Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Twin Peaks

Page: 1 of 1
 spoon_man
05-02-2003, 1:32 PM
I have dedicated the last two weeks of my life to watching every single episode of this unbe-f******-lievable TV series. I became totally obsessed and was almost reduced to tears when I was up to my last VHS tape of it because I knew that it would be all over in a few hours.

David Lynch is a genius. This TV series is perfect in every way. The writing, the acting, the direction all kick f****** ass. . .

In a way this show is a predecessor for shows like the X-Files and The Sopranos. I mean at the time it came out it was the only show that was even close to the darkness of the Sopranos.

The ending was ****ed up. It ended on the biggest down note I have ever seen a TV show end on in my entire life. Lynch was going to make one more season but the jerks at ABC (who also cancelled the Clerks Animated Series) cancelled it.

Pfft! I have nothing more to say. WATCH THE SHOW!
 Oystein
05-02-2003, 3:45 PM
I've wanted to see this show so badly for a long time. When I get some money, I'm gonna buy the DVD. David Lynch seems like a genius. I have to watch all his films.
 elTee
05-02-2003, 6:58 PM
David Lynch is one of those guys who is so far out on the edge that anything he makes is either celebrated or mis-understood. When I first watched Twin Peaks I didn't like it, but I was 11 and I didn't get it. I haven't watched it since.
He directed The Elephant Man though, which is brilliant. One of the best films ever made.
 spoon_man
05-02-2003, 7:21 PM
I first saw the Elaphant Man when I was 11 years old and it just totally blew me away. Probably the first great drama film I'd seen in my life.

Yeah the both of you have to rent out Twin Peaks on DVD.
 scabb
05-02-2003, 8:15 PM
I never really like Twin Peaks, although maybe I was too young at the time like Tones. TV-wise, recently, "Curb Your Enthusiasm" has been airing on BBC4 for about a month or two, and It rules. It probably won't gain much popularity though, Seinfeld never did.

Also, Clerks the animated series didn't really deserve renewing. It was nice, but not brilliant. Then again, if Dilbert could get a second series..

Coincidentally I actually just purchased the Mulholland Drive DVD, as well as Fargo. And Cannibal: The Musical, but ssh.
 elTee
05-02-2003, 8:27 PM
Ooooh, Fargo. I want that a lot, its great. My fave Coen brothers is The Big Lebowski, though - it makes me laugh so much. However... my number one DVD priority is Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas. There's a new R1 version with loads of features, but its Ј25 on import so I'll have to wait. I'm destitute.
 Oystein
05-03-2003, 5:44 PM
Lebowski is so hilarious! Goodman, Bridges and Buscemi are all great! Raising Arizona was pretty funny too. I'm also dying to see all the other Coen movies: Fargo, Barton Fink, Miller's Crossing and so on. Currently, I want to buy all the Tarantino movies on DVD. Jackie Brown Special Edition looks tempting and also Pulp Fiction, but the R1 Reservoir Dogs looks pretty awesome with cool casing. But unfortunately I'm broke right now...
 scabb
05-03-2003, 8:10 PM
All the Tarantino films are going cheap at the moment, at least in the UK. Reservoir Dogs has always been cheap, I got my copy for Ј6 from Play (http://play.com), who deliver to Norway. The Jackie Brown & Pulp Fiction Special Editions are Ј10 and Ј9 respectively, delivered, and Lebowski is only Ј8 too. Cheap site.
 Oystein
05-04-2003, 12:05 PM
Yeah, I've noticed that store. It has got some very nice prices, indeed. I recently bought Lebowski. I'm considering buying the Tarantino Box Set which contains all three. I just hope I don't have to pay VAT, which is 23 % here in Norway!
 ThunderPeel2001
05-05-2003, 6:09 PM
Heh! I'm a HUGE Twin Peaks fan!

