Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Creating new vehicles.

Page: 1 of 1
 nono
09-22-2003, 1:16 AM
??
 ChangKhan[RAVEN]
09-22-2003, 1:42 AM
???

I take it you want some guidance? The main thing you need is this:

a .veh file
a .npc file
a *rider tag

Actually, that's about all you need (especially for non-animating vehicles like swoops and TIE-Fighters). If you want it to have exhaust and be able to fire weapons, you need some extra tags like

*exhaust1
*exhaust2
*muzzle1
*muzzle2
etc...

The best way to see all of this is to look at an example. The .veh files are in ext_data/vehicles. The .npc files are in ext_data/npcs. Both are editable with any text program. The vehicle model is in the models/players directory in the folder specified in the .veh file. The vehicle model is viewable with our ModView model viewer program. I suggest checking all of these files out to see how it all goes together.

A good guide to the .veh files is the template.veh file in ext_data/vehicles. It explains what each field does.

The same goes for vehicle weapon files (.vwp files) in ext_data/vehicles/weapons. Check out the template for an explanation.

All you really need is a vehicle model (in .glm format) that's the proper scale and has the right tags. Someone could easily make an A-Wing or TIE Interceptor vehicle if they already have a model to use. MilkShape can import tons of model types and export an md3. You can then load the md3 in MD3View and export it from there as a .glm (ghoul2 model).

As for animal-type vehicles, all you need is the .npc, .veh, *rider tag and proper anims. You don't need to make all-new anims, you can just re-map existing anims to the needed vehicle anims. Check out the rancor and wampa animation.cfg files to see how I did this, as a test (note the rancor and wampa vehicle files - there are no rancor and wampa vehicles in the game, but I did those as a test to see how easy it is to make new animal-type vehicles). Using this method, you could convert any of our NPCs into a vehicle (imagine riding a droid or Stormtrooper around!)...

Once you've made your own vehicle, you can place one in the map by placing an NPC_Vehicle and setting it's NPC_type to the .npc file's name of the NPC vehicle. Or you can spawn it from the console by typing:

\npc spawn vehicle <npc vehicle name>

Without the "<" and ">"...

Good luck and have fun!
 DarkangelFOG
09-23-2003, 3:51 AM
Just to note, you may have to apply the devmap before using the npc spawn command in Multiplayer. So, /devmap mp/ffa1
Or, through rcon /rcon devmap mp/ffa1

PS: If there is away to spawn NPCs in MP without having cheats on. Let me know, please. Thanks.
 Scoundrel
09-23-2003, 5:37 AM
Thanks ChangKhan. That helped, but I still have one problem.

You can then load the md3 in MD3View and export it from there as a .glm (ghoul2 model).

I found some nice MD3 models, but where I can get that MD3View program?
 sights0d
09-23-2003, 1:51 PM
If you're talking about modviewer (model viewer), it is available by going to www.jediknightii.net) and going into the tools in the files section. Download the "jedi editing tools" and unpack them.
 DarthApollo
09-23-2003, 4:38 PM
So could someone please confirm this list of programs and where to get them? Also, please list any limitations such as version incompatibilities.

From what I can gather, any aspiring modelers for JA will need:
[list=1]
some version of Milkshape (what version? can it be legally downloaded for free? if so, where?)
JK2 Edit Tools made available from Raven (what version? yes there are 2)
[/list=1]

If this list is incomplete or incorrect, please post your own COMPLETE list.
 Cataphract_40
09-24-2003, 9:28 PM
Sounds interesting. How much does Milkshape cost?
 masterpayin
09-24-2003, 9:39 PM
Originally posted by DarkangelFOG
PS: If there is away to spawn NPCs in MP without having cheats on. Let me know, please. Thanks.

Make a level with the NPC's already in there... and add a trigger that if they die, to respawn them.... (Or respawn them after a certain period of no use...)
 ChangKhan[RAVEN]
09-25-2003, 2:35 AM
Originally posted by Scoundrel
Thanks ChangKhan. That helped, but I still have one problem.

I found some nice MD3 models, but where I can get that MD3View program?

I'm fairly sure we released that in our JK2 tool set (James also released a model mod set for JA not sure if it was in there?)

Try jediknight.net's file section or jk2files.com
 JediDude22
09-27-2003, 2:22 AM
Can I put these in base or do I have to put them in pk3?
 DarthApollo
09-27-2003, 2:32 AM
MilkShape is shareware. $30 for a license isn't too bad either. It's an alternative to the more expensive 3D Studio Max even if it has fewer features. Check it out at http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/index.html)
 garak88
09-28-2003, 8:30 AM
Is there anyway to get the vehicle rancor attack? Its fun riding it around but its nearly impossible to do any real damage from that high. I've tried changing the playerTeam in the NPC file and given it Melee like the normal rancor has, but this changes nothing.
 WadeV1589
10-02-2003, 6:36 PM
http://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/) - GMax, alternative to Milkshape, it's free, it's basically a cut down version of 3DS Max, very good!
 MuRaSaMuNe
10-02-2003, 7:49 PM
How exactly do you map the animations? I've been trying to do so for the Howler but it doesn't seem to be working. I checked the animation.cfg for the rancor and didn't notice anything. :confused:
 Tars_Tarkas
10-03-2003, 2:11 PM
Is there any chance that we could get a model for Ben's Corley from the now-defunct Full Throttle sequel? I love the swoop bikes available, but running down Dark Jedi in a Polecat chopper would totally put the game over the top. :moped

(I know this is probably a pipe dream, but I have to ask.)

