Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

GameSpot Review: ONLY 8.4! WTF???

Page: 2 of 2
 Jello123
09-19-2003, 2:31 AM
OMGOMG!! LOOK!! ENEMY FC!!! DIEE!!!!

*flag gets capped*

*presses buttons to do kata*

oh yeah...go hex times 2
 Rumor
09-19-2003, 3:03 AM
Originally posted by Remij
ChangaKhan:

I gotta say that I'm dissapointed with the multiplayer aspect of Jedi Academy. In JO, I really only played the multiplayer game, not too much of the single player game, many of my friends are the same way, the multiplayer in JO is plainly the best online videogaming experience I have ever had. But sometimes I feel like I've only gotten half of a game with JO, the single player game is still great dont get me wrong, its just with such an incredible experience playing with other people, I never got into the Single player mode.

Now, this brings me to my point with JA, I myself and many others, feel that the changes made to the multiplayer game, will reduce the game to a hack and slash melee that lowers the quality of the online experience. Kicks being removed is almost unacceptable for me because of the style in which I play. The tempo of the game has slowed considerably and is generally a bore.

I really wanted to like this game, and I still do, the customization is incredible(kudos for that) and everything is really intuitive, but it is falling short of my own, and many of my friends expectations!
with sooo many other great games coming out this year, with the way JA is right now, I honestly doubt it will be getting much of my attention, especially since JO mp is still greater than JA mp.

thanks for ur time and efforts

disgruntled jedi, Remij

i couldn't agree more, my young padawan :cool:
 Imm0z
09-19-2003, 4:45 AM
jk2 ownz jk3

jk3 the buggy beta ownz jk3

hell, i had more fun owning bots in the beta than playing jk3 mp

i wasted one hour running around like a n00b and swinging my stupid saber and hardly killing anyone in jk3 mp. All i did was whore lightning and i was voted out of the server. And i still see ppl do saber down= peace. die ma'fuka u ruin everything

i forgot, the only thing i like about the game is force lightning.

x+XCuBeX+x

Cube*says*fuk*u
 StaffMaster
09-19-2003, 12:39 PM
it seems that those who are complainning are the ones that were kick spamming and basically abusing other players who wanted to get the most out of online saber battle only to get bored and frustrated by maniacs who use it as an OpenGl chat room and then kickwhore those who are merely to enjoy the intent of the game.

In the latter days of OUtcast I hardly played anymore because of the premadonnas runnning around on the server.

If your version of online gaming was so fun then why were the servers practically barren in the months leading up to this game.

Whereas in version 1.02 it was still a vibrant game?

I agree with RAD.......do away with the retarded admin mods.
If someone is being a moron let the players vote him out.

PLain and simple.

In summation if all the retards who ruined OUtcast online shunning this latest incarnation then...........
GOOD RIDDANCE
Hope fully we will get a new batch of enthusiastic gamers who arent interested in standing around trying to look cool and chatting in OpenGL
 traj
09-19-2003, 1:18 PM
You seriously confused me right now. Did you just say that the people whining about kicks are the same ones who use the game as a chat room?

If so, you couldn't be more wrong.

Those of us who want the kicks back in the game are FF/SO CTF players and FF duelists. Kicks are important in CTF and FF duels. Thats what we care about. The people who use this game as a chat room have nothing to whine about. Thay got what they wanted.

Cool looking saber animations that are ridiculously easy to avoid, and new saber hilts. Competitive play is slowed down, dumbed down, and dulled down. A real disappointment. Why would you make a sequel slower?
 Jello123
09-19-2003, 2:00 PM
to summarize staff master's post:

i was a nub so i quit JO

gg
 Poison
09-19-2003, 2:29 PM
If you notice, even with the release of JA, JK2 CTF servers are still played in.

I haven't bought the game yet (and I don't know if I will) but I was kinda surprised when even a few days after its release, some people who had the game were in [div3rse] CTF server playing JK2.

I asked a few people if they had JA yet, and a few said yes. I asked why they weren't playing it instead, and they said they enjoyed playing JK2 better.

I won't be surprised if next week this is still true.
 traj
09-19-2003, 3:20 PM
...and all of that would be fine. We could stay in JO and play the game we all love.

