Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Official Demo Thread (No others, please - Jed) *SPOILERS*

Page: 2 of 4
 cheeto101
09-06-2003, 7:51 AM
naw thats just the twirl, i mean, i see these guys pullin off some moves with the extra saber trails that katas get and they got dual sabers. (heh another sweet attack is the jumping forward attack with the dual sabers, the two spinning hops, that attack slays)
 BuRn99
09-06-2003, 7:55 AM
roll stab is your best friend =)

anyway, i loved the demo. i felt like they gave just enough away without spoiling anything. definitely going to be a dual saber person, the spinning cartwheel(think neo the way he spinned when he got up against smith) dont know how to pull it off butt did it twice. cutscenes where the shiznit, wall jump....droooolllll

best expierience yet = i managed to get two cultists to surround me and pulled off a double kill with the double stab(in front and back)
 Dr_night
09-06-2003, 8:13 AM
Originally posted by VanishingVision
Yah I like how nice the saber scars are... the combat actually takes skill! and there are a lot of specials to learn im gonna print out the readme it has all the moves catologed and explains how to use them....

Cheers,
-VanishingVision
where is the demo readme?
 BigMexican
09-06-2003, 8:18 AM
readme is [JADemopath]\install\readme.txt

and im pretty sure the kata's that the reborns do with their saberstaffs/dual sabers are the same as the moves you can do, but just with the tails for added effect.

the cartwheel/butterfly kick moves can be done by forward+jump+attack with the dual/staff sabers.
 Darth]-[azard
09-06-2003, 8:31 AM
Originally posted by Anakin1607
Yeah, it rocks to have a gun that finally works on Dark Jedi. :D

Anyone catch that one Cultist line? "The Sith shall rise again" or something like that? Scary. :cool:

I heard it, Once. Now I wanna Join them....then destroy them from the Inside and bring back the Sith Order in MY Image.

A master, an Apprentice, and an Army.

EDIT: BTW, Want the Ultimate Challange? Try the Chandrilla Level with a Single Saber. Bettcha ya can't do it, I had to finish it with a Staffsaber. I'm gonna try again later witht he single saber.

EDIT: There is an ingame instruction manual on doing the moves. Tab, Moves.
 Chew-Z
09-06-2003, 8:46 AM
I used single saber and was a little bit disappointed.
You can only use one stance, no chaining to other.

And the Reborn can kick you, doesn't matter if they use single, double or staff.
 SRF_Vader
09-06-2003, 8:51 AM
EDIT: BTW, Want the Ultimate Challange? Try the Chandrilla Level with a Single Saber. Bettcha ya can't do it, I had to finish it with a Staffsaber. I'm gonna try again later witht he single saber.

I got through it with a single saber (My favorite, forever will i use a Single Saber). 2 times, once with blue stance and another with yellow stance (Fast,Medium)
 Darth]-[azard
09-06-2003, 9:04 AM
As am I single stance forever, but since the opportunity arrose, I used all availaible styles.

Also, When you play the full version, you will have to advance, so just pick up more styles when availaible. I just wonder if you'll be able to pick my favourite stance to start off, fast.
 BigMexican
09-06-2003, 9:37 AM
killing reborn with single saber is easy, just use heavy DFA or downward swing and it smashes their defenses aside. grip makes that level too easy though.
 SmackerRod222
09-06-2003, 10:30 AM
What do you guys think of the new acrobatics from the demo along with the 2 new lightsabers. Check out the new fx for force drain awsome looking game. In less then a month its here! Goodbye Outcast hello Academy
 Alegis
09-06-2003, 11:31 AM
the game rocks!

