Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Hellfire Droid

Page: 1 of 3
 Duncan_10158
11-07-2003, 3:43 PM
Finaly i had some time to work on my own projects, so here it is my Hailfire Droid vehicle. the mashs and skinmaps are finished, i am working on a few animations now, what shouldnt be that difficult cause there is not much to animate. i dont know if i should do the skins on my own or if out there is someone who would like to do them. is there someone?

here are two pics:
http://io.meskinaw.net/images/Hellfire_Droid/hellfire_droid_01.jpg)
http://io.meskinaw.net/images/Hellfire_Droid/hellfire_droid_02.jpg)

i made the rocketlauncher swing up and down, the rockets are under gavity, so it looks like in AOTC. but i got a bug in it i cant find why, when i drive backwards shooting the game crashes. if someone knows this, let me know.

Update: thanks to riovu we know now, its not hellfire droid but hailfire droid. (shame on me, shame on me)
 [JKZ]_Yun
11-07-2003, 4:04 PM
wwwwowowowwwww nice model!!

:yodac: Yun
 monsoontide
11-07-2003, 5:56 PM
Duncan,

Already sent you and e-mail - but I will do the skin if you like - Only fair, since you are working on mine :D
Just send me the template (And the model too I guess, so I can see where all the bits go! 3DSmax format is fine - I should be able to handle it!)
 The Cheat
11-07-2003, 6:41 PM
wow, that looks very nice. keep up the good work
 Hellfire Jedi
11-07-2003, 6:43 PM
Yey! I have a vehicle named after me, and it looks quite awesome. :D
 monsoontide
11-07-2003, 6:58 PM
Part of the concept art in the ART OF EPISODE 2 BOOK features the next step up from the Destroyer droid which Duncan has already made, so I might make one of these if I get time!!!! Duncan's gonna hate me for starting yet another model :p
 tFighterPilot
11-07-2003, 7:53 PM
Does the game just crash, without giving any message?
 riovu
11-07-2003, 10:37 PM
I love your Model i'd never thought someone would think of making it your a really good modeler man!!!!! by the way i think the vehicle is called (hailfire)
 Duncan_10158
11-07-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by riovu
I love your Model i'd never thought someone would think of making it your a really good modeler man!!!!! by the way i think the vehicle is called (hailfire)

riovu, your right, its hailfire droid! now i know why it crashed, i gave it the wrong name and it refused it. seriously, i havent look up corrcetly, shame on me. i gone correct it, if its possible.

the crash bug seems to be gone since to newest version, perhaps it was something with a wrong animation.cfg file. it looks solved.

Hellfire, ahhhh..... yes that was it i named it after you. i was thinking of that from the start. so i hope you gone rename yourself also to hailfire? :rolleyes:

monsoontide, please let some models left for the next generation of modelers, its not fair if you do everything and they have nothing to do left. every generation needs some great project to do.
 monsoontide
11-07-2003, 11:20 PM
Oh, I think there's still plenty of models left to do (A-Wing, B-Wing, Y-Wing, Tie Interceptor, Tie Defender, Tie Advanced, Snowspeeder, Ronto, Bantha, AT-PT, Spider Walker, plus conversions for the twin-pod cloud car and Vaders-Tie models that come with the game)

Besides if anyone isn't satisfied or doesn't like my models, they're totally free to make thier own! ;) or to reskin mine! Though I must admit, I'm all modeled out (At least for vehicles) and it's time for me to get back to my SIEGE maps!
 tFighterPilot
11-08-2003, 8:00 AM
Originally posted by monsoontide
Oh, I think there's still plenty of models left to do (A-Wing, B-Wing, Y-Wing, Tie Interceptor, Tie Defender, Tie Advanced, Snowspeeder, Ronto, Bantha, AT-PT, Spider Walker, plus conversions for the twin-pod cloud car and Vaders-Tie models that come with the game)

