Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Is Coruscant in JA?

Page: 1 of 1
 TK-8252
08-22-2003, 7:32 PM
I see screenshots of something that looks like Coruscant, but it could be Nar Shaddaa. Is Coruscant going to be in Jedi Academy?
 StormHammer
08-22-2003, 7:39 PM
Yes, Coruscant will feature in Jedi Academy. Check the Jedi Academy FAQ (link in my sig) please for more information on locales. ;) Whether those screenshots actually depict Coruscant is another matter, but I think it's fair to assume. :D
 txa1265
08-22-2003, 7:41 PM
Originally posted by TK8252MJL
I see screenshots of something that looks like Coruscant, but it could be Nar Shaddaa. Is Coruscant going to be in Jedi Academy? From the C&VG article mentioned in the 'magazine sightings' thread Can you reveal anything about the types of missions we'll be going on and the locations in which the missions are set?

Fuchs: This mission structure has given Raven the freedom to create twice as many Star Wars locations as in JKII. We've tried to mix up the missions a lot to give the player a variety of things to do rather than just "shoot everybody and find the exit" type stuff. Some of the missions involve the overall story that flows through the game, and some of them are more episodic adventures.

Some missions will be vehicle based, some the player will fight alongside allies from the films, some they will need to rescue people, some they will need to fight through with their lightsaber, and some they will need to use their force powers and abilities to tackle some pretty tough enemies. This takes place all across the Star Wars universe in places like Tatooine, Hoth, Coruscant, and more.

Hope that clears things up for you! Personally I don't have any idea if we return to Nar Shadda, but I would like it ...

Mike

[edit ... OMG we're quick ... we were all over this one ... these fast updates have us all a bit twitchy ?!? ;) ]
 JEDI OUTCAST
08-22-2003, 7:42 PM
I see screenshots of something that looks like Coruscant, but it could be Nar Shaddaa. Is Coruscant going to be in Jedi Academy?

yes.
 Mith[OmNi]
08-22-2003, 10:23 PM
Though, oddly enough, Coruscant looks almost EXACTLY like Nar Shadda. Sort of like the way New York looks like Toronto. ;)
 Rumor
08-22-2003, 10:54 PM
they're all cities with skyscrapers....
 TK-8252
08-23-2003, 12:58 AM
It seems like Nar Shaddaa is always at night.
 Emon
08-23-2003, 1:10 AM
Aside from GTA, when's the last time you saw a daytime city in an FPS or TPS?
 TK-8252
08-23-2003, 1:12 AM
My question could possibly be stupid, but what's a FPS and TPS?

Coruscant in the movies was usually shown in the day.
 Reclaimer
08-23-2003, 1:22 AM
FPS= First Person Shooter where you only see your gun kind of like in JO

TPS= Thrid Person Shooter means what it looks like when you had your lightsaber out.

Got it?
 TK-8252
08-23-2003, 1:23 AM
So then what is Jedi Outcast? A FPS or a TPS?
 Gabrobot
08-23-2003, 1:29 AM
Both.
 Reclaimer
08-23-2003, 1:29 AM
Both. FPS because of the guns TPS because of the lightsaber.
 Obi-Wan X
08-23-2003, 2:12 AM
I actually wouldnt mind having some of the Coruscant level be day light. You could be in the upperlevels where the sun reaches (ep1), and then go to the lower levels where it doesnt (ep2), thus it being dark.
 Kurgan
08-23-2003, 3:26 AM
Also if tradition holds, you will be able to use guns in third person and lightsaber in first person as well. ; )
 The Cheat
08-23-2003, 4:01 AM
well you were only able to have lightsaber in first person in single player in jedi outcast but i believe there was a cheat to get first person for the lightsaber in multiplayer which i should know being the cheat and all
 Kurgan
08-23-2003, 4:52 AM
It was *not* a cheat, just a console command (which could be bound to a key):

cg_fpls 1

This is for multiplayer. And unlike SP's first person lightsaber, this one allowed you to do all the flips, spins, rolls, etc and other moves (like the wall walk) in it successfully.

Don't worry, it doesn't seem to be that well known (unfortunately). I learned about it on the forums, and I've had it posted on my site for a while (in the Lightsaber section, see link in my Sig).
 The Cheat
08-23-2003, 4:59 AM
no wonder i didnt know it

thanks for posting it kurgan

yeah i had it as a bind before but then i reinstalled my game so i lost what it was
 Andy867
08-23-2003, 8:04 AM
My question could possibly be stupid, but what's a FPS and TPS?

