Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Lightsaber Poll

Page: 1 of 2
 Rockstar
07-02-2003, 11:52 PM
hello everyone

could you PLLLLLLLLZZZZ vote :)

just wondering, which lightsaber are you gonna use in MP??

cheers guys

and thanks for voting if you did ;)
 JediLurker
07-03-2003, 12:18 AM
Depends on how each of them handle. Like most non-button mashers, I ended up developing my own sort of syle in JO and whichever saber choice best suits it, I'll probably use. Most likely the single saber, but time will tell.
 coupes.
07-03-2003, 2:36 AM
well i'll probably go with the single saber, no fancy stuff. I think when you master the saber you can be very deadly, you do not need two of them..
 Taran'atar
07-03-2003, 5:31 AM
I'd have to play them first to be sure, but right now I'm leaning toward a single blade. That is, if I even bother with MP.
 HertogJan
07-03-2003, 6:21 AM
I dunno yet, probably single saber, I don't really like the dual sabers, maybe the saber staff, but occasionally I think...
 KBell
07-03-2003, 12:54 PM
I would prefer to use the double in MP, but i would like to go old fashion on some AI with a single lightsaber.
 Prime
07-03-2003, 1:01 PM
My justice shall be dispensed by my single-bladed lightsaber. Thou shalt ph34r my traditional wayz...
 txa1265
07-03-2003, 1:29 PM
In general I believe I agree with Prime, but ...

Given that the game is ~2+ months away (optimistic Amazon UK delivery time assumed ;) ) and we've seen only a single small, dark 'old build' video, which makes it hard to get any feel for the saber play, and which was entirely SP (which is all I really care about anyway) ...

How can you begin to know which saber type / style / stance / favored combos / etc you will use. From the pre- JO info, I'd have assumed I'd use Yellow quite a bit. Instead, I switch between red and blue, favoring blue in both SP and MP (oops ... I'm 0wn3d now :D ). So ... I may think I'll stick with my single saber (blue, of course), play as human male, and use the same stances as before ... but I may be a female zabrak with saber staff (my assumed least fave) playing the dark side ... OK, that's not likely, but I'm not going to decide until ... well, at least until I get enough info on the game!

Mike
 Prime
07-03-2003, 1:50 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
How can you begin to know which saber type / style / stance / favored combos / etc you will use. Because I am old and stubborn and refuse to change my ways, no matter how much of a disadvantage it puts my in? :D
 txa1265
07-03-2003, 2:24 PM
Originally posted by Prime
Because I am old and stubborn and refuse to change my ways, no matter how much of a disadvantage it puts my in? :D

Actually, when I said 'you', I didn't mean *you*, but rather the editorial 'you'.

Not seeing you in the (most recent) 'age poll' in the Swamp, I'm not sure of how you fall on the 'old' scale compared to, say, myself and Stormhammer (sorry to bring you into this :)) ... but stubbornness is an ageless phenomenon :D

I am fairly certain that I will continue to play out my 'Light Kyle'/ObiWan character type - heck, it took me [b] 5 years [/] to make it through JK on the dark side, and only because I was determined to, not because it was my preference. Guess I won't be getting an 'ugly face' in KOTOR ;)

I pray that there is not a disadvantage to staying single saber - after all, Dooku didn't do too badly for himself against Anakin.

Mike
 Blademaster_109
07-03-2003, 2:31 PM
I bet $50 that u single blade guys won't be able to fight off the 6 ppl with sabers atttacking u, and u'll change
 txa1265
07-03-2003, 2:47 PM
Originally posted by Blademaster_109
I bet $50 that u single blade guys won't be able to fight off the 6 ppl with sabers atttacking u, and u'll change

I can't (and won't) speak for Prime, but I'm astonishingly stubborn and true to my character. When I just played JK again, I used the saber almost exclusively, despite being at a decided disadvantage. Same goes for JO - aside from being sniped by Rodians and needing to snipe them, I barely used anything but the saber. Light side, single saber.

