Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Some things I never got about SW but are fun to wonder about...

Page: 1 of 1
 Kurgan
08-28-2003, 12:34 PM
And yes, yes, yes, yes, before I start, I want you to know I REALIZE that the "Expanded Universe" has at various times tried to come up with solutions to some of these, but I don't want to hear those reasons, I want to hear YOUR reasons.

1) In Empire Strikes Back.. how come Han, Leia, and Chewie can walk outside the Falcon in apparent earth-like gravity (and only need simple breathmasks, not full space suites) inside the belly of that space slug on an asteroid (while hiding from the Empire)?

2) If the hyperdrive is broken in ESB ("no lightspeed") how can they fly all the way to Bespin in ESB? Wouldn't the trip take them years? Decades? Or is Bespin right smack dab next to where they were when the Hyperdrive broke down?

3) In ANH and ROTJ, I'm just floored by the sheer size of the Death Stars. I mean dang, it must have been hell trying to build them. According to the official literature, the first Death Star "only" had a million personal. That's amazing. I wonder if they had billions of droids working there too? That is some serious automation...

According to the official literature, the first DS was 120 km and the second was 160. Of course Curtis Saxon's "Star Wars Technical Commentaries" and a few other fan based sites present credible arguments that they are much bigger. Apparently the people who built the props and designs for ROTJ intended the second DS to be about "500 miles long." Whoa...

Anyway, their figures run about 160 km for the first DS and 800 or 900 (!) for the second. They also put the "Executor" (SSD) at 17.6 Km, whereas the old official literature put it at only 8 km. Anyway, that's more speculation. Any way you slice it, the DS is simply HUGE.. really really big. A toy death star 1/12 the size would still be the largest and most ambitious structure ever built by man (if we could build it on earth at all).

Is most of the Death Star empty space? Because I can see two major problems with moon sized battle stations (even after you work out all the problems building them and preventing them from falling apart or getting destroyed):

- Supplies. Do they grow crops in there? Where do they get fuel? The Death Star would be like a medium or large sized city-state. Are there any women on board?

- Distances. If Tarkin wants to meet with Vader in his office, does it take him months to get there? How do people travel on the DS? Do they fly bullet trains through the superstructure? Those elevators can't be fast enough to travel anywhere on the station in record time. Are parts sectioned off so that troops never see each other? I can see people communicating over radio and video displays, but just imagine you're living on the moon and you have to get from the North Pole to the South pole... do people just fly outside, around, and land with Shuttles?

The same thing to a lesser degree applies to other large ships like Super Star Destroyers.

4) In TPM, why doesn't anybody buy Shmi Skywalker's freedom? I mean while Qui Gon and Obi-Wan are on Naboo they lack money to do everything they want, and since they're "good guys" and "the Republic doesn't have juridiction out here" (the Jedi are law enforcement for the Republic after all, of which Tatooine is not a part) they can't just threaten everyone into doing their bidding (although Qui Gon did try to mind trick Watto, so he didn't see that as being unethical apparently). Their job wasn't to free slaves, but to get out of there. They had Republic credits which weren't honored on Tatooine.

But.... time passes. They have all the funds of the Jedi Order and the Republic (you'd think the Republic would fund their work after all), and Anakin is a Jedi himself (so he could claim some "special right" to free his mother, right)? All the previous problems disapear.

They can go to Tatooine in a big Jedi ship and a pile of money that the Tatooinese DO accept (or at least precious substances to trade with), and free Anakin's mother.

But they don't. Why not????

5) In AOTC the battle craft with Anakin, Obi-Wan, Padme, etc are flying after Count Dooku's Speeder Bike. "It's Dooku!" "Shoot him down!" "We're all out of rockets sir!"

Okay, several problems here. I KNOW in the novel it says "all out of ordinance" but c'mon. So what if they don't have rockets? The airships have those ball turrets and laser cannons. They could even have a clone lean out and take a shot with his rifle out the side (dangerous, but if its that danged important, why not risk a guy or two to "end the war right now"??

In addition, many flub spotters have pointed out that you can SEE they still have rockets. Sure, you could say well maybe their instruments were damaged, and the Clone pilot was just reporting what it said. But couldn't the Jedi double check somehow? They have the force dang it. One person I know suggested that Dooku was mind tricking the Pilot to read his instruments wrong (but of course that implies he could fool the Jedi as well). But if he's that powerful, why doesn't he just mind trick them into crashing the ship and killing his pursuers?

