Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

OJP (Open Jedi Project)

Page: 5 of 5
 Emon
10-12-2003, 12:19 AM
I just had some oral surgery yesterday, so I'm quite a bit groggy this weekend, but I'll try to finish the menu files, sound packs, the installer (hopefully with the JO map extraction), website, etc. within a week.
 razorace
10-12-2003, 1:39 AM
Awesome.
 razorace
10-12-2003, 7:18 PM
Ok lamer. Get to work! :D
 RenegadeOfPhunk
10-12-2003, 7:57 PM
Guys,

URL:
OJP.jediknight.net

...ok?
 razorace
10-13-2003, 1:31 AM
seems fine to me. Please PM the server login information to me and Emon.
 razorace
10-16-2003, 7:24 AM
Ok, ladies and gentlemen, we just got our first submission! It's a eopie (the farting creature from episode 1) vehicle model by chairmaster.

You can check it out here (http://www.geocities.com/quakersnl/eopie.zip). It's not completed yet but it's looking pretty good so far.

Its filesize is small and I think a lot of people would like to use them in their maps if they could.
 Emon
10-16-2003, 9:39 PM
Not sure if it belongs... My idea was giving mappers the code backbone, not the models. Seems like bloat.
 RenegadeOfPhunk
10-16-2003, 11:12 PM
I agree - I'm not sure things like models should be included in the main OJP distributions themselves.

But, I could very well invisage OJP compatible and / or OJP 'approved' model packs, map packs etc - avalilable as seperate downloads...
 razorace
10-16-2003, 11:20 PM
So how are mappers suppose to have an unifed platform for additions vehicles/npcs?
 Chairwalker
10-17-2003, 12:26 AM
To include things like hilts and player models would indeed be wrong.
But vehicles are more like tiny additions.

If there werent some sort of pack, maps would have to include every custom npc its using, wich wouldnt be very good for file sizes.

At first i thought about having some sort of vehicle pack, but why not just use OJP ? They'd both practicly do the same.
 razorace
10-17-2003, 12:48 AM
I agree. Should I maybe post a poll in the mapper forum to see what they think?
 Emon
10-17-2003, 3:23 AM
Maybe, although most people probably don't know what OJP is yet.

Unified platform is only needed for code. I'm all for a model pack, but including it with the regular distributions is bloat. It's not like everyone is going to be using the same models. They can just include them in their own PK3.
 razorace
10-17-2003, 3:37 AM
Well, that's true. However, it would be much easier if we had a unified platform for it. Just like map textures. If it's something that a lot of people would want in their maps, it would probably be worth it to be a part of the project.

As for bloat, if it got over say, 2 megs, we could just make it a seperate distro release package.

I'll post a poll and see what happens.
 Emon
10-17-2003, 3:52 AM
Textures is a horrible idea. They will get really big, really fast. Most mappers don't use the same models or textures unless it's something like a TIE-Fighter or a vehicle. Textures are so different from each other.
 razorace
10-17-2003, 4:25 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply any sort of map texture library. That would be insane. I was referring to how it's much easier to use the default JKA textures vs. adding additional ones. :)

Well, maybe an JK2 texture install program would be ok...
 Emon
10-17-2003, 7:16 PM
Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how to do that with DevStudio 9 (InstallShield). But it has a terrible bubbly interface that's too user friendly and I can't figure out a damn thing. Reminds me of Bryce.
 ASk
10-17-2003, 10:16 PM
I believe that if you have .NET, you can use the Setup project creator there (at least in Enterprise Architect edition)

b) good diff util: get UnxUtils , it comes with a straight port of unix's 'diff', as well as 'grep' and other useful stuff, or you can get WinDiff, which I like less and Wingrep, which is low-featured.
 Emon
10-17-2003, 11:51 PM
VS .NET is a monstrosity of a program, I don't feel like wasting that kind of space, especially when Intel's compiler sucks anyway... I just need it to it to read from PK3s, CABs, or both.
 RenegadeOfPhunk
10-18-2003, 12:04 AM
VS .NET is a monstrosity of a program

:D

While .NET has it's problems, you've obviously never worked on a massive coding project with particular emphasis on GUI development over several years and trying to co-ordinate between several developers - or you may have a bit more appreciation of why some of the 'bloat' is nessesary...

I LOVE listening to different coding 'camps' talk about the other 'camp' like they don't have a braincell between the lot of them. Makes me laugh... ;)
 Emon
10-18-2003, 2:35 AM
I was talking about storage space...

Many people think .NET is going to flop horribly, the framework that is. I think they're right.
 RenegadeOfPhunk
10-18-2003, 3:21 AM
Oh I've no doubt your right - .NET WILL flop.

You MAY need to redefine the word 'flop', or it may actually flop.

