Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

MP the Same as SP?

Page: 1 of 1
 Tyler_Durden
08-06-2003, 6:10 PM
Saw this in the Article on the main page:

"In Jedi Outcast, there were separate saber systems for single player and multiplayer. Can we expect the same in Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy?

All of the sabers, saber styles, fighting styles and acrobatic maneuvers available in the single player game will be available in multiplayer, but some will be tweaked for play balancing purposes. So in one sense, it’s the same system, but damage values and move durations may be slightly different."

So can we expect to see the same collision detection in MP as in SP but with changes for damage and other factors? Personally, I hope so as it will eliminate all the mods that tried to change the gameplay but never changed the essential core and try to "unify" the community better.
 FK | unnamed
08-06-2003, 6:23 PM
 Smood
08-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
Saw this in the Article on the main page:

"In Jedi Outcast, there were separate saber systems for single player and multiplayer. Can we expect the same in Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy?

All of the sabers, saber styles, fighting styles and acrobatic maneuvers available in the single player game will be available in multiplayer, but some will be tweaked for play balancing purposes. So in one sense, it’s the same system, but damage values and move durations may be slightly different."

So can we expect to see the same collision detection in MP as in SP but with changes for damage and other factors? Personally, I hope so as it will eliminate all the mods that tried to change the gameplay but never changed the essential core and try to "unify" the community better.

I heard that it is not the same at all. Although it is not first hand info, it comes from trust worthy sources. They claim that the difference in combat is similar to the difference in combat in JO (MP vs. SP). Apparently the collision and parries are the key difference.
 Gabrobot
08-07-2003, 2:24 AM
That can't be right, because one of the Raven guys who programed the saber stuff (I think) posted in another thread that they changed the MP saber stuff so that SP and MP would be the same...

[Edit: Here's a quote:

Originally posted by ChangKhan[RAVEN]
For one thing, SP and MP are totally different codebases. In SP, we don't have to worry about networking and can cheat a lot. For another thing, there's lag in MP that you never get in SP because you're playing over a network. But, mainly, the reason it was different in Jedi Knight 2 was because we didn't have time to really try to make them exactly the same - we kind of co-developed the saber combat in MP and SP. We didn't think it was that bad of a thing since MP gameplay demands different things than SP gameplay (hence the drastic differences in force powers, as well).

But, in JA, we've tried to make them as similar as possible. There are a couple small differences, still, mostly just to handle certain moves that would be impractical or extremely unbalancing in MP. Damage was tweaked in MP, too, to feel right in each gametype. Aside from that, you should find that saber combat in MP feels like SP (as much as it can, operating over Internet lag conditions, etc.)

]
 Prime
08-07-2003, 3:53 PM
Surely there will be some differences, since lag and balancing is a factor in MP.
 Tyler_Durden
08-07-2003, 4:59 PM
I think for me it's all about the collision detection, control, and the AI of the Bots. When i first played multiplayer the control seemed very loose compared to that of SP. Also when a bot hit me with the saber, he didn't even seem to really hit me, he just hit air but there was damage done. Also when they weren't hitting air, the bots would jump to their doom, so i stopped playing MP altogether. I tried downloading a few mods but they didn't change any of the essentials which would have made it fun. But i have high hopes for this new game.
 Kurgan
08-07-2003, 6:56 PM
I think what they meant by those statements was that they were going to be "close" but not indentical. For balancing issues in MP, this makes sense.

However, we can recall that JK/MotS had identical functionality in both SP and MP, but some criticized MotS because the weapons felt "geared more towards multiplayer."

I felt that the SP guns were largely frustrating and annoying to use, thus pushing the use of the saber much more. And of course the introduction of the 1.03 and 1.04 patches was initially intended to make the MP sabers more like SP, but in many ways they were still different (for example many of the "cheap moves" were still usable in SP, although the DFA was left out and other moves were different, plus First Person Lightsaber was very different than in MP... the MP one allowed you to do acrobatic moves for example, while the SP one did not).

Hopefully the new system in MP will combine the best of both. We have heard so much about the saber system, but I hope that the guns and other non-saber weapons in SP don't "suck" as much as they did in JK2 (compared to the excellent guns in MP).
 ryudom
08-07-2003, 7:55 PM
Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
I think for me it's all about the collision detection, control, and the AI of the Bots. When i first played multiplayer the control seemed very loose compared to that of SP. Also when a bot hit me with the saber, he didn't even seem to really hit me, he just hit air but there was damage done. Also when they weren't hitting air, the bots would jump to their doom, so i stopped playing MP altogether. I tried downloading a few mods but they didn't change any of the essentials which would have made it fun. But i have high hopes for this new game.

sure you played JO? after the 1.03 patch, control was much tighter then sp. also... bots don't usually run to there doom, and they did have to hit you.. well there was a bounding box around you but still
 ChangKhan[RAVEN]
08-09-2003, 2:46 AM
Originally posted by Smood
I heard that it is not the same at all. Although it is not first hand info, it comes from trust worthy sources. They claim that the difference in combat is similar to the difference in combat in JO (MP vs. SP). Apparently the collision and parries are the key difference.

Once again, DIABLO, your sources are wrong and are obviously drawing their conclusions from an illegal (and, as I've said before, a quite incomplete) copy of the game. If I were you, I'd refrain from posting any more "trustworthy" info, because it is not, at all.
 Mith[OmNi]
08-09-2003, 2:49 AM
Once again, DIABLO, your sources are wrong and are obviously drawing their conclusions from an illegal copy of the game. If I were you, I'd refrain from posing anymore "trustworthy" info, because it is not, at all.

Harsh!
 Smood
08-09-2003, 3:50 AM
Once again, DIABLO, your sources are wrong and are obviously drawing their conclusions from an illegal (and, as I've said before, a quite incomplete) copy of the game. If I were you, I'd refrain from posting any more "trustworthy" info, because it is not, at all.

I apologize for that and will refrain from posting any more on the issue as you have stated.
 ChangKhan[RAVEN]
08-09-2003, 7:39 PM
Originally posted by Smood
I apologize for that and will refrain from posting any more on the issue as you have stated.

Sorry if I sounded rude, just trying to prevent incorrect info getting out there from... "unofficial" sources.
Page: 1 of 1