Coruscant in the movies was usually shown in the day.

Actually, its almost split, although there is maybe 1 or 2 more day incidents than night, but if you remember in the S.E. of the Original Trilogy, they showed Coruscant, and then there was the night that Zam Wessell tried to assassinate Senator Amidala.
 lonepadawan
08-23-2003, 10:00 AM
A speeder exactly like Zams is in one of the old screenshots. Plus it has the neon signs and traffic from Coruscant. And in the trailer theres some coruscant style buildings in one of the shots
 taekwondo joe
08-23-2003, 1:55 PM
Originally posted by Mith[OmNi]
Though, oddly enough, Coruscant looks almost EXACTLY like Nar Shadda. Sort of like the way New York looks like Toronto. ;) not, new york looks better
 Emon
08-23-2003, 1:57 PM
Coruscant is rather ugly in design, but Corellia and some of the other worlds are just awesome.
 The Cheat
08-23-2003, 2:55 PM
i think coruscant is awesome, a planet that is a complete city, but there are some other places that are pretty cool like a city in the sky but coruscant is probably my favorite but that is my opinion
 txa1265
08-23-2003, 3:46 PM
Originally posted by The Cheat
i think coruscant is awesome, a planet that is a complete city, but there are some other places that are pretty cool like a city in the sky but coruscant is probably my favorite but that is my opinion That, to me, is why the doubling of locales in Jedi Academy is so cool. JKII had cool places - Kejim, Artus, Yavin, Nar Shadda, Bespin, Cairn, the Doomgiver. But JA is going to make it even cooler with more movie places - Hoth, Tatooine, Coruscant, as well as Yavin and who knows where else. I like the city areas, but also love the outdoor places - I am looking forward to every locale I've seen so far ...

Mike
 StormHammer
08-24-2003, 3:22 AM
Originally posted by txa1265
That, to me, is why the doubling of locales in Jedi Academy is so cool. JKII had cool places - Kejim, Artus, Yavin, Nar Shadda, Bespin, Cairn, the Doomgiver. But JA is going to make it even cooler with more movie places - Hoth, Tatooine, Coruscant, as well as Yavin and who knows where else. I like the city areas, but also love the outdoor places - I am looking forward to every locale I've seen so far ...

Mike

I couldn't agree more. :p

Along with the movie locations (I can't wait to visit Hoth...which I think is one of the 'coolest' places in the SW universe *ouch*), I'm still hoping to see some more of the worlds that are just given a passing mention in the movies...like Corellia, Sullust, Kessel, Ryloth, etc. We know about them, and some have featured in EU material, but they've not been conceptualised as 3D environments to explore before (to my knowledge). I'm also glad to see a couple of places mentioned in the EU now being slated for inclusion in the game (like Darth Vader's castle).

At last we can build up a picture of the wider SW universe...at last we can explore. :p
 Archonon
08-24-2003, 4:00 AM
Coruscant is my absolute favorite world in the SW universe. I can't even imagine how much better RotJ would have been for me had Luke and Vader's duel before the Emperor happened in Coruscant as it was originally intended (named Had Abbadon then).

I was so pleasantly surprised when I read Coruscant would be in JA and saw the screenies, especially since I had asked ravenchang (I think was the name he used here) had told me that Coruscant wouldn't be in because it was such a hard planet to pull off convincingly.

I only wish JA'a Coruscant resembled somewhat what I saw in that ffa Coruscant map released in pcgamemods this last week. If it doesn't, well I don't care I still get to visit my fave SW locale anyways. One thing I would like to see (like many have already mentioned) are some npcs walking about and maybe saying a thing or two before returning to the ol'hack and slash.
 TheZero
08-24-2003, 4:16 AM
Coruscant is my favorite sw planet as well.

[ Info from leaked beta deleted. Second offense, you're gone. Next time read the stickies... ]
 Emon
08-24-2003, 4:23 AM
As great as Coruscant is, nothing beats the really great ones like Ord Mantell and Corellia!

This low res, cropped picture is the only one I can find. The place that had the full thing was awesome. It's on some CD I think, like Making Magic, but newer, anyone know of something like this?

http://www.starwars.jp/location/image/ord_mantell.jpg)
Page: 1 of 1