Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Which weapons from previous games would you like to see in JK3?

Page: 2 of 2
 Stormtrooper X
05-02-2003, 5:27 PM
Oooooh! I loved the concussion rifle from JK DF2! When I played JK demo (my first game) I was amazed how strong the force was with it. I took upon myself to expect the sequel to be just as good. I thought I could be the best Jedi ever. I was wrong.:(
There is still good in it. Its more machine now than man. Twisted an evil. (like when a reborn gripped me and just in time managed to push me off the death star on one of my own personal missions) I can't finish it.

Okay, so the concussion rifle could kill me too! But say you are running down a corridor only to find yourself facing a kazillion dark jedi, say you suck at saber combat, whatcha gonna do? Blow 'em up with the most concussive, destructive, and fun weapon! :) I hope this weapon is in JA. I would also like to hold saber staff (double bladed saber) in one hand, and a normal one or another saber staff in the other.:saberg: :ben: :dsaber:

Oh man i'm hungry!:burg1:
 StormHammer
05-02-2003, 5:42 PM
Originally posted by Echuu Shen-Jon
Btw: What's that fusion cutter?

The Jeron Fusion Cutter was a modified mining tool in the original Dark Forces game. You can click here (http://www.hillside.co.uk/glyn/dark/weapons/weapons.htm#Jeron%20Fusion%20Cutter%20(6) for some further information on it. ;)
 Crowy
05-03-2003, 11:40 AM
i went the concussion rifle that was jsut kick ass... but didnt they say "jedi academy is going to be 70% a saber game" sort of thing?
 Wavey Davey
05-03-2003, 12:54 PM
I'm a jedi, lightsaber only for me.
 Echuu Shen-Jon
05-03-2003, 2:39 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
The Jeron Fusion Cutter was a modified mining tool in the original Dark Forces game. You can click here (http://www.hillside.co.uk/glyn/dark/weapons/weapons.htm#Jeron%20Fusion%20Cutter%20(6) for some further information on it. ;) Thanks! It doesn't seems like I would use it! It's too powerful ;)!

Personally, when I'm thinking again! I just want a lightsabre and a sniperrifle!
 t3rr0r
05-03-2003, 2:54 PM
Originally posted by Crowy
i went the concussion rifle that was jsut kick ass... but didnt they say "jedi academy is going to be 70% a saber game" sort of thing?
they also said there were going to be more conventional weapons than in jo.
 HertogJan
05-03-2003, 3:58 PM
Yup they did. You'll be using your lightsbaer 70% of the game, but of course you can mostly decide yourself what weapon you'll use of course :D

And yes, there's going to be 2 more weapons in JA than in JA...
 Echuu Shen-Jon
05-03-2003, 4:08 PM
Originally posted by HertogJan
Yup they did. You'll be using your lightsbaer 70% of the game, but of course you can mostly decide yourself what weapon you'll use of course :D

And yes, there's going to be 2 more weapons in JA than in JA... You mean JA than in JO, right?they also said there were going to be more conventional weapons than in jo.What do you mean about "conventional"?
 PrimoSidone
05-03-2003, 4:18 PM
I liked the weapons those clones carried in AoTC , any body know the name of those?
 Echuu Shen-Jon
05-03-2003, 4:42 PM
Check out www.starwars.com)
 Crowy
05-03-2003, 9:18 PM
the clone troopers? the one in hte ep2 weapon pack with zams rifle and jangos pistol?
 Echuu Shen-Jon
05-04-2003, 12:48 PM
I've mailed one of my freinds. He's all the books about Star Wars! I will tell you, once he replŠ½es!
 Prime
05-04-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Solo4114
[B]Well, we already know you'll be able to kick, so I imagine that should be enough for those who like the notion of playing kung fu jedi. [B] For some reason, all the interview/preview stuff I've read seems to indicate that you will only be able to kick with the double-bladed lightsaber. I hope that isn't the case though...
 Echuu Shen-Jon
05-04-2003, 12:57 PM
No, I don't think so either! We have to be able to kick :D!!!
 Solbe M'ko
05-05-2003, 8:53 PM
I'd like to see them big-ass backpack mounted blasters from ANH (How come they didn't show up in any other movies).
:guybrush:
 bigbud120
05-09-2003, 4:44 AM
I don't remember seeing any punches being thrown in any of the movies, so I would prefer it if fists are left out of the game.
 Prime
05-09-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by bigbud120
I don't remember seeing any punches being thrown in any of the movies, so I would prefer it if fists are left out of the game. Well, apart from Chewie punching an Imperial guard, Sebulba punching/kicking Jar Jar, Luke getting thrown into a table at the cantina, and Han getting into hand-to-hand with a scouttrooper, if you are only concerned about Jedi, Qui-Gon punches Darth Maul, and Obi-wan gets into a pretty good hand-to-hand fight with Jango. I'd just like to have a few moves when I am not holding a weapon in JA.
 Wilhuf
05-10-2003, 12:41 AM
On the whole I think Raven did a great job with the weapons in Jedi Outcast.

On to Jedi Academy:

Bring back the Concussion Rifle. But only if the game pace is faster, or the Concussion Rifle is toned down in splash radius and/or rate of fire from original Jedi Outcast.

Beef up the Wookie Bowcaster. (God it is too weak. Make it FEARED and RESPECTED like you did the lightsaber).

Bring back the sequencer mines with manual detonation please.
 StormHammer
05-10-2003, 1:09 AM
Originally posted by Wilhuf
Beef up the Wookie Bowcaster. (God it is too weak. Make it FEARED and RESPECTED like you did the lightsaber).

