Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

hardest puzzle in monkey island series

Page: 1 of 1
 peepwood
04-12-2003, 3:01 PM
Which puzzle from all of the games did you all find most challenging?
 Das Mole
04-13-2003, 2:55 PM
the goodsoup family crypt one. it wasn't really that hard, but it took way too much time due to all those steps (first die, then come back, go to stan, die again, pick up death certificate, blah blah blah).

the one i found most challenging that wasn't given was monkey kombat, which is the absolute worst idea ever. however, i did print out the chart, which was very nice.
 MrManager
04-13-2003, 3:54 PM
Collecting all map pieces MI2 - that was like 80% of the game.
 James Isaac
04-20-2003, 7:04 AM
It took me ages to collect all the map pieces in MI2, that is probably most of the game!
 Death_Jedi
04-20-2003, 7:08 AM
for me it would have been the good soup one or on MI4 when you do the pegnose pete thing
 Al-back from the BigWhoop
04-21-2003, 11:15 PM
collecting the map pieces was the hardest, it was almost the whole MI2

also, it got me a long time to figure out wot to do in monkey island in MI1 (i was 10 or something, but still...)
 Joshi
04-22-2003, 11:53 AM
i'd have to say the map pieces for two reason, one, it's most of the game and incorporated about thirty other short puzzels, some more difficult than others, and two, it was annoying because you spent ages getting to map, and you don't even use it.
 Yufster
04-22-2003, 5:37 PM
Actually the hardest puzzle there for me was the three map pieces... or four, even. But that didn't get me that much. The toughest ones for me were:

GETTING TO MONKEY ISLAND, MI1
No matter how many times I play, I forget to look in the cereal box, forget where THIS ingredient is, especially the wine, and forget how to get the flaming mass, etc.,. I always mess up on this puzzle.

MONKEY WRENCH, MI2
I took about a week figuring out you use the Monkey with the Water Pump.

IF THIS IS THREE, THEN THIS IS... .MI2
Don't even ASK how long I spent trying to figure this out. I even came to such conclusions as adding five to every number and taking away seven, unless it was under three whereby I adding seven and took away five, or something. It was so stupidly obvious and easy that I overlooked the entire thing.

MISTS OF TYME.... MI4
I loved this puzzle. But it took ages to figure out.

TUNNELS.... MI2
Took me so long to figure everything out... I remember trying to operate on his parents, trying to give the helium to lechuck, trying to blow up the gloves and trying to break the elevator.
 Junior™
04-22-2003, 7:05 PM
Out of your selection I would pick getting the 4 map pieces.

But actually I think bringing Herman's memory back in EMI was the hardest puzzle.
 C Shutt
04-24-2003, 9:37 AM
Spraying perfume on a stuffed kangaroo in Escape from Monkey Island. This "puzzle" does not conform to human logic.
 Al-back from the BigWhoop
04-24-2003, 5:49 PM
Originally posted by Yufster
MONKEY WRENCH, MI2
I took about a week figuring out you use the Monkey with the Water Pump.

yeah, it took me some time to figure it out, but i LedLO when i finally got it. :rofl:

IF THIS IS THREE, THEN THIS IS... .MI2
Don't even ASK how long I spent trying to figure this out. I even came to such conclusions as adding five to every number and taking away seven, unless it was under three whereby I adding seven and took away five, or something. It was so stupidly obvious and easy that I overlooked the entire thing.

i still dont know how i managed to complete that puzzle. i was at a friends house, and i just started doing some ramdom stuff, ddnt even stop to read wot he said, then suddenly... done!

btw, am i the only 1 who ddnt find the spraying perfume puzzle dificult?
 The Punisher
04-29-2003, 12:24 AM
It was totally, beyond a doubt, the three trials in MI 1. That took away about four days of my life! :skul5:
 Dradle
05-01-2003, 7:03 AM
Those map took me forever
 Natty
05-06-2003, 7:08 AM
MI1- the dance step thingie. Even though I follow it in the woods I still don't end up where I'm supposed to, and I thought the whole deal was to follow the dance steps so you get to the Sword Masters? Or did I miss something?

MI2- spitting contest I think, took me forever to figure out how to move the flags and distract the guy. Oh and also the number thingie (I know what I mean) I can't even remember how to work that out. I think MI2 was the hardest

CMI- Blondbeard's tooth, getting that out of the room and the Banjo duel. Took me forever to figure out that I could use the banjo *blushes*

EMI- Monkey Combat. Enough said. I didn't have the paitence to sit there and play Monkey Combat. By the time I got through of it I was so sick of fricking monkys
 Joshi
05-06-2003, 8:25 AM
in Mi1, the dance steps are meant to get you to the treasure, and you follow the store keeper for the sword master.

