Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Hilt Pack

Page: 3 of 3
 El Sitherino
04-19-2004, 9:25 AM
*weeps silently*:(
 alaris
05-15-2004, 6:57 AM
Alas, I am alive. I sincerely apologize for the long delay, but there is a good reason. I got really sick over the hollidays, and my eyes started displaying afterimages almost immediately (most noticeable while reading or looking at monitors). I saw a couple of eye doctors, and the problem has lessened a bit, but it may not go away. Needless to say, modelling and skinning have become a bit more challenging with this new problem.

I wanted to add a few more hilts, but I will release the hilt pack as is (see below).

http://members.cox.net/ryanhutchings/lightsabers.jpg)

I will release two versions--A MP version and a SP version.

Thanks for all the interest in this project. I will submit to Lucasfiles.com within the next few days.
 ronbrothers
05-15-2004, 10:47 AM
It's great to see you back, Alaris. Looking forward to the release.
 Prime
05-15-2004, 4:22 PM
Sorry to hear about your medical troubles, Alaris. Glad things are getting a bit better... :)

Hearing that this project is still underway is the best news I've heard around here in some time...
 alaris
05-15-2004, 7:29 PM
Thanks Prime. The hilt pack is submitted to www.lucasfiles.com), and I updated the screenshot above with a better render. Enjoy!
 Hellfire Jedi
05-15-2004, 9:40 PM
Get your player model finished, Alaris! :D
 alaris
05-15-2004, 9:57 PM
lol, it's pretty much finished. I could at least release a MP version.
 Darth Stryke
05-17-2004, 12:02 AM
Alaris, that hilt pack is simply amazing. Comparing your film hilts to my Master Replicas props, I must say you missed no details atall. Beautiful work with them all, I especially like the last custom hilt in the pic :D Best of luck with future projects and with your medical issues.
 Miko Reglia
05-17-2004, 3:29 AM
Those are so awsome alaris!

I love Obi-Wan's and Qui-Gon's sabers.:)
 Hekx
05-17-2004, 6:10 AM
Any chance of submitting to some other JKA sites? (jk3files.com & pcgamemods.com)
 Prime
05-18-2004, 4:27 PM
Originally posted by Tet Akito
Any chance of submitting to some other JKA sites? (jk3files.com & pcgamemods.com) This would definitely help the distribution. But I'm just so happy they are releasing them at all. :)
 ObiKast
05-18-2004, 6:20 PM
I cant find the link.:(
 ronbrothers
05-18-2004, 8:53 PM
Me neither.
 RJW_ca
05-19-2004, 2:30 AM
The hilts are on the new file section in lucasfiles

Just click on the link then click on download now!!!
Alaris Hilt Pack for Jedi Academy (http://www.lucasfiles.com/index.php?s=&action=file&id=564)
good job Alaris

the only thing is the Dooku saber doesn't hold downward like in the movies does anyone know how to fix that???

RJW_ca

RJW_ca@hotmail.com

going to be my new site with pic's of models I'm working on (http://www.freewebs.com/rjw.ca/)
 Mex
05-19-2004, 2:41 AM
:eek: *Stares blankly for a few minutes*

..... *Clicks on JA at the speed of lightning*
 alaris
05-19-2004, 3:14 PM
Eh, not sure what you mean by upside-down, since the saber looks right in that pic. As for your other issue, the hilt pack isn't compatible with any other SP hilt pack. I could release a MP version only pack if anyone's interested.

Eets told me that lucasfiles was the only place people get files nowadays, but if jk3files and that other place are still up, I'll submit there as well.
 CaladienJedi
05-19-2004, 3:34 PM
Speaking of the devil!!! What ever happened to your playermodel?
 Godzilla
05-19-2004, 9:57 PM
I pray your eyes get better Alaris! Thanks for the hilts!
 Prime
05-20-2004, 3:36 PM
Originally posted by alaris
Eets told me that lucasfiles was the only place people get files nowadays, but if jk3files and that other place are still up, I'll submit there as well. A lot of people use pcgamemods.com as well. But it is up to you.

Again, simply outstanding work! :)
 ronbrothers
05-21-2004, 12:57 AM
The work on these sabers are absolutely beautiful. I have one small observation, though. Doesn't the diameter of the staff sabers seem out of scale? It may just be me, but the diameter seems much larger than that of the single sabers in game.
 ronbrothers
05-21-2004, 1:02 AM
Eh, not sure what you mean by upside-down, since the saber looks right in that pic. As for your other issue, the hilt pack isn't compatible with any other SP hilt pack. I could release a MP version only pack if anyone's interested.

Eets told me that lucasfiles was the only place people get files nowadays, but if jk3files and that other place are still up, I'll submit there as well.

I see what he means. According to his pic, if you were holding the hilt down at your side and activate, the blade would extend toward your rear instead of your front. Strange, I don't have that problem (see above post).
 alaris
05-21-2004, 3:25 PM
This is the one thing I loath after releasing stuff. The nit picking. Let's just pretend the jedi activate the lightsaber and then rotate in their hand for grip purposes. Or we could pretend they use the force to activate their lightsabers since they are so familiar with their hilt. I've seen pictures of mace holding his hilt in both directions, so let's not nit pick please.

