Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Why not Mark Hamil?

Page: 1 of 1
 Taran'atar
09-02-2003, 5:35 AM
I watched the second trailer of JA a little while ago. Luke gives a little intro, and it sounded like the same guy that did Lukes voice in Outcast. Why didn't they get the actor that played him to do Lukes voice? I know he's done voice work on a couple other, non-SW games. You'd think he'd be more open to reprising his best known role than he would be to doing the voice of Wolverine or something like that. Personally, I thought the guy in Outcast just didn't sound right.
 [My Name Here]
09-02-2003, 5:52 AM
He's probably really expensive and LucasArts didn't want to pay whatever he was asking for.
 OutThere
09-02-2003, 6:07 AM
It would be great if mark hammil voiced skywalker but it isn't gonna happen.
I think he was asking for to much money like [My Name Here] said.
 BuRn99
09-02-2003, 8:03 AM
they used him for soldier of fortune 2. of course him doing his own voice for a character he was in a movie might be a bit more expensive
 Sam
09-02-2003, 8:48 AM
Mark hammil is an all washed up bum now.......he should be jumping at any job he can get..........
 StormHammer
09-02-2003, 9:24 AM
Originally posted by $am
Mark hammil is an all washed up bum now.......he should be jumping at any job he can get..........

Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side. :vadar:

I don't think he's washed up at all - and it's entirely up to him about the work he takes on. He's probably sick of everyone remembering him for 'Skywalker', and wanting him to reprise a 20-year-old role. Sheesh, give the guy a break. :p :cool:

The 'replacement' sounds good enough to me, anyway. Sure, it would be nice to have Hamill, but his voice has changed in the same way that Billy Dee Williams' voice was noticeably different in JO.
 Azrael666
09-02-2003, 9:51 AM
Mark Hamill is doing great as a voice artist now. His take on the Joker is head and shoulders above any other.

And Mark did reprise his roll as Luke recently: In an episode of Family Guy performing laser eye surgery.
 Obi-Wan X
09-02-2003, 10:12 AM
I think this guy sounds good enough honestly, but it would be nice if we had Hamil.
 Darth]-[azard
09-02-2003, 10:29 AM
I think he is the Voice Actor for Luke in JA. At least that's what I heard. Personally, I think the replacement in JO did quite well.
 Pedro The Hutt
09-02-2003, 1:07 PM
Well the voice actor of Luke in JO, and possibly has had a bit of experience with the character. He (Bob Bergen) apparently also lend his voice to an in-game Luke Skywalker in: Battlegrounds, Rogue Leader and it's prequel Rogue Squadron , Force Commander, X-Wing Alliance, Masters of Tera Kasi , and Shadows of the Empire.

So I think he knows what he's doing.
 txa1265
09-02-2003, 1:18 PM
Originally posted by Azrael666
Mark Hamill is doing great as a voice artist now. His take on the Joker is head and shoulders above any other. Absolutely true ... my boys love 'Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker' and watched it on our return trip from vacation (video player in the minivan) ... of course I can't see it, but the voicings are menacing ...

I also liked him in SoFII, and other places I've heard him (can't think offhand).

I liked the Luke in JKII just fine - he was very much a light Jedi Master ... I hope he returns.

Mike
 Prime
09-02-2003, 4:28 PM
He's been working constantly since SW so I don't think he needs to "jump at any job that he can get". Check him out at IMDB.com. He is in high demand for voice work, and even has his own company. I saw a show on him a little while ago and he said that there is actually too much work coming in, and he has to turn stuff down. He still acts on occation, as well as theatre and production stuff. He seemed very happy with the way things are going, because he can participate in all sorts of aspects of the entertainment industry.