The problem is, JA has some really cool ****. Nicer graphics, nice maps, and a larger community. The vast majority of the JO community has long since packed it up and moved on. To put it bluntly, it's a ghost town over there.

Now here's an opportuniy to play on larger maps with a larger community and new maps. That's what we all want to do. Now all we need is working balance that makes sense for FF/SO CTF and FF Duels and we'd be set.
 =AX=Katalyst
09-19-2003, 10:23 PM
U wanna go talk? get aim

u wanna get ur butt kicked? come to jk2 SO CTF

u wanna get owned by a nub who can press 3 buttons? go to JA

u wanna have fun? put jk3 texts and maps in jk2

u wanan know what happens if that does? jk3 = dead for serious players=jk2 ownz again
 StaffMaster
09-19-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Jello123
to summarize staff master's post:

i was a nub so i quit JO

gg

Keep dreaming Kemosabe the only fun i would get out of playing outcast in its latter days was going to these clan servers and owning.

I still didnt see the point in 20 somewhat ppl standing around in an online game like it was some loser cyber cafe or something.

as far kicks being a part of competitive play thats subjective.

Im a saber purist and believe in beating you strictly with my saber skills.Anything ater that ws window dressing.

That being said I find Academy a pure delight.
More moves tighter control
different saber styles
unstoppable katas
(those that complain about its usefullness are noobs)
(infact its my main death strike move)

IM preachig to the choir whenIsay to Raven to keep doing what their doing and forget all the basket cases who cant get with the times.
 BigFurryWhale
09-20-2003, 12:01 AM
Ok... this is rediculous. As a ff/so/ctf player I am offended. You say that you go into clan servers and "own" them. If you are referring to ctf servers i KNOW this isn't true. Those who can't kick, or find it a "lamer" move will not go -anywhere- in so/ff/ctf. n fact, I invite you any time to swing by the div server, and try and "own" any decent player. Im sure it would be a gf.

if jk3 is basically jk2 with force combos dumbed down, force itself dumbed down, and kick removed, there is NO point in playing it.
 Jello123
09-20-2003, 12:45 AM
Somebody shave that whale!

neway

to summarize staffmaster's post again:

OMG1!!! FOrcE WHoOREE!! REAL jeDI dont use ForCe!11!

and do what furrywhale advised you to
come and swing by [div3rse] CTF and experience owning..

being owned that is.

"unstoppable" laff ok there..it's called avoiding it

you see a car coming..you get the hell out of the way

you see some one doing a kata in front of you..YOU RUN INTO HIM CUZ YOU FIND HIM SEXY WHEN HE'S DOING HIS GLO STICK MOVES

!!1!!11
 StaffMaster
09-20-2003, 1:37 AM
"Could you please stand still while i perform my kata on you"

IF thatts what you imagine happens when I play online I seriously question your sanity.

Is that what happend with DFA in Outcast?

'yeah oh ok hold right there while I line up TO DFA you"

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
 Side
09-20-2003, 1:50 AM
erm dude....jello=/sarcasm

evry1 know u dont stand still in front of katas or jk2 DFA,he was stating how useless kata are
 [fk]myth.
09-20-2003, 1:51 AM
I would just like to say... forshame.

I was a fluent JO player, and I thought you guys (raven) really hit the ball with that one. It was my alltime favourite game and made me get into gaming a little more seriously. I couldn't pry my eyes away from that game.

Back when summer was just starting (or before, I cant remember) I was so hyped about JA that I wanted it the first minute it was shipped. Now, I haven't gotten it yet, because in my opinion it isn't worth the $50. From what I've heard, and not just 1 person, from most of the JO community, was that this game isn't worth $20.

Everything is nerfed. This game's target community are the "Honor Code" saber people who ran around with their sabers swining or amsitting yelling "Saber down no attack lamer!" Now, I'm sure they're going to love this game, but I must say that I am appauled by the physics of this game. No kick, no pull throw, these are the moves that seperated the Gamers from the "OMGz My Sk!n lo0K$ lik3 d4rth MauL !!! lUk3 i M ju0r f4ther!!" people.

