Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Espionage anyone?

Page: 1 of 1
 Dark Moon
04-28-2003, 2:57 PM
If you think about it for a second, spies and the like could be a very interesting profession group. Both factions, in this state of the galaxy, have the use for spies to gain "information" about the other faction, and this feature could be used by PAs as well. Spies could have special abilities such as lockpicking doors, changing their appearance, disguising their species, easily mastering new languages and the like. Spies would receive missions such as having to track an NPC to a secret meeting place, and then hiding in that meeting place to record confidential information. As characters gained experience in the spy skill tree, they could gain access to special spy vehicles, disguises, and technology. That would be kind of neat, what do you think?
 UnfrozenCaveman
04-28-2003, 5:01 PM
Yeah, it would be cool. You should talk to D_S about this, he seems to have a "huge" PA. In his PA "dark sovreignty", each member belongs to another PA, and they are like spies. So it's like a black government behind the scenes pulling strings of a regular government, in theory that is. I don't know how well this'll work once the game is launched.
 waffleman
04-28-2003, 6:14 PM
Oooh, that sounds fun, must be tough to keep that in order since I think you can only join one faction at a time. I get it, you join once these dark people, then you leave, join another PA, get info, leave then join back up with the dark guys again! Its really good idea. Thats it, I trust no one now.
 UnfrozenCaveman
04-28-2003, 7:07 PM
Well, I think how it works is that you join your PA while you are secretly a part of DS. Whatever, it doesn't matter, I'm in =A= and I think it's an absurd idea to try and have a covert PA.
 Dark Moon
04-28-2003, 7:38 PM
Heh, yeah, I can see whole groups of "information broker" PAs popping up if GSW had a spy profession. This would work best with two PAs in a big PA war, and one could pay the information broker PA to find information about the other PAs members, sources, resources, etc. That kind of profession would probably work best with NPCs though. Hiding behind boxes at a rebel trade post and recording all of their weapons shipments so the empire can take an especially good one, or rebels spies placing vidcams in mouse droids and capturing information at high security meetings...
 setsuko
04-28-2003, 7:52 PM
There was a profession like this some until months ago, the slicer. Then the devs took a long look at it, and realized it boiled down to: can pick locks. And since stealing is not a part of the game, the profession simply became so insanely gimped compared to the other professions that it's silly. So the confidently discarded the idea.
 Jan Gaarni
04-29-2003, 3:46 AM
As a profession that is.

It's now just a skill.
 Dark Moon
04-29-2003, 3:16 PM
Hmmm... slicing as a skill... Would slicers be able to do things like hack into spaceports and alter passenger lists to gain passage to other worlds? Or possibly forge ID cards to get into restricted areas?
 Jackrabbit
04-29-2003, 7:32 PM
In "real life", yes. In the game, maybe. Not sure if those two things are possible.
 Exar_reborn
04-29-2003, 10:19 PM
Bothan spy/merc here hoping anyway. I have to see what fits the best and what the PA would need (if they accept me that is) =A= has a new way to choose.
 setsuko
04-29-2003, 10:35 PM
We don't, however, choose our members by what professions they want to try. It's more like "is this guy ok, or is he a raving lunatic? And if so, is he a funny raving lunatic, or just giving us headaches?". ;)
 UnfrozenCaveman
04-30-2003, 11:39 AM
Lol Set- Exar, you in =A=? Or "on the waiting list"?
 Jan Gaarni
04-30-2003, 12:40 PM
He's in. :)
 UnfrozenCaveman
04-30-2003, 12:45 PM
That's great! We now are quite a large PA- and think if ALL our members were active.
 waffleman
04-30-2003, 2:59 PM
That would be spooky, all of one bigPA on one planet. It would almost seem like you owned it( or at least a city)
 Dark Moon
04-30-2003, 3:19 PM
That would be pretty neat, the PA making its own government and everything and almost controlling the planet. They'd have to be fair though, or they might get banned for trying to take control of the game ;)
 Sunshine Badass
04-30-2003, 10:25 PM
I doubt you would get banned for taking control of Corellia within the limits of the game. If you were that good, then you should revel in your success at ruling an entire planet in-game. Now that is powerful. :D
 Jackrabbit
04-30-2003, 10:30 PM
I wonder if they'll put a limit on a PA's power. I mean, wouldn't it mess with continuity if a PA "owned" a planet?
 Sunshine Badass
04-30-2003, 10:34 PM
Well, there are places on Corellia where you will absolutely be RESTRICTED from building on. So that leaves room for Rebel and Imperial bases so that continuity is not mesed with. In later patches and expansions, they will be adding TOTALLY new planets that are Rebel, Imperial, Nuetral, or Wilderness (Meaning that they can NOT be built on at ALL).

So a PA can "own" a planet, but for continuity, they MIGHT have to wait for expansion planets that have no restriction due to continuity. :D :D :D
 setsuko
05-01-2003, 7:43 AM
There are already planets where you cant build. Endor comes to mind.
 UnfrozenCaveman
05-02-2003, 1:16 PM
Yeah, we could enslave the ewoks to mine minerals for us. Haha, a lot like that simpsons episode where they go to Afrique and that chimp lady uses the monkeys to get diamonds.
 Deft Aklin
05-02-2003, 2:10 PM
Wow, look at this, I'm getting plugs from other PAs now. Thanks. ;P

Anyway, this was our original plan, but we also wanted the benefits of a real PA, so in essence, we have changed to an all encompassing PA so that we can be a true presence in the SWG universe. However, this is not to say that we don't have an intelligence division, but they are our elite members. You can not apply to join this division, you can only be invited. :D

We have actually created a rank structure that promotes character advancement for excellent RP. We want to encourage RP amongst our members. If anyone likes the sound of this, then PM or e-mail me.

Dark Sovereignty is an Imperial Sympathetic Neutral PA on the Starsider server. We will be located on Corellia in or near Coronet.
 Dark Moon
05-02-2003, 3:27 PM
Is it just me, or is the recruiting forum there for recruiting or what? No offense Darth_Sidious, but try to keep it contained ^_^
 Sunshine Badass
05-02-2003, 7:53 PM
Poor D_S... he attacks your better judgement. :eek:
 Deft Aklin
05-07-2003, 1:54 AM
Well,
*flexes his new mod muscles*
Heheheh.
Okay, so I can't do anything about it, but I can still flex right. ;)

You're right of course, I did plug the PA a little much. Heh, can't blame me for being an enthusiastic leader can you?
 Jodo Baas
05-07-2003, 12:10 PM
*blinks*

Dark Soveringty? Spying?

Whatever gave you that idea? :D
Page: 1 of 1