...but either way you will almost certainly get the satisfaction of saying 'I told you so'.

Sorry, got a bit deep there.

Anyway - sure. .NET sucks. Sure thing
...and were now pretty off topic...

Yey!
 razorace
10-20-2003, 2:35 AM
Yes ladies, please keep the chit-chat on IRC or MSN.

Thanks.
 razorace
10-20-2003, 6:03 AM
Well, according to the small poll I created over in the mapping forum. People do seem to be interested in a vehicle pack for map development.

Should we go ahead and give it a try? I'll handle the additional paperwork. :) And if we do decide to do this, how "compete" does a vehicle have to be to be included? Chairmaster's model pretty far along but the animations need to be completed.
 RenegadeOfPhunk
10-20-2003, 9:16 AM
Personally, I think OJP 'packs' should set the standard. All inclusions to the packs should be as complete as possible. So in this specific case, I would say anims would need to be complete...

Basically, we should have a minimum 'standard' of overall quality.
In essense, I think we should ask the question:
'Would this vechicle / model / map look out of place if it had been included in the original game'..?

And - just as everything else - this should be decided by majority.

Of course this will all be much easier to organise once the website is up and running...

Those are my thoughts anwyay.
 razorace
10-20-2003, 4:58 PM
Fair enough. I'll go tell Chairmaster that we'll accept the model when he's hammered out the animations.
 razorace
10-20-2003, 7:36 PM
Well, Indy is attempting to use the OJP label again. This time on jk2files. http://www.jk2files.com/file.info?ID=19800)

I'm contacting the admins now. It would help if everything sends an email about it.
 razorace
10-23-2003, 6:08 AM
Ok, I'm in communication with jk2files.com about the OJP name issue but the problem is expanding. News sites (http://jediacademy.ravengames.com/) are now posting about the name swiper's mod.

Since this is starting to spiral out of control, I think we need to get a OJP release out soon. Even if it ends up being just my bugfix and the basic OJP documentation. At least we'll publically establish our claim to the name and the concept of OJP to the masses.

Emon, are you going to be able to get any of your work done by, say, late thursday? If not, we can just save your stuff for the next release.

Phunk, you mind bugging jk.net for a forum? I know they wanted a website but it looks like it's not going to be done for a while and we're getting too big for this thread.

In other news, I've created another text file on the repository (OJP_vehicles.txt). The new files deals with documentation on creating/editing vehicles for JKA. There's only a few notes in there now.
 razorace
10-23-2003, 10:55 AM
On another note, I think the Prequel sabers blades from Xalius Episode I Sabers (http://www.jk2files.com/file.info?ID=19778) look pretty good. Should I maybe talk to him and see if he'll submit them to OJP?

Anyone knowhow to control the flicker effect seen on the sabers? I'm pretty sure the prequel sabers have less flicker and the original trilogy have a bit more flicker.
 RenegadeOfPhunk
10-23-2003, 11:39 AM
As far as this whole name-swiping thing, I suggest that we treat the name 'OJP' like an internal project name.
i.e. just a name you use so that you can discuss the idea before you come up with an actual release name.
...and we don't decide the actual release name till just before we release it. That way, idiots can't just nick the name for their own stuff...

Putting aside the possibility that this guy came up with the same name co-incidently (highly unlikely), he's used it to inconvinience us and just plain piss us off.
So if we have to start releasing stuff early, or changing any of our plans because of him, then he's achieved his aim.
...I say don't give the little s**t the satisfaction.

Let's just use a different name for release. (It IS just a name after all...) And the first time anyone hears the name is when it's already released...

AS far as those new sabers, they look pretty smart. I'm not sure if it's just me, but they almost look TOO thin! But I think their pretty good anyway. I've got no problem with them being submitted...

..and I'll talk to Chris about getting forums ASAP.
 razorace
10-23-2003, 5:41 PM
Let's just use a different name for release. (It IS just a name after all...) And the first time anyone hears the name is when it's already released...

I'm voting a big fat NO on that. That's letting this bastard win and I like the current name.

As for a "early" release, that's not really true. I've been wanting to release for a while now, but have been waiting for Emon's menu enhancements. We need a release and a website so we can start pimpin' the project on news sites and getting non-moderator submissions.

AS far as those new sabers, they look pretty smart. I'm not sure if it's just me, but they almost look TOO thin! But I think their pretty good anyway. I've got no problem with them being submitted...

Yeah, I thought so too until I zoomed in on the blade in the game. It's pretty damn close to what it looks like in prequel trilogy except that there's not suppose to be a larger hilt emitter glow and the blade is flickering more than it should be.

The original blade looks more like something from the original trilogy. I think it would be pretty cool to allow players to select the "type" of blade (not just the color). I'll add that to the suggestion list. :)

Anyway, I'll email the creators about it.

