Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Turns out species DOES matter

Page: 1 of 1
 Anakin1607
08-22-2003, 5:53 AM
Check it out on the OS, the race you pick determins your starting lightsaber stance. Medium for Humans, light for Twi leks and Rodians, heavy for Kel Dors and Zabraks.
 Anakin1607
08-22-2003, 6:04 AM
On a side note, anyone else notice how "predator" like the new Kel Dor faces are? I mean, Plo Koon was already a badass, then you check out the rest of his family. They're rad. :cool:
 Emon
08-22-2003, 6:12 AM
Hah, that's cool.
 SettingShadow
08-22-2003, 7:46 AM
Heh, cool, Light is my favorite stance, and I'm gonna be Rodian... :D
 Kurgan
08-22-2003, 7:46 AM
Interesting that they referred to the "saber type" as

Light
Medium
Heavy

Rather than the conventional terms used for saber stances/styles on the rest of the site (and in JK2):

Fast
Medium
Strong

Is this a typo? Or does it mean this refers to something else?

Interesting nonetheless...
 The Count
08-22-2003, 12:11 PM
It won't matter if you choose Dual Sabers, or the Lightstaff.
 Taos
08-22-2003, 12:16 PM
I like this idea, this is the way it should be IMO.
 StormHammer
08-22-2003, 1:11 PM
I too like this idea. :)

In fact, they could have taken it even further, IMHO, by adding some basic stats, so each race has more strengths and weaknesses to define them more, and make each of them worth playing to see how it would affect completion of certain missions. It doesn't have to be a full-blown RPG...just enough variety to add some more spice to the proceedings.

Maybe they should have given each race a different default Force power to start with - Speed for one, Jump for another etc., to play to that race's strengths...
 txa1265
08-22-2003, 1:33 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan

Rather than the conventional terms used for saber stances/styles on the rest of the site (and in JK2):

Interesting nonetheless... I think they have fallen into the same lazy trap as the rest of us in interchanging fast/light and heavy/strong ... I didn't read anything else into it.

And Anakin1607 - the Kel-Dor's do look quite cool ... this is amongst the new news from the site that has challenged my assumptions of what would happen when I hit the character screen ...

I assumed I'd be a human male with a blue saber and get into the game in ~5 minutes. Now I'm not sure ... Do I want to be human male? What should I look like ... I know I'll still go blue on the saber ... but I hadn't thought about my hilt much ... will I ever get the game started?!?!?

Mike
 Sargasso
08-22-2003, 1:43 PM
This is bad news for me, since I wanted to start with species as a basis for my character and then move on to whatever single stance my heart desired.

Hmmm... I'm suddenly uncomfortable with this rpg-lite business.
 Mex
08-22-2003, 2:01 PM
This seems like a pretty good idea to me. But most people will choose the race that has heavy since it is the strongest.

Hey and a good idea for a thread is what race you will be, since I can't post threads for some reason, someone else could.
 txa1265
08-22-2003, 2:02 PM
Originally posted by Sargasso
This is bad news for me, since I wanted to start with species as a basis for my character and then move on to whatever single stance my heart desired.

Hmmm... I'm suddenly uncomfortable with this rpg-lite business. Hmmm ... I feel exactly the opposite. Rather than just window-dressing, your character has actual attributes that impact your game play. I do hope that (as Stormhammer mentioned) your starting skills are impacted by character choice as well.

To each their own ...

Mike
 Prime
08-22-2003, 2:09 PM
Originally posted by The Count
It won't matter if you choose Dual Sabers, or the Lightstaff. But I believe that you won't be able to choose those in the initial character creation. Those options become "unlocked" as you progress through the game, not at the beginning.
 txa1265
08-22-2003, 2:11 PM
Originally posted by Michaelmexp
This seems like a pretty good idea to me. But most people will choose the race that has heavy since it is the strongest.

Hey and a good idea for a thread is what race you will be, since I can't post threads for some reason, someone else could.

I restarted the "What race will you play as?" thread ... that should work.

Also, I disagree with the Kel-Dor assessment. All three stances have there advantages and disadvantages ... I guess we'll see.

