Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Happy May Day!

Page: 1 of 1
 Branik
04-30-2003, 5:16 PM
Happy May Day everyone! The lovely time of the year when everybody gets drunk here in Finland. I've only had three beers so far... "burp!" How do you celebrate May Day (or do you) in where ever you come from?:cool:
 Metallus
04-30-2003, 6:04 PM
I don't think many people celebrate May Day in the states. I've heard of it, but I think everyone is too busy getting ready for Cinco de Mayo :D
 Darth Eggplant
04-30-2003, 9:29 PM
ah see cinco de mayo,
it's my momalitas birthday.

although being in Mosscow
a decade ago must have been great
to see all the tanks and missiles go by.

also maypoles
and wiccan chicks,
they rule!:D
 Darth Eggplant
04-30-2003, 9:42 PM
is it Macarana?
or Macarena?
or does anyone care?
 Branik
05-01-2003, 3:37 AM
WTF is Cinco de Mayo? 5th of May?

Besides, May Day doesn't have any kind of political innuendo out here. It only means huge carnevals and drunken students filling the streets in every city.
 scabb
05-01-2003, 5:59 AM
May Day means polling day for us in the UK (I think), it's a riot stepping into one of those porta-cabins and voting for your favourite local candidate (I'll bet).

May Day means people dancing around the May Poler on Blue Peter, brandishing some cloth of some kind and waving it about. And they all have dresses on, and they skip around it, not dance. I think.

I've never heard of Cinco de Mayo though.
 Tall Guy
05-01-2003, 7:37 AM
oh yeah, voting day...i should probably do that...c'mon you lib dems!!
 GendoTheGreat
05-01-2003, 10:31 AM
Yeah, go you grass-eating hippies! Dry hump those trees! Yeah!
 Branik
05-01-2003, 3:57 PM
What's up with this hippie thing? Maypoles and such?:confused:
 Sanspoof
05-01-2003, 4:39 PM
Just as long as I don't see no pricks prancing round a ****ing maypole I'll be fine :D
 Darth Eggplant
05-02-2003, 1:57 AM
sanspoof, branik;
until you've had a few naked
wiccan priestess' dancing round your
poll, you don't know what your missing.:D

well I saw on the tele(quaint brit phrase)
a bunch of euro trash soccer holligans
going all out with law enforcement.
I mean whats up with that?

as for Cinco de Mayo
next to
Dia de los Muertos
it is a great day to celebrate.
yes it translates 5th of May
and not entirely sure whats up with it,
Jofa would know.
anyhow it is a great day for
Nachos, Fahitas, Tacos, Guacamole,
and Tequila! you also play loads of
Santana, Los Lobos, Gypsy Kings,
Los Fabuloso Cadillacs,etc
and you get totally out of control
singing hey! Macarena!
 GendoTheGreat
05-02-2003, 3:50 AM
I think May Day is called Labour Day here.
 Branik
05-02-2003, 4:31 AM
May Day could be called Labour Day also, but since nearly all the communists are gone, it has lost it's meaning (in a political way).

As for the hooligans, I think that's generalization. The Ice Hockey World Championships are now being played here in Helsinki and as far as I've seen, everybody's behaved good. Which reminds me of the great success of the U.S. Team...LOL. The most (soccer) hooligans in Europe come from Great Britain.

From what you've told, the hippie parties sound...interesting. Except that there aren't any Wicca here. Or hippies. What a shame...:(
 GendoTheGreat
05-02-2003, 5:12 AM
What's stopping you from getting drunk and dancing naked around a streetlight? That's what I'm doing.
 Branik
05-03-2003, 4:44 AM
My still present sanity. Aaah... What the hell. It'll probably be more fun than staying indoors all the time and posting here. Except that it's only 5 degrees (celsius) out there.
 Metallus
05-03-2003, 5:40 AM
Originally posted by Darth Eggplant
as for Cinco de Mayo
next to
Dia de los Muertos
it is a great day to celebrate.
yes it translates 5th of May
and not entirely sure whats up with it,
Jofa would know.Cinco de Mayo is a commemoration of the anniversary of la Batalla de Puebla (May 5, 1982), where a small local militia was able to keep the invading French army (under Napolean III) from taking the town of Puebla (somewhere around Veracruz, I'm not exactly sure). The French ultimately won the war and controlled Mexico until Benito Juarez's forces captured Mexico City a few years later, but the battle remains a symbol of Mexican nationalism and pride.

The only thing about this is that it seems like today more people in the United States recognize and celebrate it than do Mexicans (in Mexico). It's often mistaken for Mexican Independence Day, but that's on September 16, of course :).
 Darth Eggplant
05-03-2003, 8:54 AM
thanks for the info. did one of those guys have a wooden leg? I think they did something on him in one of the King Of Hill episodes.
 GendoTheGreat
05-03-2003, 9:54 AM
Originally posted by Branik
...it's only 5 degrees (celsius) out there.

5*C, bah! You are weak. Weak, I say! Bah!
 Branik
05-03-2003, 1:28 PM
Yeah, apparently so. REAL men would of course go out dancing naked in -30 degrees and freeze their nuts off. But for some reason I'm quite fond of my genitalia.:D
 GendoTheGreat
05-03-2003, 9:36 PM
Yeah, I suppose you can't be a real man anyway without the proper bits.
Page: 1 of 1