Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Poll: Separate Force Powers for Duelists (this is for the GSD)

Page: 1 of 1
 Aoshi
04-07-2003, 8:51 PM
A few of us are discussing issues about gameplay right now and I brought up the suggestion of creating separate force powers for the Duel gametype only. This would serve multiple reasons.

1) Keep duelists in Duel servers and off of FFA servers

2) Make dueling more intense and more strategy oriented having unique forces to be used for just this gametype.

3) Make dueling more appealing to many types of players offering an experience that cannot be found anywhere else.

4) Make all types of gameplay more fun. Duels will be more fun because it will be completely unique. FFA will be more fun because if the duelists are gone you will actually be able to go into a ffa and kill people... wow what a concept.
 CanadianSurfer
04-07-2003, 8:55 PM
It depends cause sometimes when I'm playing CTF, dueling tactics come in handy when I'm 1 on 1 vs the flag carrier.

Other times I hate when people spam pull-throw.
 Prime
04-07-2003, 9:02 PM
I'm kind of keen on being able to duel in FFA. Why make the game more difficult by having to learn different tactics for different game types?
 Aoshi
04-07-2003, 9:43 PM
well the nature of a duel SHOULD be different than the nature of a FFA. that's the entire point. so naturally different tactics would be needed. for example a samurai doesnt walk into a room full of armed people and expect the strategies he just used to defeat an opponent 1v1 to work on them as well. similarly he's not gonna use the same moves, move the same way or anything. these two aspects of combat are completely separate and this idea would make dueling more realistic (since that's what it seems to me most duelists want anyways).
 shock ~ unnamed
04-07-2003, 10:11 PM
Well as a FF duel player I can say this is accomplished already in a way.

In FF dueling grip and drain are king.

Put me in a CTF match with those powers and tactics and I'm toast.

Certain powers like mind trick, speed, rage, protect all work wonders if used properly in CTF/FFA but are pretty useless in dueling.

Level 2 lightning is a standard of any smart duel player (to chip shields from a distance) but utterly useless in FFA.

Level 2 drain is the key to victory in maps like duel_temple but I've never even seen it used in a FFA to this day.

I see your point but I also think that the close, precise nature of duels versus the frantic nature of a FFA will automatically separate useful and useless powers on its own.
 Prime
04-07-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Aoshi
well the nature of a duel SHOULD be different than the nature of a FFA. that's the entire point. so naturally different tactics would be needed. for example a samurai doesnt walk into a room full of armed people and expect the strategies he just used to defeat an opponent 1v1 to work on them as well. similarly he's not gonna use the same moves, move the same way or anything. these two aspects of combat are completely separate and this idea would make dueling more realistic (since that's what it seems to me most duelists want anyways). Sorry, that's not what I was refering to. I was talking about dueling in FFA and the Duel gametype. I didn't mean to compare FFA fighting and duels :)

My point was that I don't think it would be good if duels in FFA were too different from the duel gametype.
 Aoshi
04-08-2003, 1:24 AM
Eh if you guys dont want it that's fine by me since I dont duel anyways. I was just trying to help you guys avoid this

http://www.teamwarfare.com/forums/showthread.asp?forumid=18&threadid=46323)

Scroll down for pics posted by UJ. They're on page 2 as well.
 HertogJan
04-08-2003, 8:02 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: Those pics are horrible!!
 shock ~ unnamed
04-08-2003, 8:45 AM
Originally posted by HertogJan
:eek: :eek: :eek: Those pics are horrible!!

And that sir is what we (the people who actually *play JK2) are trying to avoid.

Gunners don't want that nonsense in their servers; saber players don't want it either.
Page: 1 of 1