So his non-involvment with JA may be because he was too pricey, or because he simply had too many other projects on the go. As for not wanting be be associated with Luke Skywalker anymore, I don't think that is the case. Unlike Ford and Fisher, from what I have seen and read, he is much more open and happy about his association with Star Wars (not that Ford and Fisher are unhappy about being involved, but they seem to try and distance themselves a bit more, for various reasons). On the commentary for "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back", Kevin Smith mentioned that Hamill was more than willing to tell some great stories about making and being a part of Star Wars. He said that he was very open to poking fun at Luke and himself, and did not try to distance himself from it at all. In general, Smith said he was just a fun guy to have around. Contrast this to Fisher, who on the same picture had it in her contract that no Star Wars references could be made about her.

The funny thing is that to many people Hamill would have the most reason to be resentful of Star Wars, because they don't see him on the big screen anymore like Ford and to a lesser extent Fisher. But he seems to be the one that embraces it the most.
 Alegis
09-02-2003, 4:47 PM
The one for JA did a very good job and its kewl to see mark is busy
 Obi-Wan X
09-02-2003, 4:52 PM
I agree, the mans voice work is incredible, and he's on high demand for voice acting. He of course doesn't need to jump at every single job, but one would think he wouldn't mind coming in for JA. But i don't really mind as I stated before, the man who was Luke in JO did an incredible job. I wouldn't mind seeing either one of them return in JA. But I know its the same guy from JO.
 ImmolatedYoda
09-02-2003, 9:01 PM
worst thing in JO - Luke's falling death scream.
 Neverhoodian
09-02-2003, 9:37 PM
My guess is that Mark Hamill is tired of being known best as "That Skywalker guy." I mean, his career has never regained the fame he enjoyed as Luke, but that's because everyone can't help but think of him as nothing but Luke. He simply stayed the same character for too long. For example, when Harrison Ford was asked to be Indiana Jones, he agreed on the condition that Indy would be nothing like Han Solo. That's why Ford is still a major actor; he's not known as just "Han Solo." Mark, on the other hand, never got a lucky break that established a new character for him, hence the fact that you don't hear much about him anymore. That's not entirely his fault, (some movies just didn't work out) but nevertheless it hurt him bad.

Personally, I don't mind Bob Bergan voicing Luke. He's got Luke's voice down good. It would be nice if they got some of the original actors back to play the voices of the other famous cameos rumored to be in JA. (ala Billy Dee Williams in JO.)
 boinga1
09-02-2003, 10:53 PM
Sorry, but Harrison Ford will always be "Han Solo" to me. True, the "unshaven" look he has in Indy, along with the Fedora, make him look different, but even in the closeups, he looks so Han Solo it's almost funny.

And btw, I really don't care if it's Hamill or this guy Bob ( :p ), because I assume Luke really won't be with you much, just a little chatter between missions, maybe.
 yolkboy
09-02-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Neverhoodian
Personally, I don't mind Bob Bergan voicing Luke. He's got Luke's voice down good. It would be nice if they got some of the original actors back to play the voices of the other famous cameos rumored to be in JA. (ala Billy Dee Williams in JO.)
I agree, Bob Bergan sounded good. No complaints there. If LA pulled off having the famous cameos voiced by their actors, I'll be very impressed! :)
 Darth]-[azard
09-03-2003, 12:48 AM
Oddly enough I usually see Harrison as the guy in Clear and Present Danger.
 Assault3000
09-03-2003, 12:49 AM
I liked Bob's voice work, I mean he didn't sound exactly like Luke Skywalker, but you shouldn't expect him to.
 BloodRiot
09-03-2003, 12:56 AM
A bit of topic but not that much... i found the John Mullins voice in SoF2 very similar to Kyle's...is it the same guy?
 Sithxace
09-03-2003, 1:00 AM
lucasarts is owned by george lucas, if george lucas is dedicated to his companies like ive heard than he'll ask mark hamil to do it for a cheap price because there best pals and george lucas is who made mark hamil famous in the 1st place
 Blademaster_109
09-03-2003, 1:32 AM
Originally posted by Obi-Wan X
I agree, the mans voice work is incredible, and he's on high demand for voice acting. He of course doesn't need to jump at every single job, but one would think he wouldn't mind coming in for JA. But i don't really mind as I stated before, the man who was Luke in JO did an incredible job. I wouldn't mind seeing either one of them return in JA. But I know its the same guy from JO.

i agree, it works for me.
 Darth]-[azard
09-03-2003, 4:53 AM
Originally posted by BloodRiot
A bit of topic but not that much... i found the John Mullins voice in SoF2 very similar to Kyle's...is it the same guy?