6) In AOTC after the series of duels is over, Yoda is "distracted" by Dooku with the big huge metal column that's being levitated over Anakin & Obi-Wan. Yoda has to expend all his attention to keep it alfoat and move it away from them to crash harmlessly to the ground. Meanwhile Dooku escapes, and millions more people are undoubtably doomed to die in the continuing war.

Why didn't Yoda drop the column ON DOOKU'S SHIP? He could have still saved his two friends AND ended the war. In the novel he was about to KILL Dooku so why should he have any qualms about it now? And that colum can't be much heavier than an X-Wing, and he does some amazing stuff with that 27 years later...

7) In AOTC why does Padme leave friggin' JAR JAR in charge when she goes to save Obi-Wan? I mean sure, we could say she's a naive young girl going with her hearthrob boyfriend on a teenage adventure, but seriously.. she's supposed to be this world-weary Senator, and there's this IMPORTANT VOTE COMING UP that she is adamant about (note her impassioned speech before the Senate in the deleted scenes on the DVD). Is she that stupid and forgetful?

Obviously Jar Jar must have been mind tricked, or was he that stupid? As Padme's substitute, he must have been trained and at least KNOW HOW PADME WOULD HAVE VOTED, right? RIGHT?? It was a cool scene, but both characters suddenly becoming stupid was very odd.

That's all for now. You might call me an obsessed fan, but c'mon, I'm in good company. ; )
 rad-x
08-28-2003, 2:22 PM
1) Who cares! If you hadn't noticed that fire is immediately extinguished in space because there is NO air, then do so now - Every EXPLOSION IS IMPOSSIBLE! It might also be noted that there is no way to speed up or slow down an object in space either. My point is, that Star Wars is Star Wars, it isn't Star Science.
 Lynk Former
08-28-2003, 2:25 PM
:rofl: Kurgan i love you lol. It's sooo true XD

@ rad: yeah but it's funny to think about those sorts of things. Cause when you read what Kurgan just wrote there some of it is pretty damn rediculous
 JediNyt
08-29-2003, 2:38 AM
4) The politics wouldnt allow it. Think about it. Returning to Corruscant and dismissing all other pressing matters that would get in the way, finding a bunch of druguts and using Republic and Jedi resources and money to fly off on a sentimental quest to some rock thats farthest from the bright side of the universe to free some kids mom who serves no purpose to the Republic. Now of course it would be the decent thing to do but like I said, POLITICS. Wasting so many resources for one slave? They wouldnt have it.

In response to all the other questions, they are good questions but after all it's a moooovie! :D
 Jan Gaarni
08-29-2003, 8:05 AM
Obviously Jar Jar must have been mind tricked, or was he that stupid?
He's that stupid. :D :D :D
 benTantilles
08-30-2003, 2:40 PM
1) In Empire Strikes Back.. how come Han, Leia, and Chewie can walk outside the Falcon in apparent earth-like gravity (and only need simple breathmasks, not full space suites) inside the belly of that space slug on an asteroid (while hiding from the Empire)?
my guess is that the millenium falcon's sensors detected that the atmosphere in the slug was of survivable pressure & temperature... hence, space suits were not needed. breathing masks were, however, probably because the composition of the air wasn't breathable. it's the inside of a slug, after all....

2) If the hyperdrive is broken in ESB ("no lightspeed") how can they fly all the way to Bespin in ESB? Wouldn't the trip take them years? Decades? Or is Bespin right smack dab next to where they were when the Hyperdrive broke down?
there's no way they could've gotten to bespin on sublight...they must've gotten the hyperdrive fixed.

Do they grow crops in there?
what do YOU think?!
Where do they get fuel?
from the many fuel-producing planets of the empire. it's a big galaxy....
Are there any women on board?
should be. while the empire WAS discriminatory against women, there were still females present in the empire (albeit in small numbers). and the laws of probabality would dictate that a ship as large as the death star have at least ONE imperial lady on it. and then there's princess leia.... not a member of the crew, perhaps, but she WAS present on the death star for most of the time it was operational....

4) But.... time passes. They have all the funds of the Jedi Order and the Republic (you'd think the Republic would fund their work after all), and Anakin is a Jedi himself (so he could claim some "special right" to free his mother, right)? All the previous problems disapear.
like Nyt said, there were other pressing issues...like the separatists....

They could even have a clone lean out and take a shot with his rifle out the side
dude, not only is that dangerous, it's also damn near impossible to hit a craft moving @ a few hundred kph--let alone the pilot--from another craft of the same speed, even if you DO have jango's marksman skills....