Mike
 txa1265
08-22-2003, 2:15 PM
Originally posted by Prime
But I believe that you won't be able to choose those in the initial character creation. Those options become "unlocked" as you progress through the game, not at the beginning. They have said as much in various interviews / previews / reviews. I'm assuming it is only through one of these 'unlockings' that you get to choose Red as a color.

Mike
 ImmolatedYoda
08-22-2003, 9:21 PM
anybody notice the big difference between the three Rodian heads? quite funky.
 boinga1
08-22-2003, 9:33 PM
Those rodians are ugly, man...bleah.

Of course, I don't really find the human males or Kel-dors particularly hot either...but those dudes are just weird looking.

And yes, I think different starting styles for different species are good...although I can't think MP will be like that.
 StormHammer
08-22-2003, 9:43 PM
Originally posted by boinga1
And yes, I think different starting styles for different species are good...although I can't think MP will be like that.

I agree. Although you will still be able to use the same kind of customisation options in MP, it would not make much sense to limit stances or Force levels - so I expect you to be able to allocated points to whatever stances you want, along with Force powers, in a similar way to JO.

As for the Siege mode...it's likely the classes will be very restricted in terms of what you can and cannot choose. I expect only the Jedi class to be able to use lightabers, to be honest, but we'll have to wait and see.
 Kurgan
08-22-2003, 9:55 PM
I think they have fallen into the same lazy trap as the rest of us in interchanging fast/light and heavy/strong ... I didn't read anything else into it.

When I first saw it I was thinking the same thing to myself, which is why I posted that. Now I'm thinking perhaps that the developers meant this to be "Final Fight" (you have three choices! Strong but Slow, Fast but Weak, or Medium/Normal Man!).

Anyhow, yeah, what else could it be but starting saber stance? Unless they decided to make each character physically slower/faster and have higher/lower stamina when it comes to losing health, but that's probably reading too much into it.

Webjedi or whomever probably just forgot the terminology when writing up that page.

Intersting way to do it. Now of course, if we assume the saber stances are balanced, this is just for variety's sake. If in fact some stances are more powerful than others, then it could be seen as Difficulty settings (only initially of course)

Of course, how many people play with just one stance?
Keep in mind the missions will not just be a series of saber duels, there will be all sorts of other stuff we have to do. It almost makes you wish you could pick different species for different missions. ; )

To answer the questions about how you get the other sabers, according to Stormhammer's FAQ and the recent interviews, you start with one stance, then you "earn" a second one as you play through the game. Finaly, when you earn the third one, you are offered the choice of getting that third stance OR the Dual Lightsabers OR the Saberstaff. How exactly you "earn them" I don't know, but I'm guessing it will be in the form of a guy talking to you while a menu screen appears showing you the new "gear."
 Mith[OmNi]
08-22-2003, 10:14 PM
[Deleted Leaked Info From Beta: Consider yourself Banned]
 Mith[OmNi]
08-22-2003, 10:18 PM
[Deleted Leaked Info From Beta. Banned]
 Lach
08-22-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Michaelmexp

You mean light, since its the strongest, right :?

You may have more powerfull swings but if your slow and you dont hit.... :D

Light > all :D
 Kurgan
08-22-2003, 11:38 PM
Mith[OMNI]:

I swear I saw shots of Luke's face talking to you in a menu shot of your progress. Can't remember where it was though. Am I crazy?
 Mith[OmNi]
08-23-2003, 12:48 AM
[Deleted Leaked Info From Warez]
 Reclaimer
08-23-2003, 12:52 AM

Interesting nonetheless...

Assuming:

Light = Fast
Medium = Medium
Heavy = Strong

Assuming that how it would be. I dunno. :confused:
 Kurgan
08-23-2003, 5:21 PM
It may or not matter, but the "FAQ" on the Official site says that players start with "medium style" in the single player game.
 Dr_night
08-25-2003, 3:37 AM
i don't want my race to be limited to heavy, but i love the zabrak race! i wanna wield light and fast duel sabers! whoever thinks this is a good idea is in the minority and will have a fate such as :mob:
 Emon
08-25-2003, 4:01 AM
It's what you start with, not what you're limited to.
 Nemios
08-26-2003, 9:13 AM
It may or not matter, but the "FAQ" on the Official site says that players start with "medium style" in the single player game.

