Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Problem with cape in re-skin in JA

Page: 1 of 1
 DarthVengeant
11-02-2003, 7:26 AM
For some reason the Cape on the re-skin I did of Snowtrooper for JA doesnt show up right Ingame....it shows up just fine in Modview though. Also, if I set up the skin to replace the regular Stormtrooper it works fine....but when I do the .skin file renames it makes the Cape of the Snowtrooper see through and doesnt show up correctly.

Anyone know why it does this?

Maybe you only arent supposed to rename all the normal stuff in .skin file for the cape to work...I dont know. Help would be great.
 eidospsogos
11-02-2003, 3:47 PM
actually that's very odd. if modview is loading the model without any "part" not found errors and the cape is showing up in Mod view, it should show up in game as well. are you making these .skin files for SP use, as in renaming them for the sake of torso and heads? if not why are you renaming them.

there are two reasons the cape may not be showing up that i can think of: (and this is if you are re-naming the skin to make an SP class)

a. it may be showing up in modview initially due to the fact that the model_default skin should still be there and is giving the appropriate info.....try going to the skins available section in modview and clicking on the skin you THINK has the cape reference in it and see if it still shows up. it may not be correctly referenced in your new .skin file.

b. there are ways of turning surfaces on models off on purpose. some do this via a .surf file. but the easiest way to do this, is to find the place where the part name stops, and the folder referencing begins.....

i.e. torso_shoulder_pad,models/players/kyle/etc,etc. delete everything after the comma and then immediately after the comma,WITHNOSPACES, type this *off. this reference will specifically turn part of a model off.

so make sure you don't have the part turned off without knowing, and other than that check your links in your skin files and make sure they are in their proper place and the links are pointed in the right direction.

if you could get a bit more detailed as to what you were attempting to do when you encountered the problem i'm sure it would help give more specific advice.
 razorace
11-03-2003, 2:13 AM
It's also possible that one of your shaders isn't working correctly. Did you do any shader work for your new skin?
 DarthVengeant
11-03-2003, 6:32 AM
ok

I dont rename any of the jpg's in the folder for my skin, the folder is the name of the new skin name (models/players/EJADuskTrooper). The only rename I do is in the .skin file. As I said, it works fine if I dont change anything in the original .skin file and just set it up to replace the regular Snowtrooper.....but when I rename the areas in the .skin file it doesnt show the cape properly In-Game. I have gone over the .skin file to make sure nothing is re-named wrong and it looks fine to me.

By the way...this is for MP and I have bot and script as well.

i dont know anything about shaders work, so no I didnt do that. ALL I have done it re-skin the Snowtrooper and re-name the areas in the .skin file and created the folder for my skin in the players folder. Nothing else
 razorace
11-03-2003, 6:44 AM
Is there someway you could host it somewhere so we can actually try the files?
 DarthVengeant
11-03-2003, 6:47 AM
here is whats in the . skin

hips,models/players/EJADuskTrooper/snowtrooper_legs.tga
hips_armor,models/players/EJADuskTrooper/snowtrooper_armor.tga
hips_cap_l_leg_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga
hips_cap_r_leg_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga
hips_cap_torso_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga
hips_cape,models/players/EJADuskTrooper/snowtrooper_cape.tga
hips_lower,models/players/EJADuskTrooper/snowtrooper_torso.tga
torso,models/players/EJADuskTrooper/snowtrooper_torso.tga
torso_armor,models/players/EJADuskTrooper/snowtrooper_armor.tga
torso_cap_head_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga
torso_cap_hips_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga
torso_cap_l_arm_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga
torso_cap_r_arm_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga
torso_pack,models/players/EJADuskTrooper/snowtrooper_armor.tga
head,models/players/EJADuskTrooper/snowtrooper_torso.tga
head_armor,models/players/EJADuskTrooper/snowtrooper_armor.tga
l_arm,models/players/EJADuskTrooper/snowtrooper_torso.tga
l_hand,models/players/EJADuskTrooper/snowtrooper_hands.tga
l_hand_armor,models/players/EJADuskTrooper/snowtrooper_armor.tga
l_hand_cap_l_arm_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga
l_arm_armor,models/players/EJADuskTrooper/snowtrooper_armor.tga
l_arm_cap_l_hand_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga
l_arm_cap_torso_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga
r_arm,models/players/EJADuskTrooper/snowtrooper_torso.tga
r_hand,models/players/EJADuskTrooper/snowtrooper_hands.tga
r_hand_armor,models/players/EJADuskTrooper/snowtrooper_armor.tga
r_hand_cap_r_arm_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga
r_arm_armor,models/players/EJADuskTrooper/snowtrooper_armor.tga
r_arm_cap_r_hand_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga
r_arm_cap_torso_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga
l_leg,models/players/EJADuskTrooper/snowtrooper_legs.tga
l_leg_cap_hips_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga
r_leg,models/players/EJADuskTrooper/snowtrooper_legs.tga
r_leg_cap_hips_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga

i just did modview again and the cape shows just fine on all three, ......default, red, and blue .But, it still wont show up correctly in-game.

You guys can IM me or e-mail me. My info is on here, click my profile.
 eidospsogos
11-03-2003, 3:22 PM
hmmm.....everything looks fine. i would probably have to mess around with the file myself to figure out what's going on. it's very odd that it would show up in modview, but not in the game. that usually does not happen. i'll get back with you once i get off work late this afternoon and see what can be figured out.

and razorace, if you see anything obvious i'm missing, let him know what you think(nice hoth add-in by the way, i downloaded the OJP file from pcgamemmods)
 DarthVengeant
11-03-2003, 4:19 PM
Thanx for your help dude,

You can IM me as well. My info is in my profile. If you have Yahoo or Aol IM (I have Trillian) I can send you the pk3 of my skin over IM. So, talk to you later...thanx again guys.
 eidospsogos
11-03-2003, 11:25 PM
hey i only have msn msn messenger as that's what came with my OS :)

if you want to PM me i'll give you my email address in reply. and you can send me the files as an attachment.
 razorace
11-03-2003, 11:44 PM
Thanks eidospsogos, but I talked to DarthVengeant and got him setup. The problem involved not having cull none set on the shaders for the cape. I also helped him with some other issues.
 eidospsogos
11-03-2003, 11:50 PM
interesting. as i have no experience with shaders, i would have had no idea what to do there. i'll have to be sure to keep your PM for when i have problems :)
 DarthVengeant
11-04-2003, 11:24 AM
Thanx again for the help. I had no idea skins effected "shaders"...I didnt even know whats "shaders" did. lol.. Now I do. So, I guess I'll learn about shaders...somehow now.
 razorace
11-04-2003, 7:42 PM
Shaders are basically special effects that apply to textures. Transparencies, texture animations, etc.

Here's a good tutorial on the subject. (http://www.qeradiant.com/manual/Q3AShader_Manual/)
Page: 1 of 1