Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

language-related "jokes"

Page: 1 of 1
 Branik
05-02-2003, 5:03 AM
I don't actually speak spanish, but I heard that Naranja means Orange. Anybody notice this kind of language-related "jokes"?
 GendoTheGreat
05-02-2003, 5:19 AM
Couldn't tell you, I don't speak Spanish either. Maybe Darth knows. What say you, Darth?
 Darth Eggplant
05-02-2003, 6:23 PM
I will have to ask my spanish speaking friend what it means. I know GF is loaded with spanish references. alot of them used to be at grim fandango central. i know there are man of la mancha references and mexican folk lore references too. orange would be funny, because he was the ships galley crew man. I bet Tall Guy or Metallus might know.
 GendoTheGreat
05-03-2003, 10:02 AM
What about MeddlingMonk? He seems pretty smart. However he seems also to have vanished into the night.
 MeddlingMonk
05-05-2003, 1:49 PM
I'm around. Just busy. Anyway, I don't there there are that many language jokes in GF. (Not that I understand Spanish, either.) But I think that Toto Santos is similar to the Spanish term for All Saints' Day. Copal might have something to do with holy oil or something. That about taps me out. Oh, and Calavera is the word for the little Day of the Dead skeleton dolls. Now I'm tapped out.
 Grim_comician
05-07-2003, 8:22 AM
"Orale" word is a mexican word, but I hasn't completely figured it out what did that mean. Actually, I'm studying spanish. Lambada from the S.S. Lambada is a southamerican dance. Olivia means surely olivetree. Rubacava town exists in our world(I think). "Esa cosa" means "that thing". What can you tell us about Limbo, then?
 anomalousresult
05-07-2003, 12:57 PM
<hi, did post a while back but thort i'd check it out again>

naranja does mean orange
in year 1 when manny picks some bread up he says something like "guess it can't hurt to have a little pan de muertos" bread of the dead. that's got something to do with the festival. toto is what's referred to in the game as a scrimshaw artist. scrimshaw is in reality the art of carving things into bone rather than colouring it as he does. ummm. that's all i can think of atm.
 GendoTheGreat
05-13-2003, 9:24 PM
I'd say "pan de muertos" means "treat" or something along those lines.
 MeddlingMonk
05-14-2003, 2:20 AM
It means bread of the dead, not treat. Hell, Manny even translates it in the game. Muertos comes from the same Latin word that gives English such words as mortician amd mortal.
 GendoTheGreat
05-15-2003, 7:21 AM
Well colour me corrected. (With an azure trim, if you have the time.)
 Sanspoof
05-15-2003, 4:54 PM
An Ofrenda (as in Olivia Ofrenda) is an altar used at the Day of the Dead.

Limones is, quite obviously, Lemons in Spanish.

A glottis is something to do with the neck or throat.

The Lambada is some kind of dance.

Membrillo is a play on something but I can't remember what. I think 'quince' or soemthing.

Calablaza (The nun) means pumpkin.

And also Manny uses a really rude Spanish word (Cabron) when speaking to Dom. In Spain this is a reeeeeeeeeeeally rude word. Obviously Lucasarts didn't think that the Spanish would notice...
 Branik
05-16-2003, 9:57 AM
Just how rude reeeeeeeeeeally rude is? What does it mean?
 Sanspoof
05-17-2003, 11:23 AM
According to GFC, it literally means 'billy-goat' but apparantley it's a bit like f, s, @$$, (Abbreviated) in Spanish :D
 anomalousresult
05-17-2003, 4:03 PM
that's why i said it was bread of the dead. the glottis is the piece of cartilage (the same stuff that's between ball and socket joints in your bones and provides the structure of your ear) that directs food down your oesophagus and air down your trachea. basically it's like a valve that stops food getting into your lungs.
 Jawa Eater
05-27-2003, 2:17 AM
Originally posted by Sanspoof
An Ofrenda (as in Olivia Ofrenda) is an altar used at the Day of the Dead.

Limones is, quite obviously, Lemons in Spanish.

A glottis is something to do with the neck or throat.

The Lambada is some kind of dance.

Membrillo is a play on something but I can't remember what. I think 'quince' or soemthing.

Calablaza (The nun) means pumpkin.

And also Manny uses a really rude Spanish word (Cabron) when speaking to Dom. In Spain this is a reeeeeeeeeeeally rude word. Obviously Lucasarts didn't think that the Spanish would notice...

Hahaha, Yeah, I have a few spanish friends, Cabrone does mean F...Sh.. and all the other foul words you can think of...cpmbined! Accoring to them (my spanish friends) its the best word in their language. :D
 Jman_124
07-04-2003, 2:22 AM
http://www.google.com/language_tools)

Click Spanish-English
 Sanspoof
07-07-2003, 4:37 AM
Hey, Flores (As in Celso) means 'flowers' in Spanish.
 Llopin
07-22-2003, 11:16 AM
I've came to a few conclusions. "Gloton" in spanish means someone who eats a lot, and that might relate to "Glottis". The SS LaMancha is a state of Spain (La Mancha). Lengua is tongue. Membrillo is indeed quince. Puerto Zapato means Shoe Port. The usual long name for Max is "Maximilian" but in GF they use "Maximino". That may be a reference to "Minino", that means cat. Calavera is the head of a skeleton. Salvador is a normal spanish name that means "Saver".
 pleto4_ryan
07-22-2003, 12:41 PM
incridible...(grim still surpises me)
 Dawidos
07-22-2003, 12:58 PM
Me too :)
 Incredible_d
08-19-2003, 12:15 AM
I'm a bit new here (I started posting on Nightlight Productions forums)

Toto Santos is a play on words of "Todos Santos," or All Saints Day, which is closely interrelated with the Day of the Dead. See, the Catholic Spanish put the Aztec Day of the Dead alongside their All Saints Day as a way of "converting the heathens," so to speak.
 Incredible_d
08-19-2003, 12:15 AM
For anybody who gives a care (nobody) my e-mail is the_incredible_d@yahoo.com
 3headedmonkey89
08-20-2003, 12:56 AM
well the calavera one was the only reference i knew, not speaking spanish and all
Page: 1 of 1