Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What you want in Trailer 2

Page: 1 of 1
 Obi-Wan X
07-03-2003, 6:33 PM
What exactly do you hope will be shown in the next trailer released? What do you feel SHOULD be shown?

I would hope to see te following.

- Rag Doll Physics : There seems to be a lot of question as to if this will actually even be used in JA. If it's in, then please, show it in action, if not, then just state that it simply won't be in.

- Considerable amounts of Vehicle Footage : The Taun Taun was pretty good, looked to have fluent motion and actually looked convincing imo. Unlike the ATST, I thought the ATST was quite...well, crap. It was frustrating and I felt like I was moving pixels and rusty models around the screen. I didn't feel like I was driving a vehicle at all to be honest, not to mention I felt quite closed in.

It seems that they've gotten considerably better with vehicles in JA from what we've seen from the trailer as I said before, but we've had news of a swoop bike being available for JA ( sorry if thats the wrong thing). It would be nice to see this thing in action, seeing if it flows smoothly, is convincing, etc, and we could also get a glimpse of maybe a track or a huge sized area for driving.

- New Weapon Footage : We've heard news of a CONC in JA. I think we really need to see that in action if possible.

- Multiplayer Action : Considerable amounts of multiplayer footage would be good. Could get some speculation going as far as what JA multiplayer will be like.

Anything else anyone would like to add?
 the_havoc
07-03-2003, 7:02 PM
I would like to see all the species in action!!

Also the swoop bike and some seconds of multiplayer action , maybe a little bit of what will siege mode will look like.:atat:
 PrimoSidone
07-03-2003, 7:26 PM
I would like to see a gameplay that does NOT look like JO, damn... i want a nother game.. not a expension for JO
 legameboy
07-03-2003, 7:49 PM
I would like lots of clips of vehicles and seige mode and ragdoll physics. :)
 Obi-Wan X
07-03-2003, 9:29 PM
Excellent points about Siege mode. I hope they have a pretty long bit of footage, like Half Life 2, showing off a lot of things.

I also agree, I want this to be a lot different than JO. In the last trailer they have shown pretty much the same gameplay as JO. While they've shown some new features, it still looks like an expansion imo.

So go for broke and show us all with JA has to offer.
 Blademaster_109
07-03-2003, 9:32 PM
When did they said that they would make another one, I just want another one.
 StormHammer
07-03-2003, 10:22 PM
I don't really want another trailer, to be honest. I especially don't want one with 20 minutes of footage. I remember when I first played Jedi Knight, I just tried the demo level first (the fueling station), and then got the game. Prior to that I'd seen a few early screenshots. And I have to say I enjoyed the game a lot more for not knowing what was in it.

I've seen loads of screenshots, an official trailer and a dodgy shaky cam of Jedi Academy, and I know I'm going to like the game based on what I've seen, and the information I've read.

I just don't see the need for these really long trailers showing you half the game, half the enemies, etc., because it must spoil the final effect when you play the full game.

I know I felt that way with Unreal 2, as well. I really kept my finger on the pulse with that game, and scrutinised every screenshot, and watched the trailers...and I was ultimately disappointed when I played the final game. No matter how much you see, or think you see, it just doesn't really compare to playing the game. Devastation...New World Order...Chaser...all were on my Wanted List until I played the demos, and I decided they weren't for me.

So if anything...give me a short demo of JA closer to release so I can try part of a mission myself, which would give me a good feel for the controls, while not revealing too much of the game... :)
 Agen
07-03-2003, 11:11 PM
I'm with Stormie, i'm not a great fan of trailers, I'd much rather have some good info and screenies of the level design :)
 Nemios
07-04-2003, 5:32 AM
I'd like to see some saber, double bladed saber and dual saber action from 1st person perspective. I'm a great fan of this POV, I hope this time you will be able in MP and in SP to perform every move you can do from 3rd person (rolls, special moves, kicks...)
 Prime
07-04-2003, 12:41 PM
Apart from seeing naked ladies...

I'd prefer that they show some of the features, but not really focus on gameplay. It is so hard to get a feel for a game from a trailer. Like the first trailer, if the player is just button mashing, everyone gets the impression that that is what the game will play like.
 praenuntius
07-05-2003, 2:22 PM
I'd like more LucasArts "gold man" action. Maybe this time he could be assaulted by a competing companies logo guy and respond by cleaving him/her in half. :P

I agree with anyone who wanted physics demonstrated. Just a few seconds of a Storm Trooper having his arm cut off and slumping over some rails. Or something.