~ John
 spoon_man
05-06-2003, 12:40 PM
Hehe I love every single film mentioined in this thread. Specially Fear and Loathing, Terry Gilliam is the only director in the world who could make a good adaptation of that book.

I've watched everything Twin Peaks related except 'Fire Walk With Me' none of my local video stores have it. Well three of them did but they where all mysteriously stolen.
 Oystein
05-08-2003, 3:29 PM
Yeah, you guys have great taste in movies. Another great movie that springs to mind is "Le Fabuleux destin d'Amйlie Poulain" or "The Fabulous Destiny of Amelie Poulain" as it's called in English. Wonderful film about the small things in life.
 elTee
05-09-2003, 1:17 PM
I thought I was a film buff, but I can honestly say I've never heard of that. There's a film called Amelie, thats the closest reference I can think of.
But speaking of French films, the best one ever is Le Grand Bleu (The Big Blue.)
 spoon_man
05-09-2003, 1:35 PM
Jules et Jim! MUTHAF***A!
 ThunderPeel2001
05-09-2003, 4:02 PM
"The Fabulous Destiny of Amelie Poulain" is just called "Amelie" in foreign territories, so you're right, LucasTones!

Other groovy french flicks include: Betty Blue, Delicatesen, the City of Lost Children, The "Three Colors" trilogy, Belle de Jour, Wages of Fear, The Double Life of Veronique, The Vanishing and probably a load more I've never seen! :)

I've never heard of "the Big Blue" either. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. If you've never seen any of the above, I strongly recommend them!

~ John
 Oystein
05-09-2003, 5:43 PM
"Amelie" is actually my first good experience with French films. I've only seen two other French movies, those being Taxi 1 & 2. And they were really awful! I'll keep in mind the movies mentioned above.
 ThunderPeel2001
05-10-2003, 3:53 AM
Delicatesen and the City of Lost Children were both directed by the same guy who did Amelie, they're WELL worth watching! (Although darker in subject than Amelie.)

Oh, and Taxi? I think my friend's two word review sums it up perfectly: "It's rank" :D

~ John
 Oystein
05-10-2003, 8:34 AM
Thanks for the tip. I'll check them out sometime.

I'm gonna watch "Donnie Darko" this weekend. Hopefully the good things I've heard about it is true.
 spoon_man
05-10-2003, 9:18 AM
This is my best thread ever! I love all of you guys!
 Oystein
05-10-2003, 2:00 PM
This is the best thread in the history of Mojo! Never had I thought that I would meet so many movie enthusiasts here. Any of you planning on going to film school? I know I am!
 spoon_man
05-10-2003, 3:34 PM
Yep, I'm definately going to film school.
 scabb
05-10-2003, 6:50 PM
I'm definitely gonna take a few film classes at whatever University I attend, but I wouldn't go the whole hog.
 elTee
05-10-2003, 7:07 PM
Yeah, its a bit late for me to go to film school... besides, I'm happy with a copy of Empire and enough money for the UCI.
The City of Lost Children - I saw that when I was younger, and didn't like it. I think its the first foreign film I ever saw, and I was only 11 and was wary of the dubbing.
The Big Blue is pretty much my favourite film ever, its by Luc Besson of Leon (The Professional in the USA) fame. Its about these two divers, Jacques and Enzo - French and Italian respectively - who travel around beautiful locations entering free diving contests. The "Version Longue" - ie, directors cut* is about 3 hours long, and, uniquely in my experience, you know its that long but still don't want it to end. When it does you just watch it again.

*Luc Bessons two best films (IMO) The Big Blue and Leon were both spoiled by the fact that they were made in the USA. Thats why both have special editions that have loads of extra scenes - the american producers always told him to cut bits.
 ThunderPeel2001
05-13-2003, 8:18 PM
You watched the dubbed version???
 Oystein
05-14-2003, 5:55 PM
He was only 11. Give him a break!
 ThunderPeel2001
05-14-2003, 10:08 PM
No! :D
Page: 1 of 1