Easy move list:

Carthweel:

-Just do a side jump and then attack

DFA:

-Jump, and immediately after that press forward+jump...too bad not the same as in JO

Crouch thingy: Dual bladed/fisted

-Crouch, forward+attack
 BigMexican
09-06-2003, 11:53 AM
i find DFA is easier if you hold down forward, then tap jump+attack.

all the moves are available in-game however, hit tab, then select moves, then select your saber style or acrobatics to bring up a list of moves, their requirements, and how to do them.

my favourites so far would definately be the saberstaff kicks and the single saber pull+attack. dual sabers don't do that much for me, although the saber barrier move is kinda cool.
 anonymous4
09-06-2003, 12:02 PM
help. does anyone know where to get the demo? i went to the official site and it doesnt have it.
 Tie Pilot
09-06-2003, 12:07 PM
help. does anyone know where to get the demo? i went to the official site and it doesnt have it.

Try here www.gamershell.com) it might be abit full now but i got it just fine:D
 Kurgan
09-06-2003, 12:09 PM
On JediKnight.Net news page, we've posted a list of mirrors.
 tom4stir
09-06-2003, 12:13 PM
2 really cool things I noticed.

The enemy AI is a huge improvemnt. I had one the the cult members corronered in the corner, then the crouched down to fight me better. Also, once I was dead, he kicked me! :D

And second, I accidetly did the coolest move ever, but I can't do it agian! I used force speed, then jumped at a cult member. But instead of doing a normal jump, my guy DOVE at him holding his lightsaber out! Unfortently, I fell off cilff and died. But I have't been able to do thins move agian. Has anyone done a move like this?
 Sam
09-06-2003, 12:14 PM
I'm downloading it now........8 minute wait.....NOOOO!
 handyman
09-06-2003, 12:44 PM
i dont know about u but i found it almost imposible to beat the 3 ninjas on Chandrila, all other ninjas upto that point were easierly beaten. joy quikly turned to frustration as i battled for minuits on end
 Darth Lunatic
09-06-2003, 1:09 PM
Ninjas?? :D

Dark jedi or sith i would tend to call them. And yes they were quite challenging indeed!

Loved the demo btw!! Great fun!
 Rassick
09-06-2003, 1:13 PM
Okay, I don't know if it's something wrong with my system or what.....
I have all the latest drivers, and yet the bottom of that chasm in the underground Chandrila level is all colored a plain blue for me. Is it supposed to be like that, or is it supposed to be black?
 Kazutoyo
09-06-2003, 1:34 PM
I didn't like the 1st demo level, but the 2nd one is FUN! :D

I also noticed that they haven't fixed a "bug" from Jedi Outcast :) Use grip on someone over a "hole" and drop him. Then grip him again while falling down and move him to a safe place. He will still die from the long falling one saved him from :P But not that I care much about that.

Overall, I was pleased with it. And hope that most levels in the game are as fun as the 2nd one (which I belive they are). The saberglow is very cool! :cool:
 Reprehence
09-06-2003, 1:53 PM
I experienced the same thing when I first loaded up - it was nearly unplayable - however -

In looking at the mouse settings I noticed that Force-Feedback mouse was defaulted to Yes. I don't have a FF mouse - so I turned it off. Now it's as smooth warm butter.

I don't know why this default was set. It seems strange since I don't know that many with an FF mouse (maybe I'm wrong).

Don't know if this helps everyone - but it helped me.
 taekwondo joe
09-06-2003, 1:57 PM
oh man this demo rocks, great fun, slashesing up dead bodys turrning them into charred up carcases, is great fun, the cultists are but and even better than i could emagin, love it, great fun!
 C'jais
09-06-2003, 2:03 PM
I liked the demo very much, the same basic gameplay as JK2, but improved in nearly all apartments.

They did a lot of work on the staff/dual sabers, but they still feel way too uncontrollable. You just hold down the fire button and walk into an enemy while twirling your saber like mad - instant hits almost guaranteed.

All these preconfigured "twirl moves" and katas I have my doubts about - it is *YOU* who are supposed to make those moves by using your imagination and skilled keystrokes. Not rely on spamming scripted moves (yes, I said it).

That is why I am going to forsake the gorgeous staffsaber and concentrate on my favoured medium stance, to show that it is possible to control your strikes as well as look cool at the same time. I don't like doing this, especially since the staff's moves are so beautifully well done, but I'm at least going to give medium stance a try.