Some of the weapons available. Not all. I don't want to see the whole game in the trailer, just a few new things quite to make me drool.

Definitely a few multiplayer shots.

Thanks, that'd be nice :)
 Obi-Wan X
07-05-2003, 2:37 PM
I agree somewhat about the trailer issue. Though in regards to JA, I think another trailer is needed. I simply didn't see features that were alot different than JO. I want to see something that merit a purchase from me.

We saw some attacks and a vehicle. But we really didn't see the key things we really needed to know about JA. I do believe there should be a second trailer, and it should show the things that are completely unknown.

I am getting tired of hearing interviews that just rehash the same information over and over again. I want some solid new information.
 Prime
07-05-2003, 2:57 PM
Originally posted by praenuntius
I'd like more LucasArts "gold man" action. Maybe this time he could be assaulted by a competing companies logo guy and respond by cleaving him/her in half. :P And all the while the competing companies logos are calling Gold Man "newb" and "lamer" :D
 Agen
07-05-2003, 3:29 PM
We actually saw the guy rolling otu of the way when he got decked :D I thought that was a nice otuch.
I think you really actually needed to look closely at the trailer :p
 Blademaster_109
07-09-2003, 1:52 AM
I repeat, does ne one have a clue when there will be a new trailier. Or was this created to just make my hopes come crashing down.
 Borlath Mon
07-09-2003, 1:12 PM
I don't want another trailer, personally. If I had to choose, I'd want a demo. One SP mission, one MP map, with the MP map treated as "full"...that is, everything from the full game in the MP map - I'm itching to try the different blades, and the mods I've been trying out just aren't cutting it anymore.
 Blademaster_109
07-09-2003, 7:06 PM
SOME ONE PLEASE ANWSER ME
 yolkboy
07-09-2003, 9:15 PM
You spelled Answer wrong :D
 Borlath Mon
07-09-2003, 10:00 PM
Yolk... :D

Blademaster...the game's going to be released in four weeks. It's unlikely (although I hope I'm wrong) that there's going to be another trailer. Living in England, I don't get the same information as you guys, but over here, at least, there haven't been any advertisements about it, and the only people who -know- about the game are the gaming magazines and fans of Star Wars and/or the DF series. Now, like I said, I don't hear the same things you do, and for all I know, you have TV adverts on the game every hour, on the hour, every day. hell, for all I know, US Big Brother may have slipped the housemates the game ahead of schedule for Product Placement.

Is there going to be another trailer? Possibly.
Do any of us know about it? Possibly.
Do i know that there's going to be another trailer? No.
 Jo
07-10-2003, 1:17 AM
i didn't finish seeing the first trailer...but i wanna see some screens of the Jedi Academy. you know..more in depth..i mean the game is named after it!!
 Blademaster_109
07-10-2003, 1:36 AM
Borlath Mon where in the world did u get the idea its coming out in four weeks! I know it says that it is coming out in fall but that doesn't mean in agust. So far everything points to sept 17. Oh, by the way there are no commericals over here. Sry if it looks like i'm flaming.
 Prime
07-10-2003, 1:42 AM
Originally posted by Blademaster_109
Borlath Mon where in the world did u get the idea its coming out in four weeks! Indeed. I hope he won't be waiting in line for it...
 Borlath Mon
07-10-2003, 12:20 PM
Blade...don't sweat it, I can understand where you're coming from.

It gets released in the UK a few weeks before it does in the US...I'll gloat about that at the end of the post, don't worry about that. However, I have a friend at a local video store, who says they're actually getting it mid August, as a rental copy. Beats me why the UK shippers would do anything that stupid, but I don't mind at all!

Not that I condone, or in any way support illegal copies of games, you understand. So, when I say "it comes out", I mean "I can get a hold of it".

And now...for the gloating.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
 taekwondo joe
07-10-2003, 1:09 PM
rub it in:rolleyes:
 Borlath Mon
07-10-2003, 1:12 PM
Thanks, don't mind if I do! :D
 Blademaster_109
07-10-2003, 1:23 PM
Dude! thats great! U can record it and put a short video of game play on the internet! YEs
 Borlath Mon
07-10-2003, 1:26 PM
If JA has the same recording commands as JO, then I'd be happy to. I've got Vegas Video, so I can do it up all nice and proper, too.
 Blademaster_109
07-10-2003, 7:03 PM
kool
 Obi-Wan X
07-10-2003, 7:36 PM
So far there has been no word on if there will be or will not be another trailer.

