've looked at Achilles' 'Upgradeable Lightsaber' tutorial, but it involves hex editing and looks scary, whereas the uti editor has nice boxes for values and pull-down menus.. I'm trying to make an upgradeable version of the quarterstaff, if it's relevant.

Apologies if this has already been asked/answered, but it's difficult to search at the moment.

Just open it in a gff editor and change the field "UpgradeLevel" value to 1 or 2. You can now upgrade it at the workbench. Not sure if you need the value 1 or 2. Try both and see what happens :D

Edit: you might even try 3 as the upgradelevel :rolleyes:
 Fred Tetra
02-24-2005, 5:49 PM
Originally posted by Uchiha Itachi
I have a question, when this new version will be out?
I keep going to your site and it is still the same...

The latest version posted is v1.0.1880.29681 (2005-02-24).
 tk102
02-24-2005, 6:08 PM
Originally posted by una
I can understand that you ask these questions but the paths are ok. I can. Having TSL files in KotOR's override will crash KSE too. ;) ;)
 Dak Vesser
02-24-2005, 8:33 PM
I just wanted to say : Thank you Fred for making this excellent program for us to use. All the Modded Xbox Game Saves I made where becuse of Kotor Tool.

Just wanted to say that.
 The Lone Badger
02-25-2005, 2:52 AM
Originally posted by envida
Just open it in a gff editor and change the field "UpgradeLevel" value to 1 or 2. You can now upgrade it at the workbench. Not sure if you need the value 1 or 2. Try both and see what happens :D

Edit: you might even try 3 as the upgradelevel :rolleyes:

Ok, I can't find this in the GUI GFF editor, so I load up KT's GFF text editor and change the relevant value. I then find that any .uti that has been saved by said editor cannot be added by the 'giveitem' command (gives a null grenade) and is invisible to KSE when building the item list. The item doesn't seem to really exist. Obviously I'm doing something badly wrong with the text editor, but I don't see what. The problem occurs even if I don't change anything, if I just open a file and immediately resave it.
 Fred Tetra
02-25-2005, 4:32 AM
Originally posted by Dak Vesser
I just wanted to say : Thank you Fred for making this excellent program for us to use. All the Modded Xbox Game Saves I made where becuse of Kotor Tool.

Just wanted to say that.

I'm glad it works for you on the Xbox!
 ChAiNz.2da
02-25-2005, 4:39 AM
Originally posted by una
It leaves kotor 1 paths blank because it aint installed and the kotor2 paths are the correct ones.
Hey Una,
Didi you check the other posts n the thread concerning this? Apparently, leaving the KotOR I paths blank, wether it's installed or not, can cause problems. For now, use TSL's paths for both filed sets. That might help... :)
 Fred Tetra
02-25-2005, 4:40 AM
Originally posted by The Lone Badger
Ok, I can't find this in the GUI GFF editor, so I load up KT's GFF text editor and change the relevant value. I then find that any .uti that has been saved by said editor cannot be added by the 'giveitem' command (gives a null grenade) and is invisible to KSE when building the item list. The item doesn't seem to really exist. Obviously I'm doing something badly wrong with the text editor, but I don't see what. The problem occurs even if I don't change anything, if I just open a file and immediately resave it.

Kotor Tool does not yet support the additional fields added to many of the GFF-based file types used by KotOR II.

Also, Kotor Tool does not have a text-based GFF editor. It has a "View GFF files as text" function, but the operative word here is View, as in "look at". If you are trying to use files saved from the text editor in the game, they will not work; they are text files, not GFF files.
 Pnut_Man
02-25-2005, 5:15 AM
I have reached somewhat of a dilemma, and this may be due to the override files I have, but anyway...

I'm on Nar Shardda. Red Eclipse trandos assaulted me on the way to the Ebon Hawk, but when I board the ship...

I find the thing completely empty: No party members, no Red Eclipse captain, and i'm still in active 3 party member mode.

I noticed the numeric option in the kotor editing tool....Perhaps there is a way to modify my save file and bypass this problem?
 Darkkender
02-25-2005, 6:24 AM
Originally posted by Tomar_Dicol
I have reached somewhat of a dilemma, and this may be due to the override files I have, but anyway...

I'm on Nar Shardda. Red Eclipse trandos assaulted me on the way to the Ebon Hawk, but when I board the ship...

I find the thing completely empty: No party members, no Red Eclipse captain, and i'm still in active 3 party member mode.

I noticed the numeric option in the kotor editing tool....Perhaps there is a way to modify my save file and bypass this problem?

This is most assuredly a overide file conflict that is causing this. You may want to get a moderator to move this to the main forum for some troubleshooting advice.

@Fred, I got the latest release downloaded. The utp file is still providing the same error I'll send a screenshot of the error I'm getting. Also since talking about the placeable editor I discovered it is now missing button to apply changes to the inventory where there used to be buttons. Once again I can email you screenies if you wish.
 Fred Tetra
02-25-2005, 7:27 AM
I discovered the source of the Inventory editor OK issue.

The editor is used by a number of other editors; some need it's configuration to be specific to their purpose.

When the Inventory editor was called upon by the Placeable editor, it wasn't putting the buttons in the right spot; they were hidden behind the grid view. This has been fixed and will show up in the next release.
 JamieKirby
02-25-2005, 12:21 PM
Hiya, i have a problem, everytime i try to use your new kotor_tool version, it detects Kotor II right away, but when i click on ok, it says my Chitin.key file is not valid and is corrupted and that i need to reinstall the game to fix it.

(i have reinstalled the game 20 times and same result, i have reinstalled windows to see if it would fix it then, but same thing.

I think i will stick with the old version.....the not so compatible one, which accually works better then the compatible one. (thats kinda ironic eh?)

I am sure it is probably illegal to send me non-corrupted chitin.key file, so i won't bother asking.

Is this program designed to work with all versions or just the original???
 The Lone Badger
02-25-2005, 12:45 PM
I'm not quite sure what you're asking here - your chitin.key file is fine, not corrupt at all, but the old version of Kotor Tool detects it incorrectly as corrupt. You appear to know this, since you talk about not downloading the new version (which detects correctly). Unless you're talking about the old (KoTOR 1 only version) as opposed to the new (both games) version, in which case you need to get the new new version from Fred's site.
 JamieKirby
02-25-2005, 12:54 PM
ok.....i think you missed something.

the version for just Kotor worked fine on Kotor II, the new one doesn't. (ironic that the new one designed to work on Kotor II doesn't work on it for me)

I have tried this version: v1.0.1880.29681

and i get the same error.
Page: 21 of 38