Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Gamespy JA Preview

Page: 1 of 1
 nykel007
07-30-2003, 10:56 AM
It seems that GameSpy got some insight into JA. I check my mail this morning, and there it was
They say that the main character name is 'Jaden Korr' to be unisexual (both male/female). They also went into some detail into saber combat. Levels to be seen in the game are also discussed and their structure somewhat explained. Most noted in the preview is some new pics.

(I'm having some trouble setting up the link, so if you are subscribed to Gamespy, someone please help me out by linking this thread to the page for everyone to see.)
 txa1265
07-30-2003, 11:04 AM
Here's the link: http://www.gamespy.com/previews/july03/jk3japc/)

Well, a bit disappointing on the name thing, but no biggie. I'm reading now and will add more as I see it (they also have previews of KOTOR for PC and Rebel Strike for GC).

Edit: Jaden Korr ... I suppose this is about the only way to do it, but I would have been fine being called Padawan, Apprentice or Master Jedi - but at the same time, something tells me that as I play the game I'll realize that it just wouldn't have worked, and will appreciate the new name.

Edit: pretty standard stuff, but a couple of highlights:
- Lightsaber combat: "unique move accomplished by pressing the primary and secondary fire modes at the same time"
- Graphics: "although several graphical improvements can be seen within the game, it's clearly still the Quake 3 engine, with more of a fresh coat of paint than a complete overhaul"

They are excited about its' September release ... and so am I ...

Mike

[From the KOTOR PC Preview: They talk about the bulk of the game, which is on DVD for the XBox, and say they are estimating 4 CD's, and are therefore contemplating whether to do a CD-only, DVD-only, or dual media release.]
 nykel007
07-30-2003, 11:19 AM
Thanks, for putting up the link. Under it all like the preview said, 'a fresh coat of paint'. Anyway, it's Jedi Knight......so I'll buy it anyway.
 Ackehallgren
07-30-2003, 12:02 PM
man! i cant wait!
 The Count
07-30-2003, 12:07 PM
Can you post the link for the preview for Rebel Strike please? Thanks.
 Swat
07-30-2003, 12:15 PM
 txa1265
07-30-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Count Dooku
Can you post the link for the preview for Rebel Strike please? Thanks.

http://www.gamespy.com/previews/july03/rebelstrikegcn)

The screens for that are nothing new, I don't think. That game might just land a 'cube in my house ... unlike the XBox, there are cube games appropriate for a 5 and 6 year old.

Mike
 txa1265
07-30-2003, 1:09 PM
Looking at the screenshots from GameSpy, I noticed a few things:
- You can see the improved graphics and models.
- Chewie - wooohooo!
- Great variety of environments represented, including what looks like the best big city yet!

But the one thing that was strange:
- Are all Dark powers RED? I see it for grip in the shots, but lightning? I liked the nice 'emperor blue' in JO ...

Mike
 Agen
07-30-2003, 1:18 PM
http://www.gamespy.com/previews/july03/jk3japc/11.jpg)
oooh nice :)

Oh and txa, i think that's drain, not lightning ;)
 The Count
07-30-2003, 1:26 PM
Originally posted by Agen_Terminator

Although that looks good, I think it pales in comparisson to Sine Nomen's Nar Shadda level.
 txa1265
07-30-2003, 1:28 PM
http://www.gamespy.com/asp/image.asp?platform=PC&genre=ACTION&image=/previews/july03/jk3japc/02.jpg)

What - THIS? Definitely looks like lightning to me ... but I love the shot you posted ...

Mike
 Swat
07-30-2003, 1:33 PM
Maybe dark rage combined with lightning

Not drain because the rancor isn't covered in red lightning as in JO
 Prime
07-30-2003, 1:36 PM
The preview sounds pretty cool, although I will be disappointed if users of the lightstaff are the only ones who can kick... :(
 txa1265
07-30-2003, 1:46 PM
... notice the TD belt floating off to the left, or rather sitting on nothing in particular ... sigh, this IS still the Q3 engine, alas ...

... and I wonder if you can make that jump to the arch in the middle?

Mike
 Kurgan
07-30-2003, 5:41 PM
Dooku, Terminator, that screenshot you posted is OBVIOUSLY grip, notice how the Gran is clutching at his throat and hovering?

It's not lightning or drain, or rage.

