Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Can someone tell me the different classes of Star Destroyers?

Page: 1 of 1
 joesdomain
04-05-2003, 8:19 PM
I notice that in the Star Wars databank there was more than one class of star destroyer. Does anyone have information on the number of classes of star destroyers and the name of the classes?
 darthfergie
04-06-2003, 1:30 AM
depends on what you mean by that.

Now many of the star destoryers displayed advancements in their field and subseqent SDs were named after them (such as the Avenger Class, etc)

Then there are other types that are still called star destroyers, but there are enough differences that they are considered a different type of ship entirely. (Victory Star Destroyer, Star Destroyer, Super Star Destroyer)

(just FYI the Eclipse is considered by vehichles and vessels to be a Super Star Destoryer type)

If you want more info I suggest grabbing a copy of the new Vehichles and Vessels when it comes out (The previous one is probably over 6 years old)

as for the number...I'd say it's up to the writers. New classes are added all the time as technology is increased in the SW universe.
 Lynk Former
04-06-2003, 1:41 AM
The only ones in the movies are:

Victory Star Destroyer
Imperial Star Destroyer (i'm not sure but i think it's just an EU creation)
Super Star Destroyer
 dark jedi 8
04-06-2003, 10:48 AM
yeah, thats the only ones i know of. i think the victory class SD are outdated by the time of EP.IV, so i dont think there in the movies.
 darthfergie
04-06-2003, 2:44 PM
Suposedly they are in the movies...I havn't looked tho.

If they are that outdated tho, why did a fleet of agile Victories come in quick and hard and take out a fleet of normal SDs in EU (back when the warlords are battling alot...can't remember the exact book, but it was when Daala was sweeping to the head of a large fleet)

BTW, I don't think those are considered class...more like type. Especially using the navy system. Like different types are carriers, destroyers, cruisers, battleships, etc and classes are like the Nimitz Class Carrier (a group of carriers were built under the same design and the specific design is named after the first craft built)
 dark jedi 8
04-06-2003, 4:39 PM
the victory "class" SD were built at the biginning of palpatines reign. i'm pretty sure i read that in the essential guide to "vehicles and vessels.", whether there used by the fleet in EP.IV, i'm not sure.

and maybe the victory SD destroyed the regular ones so quickly because they had a better battle plan, element of surprise or commander? i dont know, i never read it, did they?
 joesdomain
04-06-2003, 8:36 PM
I thought the Republic Assualt Ships were precursors to Star Destroyers. They look very similar. Star Wars Databank says they are Acclamator Class or something like that. I heard about Victory Class Star Destroyers being used before Episode IV. We haven't seen them in I, II, IV, V, or VI I thought the only classes shown in Episode 4-6 were Imperial Class I and II and the Super Star Destroyer Class. Hopefully, Episode III will clear this up and they will use Victory Class Star Destroyers as the capital ships instead Republic Assualt Ships.
 swphreak
04-07-2003, 3:02 PM
*cough* From smallest to Largest

Victory Star Destroyer/Victory Star Destroyer II
Imperial Star Destrioyer/Imperial Star Destroyer II ( I read about it somewhere, the rebs call it an "Impstar Duece")
Sovereign Star Destroyer
Super Star Destroyer
Eclipse Star Destroyer

Some of tose are from EU. The Eclipse is the Ultiment SD.
 dark jedi 8
04-07-2003, 4:41 PM
plus i think the victory SD is all EU anyway. so i dont think GL will put it in EPIII. though if there are any SD in EPIII i think they will be a big step up from the acclaimer class republic ships.:)
 Jan Gaarni
04-07-2003, 4:44 PM
Might aswell repost it here to. :D

Here goes:

Star Destroyers:
Victory-Class, Mark I and II: 900 meters
Harrow-Class: 900 meters
Imperator*-Class, Mark I & II: 1600 meters
Republic-Class: 1250 meters
Dominator-Class: Is suggested to be around 1600 meters, but not sure. It's also more of an Interdictor though. It has Grav Wells on it.
Allegiance-Class: 2.2km
Ark Hammer (not really a star destroyer, more like a factory built inside a star destroyer shaped hull): Atleast longer than 6.4km. Only one is known to have been built.
Vengeance-Class: Longer than 10km. Again, the exact lenght is not known.

