Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

ShaderEd Crashes ALL THE TIME!!!!

Page: 1 of 1
 DigitalVapor
09-27-2003, 5:32 PM
No matter WHAT I do, ShaderEd2 simply will not work. The moment it starts up, it crashes from some error that windows xp doesnt explain (well XP doesnt explain ANY errors anymore) and it closes. I have tried reinstalling the JK2 tools but this changes NOTHING! I need this program since the shader script doesnt have any simple values for light color. I need to change the dynamic light color for the purple saber
 reaper1576
09-27-2003, 5:51 PM
what type of shaders are you trying to open JO or JA? Ja shaders shadered has some problems opening them
 CortoCG
09-27-2003, 5:55 PM
You can always edit the shader script by hand using notepad or any other plain text editor, did you know that?
 DigitalVapor
10-06-2003, 9:44 PM
ShaderEd has functions in it that I need and I dont recall notepad being of much use when you dont know ANY of the shader commands. Text editors are for proffesional use and as far as actualy testing the results (which is f**king impossible in a text editor) they are useless. I know about the text editor method, I have even used it but as I said its usless as a graphics development tool.

And no it has nothing to do with the the type of shader, the program crashes the second it opens
 razorace
10-06-2003, 11:38 PM
Where have you installed the program? I've found that modview will often not work unless you install it into your JK game directory.
 CortoCG
10-07-2003, 2:25 AM
Allright allright, take it easy pal, it's good for your health =).
Lemme see if we can track or hunt this problem down. When you double click on it, it opens and instatly closes? or it opens and CHAN! returns an error and the forces you to close it?
 reaper1576
10-08-2003, 11:27 AM
what OS you running that can be a issue to
 Scarlett
10-12-2003, 6:40 AM
I've had the same problem, though i don't use i too often.. only when i need to see the result of blending functions. But set the ShaderEd2 program into Windows 2000 compatibility mode (right-click the file, go to Properties, in the Compatibility tab). Then create a normal TXT file, name it what you will, and add something like this (with notepad or another clean text editor) to the file:

{

}

(However, it doesn't seem to even matter what's in the file, just make sure there's SOMETHING in it)

Save it, and all that. Make sure the file is in the "Base/Shaders" path. Right-click the file, go to Open With>Choose Program.. and from there find the ShaderEd2 program. This is the only way i know to get it working. Apparently though, from what i've heard, ShaderEd2 is looking for a default shader file, and Raven didn't supply it.. and thus since it can't find it, it crashes.
 razorace
10-29-2003, 9:44 PM
Ok, I just tried what Scarlett suggested but I found that you don't need to set compatibility mode or create a default shader. All you have to do is run the program with the "open with..." command. I'm using XP Pro with SP1.

Unfortunately, it looks like the old ShaderED2 doesn't have the new JKA shader options. I get an error with the new rgbgen rgbGen lightingDiffuseEntity. The program doesn't seem to know what it is.
Page: 1 of 1