Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The mapping newbie strikes back!

Page: 1 of 1
 |GG|Carl
12-17-2003, 7:15 PM
I have some questions about mapping, and I hope you can answer them.

1. I want to put a poster on a wall, but when I place it on the wall, it's "in the wrong way". So If there is something written on the texture, you have to read it from the right to the left. The text is also mirrored(sp?). How to make it face the right direction?

Here follows two a little strange questions:

2. Does shiny floor cause very much lag, or just a little? (I understand that it depends pretty much on the computer, but you know what I mean)

3. Is area portals important? What if I wouldn't place any on my map? (I have placed area portals on my map, I'm just curious!)
 GothiX
12-17-2003, 7:25 PM
Originally posted by |GG|Carl
I have some questions about mapping, and I hope you can answer them.

1. I want to put a poster on a wall, but when I place it on the wall, it's "in the wrong way". So If there is something written on the texture, you have to read it from the right to the left. The text is also mirrored(sp?). How to make it face the right direction?

Here follows two a little strange questions:

2. Does shiny floor cause very much lag, or just a little? (I understand that it depends pretty much on the computer, but you know what I mean)

3. Is area portals important? What if I wouldn't place any on my map? (I have placed area portals on my map, I'm just curious!)

1. Flip over the texture in an image-editing program.

2. True reflections (mirrors) do, just "shiny" floors do not.

3. Take them out, and have a look at your r_speeds. ;)
 SD_Radical_Ed
12-17-2003, 8:29 PM
there is a much easier way to get that texture to flip over. gothicx is wrong about that. all you have to do is:

1: in gtkradiant, find the texture that is flipped the wrong way

2: in the 3d view, make sure nothing is selected and then hold down ctrl+shift and left click on the surface with the texture on it.

3: next press the "s" key and a window with a bunch of values will pop up. find the one that says "horizontal stretch". it should have a negative value next to it in the variable box. ie: (-.00399)

4:select that variable and just delete the negative in front of it, i.e.:( .00399) and then click "apply" at the bottom, and then change the horizontal shift variable to where its centered and then click"done".

that easy. im a noob too(kinda, to ja & jo editing at least), i know how u feel.:D
 GothiX
12-18-2003, 9:08 AM
That'd make it hard to fit on a surface later on. Besides, it's more work.

But of course, why do something the easy way, when there's a hard way to do it?:p
 SD_Radical_Ed
12-18-2003, 4:22 PM
its not really that hard once you do it. but to each his own i guess...
 |GG|Carl
12-18-2003, 4:55 PM
I think I'll just flip it over in photoshop.

Thanks for the answers!
 idontlikegeorge
12-18-2003, 7:07 PM
No, flipping the image in an image program IS THE HARD WAY TO DO IT.

Ed just described it horribly.

All you have to do, is change the horizontal scale of the surface to a positive number.

So, select the surface, open surface inspector, under H Scale, take off the - before the number, and it will flip the texture horizontally (so it will appear left-to-right).

I mean, I learned this when I was making Half-Life maps.

But, by flipping the actual texture in a program, you have to: extract the base image, load it into the program, flip it in the program, save it to a new image, and repackage the new image - plus it will raise your package size for a worthless image!
 GothiX
12-18-2003, 7:12 PM
Not at all, you can take the old one out. And if your surfcae is, say, 64x65 map units, you'll have a hard time flipping it over!
 |GG|Carl
12-18-2003, 8:51 PM
I used idontlikegeorge and SD_Radical_Ed's method, and it worked fine :D

But I have some new questions:

1. Some textures I've done by myself shows up on when I open my texture folder in gtkradiant, but some pictures aren't there, and some pctures show up as a small red-black (texture not found) box. How do I convert my pictures and what shall I convert them to? (all pictures are .jpg, I'm not dumb!)

2. Can I place area portals "inside" func_plats, func_trains, func_breakables or something?
 lassev
12-19-2003, 5:33 AM
Originally posted by |GG|Carl
I used idontlikegeorge and SD_Radical_Ed's method, and it
2. Can I place area portals "inside" func_plats, func_trains, func_breakables or something?

You can indeed place areaportals where ever you want, but the success is not quaranteed. Normally they work automatically with func_doors, but with other funcs you might not be so lucky. Although I haven't checked it with JA, but in JO there was a very nice script command adjust_areaportals (or something like that) that made the areaportals work very fine with func_statics (I almost always used only func_statics for my elevators, but I mapped SP anyway). Without the script command you got HOM, so it was a must.