Super Star Destroyers:
Sovereign-Class: 15km
Executor**-Class: 17.6km
Eclipse-Class: 17.5km

* Same as the ones shown in the movies. Unfortunatly they have been publically known as Imperial-Class, which is stupid since they are all Imperial owned in the first place. The Victory is an Imperial Star Destroyer. The Allegiance is an Imperial Star Destroyer, etc....
"Oh, look! An Imperial Imperial-Class Star Destroyer!"
Nowhere to my knowledge has the movies or other canon sources ever said they where Imperial-Class star Destroyers, just that they where Imperial Star Destroyers. But early EU sources has said Imperator-Class. And they take presidence over later published material according to LucasFilms policy. :)
** Same goes for the Executor.
 dark jedi 8
04-07-2003, 4:48 PM
*Cough:spam:Cough.*
:D j/k:)
 Jan Gaarni
04-07-2003, 4:52 PM
plus i think the victory SD is all EU anyway.
Actually, the Victory-Class was made to go in A New Hope, but was upgraded to ISD instead. So, technically, George did create it, although it doesn't wuite look like the Victory-Class we all have come to love. :)

though if there are any SD in EPIII i think they will be a big step up from the acclaimer class republic ships.
Yeah, seeing the Victory-Class Star Destroyer is a warship, and the Acclamator-Class Assault Transport is a very large transport ship, that's an understatement to say the least. :D
Though it does have quite a deadly armament for being a transport. :)
 dark jedi 8
04-07-2003, 5:34 PM
yeah, it can definately hold its own! especially with those 4 heavy srategic missle and proton launch tubes!:)
 Nom Anorr
05-05-2003, 10:40 AM
THere is: Victory Class, Victory Class II, Imperial Class, Imperial Class II, Super Class, Eclipse Class, and Eclipse Class II.:vsd:
 Wraith 8
05-05-2003, 12:27 PM
uhmm the answer was already given more then once :D why did you have to dig up a month old thread :D
 Random
05-05-2003, 11:02 PM
Am I misstaken, or did we forget about the Interdictor Class SDs? They've got the big 'bubble' domes on them and project a gravity well. They're the one's Thrawn used to land other SD's in the middle of a battle by running them though hyperspace and yanking them out when they hit the gravity well. Also used to keep the Rebles from fleeing battle.
 Lynk Former
05-05-2003, 11:06 PM
*nods* a lot of people forget that the Interdictor is a class of Star Destroyer... well it is... isn't it?

Also the old skool SD's (the ones in episode 2) remind me of the Interdictor Cruisers
 swphreak
05-06-2003, 12:23 AM
Those arn't SDs in AotC... those are Assualt Transports......

bah, the Interdictor gets killed so easily... it doesn't deserve a place among the great Star Destroyers....
 benTantilles
05-06-2003, 10:00 AM
sure, interdictors are pretty vulnerable and weakly armed, but they're more useful, strategically, then ISDs thanx to their grav wells.
tho, of course, they become pretty obselete in the njo due to the introduction of the mon mothma & elegos aklaa (sp?).

being a vast, galaxy-spanning organization, the empire actually has several more sub-classes of star destroyers, which can be attributed to manifold subcontracts, upgrades etc it's unlikely that during the entire course of the empire's reign, there was only ONE upgrade for the ISD & VSD (from mark I to II) models. instead, the distinction of marks (btw I & II) could probably be ascribed to a major difference in design which was implemented at construction level. it's highly probable that each isd underwent individual refits, making them different from each other in various, small ways...check out theforce.net/swtc for more details.
 Lynk Former
05-06-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak
Those arn't SDs in AotC... those are Assualt Transports......

Does it matter exactly what they are? they're star destroyery shaped and they're big. period :D
 swphreak
05-06-2003, 1:01 PM
Yes, the Interdics Grav Wells are good strategically, but frankly, with out support, they're useless, a few X-Wings w/ Proton Torps could damage it.

@Lynk, they may be Star Destroyery but a real VSD would probably stomp it because the Assault Transport does just that... Transports :D
 Lynk Former
05-06-2003, 1:16 PM
lol *shrugs* it would be good if any of them even existed
 swphreak
05-06-2003, 1:24 PM
You know what, I don't care about the different classes of the SDs, the Eclipse Star Destroyer ownz all!
 Jan Gaarni
05-06-2003, 2:17 PM
First of all, define Interdictor. :D

There's more than one design. ;)

The Dominator Class Star destroyer is a combo of being an interdictor and an attack vessel, probably as large as the Imperator Class (1600m). So that one is a Star Destroyer.

If you're referring to the interdictors seen in the games, they arn't really star destroyers. More like cruisers. :)
They just have the similar design.

It's a good design really. First of all it's an intimidating look, to have an arrow shaped ship comming right at you. For another 80 % of all it's guns, and maybe even more, can be pointed straight forward at the enemy with this type of design. And half it's armament atleast can be pointed to each side.

