Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Many many errors

Page: 1 of 1
 Makalasa
04-20-2003, 11:00 AM
Hello!
Well, long ago, i bought Grim Fandango.
I played, and i noted several graphic glitches, like weird colors and scenario parts above manny, stuff like that.
However i could survive to year one, but in year 2, there are many graphic glitches, and when i try to save game after entering to the blue casket, i get expulsed from the game.
Also, sometimes when i use the . to pass a text, it expulses me too.
Ive discarded the next reasons
-System requirements: the option that checks all the system requirements says everything is passed
-Broken CDs: i borrowed it to some friends and it worked on their pcs, and i also buyed new cds
-Patch: ive tried to patch it with the patch, but it doesnt makes a diference
-Too many secondary programs opened: i use control+alt+delete and i close almost every program, but it doesnt makes a diference, even when other programs works
-Wrong desk config: i try 16 bit resolution, 800x600, 1024x786 and tried with many others
please help me cause i really wanna play this cool game of LA

ty and bye
 scabb
04-20-2003, 7:38 PM
Then you should also try:

Operating System
-Upgrade it! Get the latest service pack blah blah etc

DirectX (Non-XP only)
-Uninstall it, and re-install the version on the disc! For details on how to uninstall it, see here (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92865)*)

CPU
-If it's over 1ghz, then this problem may derive from Grim despising your ultra-fast processor. Get CPU Killer (http://www.cpukiller.com/products/cpukiller/)

CD-related problem?
-Copy all the files on your CD to your hard drive.**
-Now click "Start -> Run", type "regedit" and hit Enter.
-Browse to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC\Grim Fandango\v1.0\
-Right click and select "New String Value". Name it "good_times". Now double click it and type "TRUE" in the Value field. The game will now run from your Hard-drive, and this could potentially solve your problems.

*There is an unproven theory that DirectX 8.1 is the cause of Grims troubles, and also some talk as to whether it may be an incompatibility with nVidias graphic cards. If you have XP, you can't downgrade from DirectX 8.1, as that's standard. Also, if you can't run Grim Fandango from the pop-up splash screen, try running it by double-clicking "GrimFandango.exe" in the default Grim directory.

**If you can't do it in explorer, try using Isobuster (http://download.com.com/3000-2248-10152507.html?tag=lst-0-1) to rip the files (Right click file -> Extract Raw Data)
 GendoTheGreat
04-21-2003, 10:53 PM
You could also try downloading DirectX 9.0a updating your drivers etc., but it sounds to me like you've gotten hold of a piss-poor pirate copy of the game. Either that, or your system itself is ****ed all to hell.
 Darth Eggplant
04-22-2003, 11:16 PM
the only really wierd thing
i find in year two is exiting
the cat track. if you are manny (
and we all are) you go down the staircase
you take a left to leave the cat track;
and the next sceen is outside with
the stairs and door behind you.
instead of manny being facing out
towards you, with the door behind him,
he is still walking left.
small but there it is
i also would have loved to have sceen
skeleton dogs running up to you
and trying to steal your leg bone.
or having manny fall from the ledge
of the DOD and fall to pieces
only to be put together by a DOD demon
like Brenis, *complaining all the while*
 ZaXeriaw
04-24-2003, 2:12 PM
I got the same strange colors, but that was on my old computer, and they wasn't funny...
 GendoTheGreat
04-25-2003, 4:41 PM
Your computer wouldn't be a Compaq or a Dell, would it?
 Grim_comician
04-26-2003, 8:47 AM
Have you disabled 3d graphics? It often becomes minor errors by advanced graphics, except for Playstation 2.
 Sanspoof
04-26-2003, 10:44 AM
I have loadsa problems in Year 2. The game just crashed several times after the scene where manny leaps to try to get onto the ship. You just see manny standing there and velasco sitting there and you hear some sea noises but it's frozen and you have to restart the computer.

Another problem I once had was a mistake when, after you talk to the waiter and he heads out, if you talk to Olivia straight afterwards and not go into the serving area the camera cuts to the serving area where the waiter knocks out that beatnik and manny watches. Then when you cut back to Olivia, manny STAYS in that area and you can't see where he's going when you move him.
 ZaXeriaw
04-26-2003, 10:51 AM
Ive also tryed that I couldnt see manny, but it was in year 4, when you should use the grinder on the sprautella. The only think you can do, try to direct manny to another screen, then he will show him self again :)
 AnxiousApe
05-18-2003, 12:09 PM
The only problems I've had are getting stuck in doorways, especially the tubing room! It took me ages to get out of that room :D
 pggmilltn
06-16-2003, 11:42 PM
It looks like I found the problem for the game freezing a few minutes into the game. I tried to copy the CD to my harddrive when ISObuster said the Section 276628 can't be read. What should I do?
Page: 1 of 1