Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Why does everybody go on about Boba Fett?

Page: 1 of 1
 CurryKing
04-18-2003, 9:53 AM
I have been to a lot of different forums and people are always going on about Boba Fett being so cool and a great character etc, but he hardly did anything in the films? he just had a comical death.

Am i missing something? Can someone explain this to me?
 leXX
04-18-2003, 11:45 AM
People have all different reasons for loving a certain character no matter how small their part. It's all the about the background story. Look at Aayla Secura for example, if you blink you miss her, but she has a huge fan base including myself. She has a great EU background story.

Boba Fett is popular for many different reasons. His ship, his weapons, being a bounty hunter just for starters. He has a big EU background story and appears in many books and comics.

It doesn't matter how small a characters part is in Star Wars, they will instantly get their very own fan base.

Having said all that, I prefer Jango myself. :D
 Taos
04-18-2003, 12:08 PM
I don't really know myself.....I think some of the EU stuff about him is quite stupid [ie. the invincible boba fett or the cloned one or whatever :rolleyes:]

Like leXXy, I really like Jango....he's much cooler IMHO. :)
 Lynk Former
04-18-2003, 12:21 PM
Jango is only kewler cause he had more to do in Ep2 then Fett had to do in ESB and RoTJ
 Wraith 8
04-18-2003, 6:33 PM
yeah its the costume... chicks dig the costume :p ;) i never really LOVED him.. but i thought he was pretty cool :D
 ckcsaber
04-18-2003, 9:54 PM
A lot of people love Boba Fett because he left so many different possibilities open. Like did he really disenegrate his prey? How did he get those Wookie scalps? How does he know Vader?

He was the first real character who gained a serious EU history.
 SE_Vader_536
04-22-2003, 12:35 PM
his death was not comical because he didnt die! he escaped the sarlaac pit and persued han and leia several years later during dark empire.
 boinga1
04-22-2003, 6:59 PM
Officially....he died. End of statement.
 CurryKing
04-23-2003, 8:38 AM
Originally posted by SE_Vader_536
his death was not comical because he didnt die! he escaped the sarlaac pit and persued han and leia several years later during dark empire.

Yeah apparently as far as GL is concerned he died in the Sarlacc pit, i know the EU contradicts this but GL dosen't care for the EU, only what happens in the movies is official.
 Lynk Former
04-23-2003, 9:30 AM
Originally posted by Wraith 8
yeah its the costume... chicks dig the costume :p ;) i never really LOVED him.. but i thought he was pretty cool :D

are you trying to say you got a sex change wraithy?
 SettingShadow
04-23-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by SE_Vader_536

Thats whats stated in the EU.. wich is based on certain peoples thoughts, not what GL thinks.

'Hey, I'm a big Boba Fett fan, so now I bring him back from the dead by saying he killed the sarlacc and was saved by Dengar.'

Thats like putting Darth Vader back to the living... almost.
 SE_Vader_536
04-23-2003, 12:05 PM
EU also says emperor did not die in rotj.... something about having his dark energy transported to a clone made for him after being thrown in the shaft by vader:D .
 CurryKing
04-23-2003, 12:13 PM
Yeah thats on the star wars website under the databank on the emporer's section, but again, as far as GL is concerned the Emporer died and with him the extinction of the Sith forever!!

Still, the Eu gives an interesting spin on things.
 Lynk Former
04-24-2003, 3:46 AM
btw just cause something might be on SW.com doesn't mean Lucas accepts it :lol:
 Wraith 8
04-24-2003, 4:05 PM
Originally posted by Lynk Former
are you trying to say you got a sex change wraithy? LOL.. No ofcourse not.... i just said it because thats why a lot of people like him :D never seen the batman movies did yah lynk? :D

its the car right... chicks love the car :D
 lukeiamyourdad
04-26-2003, 12:08 AM
LOL!

Back on topic

Boba had a really cool costume...come on i'm sure you'll have plenty of chicks if you're the galaxies most dangerous Bounty:D .
 Rogue15
04-26-2003, 9:16 AM
Boba Fett is just damn awesome. His suit is all beaten up, and he has all those cool gadgets and he's a bounty hunter, and is just plain awesome!!!!

*mad at self for not buying stand up poster of him for $30 at the mall yesterday*
 dark jedi 8
04-28-2003, 7:53 PM
but does it really matter if GL accepts it or not, the death of boba or the emperor. everyone is entitled to their opinion. since we didn't see the sarlacc actually kill boba, it can be open for EU. same goes for the emp. in terms of, was he powerful enough to become " one with the force." this is all my opinion though. i think this is why when a character in the PT dies, it is certian. ie. decapitation, cut it half, kinda thing.

anyway, i think boba is damn cool, though not as cool as jango. IMO.:)
 WJTW
05-08-2003, 9:55 AM
I like some Eu books, but most just ruin the film. Vader brought balance to the Force, and yet, those damnable EU authors just have to bring out new Sith or have a cloned Emperor! This completely downgraded the significance of that act in ROTJ!