The disadvantage with it though is that it's rear section is more vulnerable to attacks, as not that many guns will cover that part. :)
 leXX
05-06-2003, 4:09 PM
I am very impressed with your knowledge of Star Destroyers Jan I must say! ;)
 swphreak
05-06-2003, 4:29 PM
hmm... Dominator Class? Where have I heard that from? i can't remember. Interdics are really good for ambushing fighter squadrons and stuff.

and actually, I think is is called the Interdictor Cruiser
 Jan Gaarni
05-06-2003, 7:45 PM
Well, the Dominator name for the class isn't set in stone, it's just named after the very first ship that was seen with that name I think. :)

I don't know if the class has been shown in any other comics or described in sufficient detail in a novel.

Yes, that's right, StarWarsPhreak. :) But I don't agree on that though. Read on.

There arn't really that many types of interdictors, but here are 3 ships that has that ability:

Immobiliser-418:
A 600m long interdictor ship built by Seinar Fleet Systems. Seen in most video games.

This is a true interdictor. It's mission is simple: Prevent the enemy from escaping. It's not an attack ship, so plenty of support is adviced along with this ship.
This is more like a frigate though, not cruiser as you said Phreak.
My reasoning is that Han Solo refers to the Imperator Class star destroyers as cruisers. And they are more than double the size and lenght.

Dominator Class Star Destroyer:
Assumed to be around 1600m, these are more than just interdictors. They are attack vessels aswell. Though not as heavily armed as the Imperator Class, it is a foe to be reconned with and not to take lightly.

It is Kuat Drive Yards answer to the Immobiliser-418 interdictor built by competitor Sienar Fleet Systems.

Eclipse Class Super Star Destroyer:
Kuat Drive Yards loves big ships. No other ship types displayes this better than the Executor Class and Eclipse Class, both over an incredible 17km in lenght.

But the Eclipse have 2 prominant features that the Executor lacks:
Grav-well projectors and a minitaurised superlaser.
This in turn, however, seriously cuts it's ability to sport fighters and other land based equipment and vehicles, aswell as docking bays for other types of ships.
 Random
05-06-2003, 8:25 PM
What story/books is the Eclipse SD in? I haven't read about it yet.
 Lynk Former
05-06-2003, 9:51 PM
It's from the Dark Empire comics isn't it? (damn it's been so long since I was actually totally into SW lol)
 swphreak
05-07-2003, 12:13 AM
Eclipse Star Destroyer:
17.5 km long (2x the size of SSD, 10x an ISD)
550 Turbolasers
500 Heavy Laser Cannons
There are most likely other weapons (Ion, Missiles, ect)
10 grav wells
600 TIE Interceptors
96 TIE Bombers
1 "mini" Super Laser
In combat, the Eclipse's hull and shields were so strong that it could ram enemy vessels without hesitation.

Super Star Destroyer:
8 km long
Bristling with over a thouand weapons, including turbolasers, concussion-missile tubes, tractor-beam projectors, and ion cannons.
144 TIEs (various)
200 other combat and support ships

I'll stick with the Eclipse :D

And yes, it's from the Dark Empire Comic Series.

Where did you get your info Jan? I wanna take a look at it...
 Jan Gaarni
05-07-2003, 4:28 PM
Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak
Eclipse Star Destroyer:
17.5 km long (2x the size of SSD, 10x an ISD)
550 Turbolasers
500 Heavy Laser Cannons
There are most likely other weapons (Ion, Missiles, ect)
10 grav wells
600 TIE Interceptors
96 TIE Bombers
1 "mini" Super Laser

Super Star Destroyer:
8 km long

144 TIEs (various)
200 other combat and support ships

I'll stick with the Eclipse :D

And yes, it's from the Dark Empire Comic Series.

Where did you get your info Jan? I wanna take a look at it...
What type of super star destroyer, Phreak?
The Eclipse class is also a super star destroyer. :D
Be more spesific. ;)

j/k :D

Seriously, 8km is something WEG (West End Games) pulled out of their arse, scuse my language, showing their poor research and studeing of the ultimate canon itself: The Movies.
If you're gonna beleive anything none-canon, then believe what is stated on www.StarWars.com) (htttp://www.StarWars.com) site. It has realized the mistakes done in the past and upped the lenght of the Executor to 12.8km.
Yet it is still not as long as the movies show it to be.