The airships have those ball turrets and laser cannons.
out of range, perhaps. rockets have a greater effective range than lasers and maybe dooku's ship was too far to be hit by lasers.

then again...maybe the gunship WAS out of ordinance--both lasers (they can run out too, ya know...and their recharging takes some time) and missiles. thus, the statement in the movie would be a blooper not to be considered as a star wars fact. perhaps.

thank God for the Eu & other canon sources, eh? *retreats before the impending onslaught*

Why didn't Yoda drop the column ON DOOKU'S SHIP?
perhaps he felt reluctance at killing his former padawan...he's not perfect, ya know. or maybe it was against the jedi principles--or HIS principles-- to take such offensive action.

In AOTC why does Padme leave friggin' JAR JAR in charge when she goes to save Obi-Wan? I mean sure, we could say she's a naive young girl going with her hearthrob boyfriend on a teenage adventure, but seriously.. she's supposed to be this world-weary Senator, and there's this IMPORTANT VOTE COMING UP that she is adamant about (note her impassioned speech before the Senate in the deleted scenes on the DVD). Is she that stupid and forgetful?

she must've been so caught up with the flow of events that she forgot to factor jar jar's incompetence into the equation (yeah, i know, it'd be REAL hard to forget something that apparent). perhaps it was a deliberate move on george lucas's part--to potray the magnitude of padme's sacrifice in going off to save obi1 by leaving some1 like jar jar in charge.

Obviously Jar Jar must have been mind tricked, or was he that stupid? both , me thinx. he was stupid enough to have been mind-tricked. perhaps his mind wasn't controlled per se by the emperor but it almost assuredly was influenced by the dark side...i mean, the Force. there is no dark side... (boy am i gonna get it...)

Every EXPLOSION IS IMPOSSIBLE!
actually, given that most ships have self-contained environments, the explosions were probably fuelled by the air INSIDe the ships. of course, they wouldn't last very long,..which is why sw explosions are so short-lived.

TIE fighters, though, with their airless cockpits, are a different matter...perhaps their explosions are fuelled by something in their ion engines or some other technical component (which could also explain why their explosions are green).

there is no way to speed up or slow down an object in space either.
i think you're wrong there, dude... with the application of a force (note: A force, not the Force), an acceleration/decceleration can be obtained (f=ma. got mass, got force=got acceleration). thus, a ship can be slowed down or sped up with propulsion from, say, an engine. we've started this whole motion-affiliated star wars debate in the x-wing alliance forums...u can check it out if u want. it's under the thread 'if there were another x-wing' created by some intelligent, good-looking, incredibly witty bastard named benTantilles....

that Star Wars is Star Wars, it isn't Star Science
now THAT i'll agree to... :D

that's all folks! u sure have raised some interesting questions, kurgan...
 benTantilles
09-01-2003, 7:29 AM
hmmm.....strange....my previous reply wasn't noted... after it was posted, the number of replies to this thread was still listed as 4 and jan was still the last poster of the Classic trilogy forum... can u all read the post? or this one, for that matter?
 pleto4_ryan
09-02-2003, 7:17 AM
no worry, we can read it and it is interesting ;)
 Admiral Vostok
09-04-2003, 12:54 AM
1) There is a good reason for this when you start reading a lot of academic writing on science fiction as I have (and yes, I realise I'm going to come under attack from being too technical :p ). The important part of Star Wars (at least the Classic Trilogy) is that it is a Space Opera - a fantasy story that just happens to be set in space. Once you put someone in a Spacesuit, it foregrounds the fact that this is an alien environment and this gets in the way of the narrative - the audience might focus on the wonder of science instead. It's a lot more complicated than that but let me just say there are good reasons they don't wear spacesuits.

2) The general theory around this is that it does take them a long time. Don't forget Luke is training with Yoda - his ability to put up a decent fight with Vader indicates he spent more than a couple of days with Yoda, most likely many months. As such, it seems reasonable the Falcon also took a few months. Of course realistically it would take them many years, the next nearest system to Earth is like ten light years away...

5) This is probably just a continuity error, but if you want to read into it (as I do) maybe the Clones were secrectly under orders to not kill Dooku. I mean, he did have a hand in their construction (remember Jango says he was recruited by a man named Tyranus). Of course the Jedi would be unaware of this, but the Clones might have been instructed as per Sidious' instructions to not kill Dooku or himself...
 CCKieran
09-06-2003, 12:28 PM
2) [Broken Hyperdrive]
In TPM, the hyperdrive got broken so that they could only jump a short distance, maybe this was similar but more severe.

she must've been so caught up with the flow of events that she forgot to factor jar jar's incompetence into the equation (yeah, i know, it'd be REAL hard to forget something that apparent). perhaps it was a deliberate move on george lucas's part--to potray the magnitude of padme's sacrifice in going off to save obi1 by leaving some1 like jar jar in charge

Maybe it was lucas's way of saying sorry for inventing Jar Jar. Now we can twist logic around to make the fall of the republic and the Jedi as the Gungans fault :P

Seriously, is there anyone out there who actually LIKES Gungans?