Besides if anyone isn't satisfied or doesn't like my models, they're totally free to make thier own! ;) or to reskin mine! Though I must admit, I'm all modeled out (At least for vehicles) and it's time for me to get back to my SIEGE maps!
A-wing: Checked!
B-wing: I doubt someone would make it.
Y-wing: Would probably be made.
Tie Interceptor: Checked!
Tie Defender: Will happen, I'm sure of it.
Tie Advenced: See Tie Defender.
Snow Speeder: Checked ;)
Ronto: I don't know what it is, but someone would probably do it.
Bentha: Will happen.
AT-PT: The coolest of all walkers, have to happen!
Spider Walker: Probably will happen.
 monsoontide
11-08-2003, 2:16 PM
The Ronto is the big animal the Jawas are riding in the special addition of Star Wars when the swoop bike zips past and scares it and one of the Jawas falls off.
 monsoontide
11-08-2003, 5:14 PM
Duncan sent me the HailFire droid to skin, so hope to get it done this weekend.
The vehicles is quite impressive apart from needing a few animation tweaks. The rockets work well, arcing through the air.
I think perhaps limiting them in number would be an idea though.
 LightNinja
11-08-2003, 7:16 PM
 DarkLord60
11-09-2003, 9:53 PM
Wow that does look great you ever think about working for us at AOTC:TC we could us another good modeler. email me at J_hamp60@hotmail.com
 Zappa_0
11-10-2003, 2:49 AM
Hey Duncan what else do you got planned to make for JA?
 The Count
11-10-2003, 1:58 PM
Excellent, Bravo.
 Duncan_10158
11-10-2003, 10:17 PM
the hailfire droid is getting well, monsoontide sen me a first pic of a partly skined model, looks great. i hope he has enough time for it with all his other projects.

Zappa_0, you probably know about my droideka project, i am working on adding an energy shield, that is on when standing and off when its in roll mode. i hope to have some time for it in the next few days. i am also woring on some early models of a federation battletank and a gungan kaadu. i hope i can make models like the ATTE, ATAT or the gungan battle wagon. but they need to have some code changes to work properly, so we probably have to wait until the source code comes out and some coder helps me to creat a new vehilce class.

i am looking forward to creat models that can be used in siege maps, for ex. a battle for genosis siege map with all the different droids and vehicles would be absolutly cool. this hailfire droid could take the place of a heavy artilery, its deadly in distance but weak in short range. this in a good designed map could add some real tactical depth, make cooperation more importent then firepower. i am trying to creat these vehicles with strength and weakneses.
 Zappa_0
11-10-2003, 10:26 PM
Cool and Duncan you forgot to something you can add your vehicles to....movies!!! Hehehe...your helping to make TJD 2 even better then TJD is gonna look. TJD is The Jedi's Demise, and you will be credited so dont worry. Also TJD 2 is still a long way till we actually start filming.
 Usurpo
11-11-2003, 1:01 AM
'eya Dunk. I think I got your problem covered...isn't it default for all vehicles to have shields? I mean, even Tie Fighters and AT-STs have them! [in the game] Thus, I think the shielding process is built into the Master Code...and therego, it would require quite some coding to disable shields for rolling...then again, thats just my hypothesis. Feel free to explore the issue more...;)
 NeoMarz1
11-11-2003, 1:09 AM
Originally posted by DarkLord60
Wow that does look great you ever think about working for us at AOTC:TC we could us another good modeler. email me at J_hamp60@hotmail.com

Yeah Duncan! We sure could use your talents, You helped me out with the Zam speeder, and we really need that kind of a touch over here. Anyhow, keep up the great work! Mars out
 DarkLord60
11-11-2003, 1:57 AM
well thanks for the backup NeoMarz
 monsoontide
11-11-2003, 3:28 AM
Weekend has been unexpectedly busy, so achieved less than I had planned for. Only about 65 - 70% done.
Hopefully should be done by the end of the week (work permitting) and maybe Duncan will be able to fix a couple of animation bugs by then!