That said, I love the new moves -spider climbing on walls, kicking (wish it was possible with a single saber), rolls, thrusts, butterfly moves etc. All very well done indeed.

A shame about the spin-fu required to fight with the new sabers.
 Leo Soontar
09-06-2003, 2:21 PM
Okay one guy has asked about the long-jump so here's how to do it.

Press Force Speed (has to be level 2 or 3 and up, I think, not sure), then immediately run fowards (W) and jump (SPACE). You'll see one helluva cool Matrix-like jump, in which you can also turn on or off your saber in midair. I used this jump to cross the gapped bridge where there are 2 cultists waiting on the other side, complete with turning on my blade in midair, after landing slicing the hell out of them. Completey kick a**!!!

I also used this jump to cross the falling rocks at the end of the level when everything breaks apart and you have to escape like any good Hollywood adventure movie. Wow.
 Leo Soontar
09-06-2003, 2:25 PM
Originally posted by Darth]-[azard
I heard it, Once. Now I wanna Join them....then destroy them from the Inside and bring back the Sith Order in MY Image.

A master, an Apprentice, and an Army.

EDIT: There is an ingame instruction manual on doing the moves. Tab, Moves.

I played it with a single green saber the first time through. Beat it, sure did. Was hard, but not impossible. After awhile you get the hang of all the techniques you start to really kick a**.

P.S. I was playing on Jedi Knight difficulty.
 VanishingVision
09-06-2003, 2:26 PM
You actually need "Force Jump" 3 and at least "Force Speed" 1

Enjoy,

VanishingVision
 Pedro The Hutt
09-06-2003, 2:49 PM
The single saber sure has been improved nicely methinks, Raven saved it from becoming obsolete. Congrats to Raven for being able to do that.

Also nice that they didn't include all character customisation options. Won't spoil EVERYTHING for us XD Although I might end up recreating my demo character in the completed version. >.>

And to beat groups of cult gits, try breaking up the group and deal with them seperately.
 PrimoSidone
09-06-2003, 2:51 PM
finished the demo 8 times. now... it ROCKS
 TheBlueFlamingo
09-06-2003, 3:17 PM
Some of the AI is stupid. The new reborn wouldnt attack me untill i came clase to them or shot at them, in the cave level. Even if i was in plain sight shoting and killing, they would just stand there till i got close enough. In one room there were 3 of them, i ran in a few times and got killed, so i went in slowly and, i guess you could say "actavated" the reborn one at a time by shoting at them or gettign close, made it easier, but shouldnt they attack you at their own will when they see you or hear you attacking thier friends? Or mabe if they see the glow or hear your saber? Other than that, sweet game.
 xeltek1
09-06-2003, 3:27 PM
I have found a way of jumping REALLY high, by that i do not mean (forcejump+forcespeed) or just (forcejump) however, i have done it by mistake 3 times and when looking for a way of doing it, i cant do it.. something around jump back and forth and perhaps secondary fire when using lightsaber. I jump extremely high without suffering any damage when coming down, seems to be on the edge of the falldamage
 WhiteShdw
09-06-2003, 3:29 PM
Originally posted by TheBlueFlamingo
Some of the AI is stupid. The new reborn wouldnt attack me untill i came clase to them or shot at them, in the cave level. Even if i was in plain sight shoting and killing, they would just stand there till i got close enough. In one room there were 3 of them, i ran in a few times and got killed, so i went in slowly and, i guess you could say "actavated" the reborn one at a time by shoting at them or gettign close, made it easier, but shouldnt they attack you at their own will when they see you or hear you attacking thier friends? Or mabe if they see the glow or hear your saber? Other than that, sweet game.

It doesn't seem different from JK2 to me. I don't think it has to do with the AI. If you edit the NPC file and give them a better viewing distance and increase their aggresion i'm pretty sure they'll go after you as soon as they see you.