As far as the thickness of the double-bladed hilts, it looks like the Maul hilt is a bit thick. Oops.
 Mex
05-21-2004, 5:59 PM
You lot should be a bit more greatful since Alaris actually finished this even with bad eyes. No more nit-picking damnit. :indif:
 El Sitherino
05-21-2004, 6:24 PM
I love your mace saber Alaris! ^_^ *gives you a big hug and a hershey's kiss*
 ronbrothers
05-21-2004, 8:28 PM
Originally posted by Michaelmexp
You lot should be a bit more greatful since Alaris actually finished this even with bad eyes. No more nit-picking damnit. :indif:

I did not intend my observation to be viewed as nitpicking. I was just trying to be helpful. The rotation issue does not even show up in game for me. And the thickness was simply that.. an observation in hopes to be helpful.. As I posted earlier, your work is absolutely beautiful. Sorry if it was taken as offense.
 El Sitherino
05-22-2004, 9:52 AM
Originally posted by ronbrothers
I did not intend my observation to be viewed as nitpicking. I was just trying to be helpful. The rotation issue does not even show up in game for me. And the thickness was simply that.. an observation in hopes to be helpful.. As I posted earlier, your work is absolutely beautiful. Sorry if it was taken as offense. I think the statement was more directed towards Lei Hng Wei
 Amidala from Chop Shop
05-22-2004, 1:34 PM
Downloaded it last night, looks great!

Well done! Please submit it to pcgamemods.com and jk2files.com (although jk2files.com will take about a month to post it) so it will get the widest possible distribution.
 alaris
06-11-2004, 9:50 PM
I'll submit it to other sites afta!

For anyone interested in the history of the custom hilts, I drew a pic of my friend's Star Wars RPG character named.... Tim? (Monty Python Holy Grail reference). Anywho, he's a Bith padawan of the New Republic. He recently had his arm chopped off by a dark jedi. His hilt is the peacemaker hilt. Without further ad0 -

http://users.cableaz.com/~ryan_hutchings/tim.jpg)

I also made a comical version to make my friend laugh.

http://users.cableaz.com/~ryan_hutchings/timm.jpg)
 Miko Reglia
06-11-2004, 10:35 PM
Haha, very nice drawing alaris.:)
 alaris
06-15-2004, 5:33 PM
ok so I made a more "serious" version of Tim?

http://users.cableaz.com/~ryan_hutchings/tim_ss3.jpg)
 alaris
06-26-2004, 7:22 PM
Here's my next pic. Same friend, but this pic is of his first star wars character-Miskala - a chiss bounty hunter.

http://users.cableaz.com/~ryan_hutchings/miskala_ss3.jpg)
 ronbrothers
06-26-2004, 9:08 PM
Alaris, you are too good!
 El Sitherino
06-28-2004, 6:51 AM
http://users.cableaz.com/~ryan_hutchings/miskala_ss3.jpg) mmmm.... sexy....

<_< I'd like to see him as a player model. >_>
 Miko Reglia
06-28-2004, 6:37 PM
I agree with Insane Sith, these pictures would be awesome as player models.:)
 Khaliban
07-05-2004, 5:48 AM
Alaris, after much effort, I finally got shaders to work. At least, I can make metal textures which is all I wanted. I tested it on your hilt pack, applying chrome to some of the hilts. Would you like a copy to see how they turned out? The pack I use includes a shaded version of my Mara Jade saber. That also turned out well.
 Darth Stryke
07-05-2004, 2:03 PM
Hey Alaris, are you planning on doing any other hilts in the near future? Just curious since you said your hilt pack was not complete and you just released it to get it out to people.
 alaris
08-27-2004, 1:47 PM
I plan on adding more hilts when I can get a good look at some hilts from the new movie, episode III

Here's my latest pic:

http://members.cox.net/ryanhutchings/ruska_ss1.jpg)
 Miko Reglia
08-27-2004, 11:58 PM
Man you're way too good at art...:cool:
 alaris
08-28-2004, 5:39 PM
thanks ese ^ that pic is of a noghri in case you're wondering. If you don't know what a noghri is, SHAME ON YOU! Go and read the Timothy Zahn trilogy set 5 years after ROTJ.

Ok, so I made another Star Wars RPG addition for my friends. This is a variant of the YT-1200, aptly named the YT-1350XT transport. My friend James had the design idea. It's a quick and dirty model just to get the look into the gamers' minds. i took the textures from Millenium Falcon toys, and I took the top dome from the Starship Enterprise (1 of them, I'm no trekkie)

http://members.cox.net/ryanhutchings/1350xt_ss2.jpg)
 El Sitherino
08-29-2004, 2:12 AM
o_o
I need new pants.
 ronbrothers
08-29-2004, 4:02 PM
Looking very, very nice. I AM a Trekkie ... sort of ... and if you hadn't pointed out the saucer, I wouldn't even have noticed it.
 Aryyn
01-22-2005, 3:21 PM
Anybody having problems with some of these sabers not working in MP. Because some of the hilts dont work for me i get the reborn hilt on some of them & i cant figure out why!
Page: 3 of 3