Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Effects questions

Page: 1 of 1
 Druid Bremen
11-16-2003, 7:37 AM
Ok, I have this effect which starts off. I want it to turn on by a trigger, before turning off after a set time. How do I do this? Thanks in advance.
 WadeV1589
11-16-2003, 10:43 AM
func_usable-->target_relay-->fx_runner
| /|\
\|/ |
target_delay----------------

So that's a func_usable going to both a target_relay and a target_delay both of which go to the fx_runner.

Set the func_usable to always_on, player_use and give it a wait value higher than what you want for the time the fx_runner should run for.

Give the target_relay a wait value just a bit less than that of the func_usable - this would be the time you want to fx_runner to run for.

Set the fx_runner to one_shot and and fill out it's fxFile value.
 TPM_Montross
11-16-2003, 1:34 PM
wouldnt it have to have 2 targets how does that work? or are u saying they should have the same target name?
 WadeV1589
11-16-2003, 2:59 PM
Wouldn't what have to have 2 targets? The diagram and explanation above would work fine...I can't work out where you think you need 2 targets.

On unless the func_usable going to both the target_relay and target_delay is confusing you.

func_usable target: effect_togglers
target_delay targetname: effect_togglers
target_delay target: fx_effect
taget_relay targetname: effect_togglers
target_relay target: fx_effect
fx_runner targetname: fx_effect

You can point to more than one entity from any other and multiple entities can point to a single one.

If you just connected the func_usable to a target_relay and straight to the fx_runner you'd end up with the target_relay having its target and targetname fields the same which spews out horrid errors in game about entities calling themselves, so you need the relay in there as well to act as an intermediary.
 DarkLord60
11-16-2003, 9:23 PM
Hey there is another DarkLord in here cool!
 Druid Bremen
11-16-2003, 10:28 PM
Now, I need some more help on another effect. I want it turned off by another trigger, before turning on after a set time. Kinda opposite of the other.

P.S. Its you again, huh, Wade? :P
 WadeV1589
11-17-2003, 1:30 AM
Exactly the same as before with the only exception being that you don't want to set the fx_runner to be one_shot. Just make an fx_runner and specify the fxFile only, then when you first trigger it it will turn off then after x seconds (specified in target_delay) it will turn back on. As always remember to set the wait value of the func_usable slightly higher than the target_delay.
 Druid Bremen
11-17-2003, 3:21 AM
So, umm, I make it start on, right?
 WadeV1589
11-17-2003, 10:15 AM
Just by specifying an fxFile for an fx_runner it starts on. That is its default behaviour.
Page: 1 of 1