Mi2, you also have to wait until the winds blowing (the womans scarf blows in the wind) to spit, otherwise you won't win first.

MI3 yes, the gold tooth thing was hard.
 Natty
05-06-2003, 9:05 AM
Ahhh that's right the dance steps got to the treasure. Well I never ended up there either:mad:
 SCUMMinator2k
05-06-2003, 1:54 PM
Secret of Monkey Island - Getting off of the ship to Monkey Island
Because of how I go about completing the "Treasure Diggery" Trial I don't bother to buy a map. I wonder around the woods aimlessly for, ooh, maybe 2 minutes and I find the thing. Either I've psuedo-memorized the map, or I'm very, very lucky. Anyway because I don't have the map I can very easily screw up this part of thge game where the map is used as the Flaming Mass. You can use the book to create a flaming mass, but then again you can use the book in the stew. If you do the latter, you're pretty much buggered if you want to get off of the ship.

Monkey Island 2 - The Ending
What you're supposed to do with making a voodoo doll is very vague and I had trouble with this in so many places. Still I refused to use a Wallthrough to help me. Finally killed LeChuck about a day and a half after finding Big Whoop.

Curse of Monkey Island - Stan and the Goodsoup Family Crypt
The Crypt thing. Without a doubt. Aslo am I the only one who thinks that the way Stan's arms move in CMI doesn't quite work as well as it did in SoMI and MI2?

Escape from Monkey Island - Pegnose Pete
Pegnose Pete, the capture and proving of. The Mysts o' Tyme were a bit befuddling, and I think my brain melted because of that Paradox thing (got it right in two goes, though) but the clock was a bit weird.

Monkey Island 5 - The Killer Crocodile Guarding the Waxworks
The part with the Crocodile confused me to no ends. How was I to know I'd need to use the Corkscrew on the Satin Sheets to... whoops! Getting a bit ahead of myself there.
 Jake
05-06-2003, 5:32 PM
Monkey Island 5 - The Killer Crocodile Guarding the Waxworks

Tee hee.

I think that all three puzzles in Monkey 2 involving animals (Rat into the soup, Dog in the coat and into the pile of trash, Monkey wrench) all gave me more trouble than any others in the whole series.
 scabb
05-06-2003, 7:24 PM
Other than the obvious ones mentioned (pick up dog, pick up monkey, use monkey to magically open tunnel)...

In the first game, it took me a long time to realise that the leaflet entitled "How to get ahead in travelling" could be used to trick filthy cannibal scum into giving me "A head in travelling".

In the second game, I didn't realise that I could visit the Chef, I just didn't see the window at all. Finding the laundry-claim coupon was also irritating, and grabbing LeChucks beard in the lift... gah.

Curse didn't really have any particularly fiendishly illogical puzzles, and I didn't get stuck in any situations that are so incredibly easy that they magically become hard, so it wins the well-balanced puzzles prize.

I got stumped on both the monkey-filing system (irritating) and the "Throw the things at Herman" game wasn't particularly fun too, I'm not sure if there are bugs there or not. Other than that, the game was definitely the easiest of the bunch.

Other than those puzzles, my CLEARLY SUPERIOR mind SOARED through the rest of the games, like some kind of EAGLE that had taken lots of lovely AMPHETAMINES.
 Joshi
05-06-2003, 7:54 PM
Out of all of the games, I'd have to agree that CMI was the most logical in it's problems in which every puzzle had it's solution there right in front of you if you looked right enough.

MI4 definately had a problem with the throwing things at herman point. A friend of mine says that if you don't at first hit him with the three items in the right order, that's when the game goes wrong (it happened to me, first time I played it, but after that I knew what to do so I didn't hit him with anything else). But this is just a theory, by my friend, it may not be true, but to me, it seems logical. I dunno.

But certain things in the first two games weren't as logical as some would think, but then again, i think you'd have to be in a certain state of mind for this to work (if anyone had succesfully played Discworld beforehand, they wouldn't have had a single problem :D). Stuff like usiong the Monkey wrench (as mentioned earlier) and following the store keeper was, to me, something new in adventure games. I hadn't played an adventure game before that where someone left and yet you could follow them, normally if you followed them out of the door, they wouldn't be in sight in the next scene, so that was new for me.
 Yufster
05-06-2003, 8:00 PM
MI3... blood island - getting the money and stuff

****ing ****, who would have ****ing guessed you were to put the ****ing cut up picture on the ****ing DOOR. That's just BULL****. I've wasted 2 days of my life trying combinations such as "Use Tofu on Idol" and "use Pie Pan on Goodsoup Crypt" and "Use Laminated Business Card on Melted Nacho Cheese"

And I'll never, ever get those two days back.

