Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The plugin to view edit save .png with alpha channels

Page: 1 of 1
 svцsh
10-28-2003, 11:52 PM
The holly Grail has been found!!!!!!! The plugin to view, edit, save .png in photoshop 5, 5.5, 6, and 7 with alpha channels :D

Any one interested in the right Plugin to open save and edit the Infamous .png files in everyone’s favorite Photoshop come and get it :)

http://www.angelfire.com/crazy2/xclone_0101/Jk_JA_skinning.html)

No more smashing your heads in to walls, Let the skinning begin !!!!

Everyone that downloads it please just put a quick thanks or whatever here so we can see how many people needed it, just for fun. After all the trouble I went to finding it, at least show some love . thanks
 eidospsogos
10-29-2003, 12:14 AM
oh wow.....thanks alot.....this really made my day....and i was just thinking all hopes for help in these forums were dead.....

seriously.....thanks alot for taking the time to send me this
 eidospsogos
10-29-2003, 12:20 AM
and yes it works.....right there under channels is your alpha channel....wow.....

so now let's ask this.... :) which i will probably figure out eventually on my own, but as i have never had the plugin to deal with this properly before, how does one create an alpha channel in a new file.....?
 razorace
10-29-2003, 12:27 AM
OH...MY...GOD! It looks like it works!

eidospsogos, to add the alpha channel to a new file, just click on the New Channel button at the bottom of the channels tab. It's one of the symbol buttons.
 razorace
10-29-2003, 12:28 AM
So, svцsh, where the heck did you find this thing and why is it so damn hard to find?
 eidospsogos
10-29-2003, 12:38 AM
great now we're talking.....problems solved.....

too bad adobe didn't decide to put a functional plug-in in their 700 dollar program.....
 svцsh
10-29-2003, 1:15 AM
@ eidospsogos glad to make your day :) A very simple way to make an alpha channel is this on the layer your working on make a path or selection if you make a path you can then convert the path to selection using the button at the bottom of the path’s palette. Anyways once you have made the selection go to the channels palette and at the bottom there click on the second button the one that has a circle in a square called ( save selection as channel ) then you can paint black or white use any of the filters or levels to play with the alpha channel

@ razorace if I tell you I’ll have to kill you . just kidding man

As I said I was searching for some time my key words were .”png photoshop plugin with alpha channels”. I was almost ready to give up after the 500 th link,...about png’s usage for browser test’s Blah, blah, blah…. and spec's and what not. Then I found it, as it turns out I got it at a site for skinning tribes 2 characters I don't have the game tribes 2 but “ I Believe my search is over, I have found the one!” So I downloaded it and save it to my hard drive. Tried it and what do you know it works I was so happy a made few mistakes setting up that web page to host it but in the end it was worth it because after all now we can all get to skinning.

Lets all enjoy the now toy ;)
 svцsh
10-29-2003, 1:31 AM
Believe you me eidospsogos I checked the adobe site for a .png plugin and no such luck. What great support they have over there (Extreme sarcasm)
No kidding eh? after paying a little more then you, around $800.00 Canadian i was quite pissed they didn't have a proper .png plugin

but now all our copy’s of Photoshop do :)
 [FotF]Maddog
10-29-2003, 6:58 PM
which directory do i place it in in photoshop 7
:mad: Dog
 razorace
10-29-2003, 7:21 PM
Photoshop\Plug-Ins\Adobe Photoshop Only\File Formats

You'll have to overwrite the current one. You might want to make a backup copy.
 svцsh
10-30-2003, 3:35 AM
I'v added a readme to install the the plugin in the .zip . For the people that didn't follow the instructions on my site :rolleyes:
 razorace
10-30-2003, 9:04 PM
The Up Filter for PNG files (no interlace) seems to result in the smallest file sizes and there's no image loss.
 BloodRiot
10-31-2003, 11:11 AM
Jolly good show Svцsh.

This will come in handy. Thx man.
 Dethsaint
11-03-2003, 7:04 PM
Hmmm... I'm using PSPro 7 for skinning purposes but I suppose "save as alpha channel" will work in the excact same manner as your plugin?

Hmmm... :confused:

Not that I've got any spare time to skin in anyway since I've actually begun playing the game in MP :D
 svцsh
11-04-2003, 8:06 PM
@ Dethsaint

Sorry man I can’t tell you as I haven’t used paint shop pro since psp 3 so I don’t know. But I assume so.

If you mean when saving as a .png yes you will want a check mark in the options for the alpha channels. But of course you will need to create one first. I assume you know how to do that ?

If not read some of the posts above as Ps pro copied Photoshop and has many similarities.
 Dethsaint
11-05-2003, 3:20 PM
Hmmm...

"On this meditate I will..."

I'll figure something out, but thx. anyway. :)
Page: 1 of 1