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~monsoontide/NewFiles/HailFire_Skin_WIP.jpg)
 DarkLord60
11-11-2003, 4:46 PM
Very nice! :D
 GothiX
11-11-2003, 5:02 PM
Sexy!
 Zappa_0
11-20-2003, 9:58 PM
Heres a link to some good photos of the toy version of the HailFire droid. I hope these might do you all some use.

http://www.rebelscum.com/CWhailfiredroid.asp)
 monsoontide
11-20-2003, 10:13 PM
I think those are the ones I used! :)
I have finished them and submitted them to Duncan, but he's been very quiet (read: busy) since then. He wanted to rework them a bit as well.
Will be interesting to see how it finally looks.
 Zappa_0
11-21-2003, 7:11 PM
Yea I cant wait to see it. Its gonna be great from the looks of it.
 kmd
11-25-2003, 1:30 AM
man i cant wait!!
 Duncan_10158
11-29-2003, 8:49 PM
Ok, after a long time i could come back to this project. i fixed the some skinmap problems and changed the skins which monsoontide made for it. i its in game and its fun :)

there are still some things to fix, movement speed, weapon balancing or sounds to add would be cool. so thats the point i need your help. here is the first beta version, get it and let me know what needs to ne fixed/changed. if if someone could do the sounds, please contact me.

THIS VERSION IS A BETA VERSION, DO NOT SENT IT IN SOMEWHERE OR UPLOAD IT! WE ARE STILL WOKING ON IT!

http://io.meskinaw.net/data/hailfire_droid_beta01.zip)

have fun
 ObiKast
11-29-2003, 11:23 PM
Dude, its looks soo realistic, good work ;).

I CANT OR THE FINAL VERSION!!!!!!

And 1 more thing, how many vehicles can i put on the base folder?
 kmd
11-29-2003, 11:43 PM
i will get back to you on my thoughts, right now time for bed, maybe i can stay up later and play it, if i do you will get a reveiw!
 seks03
11-30-2003, 7:40 AM
Great model guys, i just tested it and it is amazing how good it is being in BETA. here is what i noticed and some suggestions.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
small glitches:
=============
the rolling animation is fine going forward but when you stop, the wheel hops and when you reverse the wheel, it has a 2 second delay. before it moves.

Suggestions:
=============
Add a turbo boost
Increase speed a little

awesome job guys, and it was really cool how you guys released a beta to the public. very smooth.
 t3rr0r
11-30-2003, 2:36 PM
you know what is immensly cool? setting the fire delay to 100 or below... now that's some raining death. :D

also, although i don't agree on the proposition of this having a boost, the speed could be increased a bit. :)
 RJW_ca
11-30-2003, 2:41 PM
It's great but there is a delay when going backwards and also if we can get faster firepower for the shots it makes

but overall looks great!!

RJW_ca "OUT"
 kmd
11-30-2003, 4:00 PM
it needs to be just a bit faster, and i like the idea of a boost, and the sound, get some sounds from the movie and put em in the pk3 for the final version, its a little ackward going back at first, but other than that, this is an awsome mod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you're talent awa's me :p
 kmd
11-30-2003, 5:34 PM
WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it doesnt work in single player hardly at all, it doesnt even shoot :( i want it to be able to shoot like regular rockets in single player!!! and yeah make it move a bit faster, but in single player it wont shoot anything, and when i get out of it, it starts to shoot itself a laser from the bottem untill it blows itself up!!! correct this please
 Duncan_10158
12-02-2003, 4:08 PM
thanks for your feedback ;)

so i repeat all the found bugs and suggestions, correct me if i got something wrong.

