Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Search for WMDs ends

Page: 1 of 1
 C'jais
05-12-2003, 10:12 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3018063.stm)

US arms experts 'leaving Iraq'

Iraq was suspected of possessing chemical weapons
The United States force directing the search for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq is pulling out, according to The Washington Post.

The 75th Exploitation Task Force is dismantling its operations for a likely departure in June, says the newspaper, after the group failed to find any biological and chemical weapons.

Members of the team told the newspaper that they no longer expected to find such stocks, and that they had consistently found targets identified by Washington to be inaccurate, or to have been looted and burned.

The force will hand over to a new team, the Iraq Survey Group.

But, according to the Washington Post, the number of weapons experts in the new outfit has been significantly reduced and some units have already sent home as many as a third of their original complement.

"We thought we would be much more gainfully employed, or intensively employed, than we were," said Navy Commander David Beckett of the Defence Threat Reduction Agency.

Evidence 'important'

US President George W Bush and British Prime Minister Tony Blair had used the alleged threat posed by Iraq's suspected weapons of mass destruction as the main justification for waging war.

Correspondents say that while the failure to discover such weapons may not matter to many Americans, in Europe - where many people strongly opposed the war - the issue is likely to become a political one.

Last week, the commander of UK forces in the Iraq conflict Air Marshal Brian Burridge said he had "no doubt" that evidence of the weapons would be found.

He accepted that it was "very important" that such proof was uncovered, in order to show the public the concerns that prompted the war were genuine.

However, Army Colonel Richard McPhee, who will close down the task force next month, told the Washington Post if Iraq thought of using such weapons, "there had to have been something to use. And we haven't found it".

"Books will be written on that in the intelligence community for a long time," he added.

Army Colonel Robert Smith, who leads the site assessment teams from the Defense Threat Reduction Agency, said task force leaders no longer "think we're going to find chemical rounds sitting next to a gun." He added, "That's what we came here for, but we're past that."

The UK's dossier on Iraq's banned weapons (Al-Hussein missiles)
US Central Command began the war with a list of 19 top weapons sites - only two remain to be searched.

Another list enumerated 68 top "non-WMD sites," without known links to special weapons but judged to have the potential to offer clues. Of those, the tally at midweek showed 45 surveyed without success.

"Why are we doing any planned targets?" said Army Chief Warrant Officer Richard L Gonzales, leader of Mobile Exploitation Team Alpha, reports the Washington Post.

"Answer me that. We know they're empty."

...So, it was a moral war instead?
 Dagobahn Eagle
05-12-2003, 11:01 AM
What bugs me is we knew that before the war. Dubya just wouldn't listen.
 Jah Warrior
05-19-2003, 7:36 PM
lol, they'll find some of these WMD's I'm sure they are on the way form teh states so that they can be "planted" as we speak.
 Zodiac
05-19-2003, 11:14 PM
LOL Jah Warrior!

weird thing is... I actually think it's very possible that that might happen :(
 Jah Warrior
05-19-2003, 11:25 PM
yup governments find a way of being in the right when they are wrong...:rolleyes:
 Sivy
05-19-2003, 11:36 PM
this is what will happen

it will be a series of 'passing the buck'

'Dubya' will say.. "i acted on intelligence given to me by my security staff"

they will say "we acted on intelligence given to us by the NSA"

they will say "we acted on intelligence given to us by the CIA"

they will say "we acted on intelligence given to us by MI6"

they will say "we acted on intelligence given to us by MI5"

and so on.. until it get it get pass down to a postman or someone
 Jah Warrior
05-19-2003, 11:44 PM
lol it will probably end up being my fault knowing my luck :( :D

*knock at door*

HEEEELLLLPPPP!!!!! they found me.
 ShadowTemplar
05-20-2003, 9:16 AM
Irrellevant. The war was illegal, and will remain so regardless of what they do or don't find.
 Jah Warrior
05-20-2003, 9:18 AM
well said templar, I cant wait for the war crimes trials... by that i mean Bushy and Blair's trials.
 ShadowTemplar
05-20-2003, 9:54 AM
Bah, you'll never see those trials. Just like you never saw anyone at Nurnberg who stood accused of nuking Japan.
 Jah Warrior
05-20-2003, 10:02 AM
At last a sane person, so rare to find anyone who agrees with me about hiroshima and nagasaki let alone Bushy and blair.

good on ya Templar, you've restored my faith in humanity :)
 C'jais
05-20-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by ShadowTemplar
Bah, you'll never see those trials. Just like you never saw anyone at Nurnberg who stood accused of nuking Japan.

How about the senseless bombing of Dresden?

150.000 civilian casualties.
 Jah Warrior
05-20-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by C'jais
How about the senseless bombing of Dresden?

150.000 civilian casualties.

and the blitz of london...

If it were up to me any civilian casualties no matter what side of any war should be prosecuted.

hmmmmmz Jais' how about repairations for the Viking's raping & pillaging Of England?
 El Sitherino
05-20-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Jah Warrior
At last a sane person, so rare to find anyone who agrees with me about hiroshima and nagasaki let alone Bushy and blair.

good on ya Templar, you've restored my faith in humanity :) hey what about when i went all skitzo by saying america was ****ed up for bombing japan? i said that quite a while back though but still :mad: :p
 C'jais
05-20-2003, 10:32 AM
hmmmmmz Jais' how about repairations for the Viking's raping & pillaging Of England?

That was just a friendly soccer match...

That got a little too rowdy, hehe...

Now, how about the errrr.... The Swedes! Everybody's got some dirt on those damn swedes!
 El Sitherino
05-20-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by C'jais
That was just a friendly soccer match...

That got a little too rowdy, hehe...

Now, how about the errrr.... The Swedes! Everybody's got some dirt on those damn swedes! heh. well the vikings only pillaged when drought season came and killed their crops. so it was mainly a survival struggle. kind of a them or us. plus england was their main enemy in the 400's and through on to about the 1200's. it was like a huge pissing contest when they battled though(to england and the vikings) they got alittle out of hand
 Breton
05-20-2003, 10:40 AM

Now, how about the errrr.... The Swedes! Everybody's got some dirt on those damn swedes!

Wait a minute...I thought the Swedes only went to Rus...*quickly gets hushed on by C'Jais*...oh, now I remember! Yes, it was the Swedes all the time!

Neh, really though. Raping was illegal in the Viking society. And, where do you think the Englanders got their gold from, eh? They sure didn't find it laying on the ground.
 Jah Warrior
05-20-2003, 10:49 AM
The vikings didnt rape? dont make me laugh.

Its a proven fact that the red haired gene comes from the vikings, it can be traced all the way down the east coast of England and scotland, which is obviously wher they landed. My current girl is a redhead and she forced me to watch a program about this! so there na nana na naaa

errr, our gold came from the Romans, and also Gold was and still is found in Wales. You are right when you say we didnt find it on the ground:- It was in rocks in the Welsh mountains. The royal wedding rings are always made form Welsh gold.

LOL, considering my descendants are african i dunno why i'm sticking up for the Brits... weird.
Page: 1 of 1