I got something I was wondering though. I saw on a site (can't remember where) a while ago something about the speeder bike chases on Endor (got another one for this too). It said that with average forest density, and the speed the bikes were travelling at, factoring in human reaction times it would be impossible for anyone to ride without crashing. So, anyone got any ideas on how they did it?

Whoever says "Luke and Leia had force enhanced reflexes gets my "Stating the Obvious" award."

Endor, by the way, is Elvish for "Earth" or "The world", from The Lord of the Rings.
 Jan Gaarni
09-07-2003, 9:13 AM
Originally posted by CCKieran
Seriously, is there anyone out there who actually LIKES Gungans?
I have no problem with the Gungans, but Jar Jar should be shot, multiple times.
Originally poster by CCKieran
Whoever says "Luke and Leia had force enhanced reflexes gets my "Stating the Obvious" award."
Luke and Leia had Force enhanced reflexes. :D
Originally posted by CCKieran
Endor, by the way, is Elvish for "Earth" or "The world", from The Lord of the Rings.
Yes, and Tatooine is a real place on earth, only spelled differently. :) Very close to where the Tatooine scenes were shot actually.
And Hoth was a German Field Marshall during WWII. ;)

There are tons of other things too, these are just those I remember.
 benTantilles
09-07-2003, 11:09 AM
actually, i believe tolkien got that from the ole' good book itself. yes, there is mention of a witch from endor somewhere in the old testament....and i DO believe the bible predates the lord of the rings....

i actually think the gungans are a pretty interesting race.... i don't really have much of a problem with jar jar. *looks apprehnesively from left to right* what? WHAT?
 Fжril
09-07-2003, 5:16 PM
what i wondered about star wars is what keeps the lightsabers from going right through their handles?

why did they cast hayden christianson as anakin?

and why did obi-wan disappear after he was killed and qui-gonn had to be burned up?
 benTantilles
09-08-2003, 10:24 AM
what i wondered about star wars is what keeps the lightsabers from going right through their handles?
or, for that matter, how do they limit the length of a beam of light? really...i have no friggin idea how a lightsabre works so i'm stumped there.... i think there was an explanation over at the XWA forums... hey zoomie, where are u?

and george is due to answer your other questions soon....
 CCKieran
09-12-2003, 2:36 AM
Maybe something about total internal reflection within the crystals. Or maybe I just like physics too much.
For those who don't know, total internal reflection is what happens when light passes from a more dense medium to a less dense one, and the light is refracted so much that it bends around and stays inside the glass. One of the main applications of this is fibre optic cables.
I suppose the light could be reflected back inside the crystal and out the front of the saber.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/fiber-optic6.htm)

I couldn't find the explanation in the XWA forums, which category is it in?
 jedispy
09-12-2003, 3:25 AM
Well I can understand how it works That's not hard at all. The answer is the same reason why light only comes out of one point of a flashlight. As for how do they keep the beam from shooting outward endlessly, you could also ask how does a lightsaber stop another lightsaber. I think the answer is that a lightsaber is **not a saber of light. It is a weapon that contructs an indestuctable field, similar to a force field, however far more powerful. A lightsaber may emit visible light, but that is the extent of the light portion. Instead the "blade" of the saber must be composed of something we have not yet discovered. I propose the following possibilities:

1. Contained Plasma. Lightsaber blades can be plasma that is contained in a magnetic field. All matter can pass through the magnetic field, thus allowing the blade to "cut" or burn through most matter. What causes one lightsaber to stop another lightsaber is the existence of another field of the same intensity and polarity (like how positive sides of magnets repel one another.)

2. Energy to Matter conversion. Lightsaber blades can be a conversion from matter into energy, and energy into matter. The intense energy emitted from a lightsaber could be converted into a blade (or any other shape at that. However "blades" require less energy consumption) that is solid enough to have composition, yet "hot" enough to still "cut" or burn through most matter. The only thing that can stop this another energy to matter blade.

why did they cast hayden christianson as anakin?
Because if they had cast Leonardo DiCaprio as the original rumor went, then none of us would be here. We would have all forsaken the name Star Wars, and this forum would be about how we all saw T'Pol's t*t on Enterprise this week. (Which by the way really did happen!!)

and why did obi-wan disappear after he was killed and qui-gonn had to be burned up?