And now I'm having nightmares about using Recipe Books on seawater and Skeleton Arms on Haggis.

the only reason I SOLVED the puzzle was because I clicked the wrong mouse button.
 SCUMMinator2k
05-06-2003, 8:34 PM
:: Off-Topic Comment ::
Actually, while we're on the subject, does anyone know how to get the Kleenix Box off of Jubjub Biscuit on Plittby Island on MI5? Someone suggested giving him the Stuffed Wombat, but that's for Easy Mode and I'm playing the Difficult mode.

In my inventory I have a spounge, a copy of "Tits & Bums - A weekly look at Church Architecture", a passport in the name of Emily Berkenstein and the Satin sheets. Oh, and a broken cellphone. Suggestions?
:: End of Off-Topic Comment ::
 Das Mole
05-06-2003, 10:01 PM
you know what? i'm pretty sure you have to use the afro wig with the over-inflated foofy hot pink balloon. but, of course, you have to exchange the tits and bums magazine for the wig, and the broken cell phone at dave's pawnshop for the foofy balloon. if you fill the balloon w/helium (which you can also get at the pawnshop) and put the wig on top, it should knock it down for you.

and you know what? this gives me an idea! *quickly runs to the harbor*
 SCUMMinator2k
05-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Thanks. That's helpful. I've used the Kleenix box with the Killer Goat and gotten the Goat's Milk, so now I can get into Yankee's House of Cheese. If I have any more fictional game problems, I'll make them up and ask you.
 Governor Phatt
05-07-2003, 2:54 PM
And then back on topic, out of those choices then its definitely the filing system. I thought EMI was FAR too easy, i only got stuck like 3 times in the whole game...

MI-- Getting the head of the navigator -- Getting the idol

LCR -- the hand puzzle -- Monkey Wrench -- Defeating Lechuck-- i dunno loads lol definitely the hardest game

CMI -- The Blondebeard tooth :mad: i hate that with a vengance-- also the snake, i was stuck there for like a bjillion years --

Goodsoup crypt was easy

EMI -- all of it was easy except Filing system -- Vista point/Boulders and... Marco Pollo
 Joshi
05-07-2003, 4:30 PM
MI3... blood island - getting the money and stuff.
****ing ****, who would have ****ing guessed you were to put the ****ing cut up picture on the ****ing DOOR. That's just BULL****. I've wasted 2 days of my life trying combinations such as "Use Tofu on Idol" and "use Pie Pan on Goodsoup Crypt" and "Use Laminated Business Card on Melted Nacho Cheese"

Yeah, well goodsoup says that you don't look like a goodsoup
, and theres a hole in the picture as well as the door, seemed pretty logical to me.
 Yufster
05-07-2003, 5:35 PM
Originally posted by Neil Joshi
Yeah, well goodsoup says that you don't look like a goodsoup
, and theres a hole in the picture as well as the door, seemed pretty logical to me.

I know, that was the worst part, because when I accidently clicked it, I felt so unbelievably stupid, I smacked myself.
 The Punisher
05-08-2003, 2:25 AM
AH, I totaly forgot about the dance steps, those were harder for me thatn anything I've ever done. Ever.
 SCUMMinator2k
05-08-2003, 10:21 AM
Dance Steps? Hard? Nope. Never caused me any problems. Of course, I had my little method of completing this puzzle, but it worked. That and it saved me a few valuable Piece Of Eight.

Even though by the end of the game you have plenty of PoE that you don't spend. Ever.
 Governor Phatt
05-08-2003, 9:20 PM
Yeah like in MI2, the first time i played it i always used to do the thing where u polish the guys wooden leg to get PoE, but now whenever i play it i find u dont actually have to do it :-P
 I am Andrew
05-12-2003, 12:53 AM
The stupid bone puzzle. I got mad and then I cried :(
 SamNMax
05-14-2003, 9:24 PM
Collecting map pieces. All the rest were frickin easy (ecxept the filing thing).
 AnxiousApe
05-18-2003, 2:03 PM
MI2 - map pieces and the bone thing. It took me so long I nearly gave up...

Collecting insults in all games isn't hard, it just takes a LONG time, but its worth it in the end when you kick their butts :D
Page: 1 of 1