I also think they point of those Reborns is that they guard the area that they are placed in, not just run after every dude that walks by. You're gonna have to go past them anyway, so why should they come to you :D.
 Leo Soontar
09-06-2003, 3:33 PM
Originally posted by WhiteShdw
It doesn't seem different from JK2 to me. I don't think it has to do with the AI. If you edit the NPC file and give them a better viewing distance and increase their aggresion i'm pretty sure they'll go after you as soon as they see you.

I also think they point of those Reborns is that they guard the area that they are placed in, not just run after every dude that walks by. You're gonna have to go past them anyway, so why should they come to you :D.

It's called Western style face-off. If you ignite your saber first you have to run in and give the first attack. If they ignite their saber first you have to defend yourself because likely they're gonna give the first swing. It's testing your patience to see who's gonna draw first. Usually I walk in slowly and at the instant they ignite their saber I ignite my own and run in (sometimes with force speed) and start hacking. It's just like real kenjutsu/battoujutsu.
 C'jais
09-06-2003, 3:50 PM
Originally posted by Pedro The Hutt
The single saber sure has been improved nicely methinks, Raven saved it from becoming obsolete. Congrats to Raven for being able to do that.

What do you mean? :confused:

As far as I can tell, the single saber is exactly the same as in JK2, apart from the katas and new butterfly and roll moves.

BTW, it's very nice to see that the kicks do not give much damage, and you are *very* vulnerable when kicking.
 N/A
09-06-2003, 3:54 PM
lo

1.) is there a console command to show the fps ? if so how do i open the console ? and is there a list somewhere with usefull commands ? thx

2.) is it just me or is the saber staff vastly more efficient ?
i played through the demo with the dual sabers first and had to think a bit to beat those culties, then i pld with the staff and the same difficult level and i almost walked through them ....but then i could just be that i was more expirienced the 2nd time
 snowman21
09-06-2003, 4:40 PM
ok, so ive tried the npc spawn code with some of the previous names, and all i get is the game crashing. But after a while i figured out that to spawn one of the new reborns in the game type:
npc spawn reborn_new

also there are some others:

npc spawn weequay

npc spawn trandoshan

and
npc spawn jawa
enjoy!
 taekwondo joe
09-06-2003, 5:12 PM
hey i found a secret aria, its in the tomb level, after you open the big doors by using force sight, go and kill the guy, then procede to the platform, a dark jedi pops up at you, kill him, then jump down, to the brige, right before your charictor says, "woa, how am i gonna get across there?" turn left off the bridge, to the little patch, keep going, then you can see a little aria to jump to, do it, kill the guy thats there, and bam, secret aria
 mariners2001
09-06-2003, 9:42 PM
please post here if you guys find any hidden moves and such....here are some console commands I found that are awesome:
"Taunt" & "Boast" (the Boast is awesome with the Staff)

and more NPCs:
Cultist_Destroyer, Cultist_Drain, Cultist_Grip, Cultist_Lightning (no skin but a model), Cultist_Saber, Human_Merc, Cultist_Saber_Throw, Cultist_Saber_Med, Cultist_Saber_Strong, Cultist_Saber_All, Jedi_Random (haven't tested this yet), Reborn_Staff, Reborn_Dual, Reborn_Twin

And one AWESOME one:
CultistCommando (He has two fast guns and does flips and crap. Amazing. Try taking on a squad of them
 snowman21
09-06-2003, 10:29 PM
:D Good work mariners2001, that beats the crap out of my little list :D
 ImmolatedYoda
09-06-2003, 10:45 PM
"quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ive tried to start editing the files, but it seems now i cant make a pk3 thats not corrupted

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can't edit the pk3 file in demo, from obvious reasons. It checks for the file's CRC against a hardcoded constant."

no Ask, i wasnt trying to edit the demo pk3. i was trying to edit the files and put them in pk3s so they would change the game, but every time i ran the demo, it would say "Pak 234252323 (some number) corrupted."
 Kurgan
09-06-2003, 10:58 PM
Now that I've got a playable framerate, I have beaten Mos Eisley and am now somewhere lost in the temple.