Things may have changed with JA, and so you should always try. Maybe it's even easier and more flexible now...
 |GG|Carl
12-19-2003, 9:52 AM
I put an area_portal inside a func_breakable (It covers the opening to a passage), and it seems like it works.
 GothiX
12-19-2003, 11:37 AM
For the other question, are your textures the power of two? (sides of 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512 or 1024 pixels).
 |GG|Carl
12-20-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by gothicX
For the other question, are your textures the power of two? (sides of 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512 or 1024 pixels).
Aha! Maybe they are not! I'll check it up!

EDIT: Allright, they were not the right size;) Now it works.

:pBut it isn't over yet, I have a few more questions:

1. Does misc_models affect the fps much or just a little?

2. How do I turn emplaced guns around? I can only get them to point one way.
 GothiX
12-20-2003, 10:28 AM
1. Depends on the complexity of the model. If a model has a high polycount, it'll affect framerate more.

2. Use the "angle" in the entity window.
 |GG|Carl
12-21-2003, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the answers!

But... I have one more question:
How do I mke func_plats "stay where they are". For example: I go up with an elevator. When I get off it, it moves to the buttom again. But how do I make it stay up there until I walk on it again?
 GothiX
12-21-2003, 1:20 PM
Sadly, that's now how func_plats work. You can, however, make another trigger at the top, so it comes up when you're near it.
 |GG|Carl
12-21-2003, 1:28 PM
I have now created a button at the top of the lift, which makes it move up. But when I enter it, it just stands still. And as soon as I get of it, it starts to move! :fist:

What to do? :giveup:
 GothiX
12-21-2003, 1:35 PM
You could play around a bit with the "lip" key on the func_door, I believe that's also what raven did for several maps.
 |GG|Carl
12-21-2003, 2:09 PM
You could play around a bit with the "lip" key on the func_door, I believe that's also what raven did for several maps.
:confused: What does it do?
 GothiX
12-21-2003, 2:32 PM
read the entity description in GTK. :)
 |GG|Carl
12-22-2003, 9:15 AM
"lip" default 8, protrusion above rest position
:eyeraise:

I don't think I understand...
 GothiX
12-22-2003, 9:23 AM
If a func_door moves somewhere, a small portion of the door remains in the "original" position. The size of that portion is defined by the "lip" key. If you set the "lip" to a negative value, it will move further.

If you'd happen to have MSN, I'll help you out that way. ;)
 |GG|Carl
12-22-2003, 9:53 AM
It's a func_plat, not a func_door.
So I don't understand why I shall use "lip" on my elevator.
:confused:

PS. I have msn, it's: carlydergard@netscape.net
 UniKorn
12-23-2003, 10:06 AM
Select your func_plat and press n. Look at the description of everything, and you'll get an idea of the functionality of each option.
 |GG|Carl
12-25-2003, 9:14 PM
Allright, gothicX helped me via msn. Thanks a lot!

However, todays questions (:doh: will they ever come to an end?)

1. Where shall I place target_speakers? They don't work if I just place them anywhere.:(

I have a room on my map with a button in it. when you press the button there is disco light (and supposed-to-be-there-music).
I have a few questions about it:

2a. How do I make the music change, when you press the button.

2b. How do I make the everything stop after a while?
 |GG|Carl
12-30-2003, 11:50 AM
*bump*

No one knows?
 cyb
01-03-2004, 3:55 PM
You need to place the speakers in a direct line with their triggers.

I.E. The speakers cannot be in the next room, through a wall, through a door, etc. One speaker can play different sounds, triggered by different triggers, but at different times. Only one speaker is needed per room type thing.(I did this once in a JO map, working on it in JA)

Hope this helps,
cyb

P.S. Same principle if you use the text speakers:blubounc: :ltblubou: :urpboun: :redbounc: :yelbounc: :grnbounc: :bounc4: :bounc5:
 GothiX
01-03-2004, 5:04 PM
For as far as I know, the speaker problem is solved via MSN (again.) :p
 |GG|Carl
01-03-2004, 7:53 PM
For as far as I know, the speaker problem is solved via MSN (again.) :p
Yeah, gothicX helped me out (again :doh: ).

Originally posted by cyb
P.S. Same principle if you use the text speakers
text speakers?
Never heard of it... What do they do?
Page: 1 of 1