I think they are the same voice actor, same with the Voice actor for Munro in EF2.
 Assault3000
09-03-2003, 11:24 AM
The voice actor for EF1 and 2 did Katarn in MotS, and as for Jeff Bennet (Katarn in Jedi Outcast) he also did voice work in numerous other Star Wars games: The main character in Force Commander (Sounds exactly like Kyle in JO), and believe it or not, the Clone Troopers and Jango Fett in Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns, which goes to show you he doesn't always have that gruff voice.
 YoYoshiYo
05-24-2004, 1:46 PM
Mark Hamill also does voice overs for Larry from timesquad on cartoon network, a slightly infeminate robot/droid whatever you want to call him and that show is still going on.

Hmmmm ...

A highly infeminate robot/droid ...

HMMMM ....

:c3po:
 Alegis
05-24-2004, 2:55 PM
Originally posted by ImmolatedYoda
worst thing in JO - Luke's falling death scream.
its good, but if you try it in french or german you'll rofl
 Shadow Hunter27
05-24-2004, 11:02 PM
yeah the scream when he knows Vader is his father is horrible, he looks terrible in that scene too, but that is just my opinion

ps i would of thought that he would have wanted to play him, and could do it for cheap:confused: oh i dont know:(
 acdcfanbill
05-27-2004, 7:08 AM
thread ressurection! can be a scary thing :p
 Prime
05-27-2004, 12:53 PM
I thought I'd fallen into a time warp...
 kusanagi
05-27-2004, 9:44 PM
My guess is that Mark Hamill is tired of being known best as "That Skywalker guy." I mean, his career has never regained the fame he enjoyed as Luke, but that's because everyone can't help but think of him as nothing but Luke. He simply stayed the same character for too long. For example, when Harrison Ford was asked to be Indiana Jones, he agreed on the condition that Indy would be nothing like Han Solo. That's why Ford is still a major actor; he's not known as just "Han Solo." Mark, on the other hand, never got a lucky break that established a new character for him, hence the fact that you don't hear much about him anymore. That's not entirely his fault, (some movies just didn't work out) but nevertheless it hurt him bad.

I've thought Hamill had some bad accident that caused him to work in behind the scene stuff and he just stayed working in that field afterwards?

And yea Bob did a pretty good job in JA and JO, mayb even better Hamill himself if he sounded anything like he was in Jay n Silent Bob strikes Back. :D
 Amidala from Chop Shop
05-27-2004, 11:43 PM
Speaking of voice actors:

The same actress (Jennifer Hale) did both the female Jaden voice in JA and Bastila in KOTOR.

And James Earl Jones was paid $7000 to do the voice of Darth Vader in the first Star Wars movie (Episode IV: A New Hope, whatever). I heard him say in an interview that he thought he was well-paid at the time because it only took him a few hours to do the voice dubbing.
 GothiX
05-28-2004, 4:08 AM
Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop
The same actress (Jennifer Hale) did both the female Jaden voice in JA and Bastila in KOTOR.

The female Jaden voice acting in JA was, in my opinion, really good, especially compared to the male ones.. *shiver*
 Prime
05-29-2004, 2:39 PM
Originally posted by GothiX
The female Jaden voice acting in JA was, in my opinion, really good, especially compared to the male ones.. *shiver* True dat.
Page: 1 of 1