Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Martial application in JA

Page: 1 of 1
 Spider AL
04-04-2003, 11:45 AM
How much unarmed combat is too much? In Jedi Outcast, the kicking became a little bit annoying. In many cases it took over duelling entirely. We know there will be an expansion of kicking in JA, but will this be a good thing?

In my view there should be plenty of unarmed combat moves available, but none should cause much damage. Ten hit points off, max. Whaddya say?
 StormHammer
04-04-2003, 1:02 PM
Originally posted by Spider AL
How much unarmed combat is too much? In Jedi Outcast, the kicking became a little bit annoying. In many cases it took over duelling entirely. We know there will be an expansion of kicking in JA, but will this be a good thing?

In my view there should be plenty of unarmed combat moves available, but none should cause much damage. Ten hit points off, max. Whaddya say?

I don't know about adding lots of unarmed combat moves. Kick in JK2 seems to have taken the role of 'punch' from JK1, which is okay. I'd hate to see it turn into a brawl-a-thon, though - I think the focus should remain on sabers and guns.

As for damage for unarmed combat...yes, each hit should not score much. 10 hit points sounds about right. ;)
 leXX
04-04-2003, 1:25 PM
I think the kick is a good idea because it will be a side kick when using the double bladed saber. I think it will be a good addition to the game along will all the new moves that will come with the double bladed combat.

I agree kick was annoying in JK2 MP, but there was a way around it and I'm sure there will be a way around this one too.
 Taos
04-04-2003, 2:10 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
Kick in JK2 seems to have taken the role of 'punch' from JK1, which is okay. - I think the focus should remain on sabers and guns.

Agreed, we should focus on the sabers and weapons....kicking has just taken over and it gets annoying.

As for damage for unarmed combat...yes, each hit should not score much. 10 hit points sounds about right. ;)

10 points is a good amount. No more then that.
 Doctor Shaft
04-04-2003, 2:15 PM
The way I understood it, kicking would be enhanced when you chose the double lightsaber, but otherwise everything else was the same.

I wouldn't mind more kicking myself, however, JO's had double tap kicking, which made kicking... easy. If they leave it single tap, it shouldn't be too bad.

That's also assuming that Jedi Academy doesn't have a blocking system and a saber damage reminiscent of 1.0"wiffle bats" err 1.03 and 1.04:

If the blocking isn't uber, and is a near fatal weapon, then kicking shouldn't be nearly as annoying.
 ryudom
04-04-2003, 2:31 PM
kicking should only work certain times without talking damage though. like kicking someone in ready stance should result in the kicker being damaged
 eastcoast2895
04-04-2003, 4:52 PM
actually i may be considered strange, but i'd like to see a hand to hand combat system implemented. i think it be cool to have unarmed as an option and be able to have primary as punches and secondary as kicks. granted it may not be needed, but i think it be fun to be able to do hand to hand combat w/ combos like oni. but of course the no weapon would be around a medium attack. also if a person has a lightsaber out they can only kick. but i think the kicks should be like real kicks that would leave you open if it doesn't connect. also if it does connect, maybe it should just knock the person down and not take away damage. that's just my two cents.
 Darth Vicious
04-04-2003, 5:28 PM
Well there's a screenshot of a twi'lek with her ignited saber in one hand, and at the same time delivering a rather mean looking face kick.

Raven's been messing with the game for a while now, so we can expect plenty of different stuff beyond JKII. A martial system looks to be among them.
 eastcoast2895
04-04-2003, 6:13 PM
i've only seen pics like those with the double lightsaber. i wonder if anyone knows if the kicks will be a special move for the double lightsaber or implemented w/ all lightsaber types.
Page: 1 of 1