Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

IGN Review's Jedi Academy!

Page: 1 of 1
 xtrazx75
09-16-2003, 1:29 AM
 xtrazx75
09-16-2003, 1:43 AM
IGN enjoyed the new Siege mode:

"One new mode, Siege, is quite compelling. Reminiscent of Wolfenstein's class-based objective mode, Siege requires teamwork and specialization from all players in order to work appropriately. We've had our own fun on this is more limited matches here at work and we're anxious to see what happens once the title ships and players start flooding the servers. " --- IGN.com
 xtrazx75
09-16-2003, 2:10 AM
After reading IGN's review again - it seems that the reviewer was more dissapointed in not being Kyle Katarn then anything else.... IMO - who really cares? I been Kyle Katarn from Dark Forces and to tell you the truth - he's getting kind of boring - same ol' ugly brown suit and all. His story has been told already and was compelling... how much more of the Valley of the Jedi and his relationship with Jan Ors are we going to see over and over again - time for some new, fresh characters.... and the fact that the character is "your" own choice is great.

Kyle is still a major player in the game. At least Raven informed their customers that the main character is a new "student" and not Kyle - unlike METAL GEAR Solid 2 - where people bought the game to play as badd@ss Snake and end up playing a bisexual blonde freak boy. LOL
 Anakin1607
09-16-2003, 2:19 AM
It's a very fair review. Much more so than the early crap we were reading a week ago.
 SpaceButler13
09-16-2003, 6:38 AM
I think with both this and the gamespot review, the criticisms are valid, but what they are criticizing is actually a set of design decisions mandated by the license. First of all, graphics-wise, yes it is Quake III. It's fine to point that out, but to harp on it because they didn't wait for a next-gen engine or license Unreal is slightly odd. The less involving plot, which I haven't seen yet, comes with the territory of customizability, which is somewhat requisite just considering it's the fourth game in the series and I agree that Kyle is overdone. All in all, good reviews that just could have used some context in the criticism. No, I haven't played it yet, so this is speculation.
 Omikron
09-16-2003, 6:56 AM
Yo, has anyone seen this screenie:

http://mediaviewer.ign.com/ignMediaPage.jsp?media_id=1811970&object_id=498701&channel_id=59&page_title=Star+Wars+Jedi+Knight%3A+Jedi+Academy+R) eview&adtag=network%3Dign%26size%3D468x60%26channel%3Dpc %26site%3Dpc_hub%26channel%3Dreviews%26type%3Dpart ner

that outfit isn't in the demo (as far as i'm aware).
 StormHammer
09-16-2003, 10:56 AM
Another good review for the game. :thumbsup:

It's a bit of a shame that the story is not as 'strong' as the one in Jedi Outcast, by the sound of it. It is harder to develop something truly compelling when you're offering more choice in both the order and variety of the missions, though.

It sounds like your character has a very shallow background and premise - which is unfortunate. The one thing that made Kyle so successful was the compelling background story of both his past and his exploits. On the other hand, I suppose there is more scope here for the RPG-style players out there to build up their own, individual backgrounds for their in-game characters - so the character thread loitering around on this forum actually has a better context.
Page: 1 of 1