Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

SABER_SITH_SWORD keeps crashing the game

Page: 1 of 1
 numark79
11-02-2003, 6:43 PM
I've been trying to mod some sword hilts I have to work with this saberType, but no matter what I've tried the game keeps crashing. Or, sometimes it will load, and the player skin will be gone! The console will then say something like this:

-----------------------------------
RE_RegisterModel: NULL name
RE_RegisterModel: NULL name
...loaded 1877 faces, 58 meshes, 134 trisurfs, 0 flares
----- CL_Shutdown -----
Shutting down OpenGL subsystem
...wglMakeCurrent( NULL, NULL ): success
...deleting GL context: success
...releasing DC: failed
...resetting display
...shutting down QGL
...unloading OpenGL DLL
-----------------------
recursive error after: Z_Free(): Corrupt zone tail!

Any way to get this to work?
peace:confused:
 numark79
11-03-2003, 11:21 PM
Here is what the .sab file looks like:

single_11
{
//note: the SABER_SITH_SWORD type of saber draws no blade and does knockback
name "Glory of the Sith"
saberType SABER_SITH_SWORD
saberModel "models/weapons2/saber_11/saber_11.glm"
soundOn "sound/draw1.wav"
soundLoop "sound/null.wav"
soundOff "sound/draw1.wav"
saberLength 44
throwable 1
disarmable 0
blocking 5
lockBonus 5
parryBonus 5
breakParryBonus 5
disarmBonus 5
returnDamage 5
brokenSaber1 5
}
 razorace
11-05-2003, 5:41 PM
My guess is that type SABER_SITH_SWORD wasn't set up for MP.
 numark79
11-05-2003, 6:46 PM
Actually, it does work in MP, the only thing is that u can still see the saber blade coming through the sword blade. But what is happening is that its always crashing the game in SP. Every time I try starting up a new SP game after having selected whichever sword hilt with the SABER_SITH_SWORD saberType, it crashes the game, usually before the end of the cutscene on the shuttle.

What's wierd though is that I can start the game with a normal saber, bring down the console and use cheat codes, and get the swords in game just fine. If I cheat, the swords work, if I try to get them from the new game start, they don't =\ Maybe the SABER_SITH_SWORD type isn't fully compatible in SP? I know there has to be a way to get this to work, if the computer controlled Tavion can use it in the game, so can we! heheh

peace
 Samuel Dravis
11-05-2003, 7:56 PM
Try editing the player.npc file to have the weapon sith_sword. It may fix it (I don't know though, I've never tried it myself).
 numark79
11-06-2003, 5:15 AM
SUCCESS!! Thanks man, all the swords work right from the new game start up screen. One tiny thing remains though, when you use a single sword, the sound effects are correct, straight from the sith sword sounds. When you use DUAL though, I don't know why yet but the second sword makes residual saber whooshing sounds on top of the sword swishing sounds. Hmmm, back to the lab..

peace

ps this is what the player.npc file looks like for anyone that wants to use the SABER_SITH_SWORD saberType

Player
{
playerModel player
weapon WP_SABER
saber sith_sword
saber2 sith_sword
class CLASS_PLAYER
}
 Samuel Dravis
11-06-2003, 4:27 PM
If you're getting rid of the saber entirely, just overwrite the saber sound effects with blank ones.
 numark79
11-06-2003, 8:24 PM
Oh I see, actually though I'm not trying to get rid of the sabers entirerly. I'm trying to make it so that you can have a choice of either sabers and/or swords in the same pack. It works pretty good now though, it's not too noticable when you use dual swords now and you have that overlapping saber whooshing effect. It would be nice though to be able to get rid of it while still keeping the standard saber sounds intact for when you use a regular saber, =) I guess I'll just have to experiment some more with it...

ps. Is there any way to turn off the reddish charge up crackle effect around the swords using the SABER_SITH_SWORD saberType?
 Samuel Dravis
11-06-2003, 8:46 PM
You probably can get rid of that. I think you would find the .efx file that it uses, and then modify it to where it does nothing visible (getting rid of it entirely might mess something up). Then make sure any other file that references the same efx file point to another one, that is just a renamed copy of the same file. Or you could look around for the sith sword's reference to the efx, and change that.

Good luck (remember, I have no idea if the above will work, its just an idea :))
Page: 1 of 1