He may have pulled the TD's as he was gripping the guy, and they missed and are floating away (that happened in the SP game of JK2 a lot), or could have done it right before he gripped him. The "red effect" may be slightly modified (in JK2 it looked like a red phantom "hand" was choking the guy's throat) but the power is the same.
 taekwondo joe
07-30-2003, 6:25 PM
so sweat, those screens rock
 txa1265
07-30-2003, 6:34 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Dooku, Terminator, that screenshot you posted is OBVIOUSLY grip, notice how the Gran is clutching at his throat and hovering?

It's not lightning or drain, or rage.

He may have pulled the TD's as he was gripping the guy, and they missed and are floating away (that happened in the SP game of JK2 a lot), or could have done it right before he gripped him. The "red effect" may be slightly modified (in JK2 it looked like a red phantom "hand" was choking the guy's throat) but the power is the same.

I think they were referring to my question about a different screenshot which showed what looked light someone with Rage on shooting Red lightning at the Rancor.

My other thing was the Red effect in general - in JKII everything seemed White (or gray) to me - choke had the same 'phantom' effect as surrounded your hand when you did push or pull. Lightning was blue/white rather than red.

Mike
 JEDI OUTCAST
07-30-2003, 6:34 PM
this game is so going to rock. very cool pics.:D :) :p :cool:
 Reprehence
07-30-2003, 7:17 PM
Does anyone else think some of these saber hilts are too big? Some of them look to be about the diameter of someone's palm. They look like someone's carring around a squash or a gourd. The pic with the jedi shooting lightening particularly - the hilt is huge.
 Ackehallgren
07-30-2003, 7:29 PM
yeah... they are big!

I actually though that we would get to use like, round bits and pieces to make our own hilts!
 Reprehence
07-30-2003, 9:05 PM
I've always wanted a thinner hilt - even a bit thinner than the movie hilts - and have it covered with woven leather straps. Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to have a metal sword hilt? It's a bit strange.

Also - on looking at the Keldor guy with his big hands - I wonder if it's an issue with getting saber hilts that would fit a variety of hand sizes - male - female - keldor.
 ChangKhan[RAVEN]
07-31-2003, 4:16 AM
Originally posted by Agen_Terminator

Hmm, they obviously didn't crank all their detail options up. That level looks much more impressive when all of the graphical options are turned on (not sure if I can get into specifics, but it's something that we didn't have in the last game).
 GonkH8er
07-31-2003, 5:23 AM
Nice of you to drop by Chang....

While you're here, any chance you could tell us anything? Some info on the concussion rifle perhaps? Will diehard Dark Forces 2 fans be happy?
 Emon
07-31-2003, 6:33 AM
Originally posted by txa1265
... notice the TD belt floating off to the left, or rather sitting on nothing in particular ... sigh, this IS still the Q3 engine, alas ...

You realize those kinds of physics have only been showing up this past year in games? It's not like it's really behind the times.
 txa1265
07-31-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Emon
You realize those kinds of physics have only been showing up this past year in games? It's not like it's really behind the times.

Oh I know - it is just that I just finished Elite Force II and they obviously had location knowledge 'difficulties' (typing in midair), and I know one interview with Kenn said that they had really progressed in knowing where things were located so they wouldn't have floating weapons and bodies in desks and so on. It is not a big deal, really. I don't see this as behind the times, we have seen the first bits of games from engine makers (Unreal II first, Source and Doom3 coming), and will get the first decent games from these in the Fall/Winter (Deus EX 2, HL2, Doom 3). Everything else now is still Q3 or Unreal based, and will continue to be mostly so for a while (like MoH:Pacific Assault coming in January)

Oh, and ChangKHAN - you are SUCH a tease ... !

Mike
 toms
07-31-2003, 3:50 PM
Originally posted by ChangKhan[RAVEN]
Hmm, they obviously didn't crank all their detail options up. That level looks much more impressive when all of the graphical options are turned on (not sure if I can get into specifics, but it's something that we didn't have in the last game).

do you think that means rain? or those weird lense effects that we havent figured out yet? or something else?

Red lightning could be drain, or maybe your force colour changes based on your alignment. Not strictly correct, but might make things easier to differentiate in MP.

