Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Grim Fandango Background

Page: 1 of 1
 psychomodo
04-29-2003, 9:26 PM
does anybody have urls with relative information about grim fandango?I mean about the story about the 4 years journey of the soul and about the figures (called calaveras as I can remember from the manual)-please post them here-if it has already been discussed just post the link to the other topic
thanx bros..
 Metallus
04-30-2003, 12:42 AM
Welcome to the forums, psychomodo. I'm not entirely sure what you mean in your question though. I'll try to answer an important question that would precede yours, which is "Is there anything in the traditions this game is based on called 'Grim Fandango'?" The answer is no, but the title does bear significance to the actions of the dead in their afterlife, in my opinion.

If you didn't know, the game is based to some extent on Mayan folklore. So to make clearer what I meant earlier is that there is nothing in Mayan or modern Mexican folklore or history directly called a "Grim Fandango".

Although I'm not entirely sure where the title comes from, the only mention of a grim fandango is during one of Olivia's poems that she performs at the Blue Casket (The trendy club in Year 2). Here's the entire thing:Grim Fandango
With bony hands I hold my partner
On soulless feet we cross the floor
The music stops as if to answer
An empty knocking at the door
It seems his skin was sweet as mango
When last I held him to my breast
But now we dance this grim fandango
And will four years before we restI don't think that this poem is that significant to the Mayan theme in the game, but "Grim Fandango" is a good way to sum up the process that the dead must undertake. From the game, it can be seen that the traditions extracted from the Mayan culture showed death to be much like the stages of life, with all the natural rhythms. If life is like a dance, then death must also be a type of dance, however grim.

As for some links about mayan tradition and culture...I'm looking for some, I'll edit the post when I find some decent ones.

EDIT: You were right on about the calaveras though: For those who don't know what he was referring to, check these (http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/travel/jking/dd/fph152jkmuertos1.html) out. Also, here's (http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/Mayapan.html) a breakdown of the Mayan pantheon, and some information (http://www.pantheon.org/areas/mythology/americas/mayan/) on Mayan folklore and mythology.
 Sanspoof
04-30-2003, 4:30 AM
What the hell? I don't get it.
 psychomodo
04-30-2003, 12:02 PM
thanx Metallus ;)
ur links were really helpfull,
One more question..who is robert frost?(year 1 the ballon guy makes a ballon of him)
 Metallus
04-30-2003, 12:29 PM
Robert Frost is a famous American poet who wrote mostly about nature. The balloon didn't look that much like him :D

http://www.americanpoems.com/images/frost.gif)
 morshem
04-30-2003, 12:42 PM
Can anyone explain to me the balloon joke maybe?
 GendoTheGreat
05-01-2003, 6:12 AM
It's a balloon. It's shaped like a profile of Robert Frost. That's the joke.
 morshem
05-01-2003, 6:14 AM
How's it shpaed like Robert Frost? I don't get it... :o
 MeddlingMonk
05-05-2003, 1:54 PM
The joke is that it doesn't look like Robert Frost. That, and if you 'use' it on the pigeons on the roof Manny exlaims, 'Run for you lives! It's Robert Frost!'
 morshem
05-05-2003, 1:55 PM
But why is it shaped so, er... weirdly?
 Metallus
05-05-2003, 3:08 PM
He's smoking a pipe.
 Jawa Eater
05-30-2003, 9:42 PM
Heh, ol' Robert loved his pipes alright.
 Dawidos
09-22-2003, 3:37 PM
Originally posted by Sanspoof
What the hell? I don't get it.

Aztec and Mayan believed that there are nine underworld. Our world is fifth. The first is hell and the last one is final stay for soul - this underworld is similar to our paradise. But I can mistake, because I don't remember this topic very well.
 lil_grim
09-23-2003, 3:13 AM
Who IS Robert Frost
 VampireNaomi
09-23-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by lil_grim
Who IS Robert Frost

I don't know, but I think he has something to do with poems.
 Sanspoof
09-23-2003, 4:47 PM
Oh, riiiiiiiight.