Look at it this way. Kenobi disappeared in body, and materialized to Luke in spirit from time to time. Qui Gonn did not disappear in body, and never appeared to Kenobi. Yoda disappeared in body, and appeared to Luke in the end of ROTJ.

It can be argued that in order for a Jedi do the whole ghost thing, they have to make their bodies completely disappear.

What about Anakin? He didn't disappear when he died, and he appeared to Luke on Endor....right?
Well we are not entirely sure of this. What we saw burning on Endor was as far as we can tell the cybernetic corpse of Darth Vader. Remember that he is more machine than man, so there would be no reason for his cybernetics to disappear. Maybe the parts that were still organic disappeared. Besides, Anakin was the chosen one. maybe he didn't need to disappear because he was more powerful.

Jedispy
 TiBo
09-13-2003, 6:12 PM
It might have been adressed already, but i think the reason the clones did not shoot down dooku is because palpatine told them to keep him alive, since he was his apprentice and dooku was imperative in palpatine's plans.
 Jaden Quade
10-01-2003, 11:24 PM

isn't there a 'cortosis' lining on the inside of the handle that only propels the beam in one direction? Not sure....

PS: Cortosis is one of the only substances that resists lightsabre blades...

I hope that helps at all... cough
 ZBomber
10-01-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by jedispy
Look at it this way. Kenobi disappeared in body, and materialized to Luke in spirit from time to time. Qui Gonn did not disappear in body, and never appeared to Kenobi. Yoda disappeared in body, and appeared to Luke in the end of ROTJ.

Vader was burned and appeared to luke at the end of ROTJ (Well, Anakin, but they are the same body.)
 darth small
10-05-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by benTantilles
actually, i believe tolkien got that from the ole' good book itself. yes, there is mention of a witch from endor somewhere in the old testament....and i DO believe the bible predates the lord of the rings....

i actually think the gungans are a pretty interesting race.... i don't really have much of a problem with jar jar. *looks apprehnesively from left to right* what? WHAT?

It was in kings ( i forget the chapter and verse) Endor was a area in Ancient Israel somewhere near shiloh ( where the ark was keep before the temple was built). When david was in exile King Saul and his eldest son Jonathan ( Davids best friend) went to visit a witch who lived in a cave at Endor before going to battle the Philistines. he asked the witch to summon the spirit of Samuel (who in jewish tradition ranks after moses and elijah in importance as a prophet) Samuel's spirit told them that they would both die in the battle. this cleared the way for david to reluctantly accept the kingship( he mourned the loss of jonathan )
 Pedro The Hutt
10-05-2003, 1:50 PM
On the getting to Bespin thing, for all we know they could've taken a day or two, perhaps more to get there , which easily explains how the Empire could've gotten there before them, they had a hyperdrive, the Falcon didn't ^.^ So Boba reported to the imps that they were on a trajectory towards Bespin and so they jumped there, had a nice chat with Lando, infested the place with stormtroopers, and waited nicely for Han & company to arrive.
It also helps explain how Luke was able to learn what he did, he spent several days on Dagobah.

Why Hayden was cast? He did an as good as possible job portraying Anakin with the "help" of Lucas' directing.

The disappearing matter, well, it's been said that a Jedi needs to accept his death if he wants to "become one with the Force", ofcourse, Qui-Gon, defiant as he was in his nature seemed to want to struggle against it untill his very final breath was drawn, or at least long enough to tell Obi-Wan that he should train Anakin.
Speaking of which, he probably faded away, becoming one with the Force a few moments after he died, similar to what happened with Yoda, ofcourse that was never shot (probably lack of special effects technology) and we just have to assume that he disappeared XD
 Jedi_Monk
10-09-2003, 1:05 AM
The disappearing matter, well, it's been said that a Jedi needs to accept his death if he wants to "become one with the Force", ofcourse, Qui-Gon, defiant as he was in his nature seemed to want to struggle against it untill his very final breath was drawn, or at least long enough to tell Obi-Wan that he should train Anakin.
If that's the reason then Yoda wouldn't have vanished either. Yoda was struggling until his final breath, as well, so that he could tell Luke that there was "an-other... sky...walk...er."
 Admiral Vostok
10-23-2003, 4:24 AM
George Lucas has assured us that the question of why Qui-Gon didn't disappear will be answered in Episode 3, so let's put our faith in him as we quite naturally should.
 benTantilles
10-23-2003, 10:52 AM
It might have been adressed already, but i think the reason the clones did not shoot down dooku is because palpatine told them to keep him alive, since he was his apprentice and dooku was imperative in palpatine's plans.
that's actually a pretty good reason....i 've heard a SPOILER that the emperor had special codes inserted on ALL his clones so that he could exert some level of control over them. that's how most of the jedi die, in fact (or so i've heard).