I tried to ride a swoop or Tautaun through just about every SP level a few nights ago for some hilarious results. I recommend it.
:urpdude:
 majortom1969
10-03-2003, 2:11 PM
yo

i wonder to get rid of the swoops in the siege desert map ?
(without cheats on)

bcs when ppl ride them my screen goes crazy (switches from my few to the 1 that rides the swoop , makes it unplayable)
 monsoontide
10-03-2003, 8:43 PM
I'm working on Darth Maul's speeder, A Speeder Bike, A STAP and a Dewback.
I have the models done and 80% of the texturing done, so now what? How do I implement the tags? Are they just three sided polygons with the tag_rider surface as in the original Quake 3.
Also how do I make new/custom animations for the vehicles? Are they also done like the old Quake method?

I tried spawning a few vehicles and while quite fun, the whole control system needs an overhaul - It's impossible to steer most of the vehicles - even the swoop it hard (Since you have to keep moving the mouse to turn) Can this be changed in the .veh file?

Thanks for the tips, but still waiting on the "official" JKA tools.

Monsoontide
 El Sitherino
10-03-2003, 10:48 PM
Swoop
{
name Swoop
type VH_SPEEDER
numHands 2
lookYaw 45
lookPitch 20
length 128
width 32
height 32
centerOfGravity "-0.222 0 0"
speedMax 900
speedMin -150
turboSpeed 1900
turboDuration 2000
turboRecharge 8000
acceleration 20
decelIdle 10
strafePerc 0.5
bankingSpeed 0.5
rollLimit 45
pitchLimit 30
braking 10
mouseYaw 0.0038
turningSpeed 5
turnWhenStopped 0
traction 12
friction 1.5
maxSlope 0.75
mass 200
armor 2000
toughness 80.0
malfunctionArmorLevel 1000
model swoop
skin black|blue|gold|green|purple|default|silver
riderAnim BOTH_VS_IDLE
radarIcon "gfx/menus/radar/swoop"

soundOn "sound/vehicles/swoop/on.mp3"
soundOff "sound/vehicles/swoop/off.mp3"
soundLoop "sound/vehicles/swoop/loop.wav"
soundTakeOff "sound/vehicles/swoop/on.mp3"
soundEngineStart "sound/vehicles/swoop/on.mp3"
soundSpin "sound/vehicles/swoop/loop.wav"
soundTurbo "sound/vehicles/swoop/sb_revup.mp3"
soundFlyBy "sound/vehicles/swoop/flyby1.mp3"
soundFlyBy2 "sound/vehicles/swoop/flyby2.mp3"
soundShift "sound/vehicles/swoop/sb_shift1.mp3"
soundShift2 "sound/vehicles/swoop/sb_shift2.mp3"
soundShift3 "sound/vehicles/swoop/sb_shift3.mp3"
soundShift4 "sound/vehicles/swoop/sb_shift4.mp3"

exhaustFX "ships/burner"
impactFX "ships/scrape_sparks"
turboStartFX "ships/swoop_turbo_start"
armorLowFX "volumetric/black_smoke"
armorGoneFX "ships/fire"
flammable 1
explosionRadius 100
explosionDamage 250
explodeFX "ships/swoop_explosion"
explosionDelay 4500
wakeFX "ships/vehicle_wake"
gravity 800
waterProof 1
bouyancy 1
hoverHeight 30
hoverStrength 35

cameraOverride 1
cameraRange 125
cameraVertOffset 0
cameraPitchOffset 0
cameraFOV 100
cameraAlpha 0

weap1 swoop_laser
weap1Aim 1

weap1Delay 100

weap1AmmoMax 2000
weap1AmmoRechargeMS 200

weapMuzzle1 swoop_laser
}

that's taken from the swoop.veh :D
 Comet
10-07-2003, 11:55 AM
how do i make it so that the thing only respawns when the other dies?
 monsoontide
10-07-2003, 2:05 PM
If u r interested, I have posted some WIP vehicle pix in the showcase forum.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113941)

Monsoontide
 razorace
10-22-2003, 9:02 AM
The Open Jedi Project (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104564) is now taking submissions for a standard vehicle pack for use by mappers (and users). The thread talking about this is here (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115745).
 Duncan_10158
12-14-2003, 10:31 AM
I made a tutorial on how to import Vehicles into JA, here is the link:
http://io.meskinaw.net/vehicle_importing_tutorial_for_ja.html)

just to make it clear, you cant creat new vehicles using Gmax or Milkshape. it works only with 3ds Max, you have to export your model as XSI file and the use assimilate to creat a glm and a gla files. the way using md3view to export a md3 model as glm file does NOT work. read the tutorial.
 RenegadeOfPhunk
12-14-2003, 6:12 PM
I am currently working on updating and enhancing the current vehicle implementation in various areas.

atm, I have given vehicles the ability to jump. I am also working on giving vechicles different operational 'modes' - to cater for things like the Droideka.

Eventually, this new implementation will be included in the OJP (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=542) mod.

More details here (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119505).

If anybody has any requests, suggestions etc. feel free to post here, or in the OJP thread.
Page: 1 of 1