But if this the fifth underworld, and the last bit's the ninth underworld, with the bit before that (Grim Fandango) the eight underworld, how come people shoot from fifth to eighth? And where do demons come from? Maybe something lower than five?
 Dawidos
09-23-2003, 7:12 PM
I don't know, ask the Mayan ;). I said I don't remember this topic very well, so maybe I wrong. Demons is the elemental spirit Land of the Dead - Glottis said that, when he met Manny in garage.

how come people shoot from fifth to eighth?

by sixth and seventh :D ? We don't know what happened with souls in this underworlds. Grim Fandango doesn't give us answer on this question.

Greetings
 lil_grim
10-07-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Dawidos
I don't know, ask the Mayan ;). I said I don't remember this topic very well, so maybe I wrong. Demons is the elemental spirit Land of the Dead - Glottis said that, when he met Manny in garage.

by sixth and seventh :D ? We don't know what happened with souls in this underworlds. Grim Fandango doesn't give us answer on this question.

Greetings

i hope they manage to show more abouth the different worlds in Grim Fandango 2
 lil_grim
10-07-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Metallus
He's smoking a pipe.
how do u know that his smokin a pipe
 Dawidos
10-07-2003, 2:05 PM
i hope they manage to show more abouth the different worlds in Grim Fandango 2

But Grim Fandango 2 probably won't rise :(
 amadeus
10-07-2003, 7:43 PM
Because he has a pipe sticking out of his mouth. Look at the balloon. It's there. Look closer. That's it.
 lil_grim
10-07-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Dawidos
But Grim Fandango 2 probably won't rise :(
Maybey but theres a big chance that it will release though
 Lemon Head
10-07-2003, 10:27 PM
Maybe but theres a big chance that it will release though
Not a big chance, but a chance all the same
 lil_grim
10-07-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Lemon Head
Not a big chance, but a chance all the same
Actually its more than likely
 Lemon Head
10-07-2003, 10:32 PM
Actually its more than likely
if you insist
 Thrik
10-08-2003, 12:34 PM
Well actually, it's extremely unlikely.

Firstly, Grim Fandango did not do very well in terms of profit, so there is no great financial incentive for LucasArts to develop a sequel if it's going to do just as badly.

Secondly, Grim Fandango's storyline is a closed tale. There isn't really any way that it can be continued without using another character. Let's face it, no matter how hard we try there is no way to continue Manny's quest if he's passed to what is basically heaven - it'd just be pathetic.

I personally cannot see why or how they would continue it. It's a perfect game as it is, a sequel is beyond unnecessary.
 Bushmeister
10-08-2003, 4:40 PM
No sequel please, for the reasons Thrik has stated.
 Anomonous Guy
10-08-2003, 7:40 PM
Yes no sequel... un less it is REALLY good... I would rather let my imagination think of what happens in the first game :)
The fact that Manny is an entreupeneur means that by now he probably owns the 9th underworld :D
Also, someone said something about 6th and 7th underworld... well, i dont think there is one, at least not in respect to the game, since they go from 5th to 8th (as is seen near the beginning of the game when the guy is released from the cocoon thingy...
If that guy had gone to a 6th or 7th underworld, then he definately didnt remember it :)
 lil_grim
10-09-2003, 8:45 AM
Originally posted by Thrik
Well actually, it's extremely unlikely.

Firstly, Grim Fandango did not do very well in terms of profit, so there is no great financial incentive for LucasArts to develop a sequel if it's going to do just as badly.

Secondly, Grim Fandango's storyline is a closed tale. There isn't really any way that it can be continued without using another character. Let's face it, no matter how hard we try there is no way to continue Manny's quest if he's passed to what is basically heaven - it'd just be pathetic.

I personally cannot see why or how they would continue it. It's a perfect game as it is, a sequel is beyond unnecessary.

Good Point bye the way i like your general skarr pic i am a big fan of grim and evil;)
 Dawidos
10-09-2003, 1:35 PM
Originally posted by Bushmeister
No sequel please, for the reasons Thrik has stated.

No sequel, so prequel :).
Page: 1 of 1