Why Hayden was cast? He did an as good as possible job portraying Anakin with the "help" of Lucas' directing.
ha! agreed....

darth small--
yeah, thanx for that explanation on the origin of endor.

George Lucas has assured us that the question of why Qui-Gon didn't disappear will be answered in Episode 3, so let's put our faith in him as we quite naturally should
no jokes, please.....as bad as he is as a director, he's a BLOODY good storyteller. star wars is, after all, his creation..
 CCKieran
10-30-2003, 3:18 AM
Been away for a while, just catching up....

no jokes, please.....as bad as he is as a director, he's a BLOODY good storyteller. star wars is, after all, his creation.. "BenTantilles"

Yes sir!

Why Hayden was cast? He did an as good as possible job portraying Anakin with the "help" of Lucas' directing. "Pedro The Hutt"

Yep, he got me thinkin what a whiny little b**tch. How on earth did he go from that to a Sith Lord capable of annihilating anyone or anything in his way? I guess it'll have to wait for ep3.

isn't there a 'cortosis' lining on the inside of the handle that only propels the beam in one direction? Not sure.... "Jaden Korr"-err- I mean "Jaden Quade"

I thought that cutting into cortosis shorted out the lightsaber, and to get it running again you had to shut it off and power it up again. Someone who's read "The Hand of Thrawn" duology recently, let us know.

1. Contained Plasma. Lightsaber blades can be plasma that is contained in a magnetic field. All matter can pass through the magnetic field, thus allowing the blade to "cut" or burn through most matter. What causes one lightsaber to stop another lightsaber is the existence of another field of the same intensity and polarity (like how positive sides of magnets repel one another.) "jedispy"

Plasma I think is made of matter, seperated into constituent atoms, as opposed to gases with whole molecules, or energy.

For lightsabers, I like the idea that they are some kind of destructive energy, somehow contained within a blade. That's specific enough.
 shukrallah
11-03-2003, 1:17 AM
Are there any women on board?

Kurgan, ever notice there arent too many women in star wars? Lets list em' (non EU)

Padme
Leia
That fat woman in Jabba's Palace
The dancer in Jabba's Palace
The 2-3 singers in Jabba's Palace
A naboo fighter pilote in TPM
Padme's "servents"
The new queen in AOTC
Anakins mom
Aunt Beru
A few woman in courascant
Zam Wessel (think thats the name)
Members of Padmes family
Some senaters
That securla jedi.... i dont remember the full name... and other jedi various jedi on the counsel.
That woman hutt in TPM
mon mothma
the fake senater that died in AOTC
*might* have been a few on bespin in ESB

i think thats about it... most of them were added in the new movies, i guess lucas relised he only had maybe 10 woman in the old movies........ I guess the Empire didnt like woman, because the empire ruled most of the galaxy in the OT and there arent that many woman... unless they were alian or slaves in jabba's palace.

Am i right... or am i stupid and missed half of the women in the movies????

That cant be right! At the end of AOTC they were shooting (with padme) at dooku's ship... if a few of those shots hit just right it could have taken that ship down, and killed dooku.

EDIT: Something i never understood, think about this...:

No other star wars movies are released, except ANH, no one knows nothing about star wars. It starts, and declares the Empire "evil" Then you see a star destroyer shooting down a rebel ship to obtain plans that the rebels STOLE from the empire.... so who looks like the bad guy? So what if the leader is wearing a big black life support system? Its never really clear what the Empire did wrong.... besides being a dictatorship, which isnt even mentioned at that point. How do we knopw the Rebels were not responsible for the empires rath against them? I dont know... maybe this is stupid.
 CCKieran
11-03-2003, 4:41 AM
Am i right... or am i stupid and missed half of the women in the movies????

Wow, so just because there weren't many women in the movie, we can discount the roles they played? Without

That cant be right! At the end of AOTC they were shooting (with padme) at dooku's ship... if a few of those shots hit just right it could have taken that ship down, and killed dooku.

Doubt that. It would have been very unlikely that they hit, and even less likely that a hit would take it down. How much do you know about SW lukeskywalker1? And have you looked at any EU?
Ship armour is pretty tough...

I dont know... maybe this is stupid.

And the whole maybe the empire are the good guys thing... I'll post about this later.
 Jan Gaarni
11-03-2003, 1:47 PM
Doubt that. It would have been very unlikely that they hit, and even less likely that a hit would take it down. How much do you know about SW lukeskywalker1? And have you looked at any EU?