Hilt does look foolishly big in the racor pic.:(
 Sargasso
07-31-2003, 7:41 PM
Originally posted by ChangKhan[RAVEN]

I would hope so...that almost looks like a shot from JK. :\

Actually, wait... no, it's not big enough. Nevermind ;)
 txa1265
07-31-2003, 7:48 PM
Originally posted by toms
Hilt does look foolishly big in the racor pic.:(
As I said ... that is true for that one pic - but also check the female Jedi ... she looks like she has been taking eating tips from Calista Flockhart and Lara Flynn Boyle :eek:

Mike
 Sargasso
07-31-2003, 7:57 PM
As I said ... that is true for that one pic - but also check the female Jedi ... she looks like she has been taking eating tips from Calista Flockhart and Lara Flynn Boyle :eek:

Mike

Well... we can't have big-boned strong women running around saving the galaxy, now can we?

I mean, what would the pre-pubescent sexually-repressed American teengaers have to qawk at then?
 txa1265
08-01-2003, 1:21 AM
Originally posted by Sargasso
Well... we can't have big-boned strong women running around saving the galaxy, now can we?

I mean, what would the pre-pubescent sexually-repressed American teengaers have to qawk at then?

There should be a happy medium some where neither Carrie Fisher nor Nattalie Portman were scary-thin ... preferably the Cate Archer of Jedi - rather than the Lara Croft ... but either would be better than a poster child for anorexia ...

Mike
 GC256
08-02-2003, 12:53 AM
... unlike the XBox, there are cube games appropriate for a 5 and 6 year old.
What are you trying to say? I hope I'm not misunderstanding you but I'm wishing you didn't call Gamecube a "kiddy" system. You don't want to get me started on that. If you do get a Gamecube, try Metroid Prime, Resident Evil, Resident Evil O, Rogue Leader, and the upcoming Rebel Strike and tell me that it's a kiddy system. If you didn't mean that, then I apologize.

To keep this on topic... Rebel Strike looks like a good game to go along with Jedi Academy and KOTOR this fall.
 txa1265
08-02-2003, 1:33 AM
Originally posted by GC256
What are you trying to say? I hope I'm not misunderstanding you but I'm wishing you didn't call Gamecube a "kiddy" system.

Oh - I'm sorry if that was implied ... what I was saying was that it was 'family compatible', for myself and the kids (my wife has no interest). The point is that the XBox has no kids game, whereas the Cube has games for all ages.

And yeah ... Rebel Strike looks really cool ...

Mike
 HertogJan
08-02-2003, 7:54 AM
http://www.gamespy.com/asp/image.asp?platform=PC&genre=ACTION&image=/previews/july03/jk3japc/02.jpg)

What - THIS? Definitely looks like lightning to me ... but I love the shot you posted ...

Mike

That is DEFINATELY drain!! I mean... that's about exact the same thing as in JO??!! :confused:

Oh and I DO call the cube a kiddy system... No of course that doesn't go for ALL the games, but sure for a lot of 'em... Most cube games I see are either a) kiddy fantasy games designed fopr the cube, real nintendo **** b) normal games, but they are ported from some other console...

I hate the cube :mad: In fact, I don't really like nintendo, just a few games for quick entertainment...

Damn offtopic :o

Oh and the level looks great! What is it? A new nar shadda? Coruscant? Some other spooooky city we don't know about? (I don't know lots of SW cities ;))
 taekwondo joe
08-02-2003, 11:51 AM
no, that cant b narshado again, we have visited that place way to much, and the city looks nothing like it
 defalc
08-02-2003, 1:38 PM
Coruscant maybe? :)
 HertogJan
08-02-2003, 2:19 PM
Originally posted by defalc
Coruscant maybe? :)

Hope so :) But I don't see NPCs :( And no aircraft and no big Neon signs :( Ah well I don't expect it to be the EPII coruscant... Heck, I don't even think it's coruscant :)
 Sargasso
08-02-2003, 3:48 PM
Originally posted by HertogJan
Hope so :) But I don't see NPCs :( And no aircraft and no big Neon signs :( Ah well I don't expect it to be the EPII coruscant... Heck, I don't even think it's coruscant :)

I hope they don't do coruscant.... I'm pretty sure they couldn't do it justice. It would be decidingly underwhelming, reminiscent of a certain Dark Forces mission perhaps.

Oh, and for all intents and purposes the most visible porptions of Coruscant should still be as massive in scale, and thus hard to create, during the JA timeline as it was in Episode II.
 lonepadawan
08-02-2003, 4:02 PM
The screenshot has those neon advertisments similar to coruscant and...

recognise that speeder?

Somthing else interesting is in the shot of the stairs with the player and two NPC jedi... one is the bog standard Jedi2 npc the other is what looks like a fully customized Zabrak...
Page: 1 of 1