Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Enhanced WIP & Brainstorming: Saber Throw Mechanics

Page: 1 of 1
 keshire
12-26-2003, 10:57 AM
Per RazorAce I'm creating a new topic for this.

Here's my proposal. (and this includes anytime the saber is not in-hand)

The current saber throw mechanics are not representative of the Star Wars Universe. Currently its little more than a yo-yo.

I'd like to make saber throw a single use power.
You throw it and its gone. (until you force pull it back)
I'd also like it to change owners to whoever used forcepull on it.

I'd like to give semi-realistic physics.
Wall sticking. (being worked on)
Player sticking. (Instant death lock win, or stab down when knocked down death)

I'm open to any/all suggestions.

Currently I have the saber sticking in the walls. It stays put until 3 seconds have passed and the attack button is pressed. Then it drops to the ground ready to be pulled back.
 razorace
12-26-2003, 7:10 PM
I suggest that you make it so you can't turn the saber on/off while it's not in your hand. In addition, unless it hits and sticks into something (or slices thru it), it should automatically turn off on collision.
 keshire
12-31-2003, 11:13 AM
I'm going to have to step back for a little bit and think on this sticking. Its not wanting to cooperate with me. I'm going to need a new function and probably go ahead and make a new sticking flag.

Also I'd like to redo the current throw and make it similar to the way the thermal det is handled. Charge up the throw to determine the distance. Your force level sets the arc, and speed of the spin.

I'm also looking into letting you switch weapons the moment the throw is made. (since the saber won't come back on its own it can stand to wait a little)

After the New Year I'll be hitting up all you coders (Ren and Razor) ;) for some side help since I don't know what I'm doing.
 keshire
01-03-2004, 10:34 AM
This is what I have done.

The saber nows arcs with gravity while spinning in a vertical direction.

upon hitting something its turned off.
from there you can leave it be and CHANGE WEAPONS (haha one line commented out to achieve) Probably try and set it to melee by default

currently I have the saberthrow button pulling back the saber.
The saber does not reactivate unless your throw level is 3.

simple changes but big effect.

What still needs to be done.

Sticking needs to be reworked and only possible with throw level 2 or higher.
when unstuck:
level 2 just drops to ground.
level 3 comes right back after wiggling free.

The gravity arc and distance needs to be modified by throw level.

The damage needs to be increased across the board since throwing leaves you at a severe disadvantage.

and finally I want to check to see if the chest bolt is hit on droids and then stick the saber to it.

does that about cover everything? Any questions or suggestions?
 razorace
01-03-2004, 10:39 PM
Sounds good so far. However, I would set things up so that sabers that are stuck into things can't be pulled back by the Force and have to be grabbed manually.....unless the user is at an angle where the saber's hilt is facing him (so the Force would pull the saber straight out).
 da_chimp
01-04-2004, 8:43 AM
can you make it so that it doesnt spin
and sticks in without that silly auto appear back in hand after so long
and it has ammo cause im makeing a medevil mod with spears and stuff which stick out of the corpses and such and i might even make a LOTR version but im not so good at codeing thanks
 Labes
01-04-2004, 3:49 PM
Originally posted by keshire
The damage needs to be increased across the board since throwing leaves you at a severe disadvantage.

I believe I read somewhere on here that razorace is making it so sabers don't pass through people when it is a non-fatal hit?

If so, then is the saber throw going to be a 1-hit kill? Or will the saber bounce off the person and deactivate unti the user calls it back?

Seems to me a spinning blade through the air would cleave through someone. And it wouldn't be that hard to dodge, just sidestep a bit... But thats just me.

The gravity arc and distance needs to be modified by throw level.

So is is gonna arc now? I must as why? The Jedi/DJ is using the force to guide the saber, so why wouldn't they throw it straight instead of arcing it?

Just seems like it would cause problems with the saber arcing over people when the user tries to throw it into them and stuff... But thats just me.
 razorace
01-04-2004, 6:05 PM
Well, for Saber Throws, he's going to have to figure out some realistic damage calculations. Obviously a poor saber throw that hits at a weird angle shouldn't cause lethal damage.

As for arcing, after talking with Kenshire, I think he stated that there's probably going to be some sort of hybrid between arcing saber throws and using the Force to hold the throw steady.
 keshire
01-06-2004, 4:21 AM
Sounds good so far. However, I would set things up so that sabers that are stuck into things can't be pulled back by the Force and have to be grabbed manually.....unless the user is at an angle where the saber's hilt is facing him (so the Force would pull the saber straight out).

Do-able and more sensible. If they want to disable it from distance they can just toggle it off.

can you make it so that it doesnt spin and sticks in without that silly auto appear back in hand after so long
and it has ammo cause im makeing a medevil mod with spears and stuff which stick out of the corpses and such and i might even make a LOTR version but im not so good at codeing thanks

Yes its possible and I think renegade was interested in it too for his Gungan class. But I won't be tackling that because it could be made using a new weapon type which would make more sense.

If so, then is the saber throw going to be a 1-hit kill? Or will the saber bounce off the person and deactivate unti the user calls it back?

As of now it hits, does damage, and deactivates. But it is lethal when the damage scale is adjusted.

So is is gonna arc now? I must as why? The Jedi/DJ is using the force to guide the saber, so why wouldn't they throw it straight instead of arcing it?

As for arcing, after talking with Kenshire, I think he stated that there's probably going to be some sort of hybrid between arcing saber throws and using the Force to hold the throw steady.

Its far from a wide arc and is easily controllable and aimable. It goes a set distance before gravity has a major role. And if I can I'll try having the button prolong the distance, but more than likely I'll need help with that.

And the more I look at that damage function the more it scares me. I'll see what I can do. I'll try to just kill the current throw damage function and add some statements in to the standard damage function. Much how the position update function incorporates it all.
 razorace
01-14-2004, 2:27 AM
Ok dokie, I'm back from vacation and ready to bust up some code.

Kenshire, I know you've been hanging on this for a while and I didn't exactly bail you out. I'm sorry and I hope I can make it up to you.

Please contact me thru email, or better yet, on MSN so we can work on this bad boy and get it working right. :)
Page: 1 of 1