Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

New JA movie

Page: 1 of 1
 TheBlueFlamingo
05-22-2003, 2:51 PM
In the movie on the main JKII.net page I saw something interesting. The twelki(whatever) is fighting with two sabers, a yellow one and a blue one, then she puts them together and has a green staff. If I remembe correctly blue and yellow make green. So when you put your sabers together to a staff it combines the colors? ALso right before she combines them the yellow saber looks like its changing length. Interesting. Also, the new HUD has some new colors on it, dont know what they doo, but its more than what we've seen so far.
 TheBlueFlamingo
05-22-2003, 2:54 PM
OK, it might be yellow and purple, i cant tell, its hard to see with the video. And I still dont see and rag doll things going on
 Wacky_Baccy
05-22-2003, 3:19 PM
It's yellow and purple :)
Posted by TheBlueFlamingo
In the movie on the main JKII.net page I saw something interesting. The twelki(whatever) is fighting with two sabers, a yellow one and a blue one, then she puts them together and has a green staff. If I remembe correctly blue and yellow make green. So when you put your sabers together to a staff it combines the colors?Possible, although I don't see any logic in that at all... I think it's more likely that you'll be alowwed to choose the individual colours for the dual sabres, and then a *separate* colour for the lighstaff, even though you can join the two to make it...

ALso right before she combines them the yellow saber looks like its changing length. Interesting.Looking at it closely, I think that's just a perspective change due to the Twi'lek lowering her left arm a little (as if she were switching to a relaxed stance), then raising it again to move into the sabre-joining animation...

Also, the new HUD has some new colors on it, dont know what they doo, but its more than what we've seen so far. The red curve on the left is for your health points, I think... But it looks pretty good to me so far, and I'm sure they'll tweak it a lot befor release :)
 TheBlueFlamingo
05-22-2003, 3:55 PM
Looking at it closely, I think that's just a perspective change due to the Twi'lek lowering her left arm a little (as if she were switching to a relaxed stance), then raising it again to move into the sabre-joining animation...

Yeah, I was thought about just a perspective change after I posted and watched it a few times. Didnt notice it.

Looks fun.

Can't wait.
 StormHammer
05-22-2003, 5:14 PM
I agree with Wacky on this. :)

As for the HUD...on the left the red band is definitely health - it goes down when she makes that jump down to the bridge. The green outer band is probably shields. The 'meter' on the right-hand side of the screen in blue is probably your Force power.

I hope there's an option to scale the hud down...it's too intrusive at the moment.

Yet another brief look at the game. Good call, and thanks for the heads-up TheBlueFlamingo :thumbsup:
 wassup
05-23-2003, 4:48 AM
Originally posted by TheBlueFlamingo
In the movie on the main JKII.net page I saw something interesting. The twelki(whatever) is fighting with two sabers, a yellow one and a blue one, then she puts them together and has a green staff. If I remembe correctly blue and yellow make green. So when you put your sabers together to a staff it combines the colors? ALso right before she combines them the yellow saber looks like its changing length. Interesting. Also, the new HUD has some new colors on it, dont know what they doo, but its more than what we've seen so far.

I think the green light is because of the overlapping of the 2 beams of light produced by the saber crystals. Each crystal gives off a unique color and a powerful magnet is used to focus the light/plasma (the blade of the lightsaber), so when you combine the sabers into a saberstaff, I think the 2 beams intersect or go through some interaction inside the saberstaff to produce 2 green blades.
 Matariel
05-23-2003, 7:09 AM
i dont think you'll be able to stick two sabers together to make a 'staff', thats not how it works in episode 1 anyway.
The HUD in the video they put out just looks like a developer tool, just a placeholder until they make the final art for it, thats the impression i get. Its big and looks kinda silly in my opinion....i never liked using meters for health/mana in any game anyway, just a percentage will do fine
 Kurgan
05-23-2003, 9:15 AM
Logically, if they're just too seperate sabers that link handles, the colors should remain. If the Lightstaff is a seperate weapon, it could be any color though.

From early reports it sounded like you could change your saber colors on the fly in game. I question whether this feature (in Single Player) will remain, or was just a developer feature in the E3 demo.

Anyway, interesting... I figured it was a later build than the version used for the "official" video on the LucasArts site, since the HUDs were more developed. However, it just looks like the same old stuff, only a different design (big blue things instead of little silver circles).

The big white "bubble" which I assume is an indicator of a "Force Counter" (in SP again, mind you) I thought looked somewhat stupid, but I guess it could be helpful in knowing when you're actually hitting them. Perhaps they will tweak it to make it look better by the time of release.

i dont think you'll be able to stick two sabers together to make a 'staff', thats not how it works in episode 1 anyway.

Keep in mind (this reminds me of the discussion of water shorting out sabers), that it is 50+ years since Episode I and a lot may have changed with saber technology. I don't see why two sabers couldn't be "linked" together through simple interlocking bolts on the ends of the handles. The only thing I object to is the implication that using the Lightstaff limits your force powers. To me this seems like an unnecessary way to try to balance it (will this be true in MP as well?).

Could it be that somehow the Jedi is using the Force to "hold" the two handles together and this is what's limiting his powers? Though this seems like a silly theory, I'm ashamed I thought it up! ; )

I'd much rather have the two be seperate weapons, and make the dual lightsabers simply "faster" and with less blocking ability than the staff. In MP making them seperate weapons would also work to balance, either as pickups, or as something you'd need to allocate addition Saber Attack points to in your force setup.
 Emon
05-25-2003, 10:57 PM
We've seen from the trailer and E3 video that it doesn't limit your Force that much. Besides, it's very difficult to wield a dual blade because of the high risk of killing yourself, so it makes sense to concentrate more on the saber.

Anyways, you can kick with it, which more than makes up for everything else. :cool:
 Matariel
05-26-2003, 2:40 AM
it would be cool if there were a MP mode where there was one less lightsabre than the number of players, and you had to kill someone to get a lightsabre, and if what you guy are saying about the joining of two sabers is true, you could kill someone to make a sabre 'staff', or just use one in each hand :)
a kind of king of the hill gamemode
 Anakin1607
05-26-2003, 2:51 AM
Are there any mirrors for this video? For some reason the German site isn't letting me download.
 Dante_CL
05-31-2003, 12:23 PM
I can't wait it comes out
 boinga1
05-31-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Anakin1607
Are there any mirrors for this video? For some reason the German site isn't letting me download.
I think it's the same video as the one on www.jk2files.com)
 Burrie
06-01-2003, 1:01 PM
Mmmm, I've been rather curious about this twin-lightsabers-to-light-staff weapon, and hope that it was only in there for Beta purposes only...

However, I would also like to point everyone to the Lucasarts logo at the begin of the Jedi Academy trailer(and viewable at the E3 site)... what does it show the Golden Man doing? That's right, starting with two lightsabers in his hand, then pulling it together to form a lightstaff.

I really wonder if it'll be a new weapon... it's an interesting concept, but I would really like to see how they'll handle it storywise.
 MattJedi
06-01-2003, 1:33 PM
In single player I won't mind at all if they make the lightsabers interchangable but for multiplayer I think it would be best if they remained seperate weapons.
 Rockstar
06-05-2003, 11:42 AM
that makes NOOOO sense

Darth Maul's sabre is TWO SABRES JOINED TOGETHER AT THE HILTS, thats the exact thing i read in an official book

you cannot join 2 2gether

when darth maul uses his sabre one ended (which makes more sense for 1v1 combat) he is still using the same sabre at the end (or 2 joined sabres lol). he just doesn't ignite the second side.

........ how they came up with that crap i dunno......
Page: 1 of 1