Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

what is E3? and an interview (nothing special)

Page: 1 of 1
 SlapNut
04-29-2003, 2:41 AM
ive heard the word E3 thrown around alot when it comes to gaming, here is a quote:
"Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy is scheduled for release later this year. More details on the game are expected to come at next month's E3."

the rest of the intervie can be found at:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/jediacademy/news_6025905.html)

but i got no idea what E3 mean, is it a magazine? that i wanna get?
 Man_with_saber
04-29-2003, 2:48 AM
Electronic Entertainment Exposition I think it is. Big video gaming to do in L.A. every year.
 SlapNut
04-29-2003, 2:52 AM
DAM, wish i could be an American nerd.
 wassup
04-29-2003, 3:28 AM
Originally posted by SlapNut
DAM, wish i could be an American nerd.

I hope that was a joke...otherwise :tsk:
 HertogJan
04-29-2003, 5:11 AM
Electronic Entertainment Expo, yes :) It's held in may and it's the most important games expo I think... All the big developers/publishers/hardware manufacturers have a stand there!
 StormHammer
04-29-2003, 6:01 AM
Originally posted by HertogJan
Electronic Entertainment Expo, yes :) It's held in may and it's the most important games expo I think... All the big developers/publishers/hardware manufacturers have a stand there!

:wstupid:

And for anyone who requires further information, why not visit the official E3 website (http://www.e3expo.com).

Thanks for the link to the interview. :thumbsup:
 PrimoSidone
04-29-2003, 6:27 AM
Whats rag doll death?
 StormHammer
04-29-2003, 6:45 AM
Originally posted by PromoSidone
Whats rag doll death?

I take it you haven't played Unreal Tournament 2003?

Basically, in a lot of games when a character dies, there is a preset death animation that it will follow. Also, you may notice in some games that a character could fall at the top of a flight of stairs...and have half their body hanging into space, which looks pretty silly.

Rag doll does away with that. The system takes over when a character dies, and they fall down in more natural (and randomised) ways. They will also fall properly down a flight of steps, tumbling over as they go. It's called rag doll because it's just like tossing a rag doll toy around.

Hope that helps. ;)
 PrimoSidone
04-29-2003, 8:49 AM
Like the stormtroopers in JO?
 Mero Vilul
04-29-2003, 8:51 AM
And having rag dolls for people dying are the ultimate way of enjoying your victories... It's a must nowadays for me to fully enjoy killing other people, UT2003 brainwashed me... I can jump down holes for hours just looking at myself dying....

Force grip someone... he dies... watch him fall down on hes knees, then backwards, hes back cracks at the small lowering in the floor right behind him... Then you force push the body into the wall... Can it be better?
 StormHammer
04-29-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by PromoSidone
Like the stormtroopers in JO?

I believe those death animations were all predetermined. Each dead may have seemed random because they introduced a variety of different death animations...but for each animation the ST goes through the same motions.

With rag doll effects, how the character falls and interacts with objects in the environment as they fall, is completely randomised. Usually the dev would put some kind of constraints on joints to ensure arms and legs don't simply bend or fold back in unrealistic ways.

You really need to look at a game like UT2K3 to get a better idea of the effect. Why not try the demo, and have a bot match?

I love the way enemies twitch and spasm on the ground when hit by things like lightning... I know...sick I am. ;)

Mero Vilul...yes, I can very much imagine how it would be in JA if they included it. :)
 taekwondo joe
04-29-2003, 1:05 PM
ut2003 is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the ragdoll ephics, lol, i too do nothen but watch my charictor fall down a whole, were he hits bars and such on his way down, its so dang awsome!

ps: nothen like the st's in JO, although great death animations, they are just that, death animations, rag doll is way better
 Man_with_saber
04-29-2003, 1:07 PM
SlapNut, I just noticed you're from Perth. I went to school at Wembley Downs primary many years ago. Do they still cane kids there in Perth?
 PrimoSidone
04-29-2003, 2:55 PM
Just played UT2k3 i know what u mean.
 Taos
04-29-2003, 2:58 PM
This one has had it's time.....
Page: 1 of 1