- it isnt working correctly in SP, havent tested that yet but it has highest priorety. does somebody know what that could cause?
- wobelling wheels when stoped. it looks ugly, i hope with another animation sequencing it can be fixed. but it could be visible always a bit.
- short delay when driving backwards. hmm???
- increase the basic speed a bit
- add a turbo boost. i am not sure if that works correctly, cause its a walker vehicle class that hasnt this ability. i try it and we can still dicuss if it makes sense.
- increase firing speed. to 100 or below? that would be five times faster! now its raining death, with 100 it would be armagedon, jugement day, do you want that? it surly would look cool!

is there somebody who could do the sounds, i dont have the equipment for that? let me know.

and nearly forgot, the vehicle limit is about 12.
 kmd
12-02-2003, 4:28 PM
its just that the weapons dont work at all in sp, and yeah 100 fire rate hell from hailfire droid would be tight!!!
 t3rr0r
12-02-2003, 7:42 PM
Originally posted by Duncan_10158
- increase firing speed. to 100 or below? that would be five times faster! now its raining death, with 100 it would be armagedon, jugement day, do you want that? it surly would look cool!
i was just pointing out how fun it was... not really suggesting a definate change. :)
 Usurpo
12-02-2003, 8:09 PM
I am glad you fixed the shakey thing with the wheels, it was...odd. First off, I think the missiles should do more damage. It took me around 3 minutes to kill a stationary rancor. Secondly, BOTH backward and forward speeds need to be bumped up! I mean, come on! This thing was feared as death with a pimped-out motor! A speed-boost would be nice...other then that, I have nothing to complain about. Good job. ;)

When you get done with this, there is somthing I think you should look into. NeoMars just released his Republic Gunship, and I havn't any bad comments about it, other then the fact it's only weapon is missiles, and it is a 1-person flya. If possible, talk to him, and see if you guys could do a joint-project so as to make it more mutli-usable, if you know what I mean...;)
 ZH@o YuN
12-03-2003, 4:11 PM
Im pretty good at editing .veh files for ships and making weapons for them... if you'd like me to, I'd be glad to help!
 SD_Radical_Ed
12-03-2003, 4:28 PM
zhao yun, you think you could make me a vehicle weapon that shoots like the impereal repeater?

i have a vehicle and i want it to have a machine gun, and i want to make it fire repeater bolts.
 kmd
12-03-2003, 4:28 PM
cant wait for finial release, hope the weapons work in sp!!!
 ZH@o YuN
12-03-2003, 4:36 PM
Originally posted by SD_Radical_Ed
zhao yun, you think you could make me a vehicle weapon that shoots like the impereal repeater?

i have a vehicle and i want it to have a machine gun, and i want to make it fire repeater bolts.

As a matter of fact, I actually made a vehicle repeater ages ago for one of my swoops! :D

I'll post it here as soon as I've uploaded it to freewebs.

It's just a PK3 with the effects and a .vwp file - all you have to do is change the part in your .veh file for weap1 (and weapMuzzle1, 2, 3 etc) to "vehicle_repeater" and it should work
 SD_Radical_Ed
12-03-2003, 4:45 PM
YAAYY!! Do you think you could possibly have it up for download within 3 hours?I really need it A.S.A.P. pleeeze?

or you can e-mail it to me at
drvindaloo@hotmail.com
 ZH@o YuN
12-03-2003, 4:45 PM
Here ya go ;)

http://www.freewebs.com/zhaoyun_ldx/vehicle_repeater.zip)

(Right-click>Save as)
 ZH@o YuN
12-03-2003, 4:54 PM
And here's the new HailFire .veh file:

http://www.freewebs.com/zhaoyun_ldx/hailfire_droid2.zip)

Just do /npc spawn vehicle hailfire_droid2 and give it a test!

The missiles fire at a rate that's about as fast as from what I remember in the SWCW episode, and because it's so fast, I made the damage fall down to 40 hp. I've also changed the effects for the launch and impact of the missiles - I think it's more suiting than the AT-ST sounds :D

Let me know what you need changing and I'll do it for ya.
 SD_Radical_Ed
12-03-2003, 4:56 PM
one last thing, what is the:

projectile speed number
damage number
lifetime number

of the yt_turbolaser weapon?
 ZH@o YuN
12-03-2003, 4:58 PM
Speed - 25000
Damage - 1000
Lifetime - 2000