Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Gone GOLD - release on 17 Sept 2003

Page: 1 of 1
 Gabrobot
08-13-2003, 5:26 PM
Most interesting...on the official Lucasarts site, their little game selector thingy says for Jedi Academy that it's gone gold and that it'll be in stores on the 17th of september...pre-order it here (http://www.lucasarts.com/companystore/jediacademy/) .
 Troopr-Undr-Fir
08-13-2003, 5:38 PM
SWEAT!!!!!!!, but whay is gonna take so long to release :mad: . It's just not fair, it's just not fair *crys*
 Obi-Wan X
08-13-2003, 5:38 PM
Strange, I don't even see JA on the game selector thing. Just a large gap between two games where JA will probably be.
 Neverhoodian
08-13-2003, 6:53 PM
Good to hear it's finally gone gold. I'll probably get it for Christmas, though.
 Reprehence
08-13-2003, 7:35 PM
I saw this on the site too. I wonder what they are holding it for?? It usually only takes a week or two from the time something goes gold until it surfaces at stores (not a whole month).
 StormHammer
08-13-2003, 8:58 PM
Well, that's great news, and thanks for the heads-up. :thumbsup:

It's good to see the speculated date was close to the actual release date. Time to update the ole FAQ... ;)

Just over a month to go...and I can't wait. :D
 The_One
08-13-2003, 9:21 PM
[Mr Burns]Exxcccelllente[/Mr Burns]

Still not quite as hyped for this as Half Life 2 :p It'll be out for 2 weeks, then most people will forget it in the wake of HL2. If it's gone gold, they should get it out ASAP. September is a suicidal month to release a game this year.
 Tarus
08-13-2003, 9:37 PM
I agree. Ill probably be getting HL2 before jedi academy if the release dates fall to close. I do enjoy the series for the most part but I do have priorities :)

Course I guess I coudl just buy them both....
 boinga1
08-13-2003, 10:00 PM
huh. It doesn't even get a lucasarts.com headline? What's up with that. :D

And yes, even bettwer, now it's three days after my birthday, and in the middle of the week. I tell, you, it's personal. They're out to get me. :rolleyes:
 HaruGlory89
08-13-2003, 11:51 PM
Half-Life 2, JA. I think I'll get JA first and maybe HL2 in Christmas... or maybe I won't get HL2 at all. Hmm...
 Mut12
08-14-2003, 1:42 AM
What does it mean when a game has gone gold? coz i always see it and never know what it means
 Gabrobot
08-14-2003, 2:17 AM
Originally posted by Mut12
What does it mean when a game has gone gold? coz i always see it and never know what it means

It means that the game is finished and Lucasarts is now reproducing enough copies of the game for the release day.
 Reprehence
08-14-2003, 2:35 AM
I'm gonna get JA and wait on HL2 until I can upgrade my puter. It just doesn't make much sense to get HL2 with the system I have now.
 Side
08-14-2003, 3:18 AM
My all mighty powerful 600 pc ownz u
 zdk1
08-14-2003, 3:22 AM
And yes, even bettwer, now it's three days after my birthday, and in the middle of the week. I tell, you, it's personal. They're out to get me. :rolleyes:

hehe and its four days before mine :p
 Kurgan
08-14-2003, 4:07 AM
Woohoo!

Then again, I'm kinda sad that they didn't continue working a little longer to perfect the game before release. Buuut.. I don't know their schedules or how they are working at crunch time, so I'm sure they did what they thought was best.

Can't wait!
 Andy867
08-14-2003, 4:25 AM
Funny how people complained about the box cover art when load behold, it turns out to be the Jedi Outcast symbol with just a green marble look to it... Will people complain still, or embrace it like they did Jedi Outcast;)
 GonkH8er
08-14-2003, 7:03 AM
Preorder gift - Licence plate frame

http://www.lucasarts.com/companystore/jediacademy/images/plate.jpg)

UNLEASH YOUR INNER NERD! STICK THIS BABY ON YOUR 1984 HONDA CIVIC AND PREPARE TO BE EGGED AND TAUNTED! :)
 SettingShadow
08-14-2003, 9:32 AM
Originally posted by boinga1

Just 2 days after my birthday. I'm telling you, it's me they're out to get! :mad:
 STTCT
08-14-2003, 10:16 AM
That is one horribly nerdy looking liscence plate you got there Gonky!:p
 Boba Rhett
08-14-2003, 10:23 AM
*appalled beyond his previously known bounds*
 toms
08-14-2003, 1:43 PM
Originally posted by boinga1
huh. It doesn't even get a lucasarts.com headline? What's up with that. :D

i did warn you.... ;)
 Prime
08-14-2003, 2:36 PM
Originally posted by Reprehence
I saw this on the site too. I wonder what they are holding it for?? It usually only takes a week or two from the time something goes gold until it surfaces at stores (not a whole month). Maybe they have other things to finish up, like the manual or something :confused:

Originally posted by

UNLEASH YOUR INNER NERD! STICK THIS BABY ON YOUR 1984 HONDA CIVIC AND PREPARE TO BE EGGED AND TAUNTED! That would look funky on my 2002 VW Jetta. And since I work at a but hi-tech company, I would be hailed as the uber-nerd! All would bow before me1 I would be looking su-weet driving down the freeway with that pumping toons by Public Enemy :D

Oh no wait...that would suck (except the Public Enemy part). :)
 StormHammer
08-14-2003, 5:15 PM
Prime...you could well be right about the manuals and stuff...

Also, I don't know how quickly they pump out these CD's, but maybe they are aiming for a larger number of games being available on release, possibly based on sales figures for Jedi Outcast.