Mike
 The Count
07-03-2003, 2:53 PM
If they are good players then they will be able to.
 Project_Fusion
07-03-2003, 3:00 PM
*Votes Dual Sabre*
It's Dual, not Duel, by the way.
 txa1265
07-03-2003, 3:16 PM
Originally posted by Darth Murphy
If they are good players then they will be able to.

I'm decent, not great, not lousy. (and no, despite being very respectful, I have no h0n0r, am not l337, nor have I ever been kicked) I typically win rounds of Jedi Master, or am close to the top (when I can find a game ... the last one with more than two people I hit the 20 kill limit and the next person had 4), and do fairly well at FFA - mid pack, typically. Despite being a 20+ year 'pc gamer', I'm pretty new at online games, my first being bits of Elite Force, then some UT and Q3, bits of hurt from RtCW and MoHAA before finally spending a bit of time working at JKII.

I also take care and pride in learning my skills - so I'll do my best to work on my single saber skills.

Mike
 Z. [Fett]
07-03-2003, 3:16 PM
Im looking forward to fighting 2 guys at once with my lightstaff.
 txa1265
07-03-2003, 3:36 PM
Originally posted by Z. [Fett]

Absolutely! I think that this is going to add quite a bit of excitement and variety to all kinds of game play. Power duels should be interesting, as well as FFA.

See you in September Z. Fett ... I'll be the dead (human male with single saber) body to the left of the stairs :p [edit: I just noticed this was your first post, joining July 2003 - WELCOME!!!]

Mike
 Agen
07-03-2003, 6:34 PM
I'm with single, i know my stuff already and will be a simple man who wears clothes and fights :D

Still, i'm glad that most people think they will still use single. Alot of people probably won't but as long as the dual or double don't dominate i'll be fine with the balance. :)

The staff sure looks like good fun though :D
 legameboy
07-03-2003, 7:41 PM
In singleplayer I'll probobly do lightsaberstaff, but in Multiplayer, I'm not sure or ever will be until the game comes out. :D
 Chris Johnson
07-03-2003, 11:05 PM
I may not've registered this month but I never posted until now.

For Jedi Academy, I might dig the lightstaff's abilities but would rather settle traditionally for the single saber, yellow (disagreement of Old Republic's ways or deals with power more-of) or purple-bladed (might get angry despite training, intentions might be pure but myself *probably* not)... The dual saber might be fancy, more twirling around fast and better defense probably, but like the lightstaff it probably would be harder mastering it. Though it might be just as hard mastering the art of fending off such force users using dual saber or lightstaff by using one lightsaber, I'd do it anyway. Qui-Gon Jinn did a nice job defensively fending off Maul's strikes as Maul retreated (I know Qui-Gon, if tempted and actually did, could've done better offensively... He learned from Dooku who took on Anakin who had two sabers), and Obi-Wan (who was taught swordsmanship probably by Qui-Gon, and was tempted to go offensively by Maul when he used his hilt to balance off Qui-Gon's feet and then to stab him with his lightstaff) kicked Maul's arse by splitting his lightstaff in half in anger offensively... So why not most other Jedi who's skilled enough? The lightstaff might be stylish since Exar Kun's day but I'd much rather prefer the traditional lightsaber. So I voted for the single lightsaber option. Expect me to use single lightsaber on JK2 mods too.
 Rumor
07-04-2003, 12:29 AM
My justice shall be dispensed by my single-bladed lightsaber. Thou shalt ph34r my traditional wayz...

i r scerd
 the_havoc
07-04-2003, 4:44 AM
Crap , I though the dual and saberstaff would be more popular . Well i will have to decide between a single blade , or dual sabers.
 Rockstar
07-04-2003, 9:11 AM
i really like this board! lol theres full of people with honor and edicate here!

tho i must say i thought that the 2 new stances would win i guess you cannot deter the jedi from his traditional ways :cool:

btw sorry for the dual typo, lol :D

oh, and single blade for me ;)
 Prime
07-04-2003, 12:27 PM
Actually, when I said 'you', I didn't mean *you*, but rather the editorial 'you'. I know :) I just thought I'd give you the reason why I will stick with the single blade.