I think Lucas got wiser, and decided that "once I kill a character, I really mean it.". That is why he had the characters dismembered, decapitated, stabbed, etc.

Oh, and Boba's dead. Final. Only in the fake world of EU does Boba lives. That is like a dream versus real life.

WJTW
 Lynk Former
05-08-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by WJTW
I like some Eu books, but most just ruin the film.

If you follow the movies, ignore EU, if you like it all, go for everything. EU is just for those who can't get enough out of the movies and want more... MORE... MORE!!!
 Sam Fisher
05-19-2003, 10:33 AM
Jango and Boba are just cool. Because.
 Wraith 8
05-20-2003, 7:23 PM
Originally posted by SamFisher
Jango and Boba are just cool. Because. wow that were some really good arguments about this whole thing... i think you convinced me :D ;) :p
 Lynk Former
05-20-2003, 11:42 PM
He must be the son of a politician :p
 benTantilles
05-21-2003, 11:10 AM
re: continuity vs canon
here we go again...yes, star wars is george lucas' brainchild- but does that mean that all material developed by other parties is redundant? that depends...imo, the answer is NO. it IS safe to say, tho, that the eu doesn't correspond much with lucas' vision 4 the sw universe(...but then again, how far did he think ahead?) but that in no way negates the things told in the eu. lucas is, after all, responsible for establishing the eu...had he wanted to be the only source for sw material, he wouldn't have permitted zahn to write the thrawn trilogy, nor would he have allowed the eu to develop at all. The expanded universe isn't just some half-baked idea concocted by a team of authors & comic scripters...it's OFFICIAL.
sure, canon takes precedence over continuity...but that doesn't mean that contiuity has no importance whatsoever. it's just means that should the canon say something and the continuity another, what the canon says goes. of course, things like this rarely happen and are usually covered up by continuity patches or fixes to preserve the flow. so yes, boba's still alive. his resurrection was...plausible. and if george's people didn't like the idea, they would've axed it (let's not forget that all eu stuff has to go thru lucas licensing b4 it's made official).

a lot of people like star wars for it's eu (a poll done at dark horse comics saw the vast majority-ie. >90%- of it's voters voice their support 4 continuity. 5% said they wanted only the good stories to be included in continuity)...... i, for one, wouldn't like star wars as much as i do now without the rogue squadron tales. eu's done a lot for star wars...things like traitor, the x-wing series, most of the dark horse comics...all have done a tremendous job of creating the more or less continuous storyline that has been a source of joy for many star wars fans, including myself. sure, there've been real mistakes and rubbish storylines (*ahem*darkEmpire) but if everything's taken into account, the eu's done more good for the sw universe than the bad.

Re: boba fett
yeah, he's a cool character...anyone read his comics? bludy brilliant, they were...they reconciled cam kennedy in my eyes (which is quite a feat, considering dark empire...)

and as to why he's so popular, it's probably coz he was the mysterious sidekick whom no-one knew about. and his armour...

incidentally, a star wars poll a couple of years back listed him as the all-time no. 2 fan favourite, second only to han solo (who ousted him with but 1% of the votes). boba also had the best lines-in-movie : popularity ratio, with wedge coming up second (wedge was rated 8th in the popularity poll).
 platypus202
05-24-2003, 12:17 AM
I think people like him because of his background, and the mystery surronding him.
 benTantilles
05-24-2003, 12:59 AM
the mystery surronding him.
yeah, that's it exactly. from the introduction of an action figure before esb with no explanation whatsoever (which left sw fans thinking 'who the hell is he?') to his stint in the esb & rotj without taking off his mask (which left sw fans thinking 'what does he look like?'), boba fett was constantly shrouded by mystery (well...til episode II anyway).

as to his background, tho, i actually think jango has a better backstory. any1 read open seasons? damn cool series....elicited quite a response from readers.
 STTCT
06-03-2003, 11:32 AM
i think its due to his incredibly sexy outfit personaly.
 benTantilles
06-05-2003, 6:25 AM
yeah, that must've snared him the favour of the female sw fans out there...:p
 boinga1
06-06-2003, 1:22 AM
You have to wonder what it'd be like playing Boba or Jango in a movie....I mean, everyone'd think you were awesome and all, but no one'd know your name or what you looked like (save Jango in ep2). Same goes for Vadrer or Chewbacca (of course, most people know James Earl Jones as Vader's voice, and some know of David Prowse as Vader)
 pleto4_ryan
06-28-2003, 11:53 PM
At the first trilogy i din't have for much Boba, he was just a hunter that died (not :p) easily at the VI...never felt much for him. OK some mysterious yes. My likeness started in II, he gained a character and a past...and a tragic one...explaining his life afterwards...
Now he is one of my favourites.