What ship are you 2 discussing? :confused:

As far as I can remember, Dooku was riding a bike thingy at the time. Even a strafing shot would have caused him to go down.
 benTantilles
11-04-2003, 12:15 PM
Ship armour is pretty tough....

not dooku's ship. like jan said, he was piloting that bike of his which didn't look particularly durable. furthermore, he was
exposed to enemy fire.

and luke...sure, a straying shot might've hit dooku. but palpatine must've placed faith in dooku's ability to evade shots that
weren't even intended to HIT him. had dooku been hit by 1 of these shots, then, well, perhaps he didn't deserve to be
palpatine's apperentice.

It starts, and declares the Empire "evil" Then you see a star destroyer shooting down a rebel ship to obtain plans that the rebels STOLE from the empire.... so who looks like the bad guy? So what if the leader is wearing a big black life support system? Its never really clear what the Empire did wrong.... besides being a dictatorship, which isnt even mentioned at that point. How do we knopw the Rebels were not responsible for the empires rath against them? I dont know... maybe this is stupid
surely u don't expect an entire list of the empire's crimes to be presented at the start of the movie, do you? no, they
established that it was evil in the prologue. the fearsome stormtrooper costumes, darth vader and his ruthless murder
of Captain Antilles (as well as john williams' fear-inspiring music) were all acts which painted the empire as evil. as time wore
on, the extent of the empire's ruthlessness was made known with things such as the murder of luke's stepparents, the
destruction of alderaan and even little things like grand moff tarkin's meeting with the brass ("FEAR will keep the local
systems in line")

and there're actually a fair deal of women in the star wars universe. sure, the first movie doesn't have that many, but that's
mainly because its chief settings were tatooine (luke's homestead was an insolated area. and mos eisley had women....
but they probably looked somewhat like men. not exactly a vacation spot....), the death star (the empire's gender bias
dictates that few women serve in their ranks, and even fewer on their most important battle station) and yavin IV (no excuse
for not having women there.... then again, pilots are mostly male).
in ESB, lotsa women were shown. There were the controllers on Hoth and the citizens of Bespin...that's about it, but then,
not many locations were shown.
in ROTJ, plenty of women are shown, too. There're those in jabba's palace and those in the Home One, the mon cal cruiser.
They, too, were the 2 chief locations.

And in the prequels....well, i won't go into it, but take my word for it---there're a lot of women there, too. jedi, senators,
citizens...too many to take note of.
 shukrallah
11-08-2003, 5:18 PM
Wow, so just because there weren't many women in the movie, we can discount the roles they played? Without

i was just saying thare arent a large ammount of woman, because of kurgans post up top (about woman in the deathstar)

How much do you know about SW lukeskywalker1? And have you looked at any EU?

I know a decent ammount, i dont study it... but i know a lot..

The main EU i know of is what happens in the video games.. (notice i said non EU) Ive read maybe 5 books... and know some stuff here and there.

oh BTW, stormtrooper costumes doesnt mean the empire is evil. I realise it said that the empire was evil in the text thing, but still. I was mainly talking about the first few minutes... how do we know the empire wasnt getting revenge on the rebels (after all, the rebels stole there plans)
 Tyrion
11-08-2003, 6:25 PM
Another thing that doesnt seem right, is that you can hear sound in space.

For instance, the sonic charges Obi carried. Technically, it'd just go silent through the boom. Not silent then a big boom sound. Since space is a vaccum, and has no medium for sound to travel through.

1) Because the space slug has an unusual tendancy to create a massive center of gravity.

2) Easy. They just went to a custom Light-Flight(tm) space port, and then traveled to Bespin. They disguised themselves as Borris, Norris, Bullwinkle, and Rocky.

3) I imagine teleports. Lots and lots of teleporters.

4) Because Shimi was doomed to die from the beginning. See, she lived her previous life as a Mandalorian assassin, and had too much bad karma to keep on dying repeatedly the next few millenia. She was last an Ewok that became dinner for three wampaas. Dont ask.

5) It cant be because the stormtroopers are weak willed. After all, they're clones of Jango Fett. The computer malfunctioned.

More importantly, they didnt they just nuke the hell outta the stadium right then and there? I mean, two Jedi's and an ambassador arent that important when they could end the war right then. Hell, they risked thier lives after anyway.

6) Again, which is more important? Two jedis, or millions of lives? I think Yoda isnt as wise as we make him out to be. Besides, if Yoda DID let Anakin and Obi die, that'd save alot more lives from Anakin becoming Darth Vader. 'course, if Palpatine was able to somehow gain the power he would have in the old trilogy, then they'd all be screwed.