Also...they might be aiming for simultaneous releases in different countries, which obviously takes more coordination, and holding back in some countries.

Anyway, it's not that long to wait. Just another month, and we'll be able to judge if the wait was worthwhile. :)
 The_One
08-14-2003, 9:29 PM
Well, I'll pick it up on release day or soon after. Hopefully I can finish it before Half Life 2 comes out - it will be gaming heaven during September methinks ;) There are lots of other good games coming then too.
 Sargasso
08-14-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Buuut.. I don't know their schedules or how they are working at crunch time, so I'm sure they did what they thought was best.

That's funny, because I'm sure they did not what they thought was best but what their publisher demanded. ;)
 Darth Stryke
08-15-2003, 12:13 AM
Well, I guess I won't be preordering from them. I don't need the license plate thingy and I can get it the 14th or 15th if I go to EB where my friend works. I guess I will have to wait to talk about it here until the 17th.
 Anakin
08-15-2003, 8:51 AM
Does this mean we also get it on the 16/17th Of September in the UK/Europe?
 defalc
08-15-2003, 9:38 AM
Do we get it on the 17th in Australia?
 -=SHI/VOBI=-
08-15-2003, 12:10 PM
Well iv'e just put JA down for a sec (it finished downloading at exactly 9:03 am this morning) and iv only just stoped playing it for a min................................. IT ROCKS PPL UNDERSTAND THIS IS THE GAME YOU'VE BEEN WAITING FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
 defalc
08-15-2003, 1:15 PM
Dude...you realise that the beta is illegal and hence it shall not be discussed here? :rolleyes:
 Andy867
08-15-2003, 2:52 PM
Don't worry, he knows now. Anyway, get back on to topic please.
 Business_Eskimo
08-17-2003, 6:40 PM

Yeah, back on topic.

This seems odd that it would take this long for the game to be sent to stores after it has gone beta. Having beta-tested quite a few games for several different companies, on every other game it has only taken a few days to a week to get it into stores.

Exactly what is LA doing, burning several billion CD's? I doubt there will be that many people rushing out to the local electronics store to get it the instant it comes out.

The only possible explanation could be the manual... and even with that, someone is wasting time, somewhere...

Originally posted by GonkH8er

UNLEASH YOUR INNER NERD! STICK THIS BABY ON YOUR 1984 HONDA CIVIC AND PREPARE TO BE EGGED AND TAUNTED! :)

No joke, lol.
 defalc
08-18-2003, 7:18 AM
I think they still have to WRITE the manual. I mean, the game's gone gold but they haven't even released the system requirements yet. Somebody is slacking off.
 txa1265
08-19-2003, 2:31 PM
Remember that there are two companies involved here - Raven and LA. Raven has finished their job, which they probably budgeted to be done by Sept 1st (I assume a 2-week gold->store delay), so now LA has to finish getting their stuff together - they are still coming off KOTOR and are heavily into promoting Rebel Strike - Brett Tosti is producer for that as well. So there's a bunch of stuff.

Mike
 JEDI OUTCAST
08-30-2003, 1:34 PM
the uk date for jedi academy is the 19/09/03
 Redwing
09-02-2003, 4:34 AM
Originally posted by GonkH8er

Beautiful. :D
 GUNNER
09-02-2003, 10:37 AM
While I'm a Dark forces/JK feind I still would rather have HL2. But it loks like HL2 is now slid back till Nov 19th. So that gives me time to try and finish off JA first.

But for right now I still have one more mission on Unreal 2 to finish up.;)
 [Sith]Apollyon
09-09-2003, 9:54 PM
i happen to like the release date for JA. It's after i get my pay check. :)
 Reddiguy
09-10-2003, 6:33 AM
Originally posted by Gabrobot
It means that the game is finished and Lucasarts is now reproducing enough copies of the game for the release day.
I thought it meant that a certain # of copies had sold already? Like in pre-order?
 [Sith]Apollyon
09-10-2003, 8:02 PM
it may be...i know i pre-ordered it. you get a lil dinky light saber key chain if you do
 Agen
09-13-2003, 8:40 PM
Meh, for me it's 19th of September..... crappy country -_-
 Reddiguy
09-13-2003, 11:32 PM
I'll get mine the 17th . . . and yeah, I got the lightsaber key chain. I felt juvenile just holding it ---hahahaha.
 Omikron
09-13-2003, 11:32 PM
Same here Agen, same here.
Sux really doesn't it.
 Lord Storm
09-16-2003, 3:29 AM
Originally posted by Reddiguy
I thought it meant that a certain # of copies had sold already? Like in pre-order?

Just joined here from the jediknightii.net forums (I assumed you had to re-register) Anyhow, "going gold" was explained to me by someone in the software biz, I believe one of the developers from the MOH:AA game who was answering questions in another forum.

"Going gold" is exactly what it means. The game is actually burned on a 24 kt gold disc. Gold can withstand the pressure of being copied over and over again. Every disc made is copied off the same gold master disc.

Only in the record industry does it mean to sell a certain number of copies.
 Andy867
09-16-2003, 4:06 AM
actually, the JK.net and JKII.net forums are one in the same since they are a part of the LucasArts Fan Network (LFNetwork). Only new members who had never been here had to register. But back to topic, actually, i heard that i means the game has been given the "gold seal" of approval for being shipped off to be mass produced. And the game developer throws a "Gone Gold" party ;) but it also means that the Gold Master disc has been sent off to be duplicated. So you are right, but you were missing some information.
 Kurgan
09-16-2003, 6:02 PM
Since the game is coming to store shelves tomorrow and some people may even get it in pre-order today, I think it's safe to unsticky this.

Besides, everybody should have seen it by now... ; )
Page: 1 of 1