Not seeing you in the (most recent) 'age poll' in the Swamp, I'm not sure of how you fall on the 'old' scale compared to, say, myself and Stormhammer (sorry to bring you into this :)) ... but stubbornness is an ageless phenomenon :D I'm 28, which probably makes me one of the older folks around here. :)

Originally posted by Blademaster_109
I bet $50 that u single blade guys won't be able to fight off the 6 ppl with sabers changeWell, that's a situation I'll be trying to avoid anyway, regardless of what saber I use.

Originally posted by Rumor
i r scerd :D
 Agen
07-04-2003, 3:12 PM
Originally posted by the_havoc
Crap , I though the dual and saberstaff would be more popular . Well i will have to decide between a single blade , or dual sabers.

pssssst.. That's a good thing :D We don't wanna see 20 maul wannabes in every server we goto.
 babywax
07-04-2003, 8:04 PM
No maul wannabee's, you can only be female zabrak :D
I'll be a Kel Dor using an orange lightstaff, pack your bags, you have a one way ticket to reincarnation as a caterpillar.

EDIT: I accidentally voted for single bladed saber, take one from single and add one to lightstaff :sweating:
 Chris Johnson
07-04-2003, 9:49 PM
Don't forget, there'll be mods, so there's gonna be male Zabraks sooner or later. :p

So you're gonna be a neutral-ish or Light-side Jedi? I'm questioning it 'cause of the saber color, being Orange, which means you don't devote yourself to the religion of the Force but you do use your powers to fight against evil, yet hard to master and it's rare when human Jedi use 'em.
 babywax
07-04-2003, 11:26 PM
So you're gonna be a neutral-ish or Light-side Jedi? I'm questioning it 'cause of the saber color, being Orange, which means you don't devote yourself to the religion of the Force but you do use your powers to fight against evil, yet hard to master and it's rare when human Jedi use 'em.

Huh?
 Agen
07-04-2003, 11:52 PM
He means he's gonna pick orange so it shows he isn';t light or dark, he assumes red = dark. Blue/Green = light.
Though i'll be a dark greenie ;)
 Chris Johnson
07-05-2003, 12:59 AM
That's not entirely true... I used to go to a website of someone's named Hexx Noku (who for now just has whatever wallpaper he has on for some odd reason), and it had a detailed description of what each of the six lightsaber colors mean. I dunno the exact meanings off the back of my head, forgetting some... A true neutral color is something like Purple or Yellow, Orange is not-as so neutral, more light-sided than dark-sided and fighting evil. Yellow deals more with power, disagreeing with (at least some of) the ways of the Old Republic. Though in some cases, and I believe rare, some Jedi who use it has a mission to die quickly (I.E. Yun)... Well don't jump to conclusions, remember Kyle Katarn? He'd have more of a yellow or purple saber IMHO, if not an orange one one like in MotS, as yellow mainly deals with power (and is neutral, or a color where the Jedi, light dark or just neither, is confused on what path to take), purple is more neutral, impure, and blue is purely good, still learning (or something... Go ask Hexx Noku wherever he may be, I dunno...), red is pure evil, devotion to the dark side, and creating a red-bladed lightsaber takes more power, and the crystals used are synthetic, not natural. Green is a full devotion to the light side of the force, more peaceful too, and sometimes jedi who use it might have a tendancy to go out into a garden or something (just doing my best to recall some of the memory I had on lightsaber colors' meanings)...
 Echuu Shen-Jon
07-06-2003, 2:44 PM
Lightsabre, because I want to use forcepowers, while fighting.
 Ulic Qel-Droma
07-06-2003, 4:02 PM
i acctually think i will use all of them, making diffrent caracthers to test all of the dirffrent abilities they give, and it will add more variation to the game aswell :)
 txa1265
07-07-2003, 1:59 PM
I'm 28, which probably makes me one of the older folks around here. :) ... but also young enough to not be an anachronism like myself (and some others who can remain nameless ;) ) ... look at it this way ... someone quoted my age in the 'age poll' and said something like 'wow, I wish my parents were so cool to be into JKII and stuff like that ...' Yikes! And he wasn't at the youngest end, IIRC :eek:

