Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

So, what engine?

Page: 1 of 1
 The Seeker
04-15-2003, 2:12 AM
Dunno if it's been asked yet, or even announced, but please tell me that they aren't gonna use the quake III engine again. That is an excellent gaming engine that had a great life with lotsa great games, but for this game, I'd like to see more details and textures and all the other goodies that are made possible with my geforce 4 ti4400 (bragging :D ) So, anyone know what engine they are gonna run this beast with?
 shock ~ unnamed
04-15-2003, 2:21 AM
JK3 will be on the Q3 engine.
 NerfYoda
04-15-2003, 3:16 AM
JK3 is using a modified JK2 engine (which is a modified Quake 3 engine). I believe Raven is incorporating some of the terrain code from Soldier of Fortune 2 so there can be nice big levels to roam around in. :)
 Swat
04-15-2003, 4:27 AM
got this code frm the gamedomain interview
We've enhanced GHOUL 2, which is our modelling and animation system, to allow for the character creation system, color choices and options. We ported over the Arioche terrain system from Soldier of Fortune 2, which allows for expansive terrain environments. We've done an update in ICARUS, which is our in-house scripting system. It allows us to do just a little bit more than we did in the past. The saber system is enhanced; it's basically the same as the Jedi Knight 2 engine, but we've added new moves and enhancements. We've tried to make a lot of the game friendlier to the mod community. The first thing people did when JK2 came out was create their own sabers and their own characters. It was a lot easier to do that in multiplayer than single-player, so now we've made it easier for single-player. Now you can just drag it into a folder or update a file and you'll be good to go.
 GhostLotus
04-15-2003, 6:56 AM
Heavily modified engines are like completely new ones, for example sof was built on the quake II engine.

So dont judge it before you know what it looks like.
 The_One
04-15-2003, 7:08 AM
Guys, this is NOT Jedi Knight III - this is Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.

JKIII is likely to come in a couple of years time, and will be on a newer, more up to date engine...
 StormHammer
04-15-2003, 7:17 AM
Originally posted by The_One
JKIII is likely to come in a couple of years time, and will be on a newer, more up to date engine...

*crosses fingers, eyes and legs* :D

GhostLotus...well said. We know it's going to be a revamped JK2 engine - but we although we have some information, we won't know exactly how that pans out until we see the game in action. Here, have a chocolate Jedi Medallion to welcome you to the forums...

http://www.storm.hammer.btinternet.co.uk/jedimedal2.gif)
 Prime
04-15-2003, 1:13 PM
Originally posted by JediKnight_114
Dunno if it's been asked yet, or even announced, but please tell me that they aren't gonna use the quake III engine again. What else are they going to use?
 GhostLotus
04-15-2003, 1:33 PM
*frantically consumes chocolate medallion*
Hehe thx for the warm welcome;) .

Well i *guess* there are some other engines, i just really cant think of anythink realistic right now.

You could use lithtech, but personally i think that is much to choppy, you could use unreal warfare engine, but thats brand new and ridiculously expensive(i think) AND takes quite some time to build and get used to.

DOOMIII isnt out yet and its said the engine can only be used for very specific games(heavy shading)so prime raises a good point, they have no other choice really, plus they know how to work with the qIII engine.
 JaledDur
04-15-2003, 1:45 PM
I have no prob with the engine, looks good to me. :) I'm more concerned with gameplay.
 The_One
04-15-2003, 3:38 PM
Actually they do/did have a choice.

Unreal II is currently the best engine out there, and could have easily been used by Raven for another JK game, such as this. Lithtech 2.0 is superior in many ways to the Quake 3 engine, hell, even the Serious Sam engine is better.

I think they opted to use the Quake III engine due to the simple problem of time constraints. LEC will undoubtably want this game out the door ASAP, thus generating money for them. All the framework from JKII is in there for them to use. The Quake 3 engine is still (barely) acceptable by today's standards, so it's a logical choice. Many months - even as much as a year - have been shaved off development time, ready for money-grabbing LEC to swoop in and take the profits.

Capitalism, gotta love it.
 The Seeker
04-15-2003, 3:40 PM
What else are they going to use?

I don't know. I just figured that the Q3 engine has been around for several years now, so there must be something that looks better to replace it for Jedi Acadamy. Like whatever they used for Splinter Cell looks really great, and seems to be able to be extremely immersive. ie, walk through a curtain and it moves out of your way rather than being a barrier.

I am by no means an expert on gaming engines, and for all I know, they used Q3 for splinter cell, but you would think there would be something more than the Q3 now. I mean, it looks great and all, but one of the problems I have with it is all the levels that I have ever played on it look a little foggy. Even on daytime levels, there is like this hue of fog over everything. I just wanted to know if there was an engine to just make stuff look better you know.

But, if they are modifying the version they used for JKII, then it will probably turn out okay.
 The Truthful Liar
04-15-2003, 3:47 PM
Well now that you know... :]

~Closed
 StormHammer
04-15-2003, 4:11 PM
Splinter Cell used a more recent iteration of the Unreal engine. Other games based on the Unreal tech are...

Unreal, Return To Na Pali (expansion), Unreal Tournament, Deus Ex, Clive Barker's Undying, RUNE, Mobile Forces, Unreal 2, Devastation, Black 9 (in development), Unreal Tournament 2003 (stupid title), Deus Ex 2 (probably quite up-to-date, though they've ripped the guts out of it to modify it to hell), Black Hawk Down (I think).

The Unreal engine costs $500,000 to license, before you've even written a line of code for it, and AFAIK Epic get a (small) share of your profits. While the newest iterations of the engine certainly look fantastic, it's pretty much a resource hog and demands a high spec PC in order to have everything switched on.

Games based on Lithtech include... No One Lives Forever (1 & 2), Aliens v Predator 2, TRON 2 (in development).

I've no idea how much it costs to license, but it's very capable, and they're improving it all the time. They've also renamed it recently...though I can't remember what they've called it.

I know that Morrowind used the NetImmerse engine, which has also been around a while, and used for various other games.

Other games based on Q3 and Q3A/Q3TA...

Elite Force 1 & 2, Jedi Outcast, Return To Castle Wolfenstein, Heavy Metal FAKK 2 (don't ask), Soldier Of Fortune II, Medal Of Honour, etc...

I'm not a huge fan of the Q3 tech myself, although there's nothing really wrong with how the games look that have been made on it. It's still a competent engine, they hold the license to use it, they've got the proper skillset to use it well and modify it to hell, and it will run at a fairly decent framerate on older systems. It makes sense for them to use what they know, and they have a long-standing relationship with iD software.

They might actually be better off making an engine specifically for this series of games, some time down the line, but that would take a huge chunk of development time. Besides, that was what Lucasarts did for Obi-Wan, and it didn't quite turn out as good as I would have imagined. However, if done well, in-house engines can pay dividends. You only have to take a look at S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Oblivion Lost and Far-Cry to see how impressive other engines can be. Of course, if you don't mind waiting for 3-4 years, they might do something like that...*cough*not*cough*
Page: 1 of 1