Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Basic Ideas: Death Tracker (not really like a 'kill' tracker')

Page: 1 of 1
 Radd
01-03-2004, 10:43 PM
This is basically cut from another thread I started elsewhere, but I figured more of the people that should see it, would, if I posted it here.

Now I've seen few people bring it up, but one thing that has always irked me about the Jedi Knight games is that in multiplayer they keep track of how many kills you have, but not how many times you've died.

I've also noticed that a lot of the time, the people with the highest scores are also the people that die the most, because it's much easier to land a kill when you don't care about getting hurt yourself, and it's much more difficult to land a kill when you ARE worried about dying.

I also see lots of people jumping into a mass of swinging lightsabers, dying, then jumping right back in...hoping to take one, maybe two people down before dying each time.

I know that random ideas flung into a forum like this are not likely to be taken up, but I'm no programmer myself. Has anyone every seriously considered coding some sort of admin mod or anything that would track deaths? Is it even possible? I'm surprised Raven hasn't added something like that themselves. Either taking points away whenever you die (not just when you kill yourself), or keeping track of deaths and kills independantly.

I'm not talking like one of those scripts that tells how many times you've been killed by so and so, I mean on the actual in-game "scoreboard" where everyone can see it whenever they press Tab.

I think something like that would add a bit more strategy to the game, and require a more skill to maintain a high score, instead of simply lunging at a mass of players, trying to take one down before you get cut up yourself.

Anyone else have any opinions on this? Or maybe there already are mods like this that I'm not aware of? I'm not expecting someone to leap at the idea and have a mod out by Tuesday, but I would be interested to hear what other people have to say about the idea.
 RenegadeOfPhunk
01-03-2004, 11:13 PM
I agree -this would be nice info to have during the game, and it won't be too much trouble to add at all.

...I'll put it right into the scoreboard as standard info.

I'll put it on my TO-DO list. Expect to see this in the next OJP version - assuming the rest of the contributors don't have a problem with this going in...
 razorace
01-04-2004, 12:33 AM
I don't have a problem with it.

However, I'm not sure we should have it impact your score. That would change the game dynamic quite a bit.
 RenegadeOfPhunk
01-04-2004, 1:07 AM
However, I'm not sure we should have it impact your score. That would change the game dynamic quite a bit.

Na, I wouldn't have it replace the score, that can stay exactly as it is now. THe 'kills' and 'deaths' numbers would be extra information. THere is plenty of room to squeeze two extra numbers across the scoreboard width...
 Samuel Dravis
01-04-2004, 4:15 AM
Either taking points away whenever you die (not just when you kill yourself) If that is put in, it should be a server variable and defaulted to OFF. That would be a major gameplay change, like Razor said.
 keshire
01-07-2004, 6:00 AM
I have another idea.

Also how about implemting rewards. to the scoreboard. Just a simple icon would do.

Such as most headshots.
most kills done with gun or saber. etc etc...

I remember Golden Eye for Nintendo 64 had that. And it was always a hoot.
 Admiral Chemix
01-07-2004, 1:11 PM
back in ef it would show awards, fragging so many is so much time got this and fragging so many people with mines gets u this, and this got u that and that got u this, it would be a great thing to implement in jka. except different awards. With the right adjustments it could work very well, if this double posts, know that I did not intentionaly double post and it's caused by a bug in the board, if this becomes a double poster it probaly won't show up for a few hours I won't be around then
 razorace
01-07-2004, 7:17 PM
Sounds like a good idea. From what I've seen in the code, it looks like the awards system is still at least partially there.
 GothiX
01-07-2004, 7:59 PM
How about -1 to your score for every 3 times you're killed?
 Teancum
01-22-2004, 7:29 AM
Once you guys get this together, I'll hook you up with the menu updates. I've got the menu system down pretty well.
Page: 1 of 1