Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Ability to use a single hand

Page: 1 of 1
 HaruGlory89
04-18-2003, 8:29 AM
Most Jedi use both hands to fight. But in the Attack of the Clones book. It states that Count Dooku uses the fencing way to fight which is more effective at blocking lightsaber attacks. The fencing way uses only 1 hand. This could be a new style!
 StormHammer
04-18-2003, 11:00 AM
Well, he uses single-handed fighting in the film as well, not just the book - largely because Christopher Lee can actually fence properly. He's one of a dying breed of actors who learned the art of fencing...

I remember he played the bad guy in The Three Musketeers...among others.

I agree that it would be great to see that style in the game. The more variety the better, IMHO. :thumbsup:
 coupes.
04-18-2003, 2:31 PM
That would be great, but would have to be reserved for the experienced jedi, probably the last stance you learn in the game (assuming JA will handle this like JO).
 SithLord13
04-19-2003, 9:21 AM
Sounds like a good idea I say more stances more fun :)
 superdude201
04-19-2003, 12:58 PM
In jk2 you could use single handed saber moves with the jedi moves mod but it went over you blue and red stance
 t3rr0r
04-19-2003, 2:11 PM
i just hope it'd be better than the desann and tavion stances.
 tFighterPilot
04-19-2003, 7:11 PM
In jediPLUS, and other MP mods, there is are two 1 handed stances.
 Rad Blackrose
04-19-2003, 9:57 PM
Originally posted by imyourfather
In jediPLUS, and other MP mods, there is are two 1 handed stances.

... Which are completely ripped from the Tavion and Desann stances from SP.
 Blademaster_109
04-19-2003, 10:26 PM
i doubt it because in jo u used to and had to stop fight when u used the force.
 StormHammer
04-20-2003, 9:12 AM
Originally posted by Blademaster_109
i doubt it because in jo u used to and had to stop fight when u used the force.

Yes, but that's just a matter of programming. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to enable people to use the Force while swinging the saber single-handed - if they really wanted to allow it. It might mean tweaking some of the animation, but I'm sure it could be done.

The question is whether or not the devs want to introduce this kind of thing - and how it might impact performance in MP.
 Sam Fisher
05-17-2003, 10:01 AM
That would be cool if they put several more stances for the seperate kinds of sabers...
 Solbe M'ko
05-17-2003, 3:11 PM
It would be awesome if when you make your character, you could choose his style. Saber stances, kung fu moves, all that would progress according to the style you pick. I know that there are a few descriptions of lightsaber styles and martial arts in some of the books, so that would be totally possible, unlikely though.
 HertogJan
05-17-2003, 3:23 PM
Originally posted by Solbe M'ko
It would be awesome if when you make your character, you could choose his style. Saber stances, kung fu moves, all that would progress according to the style you pick. I know that there are a few descriptions of lightsaber styles and martial arts in some of the books, so that would be totally possible, unlikely though.

AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!! IF THEY PUT KUNGFU IN A STARWARS GAME IM GOING TO KILL EVERYONE RESPONSIBLE!! INCLUDING WOMEN AND CHILDREN!! AND MENTALLY DISABLED PEOPLE TOO!!!

:( :o Oops, kinda got a bit too carried away there, but it IS my opinion; martial arts would ruin the game!! If you want kung fu, play enter the matrix ;)

But yeah, it WOULD be nice to have different styles you can pick when creating your character, but they would have to add lots of styles then, which probably won't happen :D
 Solbe M'ko
05-17-2003, 3:39 PM
Well I don't mean "crane stance", "forest tiger" (Revenge of the 5 Deadly Venoms, anyone?). I mean like "rancor rising" and stuff, not "kung-fu" but Maul style moves like hitting the guy with the saber hilt. In JO you can jump on them, Mario style, and knock them down, I think it would be better to actually kick their ass.

Of course it wouldn't be required that you choose a style with martial arts. But that won't happen anyway, so why do I care?:awing:
 Master_Payne
05-17-2003, 3:49 PM
If you don't want kung fu its OK, but lets put in Teras Kasi.
Fencing and martial arts, the closest to real life the better the game turns to me.
 Solbe M'ko
05-17-2003, 3:52 PM
Yeah, okay, Teras Kasi. You should have different kicks, jumps, saber moves depending on your style. It would be cool! Maybe for JK4...
 HaruGlory89
05-18-2003, 9:28 AM
Speaking of which, I wonder how the controls all come together. I mean you have an almost unlimited set of moves! You can stike with one hand and defend with the other, stab the guy behind you and force push at the same time.
 WarteX
05-18-2003, 12:10 PM
because Christopher Lee can actually fence properly. He's one of a dying breed of actors who learned the art of fencing...

Actually, Cristopher Lee didnt fight, a stand-in did. If u dont believe me, check the Interviews on the Episode 2 DvD.
 boinga1
05-18-2003, 7:02 PM
There was a stand-in for MOST of the yoda fight...which was NOT fencing. However, in the Obi and Ani fights, I see no reason Lee didn't do a lot of the fighting. Besides, how does that fact change the earlier statement.
 Six of One
05-19-2003, 1:09 AM
Also note that Dooku wasn't the only one to use one hand: Vader did so when he was fighting Luke in EP5.
I think it would be great to be able to use one hand, in addition it would be sweet to be able to choose which hand to use.

-Half a dozen of Another
 Emon
05-19-2003, 2:34 AM
It doesn't make sense for him to have a swept hilt and fight with one hand... you need two hands for it to be worthful.
 Solbe M'ko
05-19-2003, 3:32 PM
I for one am really disappointed in the animations for the lightstaff. In TPM, Maul just kind of poked and blocked, stabbing moves. In the trailer there's all these swinging moves that look bad and will likely have a lot of clipping problems. MOO, though.
 Emon
05-19-2003, 3:57 PM
Yeah, and Maul also ended up in two...

Didn't you hear? There aren't clipping problems anymore, on anything.
 Solbe M'ko
05-19-2003, 4:16 PM
I'll believe that when I see it, thanks.
 HertogJan
05-20-2003, 7:19 AM
Hehe yeah the animations look just the same as in JO, so not much improvement there I think... But hell, I liked JO so I'll probably like JA too :)
 Prime
05-20-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by HertogJan
:( :o Oops, kinda got a bit too carried away there, but it IS my opinion; martial arts would ruin the game!! If you want kung fu, play enter the matrix ;) Why? Because punches and kicks aren't a part of Star Wars movies? Oh whoops, they are :)
 Solbe M'ko
05-20-2003, 8:59 PM
Hand to hand fighting would be good for a SW game. Not just the jedi, either. If for some reason you get captured or something, you should be able to fight without weapons. I remember playing this SP map where you break out of prison and thinking "Why don't I just kick some asses?" JO was good in that you could force push bowcaster bolts and such, but you should really have some way of killing (or otherwise incapacitating) bad guys, like in the movies and books.

Still, I didn't like the kicking implementation in MP. It did too much damage and was just poor. Instead of stunning the guy and lowering his defences for that critical second, it jut knocked him back and did 20 damage. Most of the time, he would already be coming back toward you, swinging like a madman, before he even hit the ground. Secondary fire for the saber (or at least the staff) should be Maul-type kicks that break through defenses momentarily, but don't do real damage.
Page: 1 of 1