They also corrected the character section. Now for all races they say "normal".
 SettingShadow
08-26-2003, 9:30 AM
Originally posted by Nemios
They also corrected the character section. Now for all races they say "normal".

Doh. I really liked the idea of starting with different stances for each race.. oh well.
 [My Name Here]
08-26-2003, 9:34 AM
This works out well for me, I was gonna be Kel Dor, and heavy is my least favorite stance, so now I'm happier.
 SettingShadow
08-26-2003, 9:44 AM
Well I guess it doesn't matter that much. I was gonna be Human or Rodian anyway, Light and Medium is my favorite stances as well.
 txa1265
08-26-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Nemios
They also corrected the character section. Now for all races they say "normal". Actually it says 'medium' for all. I also see this as 'too bad'. I liked the idea of differentiation of species.

Oh well...

Mike
 StormHammer
08-26-2003, 11:14 AM
Well, that's a huge disappointment for me. Starting different races off with different stances was a good idea, and if they've neutered it, well, that's a step backwards, IMHO. :( Or if they really wanted to...they could make the first stance selectable by the player to alleviate any problems of people liking a certain race, but not liking their default stance. Oh well...
 Khier
08-27-2003, 12:42 AM
Bleg I didn't like the idea in the first place, it's just my opinion, but I wouldn't want to set up what I thought was a butt kickin' character, and then get stuck with my least favourite stance... although since it would've just been for the first little while I could have dealt with it.
 txa1265
08-27-2003, 1:59 AM
Originally posted by Khier Serakk
Bleg I didn't like the idea in the first place, it's just my opinion, but I wouldn't want to set up what I thought was a butt kickin' character, and then get stuck with my least favourite stance... although since it would've just been for the first little while I could have dealt with it. Personally I thought it was a great idea ... despite the mismatch of fave stance/fave character - I mean, wouldn'tt certain species have certain attributtes, regardless of what *YOU* want?

Mike
 Reclaimer
08-27-2003, 11:12 AM

Yes and in the IGN article you get to...

Build a Double or Duel Blade Lightsaber!
 HaruGlory89
08-27-2003, 11:45 AM
I like the idea, but I found it ridiculous that a twilek should start with medium. We have enough mediums and the only light stance guy is the Rodian. My favourite is the light stance but I hate Rodians...
 txa1265
08-27-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by HaruGlory89
I like the idea, but I found it ridiculous that a twilek should start with medium. We have enough mediums and the only light stance guy is the Rodian. My favourite is the light stance but I hate Rodians... I agree. I thought that it should be 2L / 2M / 2H. Humans are known for their 'averageness', so both male and female get medium to start. Fine. Zabrak and Kel-Dor come from environmentally hostile planets, IIRC, so their use of heavy would make sense. Rodians are reptilian based, so they would naturally be fast, and Twileks are graceful, so I thought they both should start with fast.

Just my overanalysis of things ... :rolleyes: (at self)

Mike
 HaruGlory89
08-28-2003, 11:44 AM
Hey, now the official site changed all the saber stances to medium! No more arguments...
 StormHammer
08-28-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by txa1265
I agree. I thought that it should be 2L / 2M / 2H. Humans are known for their 'averageness', so both male and female get medium to start. Fine. Zabrak and Kel-Dor come from environmentally hostile planets, IIRC, so their use of heavy would make sense. Rodians are reptilian based, so they would naturally be fast, and Twileks are graceful, so I thought they both should start with fast.

Just my overanalysis of things ... :rolleyes: (at self)

Mike

I agree with your analysis. :)

I wonder if you will be able to alter your default stance via a cheat in the console. Then we would simply be able to choose the stance we wanted to use at the very beginning.
 Andy867
08-29-2003, 5:59 AM
Well, I remember when you used the setforceall code to above 4 or 5, you were given to extra saber stances. I wonder why they have you only start out as one, although it could be now that I think about, because you are just a Jedi in training so you only really know one way to fight.. (hack at anything that is trying to kill ya ;) )
Page: 1 of 1