..and I'll talk to Chris about getting forums ASAP. [/B]

Great.
 PhoenixOblivion
10-24-2003, 7:48 PM
Ok guys your name swiper is taken care of... Turns out as part of his pack he used a saber hilt that i created completely from scratch.. Well, Jk2files doesnt allow my files to be posted at the moment (which includes packs with my files in them)... So i just made a nice little post in the comments... and today that pack isnt there anymore... Goodluck and Godspeed.
 Wudan
10-26-2003, 2:08 PM
*Wudan senses a disturbance in the force.
 razorace
10-26-2003, 7:34 PM
Originally posted by Wudan
*Wudan senses a disturbance in the force. Kyle: "You always sense a disturbance in the Force."

Anyway, Emon reports that the website is near completion, we just need the OJP webspace account information (Phunk please send it to me and Emon) and to fill out the site with information.

In addition, chairwalker has updated the eopie vehicle model with better animations. You can find it here. (http://www.geocities.com/quakersnl/eopie.zip) I think it looks good enough for release now. :) There's some issues with it, but I think most of it is due to the odd vehicle handling system. We can work on that when we get the SDK. :)

All in favor of adding eopie to OJP's vehicle pack?

All in favor of tagging/bagging our stuff and getting a first release out the door?
 Wudan
10-26-2003, 7:37 PM
Double Post?

This can mean only one thing. Razor is gathering a post count to resurrect and evil dark Forum Troll.
 razorace
10-26-2003, 7:38 PM
Originally posted by razorace
All in favor of adding eopie to OJP's vehicle pack?I!
All in favor of tagging/bagging our stuff and getting a first release out the door?I!
 razorace
10-26-2003, 7:40 PM
Originally posted by Wudan
This can mean only one thing.

....that my dial up sucks?
 razorace
10-27-2003, 7:46 PM
Ok ladies, we got another submission! This time it's from TiM with a simple mod that allows the hidden saber hilts to be used in MP.

You can find the file here (http://www.jk2files.com/file.info?ID=19974).

Since noone has commented. I'll just add stuff to the CVS repository unless people complain.

EDIT: I'll still let everyone know that I'm adding stuff of course. :)
 razorace
10-30-2003, 12:17 PM
Ok, I figured out how to do the player class stuff so I'm working on converting the hoth cold suit (seen in SP) into a body part (with color selection!) in SP or MP.

I've already completed the work for the jedi_hm (human male) and the jedi_zf (zabrak female). All the stuff that has been completed so far is on the repository.

Once I'm done, I'll package up everything in OJP and we can have our first release! I'm guessing that I'll finish sometime tomorrow or day after tomorrow.

In other news, we're making progress on the website. There's a prototype up at a "undisclosed location" but it doesn't actually do anything yet. We'll keep you posted.

And finally, I noticed that this thread seems to have more post than the rest of the forum combined. Admins, we need our own forum!
 RenegadeOfPhunk
10-30-2003, 12:52 PM
 razorace
10-30-2003, 6:35 PM
Awesome!

*drives in*
 babywax
10-30-2003, 10:06 PM
Ok, I figured out how to do the player class stuff so I'm working on converting the hoth cold suit (seen in SP) into a body part (with color selection!) in SP or MP.

Hoth cold suit is available in MP, I use it :)
Just select a race, and select a head, then select the last torso in the list and the last legs. Then, in the console, type "model" and press enter. One you get what comes out, you'll have something like this: model jedi_hm/head_e1|torso_f1|legs_f1 That's from memory but it should be something like that. Change the letter on the torso/legs to be the next letter in the alphabet and there you have it, hoth cold suit :)

EDIT: Oh, cool :)
 razorace
10-30-2003, 10:23 PM
Yeah, I know. I've added icons and selectable colors in addition. Much easier.
 thesaiyan
03-19-2004, 3:42 AM
I dont suppose there is an official OJP Website is there? I think you could probably get funding from the community by asking for donations via PayPal or something.

Dam I'm dumb, I remembered I had it bookmarked. I still think it should run under its own power and domain tho

http://www.bluecapacity.com) has very reasonable Hosting Rates.

I do alot of editing for JA, though I tend to be critical of myself and have not released hardly any of it. I hope to contribute to the OJP when I have the time to do so.
 razorace
03-20-2004, 2:22 AM
Woah. old thread. Please use the OJP forums from now on. They are here (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=542).

I'm not a webdesign fan so I don't really deal with website stuff. However, I'm against a PayPal account for "donations". We're not suppose to profit from any of this and having people donate money goes against that. Plus, PayPal is just going to jack you over with surcharges anyway.
Page: 5 of 5