I get my info from Star Wars Technical Commentaries (http://www.theforce.net/swtc/) made by Dr. Curtis J. Saxton. Here's a direct link to the Executor Lenght (http://www.theforce.net/swtc/ssd5mile.html) part.
His site is one of the things that earned him the position as writer of the Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones Incredible Cross-Sections (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0789485745/qid=1052331889/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-7025751-1051866?v=glance&s=books) and the Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones Visual Dictionary (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/078949227X/qid=1052331889/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-7025751-1051866?v=glance&s=books) books, which in the past was done by Dr. David West Reynolds (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author=Reynolds%2C%20David%20West/103-7025751-1051866).
 swphreak
05-07-2003, 7:35 PM
ok fine then, the Super-class Star Destrioyer is 17.6km long, and the Elcipse-Class Star Destroyer is about 35km since it is supposed to be 2x the SSD. Until stated otherwise, I go by my Essential Guide to Ships. Fortunately, they are making anew one. So maybe they will have fixed it :D
 Jan Gaarni
05-07-2003, 8:36 PM
Unfortunatly, I heard some rumour they are gonna stick to the 5mile fallacy. :(

And I go by canon first. :)
 dark jedi 8
05-11-2003, 11:59 PM
so if the SSD is actually 10 miles long (roughly) then the Eclipse-Class is about 20 miles long? damn, thats a big ship! could you just imagine that? that's almost crazy! whats the cargo and crew capacity for that anyway?
 Jan Gaarni
05-12-2003, 1:44 PM
so if the SSD is actually 10 miles long (roughly) then the Eclipse-Class is about 20 miles long? damn, thats a big ship! could you just imagine that? that's almost crazy! whats the cargo and crew capacity for that anyway?
No, the Eclipse-Class is still 10 miles (16km) long, and the Executor-Class is 11 miles (more exact 17.6 or so km).

The ships named Eclipse I and II is actually longer than the original blueprints of the Eclipse-Class, around 11 miles, or 17.5 km. The Eclipse (the ship, not class) was longer because it was the Emperors ship.
Later ships of this class would have presumably been 10 miles long, but none (that we know of) were ever again built after these 2.
 Rogue777
05-21-2003, 3:16 PM
I see that the ships at the end of AOTC are classified here as assault transports, however, they are extremely similiar to the Victory class Star Destroyer. If I remember the description of the VSD in Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels, the VSD are classified as having the main role of assault transport with planetary invasions being their main design goal. The VSD's are the only capital ships listed as having atmospheric capabilities and i believe the ability to actually land on worlds they are to occupy. Correct me if I am wrong, please.
 Jan Gaarni
05-21-2003, 6:18 PM
The VSD's are the only capital ships listed as having atmospheric capabilities and i believe the ability to actually land on worlds they are to occupy.
Of that size, yes.
But the range of capital ship goes from military ships longer than 100 meters and up. So that includes military versions of the Corellian Corvette CR90 (150m or so) for instance, which has also have atmospheric capabilities.
 benTantilles
05-22-2003, 6:31 AM
No, the Eclipse-Class is still 10 miles (16km) long, and the Executor-Class is 11 miles (more exact 17.6 or so km).

ok fine then, the Super-class Star Destrioyer is 17.6km long, and the Elcipse-Class Star Destroyer is about 35km since it is supposed to be 2x the SSD.

another discrepancy...
jan-
is your measurement of the eclipse's length based on an official source or is it a quantity derived from close observation and comparison with other bodies of known lengths? coz if it's the former, i'm disinclined to believe it....they're have been wrong facts stated before (eg SSD=12.8km long).

if the measurement is actually correct, tho, then the eclipse really is shorter than the executor...WHOA....but wait! that doesn't mean it's actually smaller. the SSd has a pretty thin profile while the eclipse is fat and broad. Also, they have about the same number of turbolasers lining their hull, so the eclipse shouldn't be all that bigger..
 Jan Gaarni
05-22-2003, 8:25 PM
is your measurement of the eclipse's length based on an official source
Yes, it is indeed based on an official source, stating that the Eclipse is 17.5 kilometers long. There's nothing wrong with this value. What's wrong is that later publications has falsely compared it to the lenght of the Executor that WEG has stated, which is 8km. And that's when the 2x the Executor crap came to be. :) It was not the source that stated the Eclipses lenght that is to be blamed, but WEG and other publishers that foolishly believed WEGs "measurement" of the Executor. :rolleyes:

The Eclipse-class' exact lenght is 16km. But the 2 built first, the Eclipse I and II, were 17.5 because they were the Emperors personal ship according to Michael Allen Horne who wrote the Dark Empire Sourcebook.

the SSd has a pretty thin profile while the eclipse is fat and broad. Also, they have about the same number of turbolasers lining their hull, so the eclipse shouldn't be all that bigger..
Exactly. :)

While the Executor-class is marginally longer than the Eclipse, the mass of the Eclipse is much greater, thus making it infact larger. Just not longer. :)

they're have been wrong facts stated before (eg SSD=12.8km long).
I'm actually willing to accept this lenght really. :)
It's a far better estimate than the 8km crap. ;)
 Rogue777
05-27-2003, 9:20 AM
I stand corrected on my earlier post. I should have said the VSD was the largest capital starship able to make planetfall or operate within the atmosphere. Thanks for correcting me Jan.:D
Page: 1 of 1