Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Head Smashed in Bot Jump

Page: 1 of 1
 razorace
10-12-2003, 7:37 AM
Is there any way to prevent the bots from attempting to jump in their target's direction whenever they're trying to jump to a jump flaged waypoint? In my tests, they seem to do ok on the jumps if they don't see you. If they see you, they try to move in your direction while jumping/falling and kill themselves.

This sucks and seems to be a serious AI issue. If there isn't a solution, I suggest that we talk to Raven about possible fixes or do it ourselves when the SDK comes out. I think the easiest solution would be to make the AI "ignore" their target while making a move to a jump waypoint or falling to a certain flagged waypoint (maybe a new "fall" waypoint).

I tried using the "no visual checks" (n) flag but it doesn't seem to do anyway. What is that suppose to do anyway? Just have the bot not try to walk about any objects (like other players)?

In addition, is there any way to make the bots do some sort of check before trying to jump like an idiot to a waypoint it can't reach (by lack of FP or jump skill)?

And finally, is there a command to make the AI ignore your player so they can run the paths alone or do I have to join the spectator team?
 _PerfectAgent_
11-05-2003, 10:30 PM
About the falling and killing themselves thing... Maybe you can try to put the Do Not Enter shader around where there are bottomless pits, if I remember correctly, that makes the bots avoid the Do Not Enter shader; it'll be invisible in game.
 razorace
11-05-2003, 10:56 PM
That's a good idea but it wouldn't work for the default maps or fix the obviously flawed behavior.
Page: 1 of 1