7) She was forced to. Nute Gunray said that if a gungan politician wasnt elected in 10 years, then he'd declare full scale war on Naboo. Jar-Jar was the closest gungan at that time, so...
 lukeiamyourdad
11-08-2003, 7:53 PM
Just one point. If the movie was too close to reality(in other word, no sound in space) it would be really boring...
 Celluzion
11-09-2003, 10:52 AM
1) I succint that the belly of the slug has gravitational pull, I have no idea how, but if it didn't it wouldn't have been able to reach out and snap at the Millenium Falcon and retreat back, or even stay in that cave without floating out.

2) It could have taken them Earth-Weeks or even months to have reached Bespin, because there is no way Luke could have learnt what he learnt in such a short period of time. Eg. Duel without cutting himself, he'd have had some experience in duelling and a stronger control of the force; use the force to jump that high when he was pushed into the carbonite chamber.

3) The Death Star is a mystery to me, just take it into account they have advanced technology, heck, if they can freeze people in a shell and travel at lightspeed, Death Stars shouldn't be a problem.

However, I think they got around the Death Star in some sort of bullet train transport, just like in Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Oucast, where on the Doomgiver, there was a transport system in one of the areas there.

Same thing applies to the Super Star Destroyers.

4) I do not think the Jedi Council would have approved of Anakin freeing his mother, remember, Jedi are brought to the Jedi Academys at a very young age. Love for their mother would have brought certain disruptions in the training, and would be an obstacle in their training.

And more pressing matters were at hand.

5) Count Dooku, A.K.A Darth Tyranus\ Darth Sidious, had something to do with the creation of the Clone Army and could have had told the Cloners to program something inside the Clones which could recognize Tyranus\Sidious and not kill them.

It is possible that the damage sustained by the ship could have disrupted its systems, giving out an incorrect read-out.

And they did not use the lasers because if you remember correctly, the ball-things were situated at the side of the cockpit, shooting the lasers at a target directly in front could damage the ship itself.

6) Crap, my previous point was unrelevant. Yoda probably did not drop the column on the ship because of fear it would explode in the hangar itself and in result killing Yoda himself and the two Jedi.

7) Padme is young and naive. Nuff' said.
 Admiral Vostok
12-01-2003, 12:33 AM
How much do you know about SW lukeskywalker1? And have you looked at any EU?
Knowledge of EU does not give you knowledge of Star Wars. It gives you different theories and viewpoints, but the movies are ll you need to know about Star Wars.

As for women in Star Wars, it's true there are a number of minor female characters, but they are extremely minor. I speak here particularly of the Classic Trilogy, not the Prequels, where the female situation has been somewhat addressed. But in terms of name-able or at least significant characters, I'd say the count in the Classic Trilogy is this:
:atat: Leia
:atat: Mon Mothma
:atat: Oola (Twi-lek dancer)
:atat: Toryn Farr (Chick who announces the Ion Cannon)
:atat: other Jabba's dancers

Other females are just background and not memorable. I define his be going to a non-Star Wars fan and saying "you know that chick who says 'Many Bothans died to bring us this information'" and they know who you're talking about. You aren't going to have as much success trying to get someone to remember the those twin chicks at the Cantina. To this end my friends and I have often joked that Luke didn't have to hard a time guessing Leia's identity:
Obi-Wan: That is why your sister remains safely anonomous.
Luke: Mon Mothma! Mon Mothma's my sister!
Obi-Wan: Er... no. Try harder.
Luke: Umm... Oola's my sister?
Obi-Wan: Your insight does not serve you well.
 shukrallah
12-04-2003, 12:12 AM
5) It cant be because the stormtroopers are weak willed. After all, they're clones of Jango Fett. The computer malfunctioned.

i dont know about that, i dont think the stormtroopers were jango's clones. After (i know this is EU) Kyle Katarn joined an imperial academy, to be trained. In the JA demo, you here about how a cultist was talking about how he used to be a stormtrooper. Also in JK2, an imperial commander was questioning a stormtrooper and asking "how long has it been since you graduated?" and then in force commander you could see they were people. But thats all EU...
 InitialD
12-04-2003, 1:36 AM
Originally posted by benTantilles perhaps he felt reluctance at killing his former padawan...he's not perfect, ya know. or maybe it was against the jedi principles--or HIS principles-- to take such offensive action.[/B]

Yeaha nd in ROTJ, Yoda said to Luke: You must face Vader! Now that doesn't seem fair to Anakin as Dooku got away with it!
Page: 1 of 1