You guys worked hard on this game, and touche, a fine game indeed, but... for people who want to play a FPS game and not an RPG, this game is a big dissappointment... Oh well, there's always JK4...
 g//plaZma
09-20-2003, 2:06 AM
Originally posted by [fk]myth.
You guys worked hard on this game, and touche, a fine game indeed, but... for people who want to play a FPS game and not an RPG, this game is a big dissappointment... Oh well, there's always JK4...

The way everything's headed now, I won't be suprised if JK4 ends up being an RPG like KOTOR with an MP like Diablo2 (both games aren't that bad but they're just not JK)
 StaffMaster
09-20-2003, 2:06 AM
Originally posted by Side
erm dude....jello=/sarcasm

evry1 know u dont stand still in front of katas or jk2 DFA,he was stating how useless kata are

and im stating that I have seen few people able to avoid my katas in combination with my fighting style.
 ganjalf
09-20-2003, 3:54 AM
Dear Raven

If u readin this post it is because i am dead.......**** NO WRONG MESSAGE.......If ur readin this post its cos u done summat wrong mateyrinos basiccaly in blunt im gunna sum up what u need to do to make ur multiplayer aspect ummmmmmm howshould i put it.oh yeah playable. First off get rid of the gay ass katas (we know they look good but ffs their ****e an overused) also get rid of the combos (crouch forward and fire) and also put the kick back in part from that everythings good. i dont min d the multiplayer too much but the katas and combos over balance the stab move and killin noobs doin combos just well umm aint as fun as watchin em mess up a move they meant to do lmao. but i have to say GG all the same dudes u just need to patch some stuff up (as to be expected) and some of u shouldnt diss it so early what would u rather do? play shadows of the empire?
 Jello123
09-20-2003, 4:23 AM
Originally posted by StaffMaster
and im stating that I have seen few people able to avoid my katas in combination with my fighting style.

in ja, it forces the opponent to come close to you in other to have ANY chance of killing some dude (not considerin pull throw but w/e) ...should you be ffaing..and this SHOULD only occur when ur ffaing...thus you can kata all you want

ctf = different story

therefore, it is not YOUR fighting style..but the style that Raven wanted it to be
 Imm0z
09-20-2003, 5:26 AM
when u do a kata atleast u should be able to run or move around instead of standing there like a bitch and getting ur ass fuked.

and force lightning is all great raven and lucas but really u fly back a mile when u get hit by it, thou its fun, i dont like it. COuld be fun in ctf...

AND PLEASE PUT KICK BACK. i keep double tapping jump.
 ganjalf
09-20-2003, 7:52 AM
JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP = people look like rabbits tryin to kick lmao they just jump around
 [fk]myth.
09-20-2003, 12:36 PM
I still don't see why these moves were taken out in the first place? To put more emphasis on running around holding the Attack1 button? Looking like a fool doing a kata while the person moves back and throws his saber at you 3-4 times? Or giving the RPG "honor" people what they wanted? I'm confused, Raven.
 g//plaZma
09-20-2003, 1:13 PM
In my opinion, the katas are fine as they are. Sometimes, they're useful in situations and other times, they will get you killed for doing them randomly.

The only thing I'd like to see changed is the fact that all you have to press is fire+alt fire to execute one. Anyone can do that with ease. It's strange how the specials on the single saber require more buttons to press and more timing to execute but yet, they do significantly less damage than what you can do by pressing fire+alt fire.
 kru
09-20-2003, 4:06 PM
Anybody with saber down in FFA deserves a beating. It is by far the most annoying thing in the game.
 [fk]myth.
09-20-2003, 4:14 PM
Originally posted by kru
Anybody with saber down in FFA deserves a beating. It is by far the most annoying thing in the game.

Amen
 Jedith
09-20-2003, 5:28 PM
Originally posted by Slyuss
lol, most of us are probably happy that it doesn't use the Unreal2 or Half-Life 2 engines. I'm still usin a GeForce 2 MX 400 and JA and JO run pretty much perfectly (about 30-40) constant FPS. Unless you spawn about 10 chewies and 10 enemies =)) which is quite fun to do! =) I got the same card. I get like, 1fps when I log onto MP. It just simply lags the HELL out and freezes.
Page: 2 of 2