Holding his father's head(helmet) that he will wear in the future, were from the best scenes in the second episode...

--------------------------

It's silly not to accept EU....George lucas accept them....they wouldn't get out otherwise. And it's not that they are stupid. from what i read they have great stories and they are written by great authors. Salvatore for example...

So boba didn't dies...:) OUIII didn't knew that. Truly....How he got out?
 Tufkad
07-01-2003, 1:43 AM
I like him because he is cool. Just look at his armor. He's like a stormtrooper, (in the sense that he has really cool armor and you never see his face) but with a story behind him. Sweet.
:fett:
 OmegaNothing
07-06-2003, 12:19 PM
Well he's similar to a stormtrooper because he is a clone of Jango and the stormtroopers evolved from the clone troopers who are also clones of Jango :)
 ninja
08-08-2003, 6:15 PM
yeah i just wanted to comment on the death of boba. well seeing that boba was always called the best bounty hunter in the galaxy, and that it takes years for a sarlak to digest its food. i just remember boba falling in the pit. and being known for being ruthless and such, i see boba as more like a survivor. i could see him getting out of that pit, bobas just the future version of the crocodile hunter. crykie its a sarlak lol.

anyways i heard that after george is done someone else is gonna do the other stories into movies. but as for right now its the video games and computer games that are telling some of the stories. since its easyer that way.
 benTantilles
08-09-2003, 4:32 PM
anyways i heard that after george is done someone else is gonna do the other stories into movies
really?! where'd u hear that from?

and actually, it's the books & comics which're telling most of the stories right now.
 ninja
08-09-2003, 4:46 PM
yeah thats what i meant, the comics and stuff. dude i forgot where i heard that from. it something to the effect of lucas finishing up, and someone else is gonna take over.
 daring dueler
08-14-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by benTantilles
re: continuity vs canon
here we go again...yes, star wars is george lucas' brainchild- but does that mean that all material developed by other parties is redundant? that depends...imo, the answer is NO. it IS safe to say, tho, that the eu doesn't correspond much with lucas' vision 4 the sw universe(...but then again, how far did he think ahead?) but that in no way negates the things told in the eu. lucas is, after all, responsible for establishing the eu...had he wanted to be the only source for sw material, he wouldn't have permitted zahn to write the thrawn trilogy, nor would he have allowed the eu to develop at all. The expanded universe isn't just some half-baked idea concocted by a team of authors & comic scripters...it's OFFICIAL.
sure, canon takes precedence over continuity...but that doesn't mean that contiuity has no importance whatsoever. it's just means that should the canon say something and the continuity another, what the canon says goes. of course, things like this rarely happen and are usually covered up by continuity patches or fixes to preserve the flow. so yes, boba's still alive. his resurrection was...plausible. and if george's people didn't like the idea, they would've axed it (let's not forget that all eu stuff has to go thru lucas licensing b4 it's made official).

a lot of people like star wars for it's eu (a poll done at dark horse comics saw the vast majority-ie. >90%- of it's voters voice their support 4 continuity. 5% said they wanted only the good stories to be included in continuity)...... i, for one, wouldn't like star wars as much as i do now without the rogue squadron tales. eu's done a lot for star wars...things like traitor, the x-wing series, most of the dark horse comics...all have done a tremendous job of creating the more or less continuous storyline that has been a source of joy for many star wars fans, including myself. sure, there've been real mistakes and rubbish storylines (*ahem*darkEmpire) but if everything's taken into account, the eu's done more good for the sw universe than the bad.

Re: boba fett
yeah, he's a cool character...anyone read his comics? bludy brilliant, they were...they reconciled cam kennedy in my eyes (which is quite a feat, considering dark empire...)

and as to why he's so popular, it's probably coz he was the mysterious sidekick whom no-one knew about. and his armour...

incidentally, a star wars poll a couple of years back listed him as the all-time no. 2 fan favourite, second only to han solo (who ousted him with but 1% of the votes). boba also had the best lines-in-movie : popularity ratio, with wedge coming up second (wedge was rated 8th in the popularity poll).

thanx, you saved me alot of typing, I agree.

and lucas isnt having anyone continue besides the books and comics..it was rumored that his children would continue. not true.
Page: 1 of 1