Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Possible Bug from people trying to download mods....

Page: 1 of 1
 Kurgan
10-10-2003, 1:03 AM
Recently I've been hosting some addon maps, and this is a new thing for me, so maybe I'm doing something wrong, but hear me out...

I host a map kotor_flight_school.pk3 say, and I turn on downloads because I figure some people might want to download it (on a slow day).

So after I've finished playing that map and move on to regular JA map I turn off downloads, but I STILL get people connect who attempt to download the old map and fail...

Any way to fix this?

My two theories were either

1) If you start a game with addons in your base folder, even if you're not running them at that exact moment, clients will try to download them all.

OR

2) If you start to download a mod from a server, the Q3 engine is "dumb" and just keeps trying to download it forever, even if the server is no longer running that level.

The latter I'm thinking is more likely because it seems like the people with problems are people I KNOW once tried to start a download of the map. So its like they can never finish unless I'm ON that map and allow downloads again.

However, I do know that if you start a download and fail, the Q3 engine doesn't resume.. it starts over from 0 each time, so you have to get the mod in one shot. Additionally, it leaves a .temp file in your base folder.

Perhaps if these folks would DELETE their .temp files their clients wouldn't continue to keep trying to download the mods?

Any help would be appreciated....
 Amidala from Chop Shop
10-10-2003, 1:02 PM
Generally the download function is OK for small files, but for most maps it's too slow, and people get impatient and leave. Also, you are running a pure server, so it will try to download non-skin .pk3 files to your clients. If you want to run a pure server, it's simplest to not have any extra .pk3 files in your base folder. If you run pure, have extra .pk3 files, and have downloading off, the only clients who can connect will be ones that just happen to already have the same extra .pk3 files that are on your server, which will be a tiny fraction of all the clients. If you want the most people to connect, don't run a pure server, don't have extra .pk3 files in your base folder, and set downloading off. If you want to run pure, definitely avoid extra .pk3 files, and downloading off.
 Kurgan
10-11-2003, 12:47 AM
But tell me, if I have a map pk3 in my base folder, but I'm not running that map at the moment, are people still prompted to download it when they connect if they don't have it, even though I'm not running that particular map?

That's what I want to know...
 big-cross
10-11-2003, 7:05 AM
they should not dl i think
becouse when i get into a game and thay are runing a standerd map it will not dl any thing but...
when it goes into a nother map that i do not have it will anly start then... :compcry:
 Kurgan
10-12-2003, 12:30 AM
I see.

Sadly this guy kept connecting and whenever he did he would start the download for kotor_flight_school, and since he never let it finish (always timed out or disconnected) I disabled downloads, since he was just lagging the server.

Eventually I was forced to ban him, because that's all that happened. I feel bad for whomever that was... : (

If your name was "Padawan" and you were trying that on my server, feel free to contact me and I'll see what I can do. You're unbanned right now.
Page: 1 of 1