Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Asimov's Foundation series/Star Wars

Page: 1 of 1
 Fraydenz
04-02-2003, 4:44 PM
I am reading the Foundation series again - been almost 15 years since I read it the first time...anyway, I was just noticing several similarities. Like Trantor/Coruscant (both planets covered entirely by metal - one big city made for running the galaxy), the planet Korellia/Corellia. Han Pritcher/Han Solo...and of course the galaxy spanning Empire thing. There are more, but I don't remember all of them.

Just thought it was interesting - George Lucas must have got a good number of his ideas from Isaac Asimov. Which is a good thing, I mean, considering what he did with said ideas.
 Darth Groovy
04-03-2003, 1:05 AM
Lucas also borrowed a great deal from classic mythology, and also if you get a chance, check out the movie Excalibur , which is my favorite version of King Arthur's story and the Holy Grail. See if you can notice all the similarities. Doing this was integral to master his idea of creating a multi generation modern day myth, by expanding on existing legends and fables.

I am always intrigued with the amount of research that goes into making Star Wars films.

Even Darth Maul, was well researched. The tribal designs on his face were meant to symbolize agression, and the horns in many cultures represents fear, and evil.

If you are into reading, check out the book Magic of the Myth , that was released as a tie-in with the Smithsonian Institute Star Wars exhibit, it's a good read, and uses alot of visual comparisons with both the movies and the legends it has borrowed from.
 Darth Eggplant
04-03-2003, 8:04 PM
I have never read a Star Wars book,
but I unfortuately read Asimov;
(but I would rather read Star Wars)
Asimov is such a Hack that he makes
JD Sallinger (mister one book wonder seem good)
I mean Asimov; I am so full of myself
that I write 2 autobiograhies
that are the size of telephone books.
and I do not believe in alien life,
but I dabbles in sci-fi,
please!

Foundation was the worst book
and it took me forever to read it,
and such talent! Asimov writes
'so and so makes a ray gun'
no description of how it made,
it's power sourse, what it sounds like, etc
again and again he writes what?
a grocery list and calls it a book.
the only good part of Foundation
was the Mule.
(and Courrsant empiral planet)
is obviously based on that.

no, Asimov,
Heinlen (except for The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
and Starship Troopers)
are terrible sci-fi writers.
*personally if I want to see space
I will turn on TV, go the cinema,
or rent, or buy a Video or DVD.

I like sci-fi, I hate sci-fi authors
as they all try and base their work
on these 2 quacks in space.

(and not sci-fi but Anne Rice used to good)
and the first book in that cave man series
Clan of The Cave bear was good,
all the rest went down hill)

* the only sci-fi I have read recently
was the prequel Dune books,
still need to read Dune: Butleriand Jihad*

and I also like Enemy Mine,
I have 2 copies of this book,
the movie version and the original.

I also enjoy the John Carter of Mars books
and would like to see them or at least one
made into a movie.

AND VERY IMPORTANT
John Carpenter's 'Ghosts of Mars'
if you have not seen this movie
DON't
 Fraydenz
04-03-2003, 11:17 PM
I am very much into reading, so I'm trying to track down Magic of the Myth. What I have found out about it so far makes it look like it would be a nice addition to my StarWars book collection. Thanks for the idea. :)
 Fraydenz
04-03-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Darth Eggplant

Asimov writes
'so and so makes a ray gun'
no description of how it made,
it's power sourse, what it sounds like, etc

I can't really argue with you there. I am noticing much the same thing as I re-read the series. I was a lot more easily impressed the first time around.

Still, tho, at the time it was written, I don't think he would have had the terminology to describe how he built that ray gun, so he was just left with saying that he did, and instead concentrated on the story instead of the technological details.
 Darth Zaius
04-06-2003, 12:53 PM
well Darth Eggplant I guess you have a problem with Stephen King, H.G. Wells and Juels verne to name a few, anyways without H.G Wells or Jules Verne, there wouldn`t be a science fiction genre, and also I put crazy grandpa Stevie King in because he writes some pretty good sci-fi besides everything else like dreamcatcher (did not compare that well to the movie) and the running man, yes he wrote the Running Man(alot darker than the arnie version), just penned under a different name, Andrew Bachman I believe
 dark jedi 8
04-06-2003, 4:50 PM
does anyone know where to get the "magic of the myth" book at? i wouldn't mind reading it.:)
 Darth Eggplant
04-06-2003, 7:49 PM
I have never read a King novel seen lots of movies,
I like HG Wells and Jules Verne, I also like Bradbury
I think who wrote the john carter of mars series
and I like CS Lewis? stories about Venus and Mars
(one called Hideous strength? on Venus he was called
a Pibald flower or something, and the walrus guy in the boat
and the cool tall thin elder aliens in the high martian atmosphere.

I do not like Asimov, becasue someone who does not believe
in extra terrestrial life, and whom composes 2 autobiographies
the size of phone books, is not someone I find to be
benifiical to his gendre.

and I mean hey you like what you like,
Douglas Adams for instance is great on the first 2 reads
but then loses it, where Terry Pratchett is funny every time.
and I also, liked Sword of Shannera (I never read the others)
and all 6 (2 trilogy's of the Tomas Covenant series)

and if you really want to flame or dis me,
I really like Jk Rowlings and Harry Potter
and I do not care who knows it.

I stand by my word, I am not a big fan of Asimov
*that's all*
 Darth Zaius
04-06-2003, 8:23 PM
oh....ok, but I do prefer tolkein over rowling, and anyways I do agree that it is a very arrogant, boastful, and ignorant statement to say that there is no other life in the whole universe besides earth
 StormHammer
04-16-2003, 12:41 PM
I read the Foundation series so long ago I can barely remember the plot. :( Guess I'll have to pick it up again somewhere and give it another spin.

If you want to read a book that is a direct rip-off of Star Wars (ANH), look no further than 'Lord Tedric And The Iron Sphere' by E. E. 'Doc' Smith.

BTW, Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote the Barsoom novels starring John Carter, along with the Carson on Venus series, the Pellucidar series (which was the basis for the execrable At The Earth's Core movie), and Tarzan, his most notable creation.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant is an excellent saga that I urge everyone to read, immediately.

The Shannara series (including the Heirs of Shannara series) is also quite a good read, by Terry Brooks.

As for Asimov...I mostly like his Robot stories. I couldn't give a flying hoot if he believes in ETs or NTI's or anything else.

H.G. Wells was definitely a man with his finger on the button, and I enjoy his stories enormously. :thumbsup:

Stephen King's a bit over-rated IMHO - I prefer Dean Koontz for writing style (don't go by the sometimes terrible movie adaptations of his work). The only thing I really enjoyed reading from Mr. King was one of his biographical-type works where he discusses actually writing - and some of the Bachman stories. He should have stuck with Bachman.
Page: 1 of 1