Ah well, time to go with my wife and kids (5.5 and almost 7) on vacation for the rest of the week ... going here (http://www.storylandnh.com) amongst other stuff (before they're too old ... obviously I'll never be too old ;) ).

Mike
 Prime
07-07-2003, 4:13 PM
... obviously I'll never be too old ;) That's the most important thing! :)
 Echuu Shen-Jon
07-08-2003, 1:33 PM
Originally posted by Ulic Qel-Droma
i acctually think i will use all of them, making diffrent caracthers to test all of the dirffrent abilities they give, and it will add more variation to the game aswell :) What he said. But for my first character I'll use a single lightsabre.
 Borlath Mon
07-08-2003, 2:54 PM
Hi, guys.

First of all, yeah, I'm new to the forums, so I'm not quite sure of what's been spoken of before, but I'd just like to raise a quick point. The thread here has gone from "what type of sabre" to "what colour sabre", and I couldn't help but wonder if anyone else had noticed that, for the dual sabres, at least, there hasn't been a single screenshot/part in the trailer where both dual sabres being used by a skin had the same colour. They've been orange and purple, or green and blue. Sure, in Episode 2, Anakin used a green and blue sabre against Count Dooku, but that was only because Obi-Wan's sabre was green when he passed it to Anakin.
 Prime
07-08-2003, 3:51 PM
A good observation, but I suspect that you'll be able to select the colour of all your sabers, either different or the same. If not, mods will make so you can in no time.

Welcome to the forums, by the way :D
 Borlath Mon
07-08-2003, 3:54 PM
Thanks. :)

In all fairness, I suspect that the dual sabres were kept different colours to 'show them off' more during the demos and screenshots, so observers would be able to tell them apart easier. Although it -would- be a let down to have them different colours. I'm rather partial to purple.
 <JOTD>Jedi Hunter
07-08-2003, 7:35 PM
I think I'd stick with a single saber. I don't need to to open up on someone. ;)
 Rockstar
07-09-2003, 9:46 AM
i think that you should be able to get different coloured sabers for duel sabers.... why not? they are 2 seperate sabers? lol how does colour give you an advantage heheh?

its kinda stupid the extent when episode 1 came out it that every1 had this steriotype of colours
- evil = red
- apprentice = blue
- master = green

however, this obviously was just either chance or because they liked the look of these colours on the 2 jedi. episode 2 cleared this sterio type up well. many of the jedi we saw had different colours, so it was almost irrelevant what colour they used. further more ANIKIN HAS THE GREEN LIGHTSABER and obiwan threw a blue one two him, not the other way around

oops! i babled :o . lol. im a single blader myself, but i say nothin at all wrong with duels having 2 colours :)
 Borlath Mon
07-09-2003, 9:58 AM
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm well aware that colour doesn't affect the blade at all, nor do I mind having two blades of different colours, if that's what it comes down to. But, at the same time, I'd just like some uniformity. Besides, after reading some of these posts, as well as chatting to people in my JK/JO clan, there are many people who place a value on the colour of their lightsabre.