Personally I think we need one, I really know NOTHING about JA aside from new sabs, levels, character creation, vehicles, etc. I really need some more information before buying it.

I mean, it takes more than a few screenshots and some new sabs to get me interestd in the game, I mean dang.
 Blademaster_109
07-10-2003, 8:19 PM
good point, although i already know i will be buy this game no matter what. In fact i'm going to preorder it tommrrow at gamestop along with halo 2.
 Lion275
07-11-2003, 2:18 AM
mmmm Halo 2, oops, uhh, hey sorry for getting off topic a bit but Gamestop has stores? like ebgames? huh i didnt know that

and what did you say? JA is not an exspansion? (J/K) :D

I think there might be another trailer though, if not I have high hopes for Borlath Mon's trailer
 yolkboy
07-11-2003, 8:24 PM
Well, I know this is a bit off topic but I just saw an ad for KOTOR on TV last night. Maybe a JA ad will pop up soon in the states?
 Kurgan
07-12-2003, 10:29 PM
I'd like to see some saber, double bladed saber and dual saber action from 1st person perspective. I'm a great fan of this POV, I hope this time you will be able in MP and in SP to perform every move you can do from 3rd person (rolls, special moves, kicks...)

You mean like we already had in Jedi Outcast (albeit with a console command)?

Granted, I guess a lot of people still don't realize you can have a fully functional (with flips and special moves, etc) 1st person lightsaber without mods and without cheating in JO multiplayer, but oh well.

It WOULD be nice if they made it as a regular option in setup+controls (so its more obvious).

Why they didn't make the moves available in SP in 1st person, I'll never know. Who cares if the camera doesn't spin around and make you sick? Nobody wants that!
 Borlath Mon
07-13-2003, 8:09 AM
Why they didn't make the moves available in SP in 1st person, I'll never know. Who cares if the camera doesn't spin around and make you sick? Nobody wants that!

Now this I agree with. I've been using the JediMoves mod, and recently tried the Masters Of The Force mod, and doing all those cartwheels and butterflies in 1st person just made me disoriented.
 Blademaster_109
07-14-2003, 2:01 AM
Originally posted by Lion275
mmmm Halo 2, oops, uhh, hey sorry for getting off topic a bit but Gamestop has stores? like ebgames? huh i didnt know that

and what did you say? JA is not an exspansion? (J/K) :D

I think there might be another trailer though, if not I have high hopes for Borlath Mon's trailer

Yeah gamestop has stores every where. If u don't have one near you check for soft ware etc, and funcoland gamestop owns them both.
 Nemios
07-14-2003, 5:50 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan
You mean like we already had in Jedi Outcast (albeit with a console command)?

Granted, I guess a lot of people still don't realize you can have a fully functional (with flips and special moves, etc) 1st person lightsaber without mods and without cheating in JO multiplayer, but oh well.

I know. Actually I'm one of the guys you thanked for pointed it out in Outcast Strategy :D

I mean in Single Player. Flips, rolls etc. are not possible in SP but they are very useful against reborn. I wish this time SP and MP gameplay are the same.
 txa1265
07-14-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by StormHammer
I don't really want another trailer, to be honest. I especially don't want one with 20 minutes of footage. I remember when I first played Jedi Knight, I just tried the demo level first (the fueling station), and then got the game. Prior to that I'd seen a few early screenshots. And I have to say I enjoyed the game a lot more for not knowing what was in it.

I've seen loads of screenshots, an official trailer and a dodgy shaky cam of Jedi Academy, and I know I'm going to like the game based on what I've seen, and the information I've read.

I just don't see the need for these really long trailers showing you half the game, half the enemies, etc., because it must spoil the final effect when you play the full game.

I know I felt that way with Unreal 2, as well. I really kept my finger on the pulse with that game, and scrutinised every screenshot, and watched the trailers...and I was ultimately disappointed when I played the final game. No matter how much you see, or think you see, it just doesn't really compare to playing the game. Devastation...New World Order...Chaser...all were on my Wanted List until I played the demos, and I decided they weren't for me.