It was cool at one point how I got killed by three Reborns (I was really low on health) and so just for the heck of it I spawned in Kyle... he really kicked butt!

While the battle went far off (they all ran around a lot) I could see him using Force Protection and other powers. And the voices couldn't have been more perfect...

Reborn guy: You are weak.

Kyle: You've gotta be kidding! Nice try.

As I had hopped our hero emerged victorious and avenged his fallen Padawan. ; )
 JDKnite188
09-06-2003, 11:12 PM
Demo rocked. Screenshots later.
 Kurgan
09-06-2003, 11:39 PM
Spawned in some more Kyle action. Man, he's powerful! (although one time he beat everyone to a pulp and then jumped off a cliff... I guess he was too caught up in the moment).

I tried to fight him to see if I could beat the man himself, but he kept healing and using other powers (he's marvelously tolerant of you punching him in the face and saber throwing) and eventually it just stopped me and said "Mission Failed, you turned against your allies."

Awwww... ; P

Here is an updated list of NPC spawns, thanks for posting those guys!

Human_Merc
Kyle
Chewie
Weequay (bowcastor IIRC)
Rodian (sniper version)
Rodian2 (st rifle)
Gran (thermal detonators)
Gran2
Granshooter (st rifle)
Granboxer (fists)
Jawa (lol)
Luke (bug, crashes)
Trandoshan (Repeater, different colored outfits)
Reborn_New
Reborn_New2
Reborn_Staff
Reborn_Dual
Cultist (gun)
Cultist_Destroyer
Cultist_Drain
Cultist_Grip
Cultist_Lightning (untextured model)
Cultist_Saber
Cultist_Saber_Throw
Cultist_Saber_Med
Cultist_Saber_Strong
Cultist_Saber_All
Jedi_Random (various good guy helpers from the Academy!)
CultistCommando (very cool indeed)
R2D2
R5D2 (the red one)
Protocol (C3PO)
Luke (untextured, and his saber is invisible, except when he throw it, it becomes a weird tricolored line segment thingy)

Only this one didn't work:
Reborn_Twin
 obikin
09-06-2003, 11:45 PM
How do you spawn in kyle?
 ImmolatedYoda
09-07-2003, 12:03 AM
in console:

npc spawn kyle

Kurgan, you said that Luke crashed for you? when i did it earlier i got a luke that was all gray (like in SoF2 if you spawn a character not in the level by default). im assuming thats also what you meant by an untextured Cultist_Lightning. and i agree, the Jedi_Random and CultistCommando are fun. however, the Jedis dont seem to have sounds...on Chandrila they would fall off the cliffs and i wouldnt know because they didnt scream :(.
 Kurgan
09-07-2003, 12:20 AM
Yeah, I updated my post. The first time I tried Luke, it immediately crashed.

I tried it again and you're right, it works. ; )

Also something interesting appears in the console if you type:

npc spawn swoop

(no, it doesn't work, but its interesting...)
 snowman21
09-07-2003, 12:36 AM
thanks for organizing the list for us kurgan! now its all in one convieniant post. but there is one more.... reborn_new2
 ImmolatedYoda
09-07-2003, 12:50 AM
LOL Kurg, i just tried that command. yes, shame on me!! :p
 Kurgan
09-07-2003, 12:58 AM
Updated!

Yeah, you can pretty much try adding a 2 or 3 to any of those and see if there's another version of 'em.

I tried spawning in an ATST with the vehicle spawn code but it said the files were missing, so it didn't do anything. :*(
 Leo Soontar
09-07-2003, 2:05 AM
Here's something nice I found out. When using the dual saber press the saber style change key (default: L) and your Jedi will switch to a single saber, fast style. When using the saber staff press teh saber style change key and your Jedi will switch to a single saber, medium style.

In the full game, when playing with a single saber pressing saber style change key would change between the 3 styles (fast, medium, strong).
Page: 2 of 4