As for who had which sabre, and who threw what...I stand corrected, but it was still a ridiculous fight. If Hayden Christiansen knew anything about sword stage-fighting (or he had been taught by people at LucasArts), they would have been able to do something more than have the majority of the Dooku fight as a series of close-ups, in the X-Files fashion. You know, "let's have all the lights out so the fight looks more impressive". Now, I'm not saying I'm a Sabre expert, nor am I saying I know anything more than basic fencing and kendo stuff, but I found the whole duel to be a let-down, until Yoda showed up. And even then...did Yoda remind anyone else of a JO player with Force Jump up on it's highest setting, using the blue fighting style?
 Rockstar
07-09-2003, 10:18 AM
ok ok ok

there is one veeerry important factor hear. the dude that plays dooku (mental block, i can't remember his name) is 80!! so i dunno if he couldn't done a full paced fight

the duel was poorly directed, i agree. it was great when anikin was spinning with teh 2 sabers but once he hit the lights it was just so poorly done. after anikin was defeated and yoda showed up, i thought the fight was GREAT! the only complaint was that it was so short, but we needed a reason for someone to survive an encounter with yoda lol, so its justifyable, but by no means was yoda crap!!

tho i agree how annoying the camera work was after Hayden cut the lights (its not his choice tho..... we have our great founding farther lucas, who was great but i think has gotten up himself and tried to complex the great starwars saga ....)

i know that in phantom menace the fights were slowed down, but i don't think Lee coulda had the ability to do the moves a full ball saber fight, however, he was fine when he fought the other 2, so i blame lucas
 Borlath Mon
07-09-2003, 12:54 PM
In interesting thing to remember about George Lucas is that, whilst he fully admits that Empire was the best movie so far, he doesn't always relay that he only wrote the story for that movie. He didn't direct it, and unless I'm mistaken, didn't write the screenplay, either.

I think Episode 3 should be done the same way. Otherwise, we're going to have a scene where we discover that Jar-Jar is actually a Jedi, or some other rubbish like that.

Anyway, back to the actual -thread- I enjoy the thought about having dual sabres (as people may have already guessed), however I'll probably be sticking to the single sabre in MP, unless one of the other methods strikes me as better.
 Rockstar
07-11-2003, 2:30 AM
lol at jar jar the jedi! lmao!

yes the fault with the prequals is that they are just really a bit too stupid. i know that its meant to be a fantacy, but the first series was a work of art.. these are just so childish....

looks like the lead is tied with single and duel sabers!!

common single blade !! :D
 Lion275
07-11-2003, 2:46 AM
Single Blade for me, and i quote my Sifu for this one The Simple Done Right Has No Counter
 taekwondo joe
07-11-2003, 12:20 PM
i go for two sabers, but i just have to see how eich saber handels, then go from there, so i cant really tell as of yet
 Borlath Mon
07-11-2003, 1:15 PM
Joe (and others, along the way) have made a good point.

Whilst we all sit here and say which type of sabre we're going to use, we can't honestly be sure. None of us have played the game, and outside of using the "thedestroyer" code in JO (which I won't count as a true double bladed sabre) we don't know how anything will play. Sure, we have the trailer (and pleeeeeease don't have us going onto another conversation about the mystical 2nd Trailer) but we can only see video of the actions, and not the controls used. The single sabre will no doubt retain most of it's JO controls (And I hope, none from JK) but what of the others? I'm aware of various mods for JO that have sprung up recently in an attempt to deal with these issues, but I've been unimpressed.

(Just as a side-note, I don't mean to disparage the work of people who create mods. I love 'em, can't get enough of them...but dual sabres in JO won't work)

Personally, I'm going to reserve judgement in this matter until I actually play the game, and see what the controls are like. When that happens, I'll be more than happy to share my opinions with the rest of you....especially since the UK gets it on September 5th, and the US gets it...the 17th?

...And those are my thoughts on the matter.
 Blademaster_109
07-11-2003, 1:48 PM
Originally posted by Z. [Fett]

same here, just like darth maul- a bada$$
 Rockstar
07-12-2003, 3:58 AM
yeah your right as ofcoarse nobody can know for sure which one they are gonna use, but the whole point of this poll is to see which people fancy at this point in time.
 Anakin Skywalkr
07-12-2003, 4:17 AM
I think I'll master the single saber first...then I'll move on and master the duel sabers. The saber staff doesn't interest me a whole lot...
Page: 1 of 2