So if anything...give me a short demo of JA closer to release so I can try part of a mission myself, which would give me a good feel for the controls, while not revealing too much of the game... :)

Devastation ... that was the name of that game ... boy I hated that too - there IS such a thing as too much interaction. I was quite the stealthy FPS player in Deus Ex, JKII and SoFII, but played that demo and felt like a bull in a china shop ;)

The way I look at it is this - every screenshot, every interview, every trailer, every post to a thread here, takes time away from the delivery of the game in a timely and thoroughly tested state. Now certainly there is some amount of that stuff budgeted in, but given that the unplanned always happens as a project moves along, and other stuff comes along, this stuff really does start to collide.

I personally assume that we'll see another trailer, but almost wish we wouldn't. I assume we're about 2 months away from the game (~mid-Sept), just about everything about the game is pretty much locked in by now, and while a new trailer would be cool in that it would detail many features we've only seen in words or screenshots, what would it really do? Most people here - regardless of how much they might b*tch about this or that from JKII - are probably going to buy JA soon after release. Why? We all know JA is *evolutionary* from JKII - so if you basically liked JKII (even if you found things annoying), you'll like JA. If, however, you hated everything about JKII - graphics, controls, etc - you probably won't like JA, and a new trailer won't tell you anything new, just give you JA-bashing fodder.

Like Stormhammer, I played the JK demo and loved it! Same for MotS. The game plays like the demo - I feel the same for the JKII demo. I'm sure we'll see another post-release demo, which is fine with me. If you are pumped for the game, buy it (get in line behind me ;) ). If you are that skeptical, wait.

... of course, I'd like to say that if a new trailer came out I'd be able to avoid watching and discussing it ad nauseum, but .... not likely.

Mike
 HertogJan
07-14-2003, 11:39 AM
I don't mind seeing more trailers... I don't care for what purpose they release a trailer, it's just that I want to see more footage before the game comes out! I think Raven/LA is doing a great job with the info on the LA JA site, some new screens, models here and there :)

I don't think trailers are meant to convince people, at least that's not it's main goal. Trailers are for loyal fans like us to keep us happy :D The Duke Nukem Forever community must be pretty small by now, at least the active part of the community. Why? There haven't been any new screenshots of DNF; all we have are the QuakeII engine screens!!
 txa1265
07-14-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by HertogJan
I think Raven/LA is doing a great job with the info on the LA JA site, some new screens, models here and there :)

Agree there! The press kit was quite a treat, too!

I don't think trailers are meant to convince people, at least that's not it's main goal. Trailers are for loyal fans like us to keep us happy :D

I disagree. Trailers are commercials, advertisement. You don't sell advertising to get people you already have - you sell to people who don't know your product, or to get the general community pumped about the game. Not to say 'here you go fan-boys, get busy with your frame-by-frame analysis and 1000-post threads on the comparison of our double saber to Darth Maul's'.

The Duke Nukem Forever community must be pretty small by now, at least the active part of the community. Why? There haven't been any new screenshots of DNF; all we have are the QuakeII engine screens!!

The DNF community is small because anyone with sense has given up waiting for release. (I have no such sense ;) ). The game was 'coming soon' when JK was new and MotS wasn't out. It was 'available for pre-order' at Amazon at the same time as Obi-Wan for the PC. It was called 'definitely a 2000 game' ... and so on. Would a new trailer re-invigorate the community? It would restart the community, more like. But it would have to look very good ...

Mike
 HertogJan
07-14-2003, 4:43 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
I disagree. Trailers are commercials, advertisement. You don't sell advertising to get people you already have - you sell to people who don't know your product, or to get the general community pumped about the game. Not to say 'here you go fan-boys, get busy with your frame-by-frame analysis and 1000-post threads on the comparison of our double saber to Darth Maul's'.

Oops sorry, I didn't really type what I meant I think :o That happens some times you know :) What I meant that I don't really see them as advertising, since I know more about JA than most reviewers out there :rolleyes: And the meaning of the trailer to US, is to keep us happy right? We get excited of every tidbit of info here :D Of course for Raven it's merely another form of advertising...

Hmm, hard to say what I mean :(
 txa1265
07-14-2003, 5:09 PM
Originally posted by HertogJan
Hmm, hard to say what I mean :(

Let me try ...

Trailers are of a dual purpose ... LA/Raven use them as advertising to the general public / media. But for people who hang around here, it is just more drool-fodder / bash-bait (depending on your leanings).

How's that?

Mike

BTW - what's that with people saying that they don't want JA to 'look like JO'? I don't seem to hear that for the new MoH games ... OF COURSE it will look like JO, wouldn't have it any other way ...
Page: 1 of 1