Agreed. The five-bolt spread is pretty useless...but I like the bouncy secondary fire. ;)

Bring back the sequencer mines with manual detonation please.

Absolutely. I have great fun in MP dropping them as I run and setting them off. :)

Of course, they should also introduce the most feared and diabolical weapon in the entire galaxy...more feared than even the Deathstar's super-laser...

...the Force Plunger! :D

Wilhuf...where on earth have you been hiding? I haven't seen you post for what seems like an age. Welcome back to the forums. Have one of these...

http://www.storm.hammer.btinternet.co.uk/jedimedal2.gif)

:D :cool:
 Echuu Shen-Jon
05-10-2003, 7:07 AM
Originally posted by Wilhuf
Agreed! I only used it, when I fired into corridors!
 HertogJan
05-10-2003, 8:35 AM
Originally posted by Echuu Shen-Jon
Agreed! I only used it, when I fired into corridors!

Some ppl seem to be able to use it very effectively though, online! The primary fire I mean. And since this firemode survived from JK to JO, it'll probably be in JA too :( But I agree the primary firemode isn't something I use much and that the secondary mode is great, in singleplay that is, over great distances :)
 Wilhuf
05-10-2003, 3:32 PM
Thank you for the kind welcome StormHammy!

*bows*

The War in Afghanistan is partially responsible for my greatly reduced presence. Of course the War isn't over yet, but hopefully I can pop in from time to time and stir up trouble.

Anyway, back on topic. The bowcaster secondary fire is great. Maybe just bump up the bouncy projectile speed a bit, or increase the rate of fire. Or both. And make the primary fire more like a shotgun. Maybe make it hitscan. As it is, it's just too slow to be effective.

Of course there could be some ace out there with the bowcaster, but I've been from one side of this galaxy to the other and I ain't never seen any ace usin' a bowcaster!
 greedo626
05-10-2003, 4:12 PM
a fully charged bowcaster shot to the chest does hella damage. the thing I find annoying with the bowcaster, DEMP2, Bryer pistol, and other chargable weapons, is the time limit you can have it charged. I hate it when I'm getting ready to fire my DEMP at some guy and it just goes off. it should be able to hold it's charge for as long as I want. they should fix that.
 Deadeye
05-12-2003, 1:46 AM
I know some of you might disagree with my idea, but this is what think they should do with the weapons in JA. As far as model variety goes, I think that Raven should take a look at E4-6. There are many different blaster models to use for reference. For example, the sandtroopers have those giant, long blasters. Maybe that could be a sniper rifle, or a rapid fire blaster. There's also the small blaster rifles that the Rebel troops use in the begining of ANH. Also there's Leia's small, but long pistol from the end of ROTJ. Let's not forget Han's blaster too. I say they should use those as models in the game. -Good variety, and still definitely SW style, unlike most of the Dark Forces/JK weapons.

Here's where you guys might disagree with me. I say that Raven should make every blaster-type weapon shoot a long bright bolt like the imperial rifles do now. The only difference btw the weapons should be rate of fire, and maybe a little color variation. Most of them should shoot red. Also they could use yellow, and green I think. I think that the weapons should also differ in sound effects too. Star Wars has some of the most wickedly cool laser sound effects. WIth that in mind I think that even though the weapons shoot very similar laser bolts, that they should make use of all those wonderful laser sound effects. Of course the imperial blaster sound we're all familiar with. I really always loved the sound of Han's blaster. They used it in MOTS, and it was so cool. Maybe they could use that TIE laser effect too. The point is, that there is plently of variety already in the movies, for them to use. I don't see why they need to make up all these non-Starwars-feeling weapons.

When I played JK and JO I only used the lightsaber when I got it. I really enjoy blocking those red blaster bolts with my lightsaber. I really find that there's something missing, or not quite Star Wars when I'm blocking back reapeater rounds, or fletchette rounds. Since JA really emphasises the Jedi role, I think that weapon variety is not all that important in this game. It really boils down to a matter of what kinds of ammo is coming at you, and personally I wanna be defending against a slew of those good old red bolts. THe only time I ever use a weapon other than the lightsaber was when I needed to snipe, or throw a grenade, or if I needed heavy firepower. I think that is probably the same case with many of you. Anyway, that's MHO

P.S. I do think that the concussion rifle should make a come back. Along with it's cool sound effect. That gun was juist plain cool
 StormHammer
05-12-2003, 9:09 AM
Originally posted by Deadeye
As far as model variety goes, I think that Raven should take a look at E4-6. There are many different blaster models to use for reference. For example, the sandtroopers have those giant, long blasters. Maybe that could be a sniper rifle, or a rapid fire blaster. There's also the small blaster rifles that the Rebel troops use in the begining of ANH. Also there's Leia's small, but long pistol from the end of ROTJ. Let's not forget Han's blaster too. I say they should use those as models in the game. -Good variety, and still definitely SW style, unlike most of the Dark Forces/JK weapons.

Don't forget Luke's rifle, and Leia's pistol in ANH. I agree that Raven should look more to the movies for weapon designs. Personally, I wouldn't mind getting my mitts on one of the ship turret lasers in AOTC...the one's that fire green streams of death...and some of those Gungan glowing balls. :D

As for laser bolts...yeah, they should be more like the movies too. If they took out the Heavy Repeater, Flechette and Missile launcher I wouldn't miss them at all. Heavier laser weapons would do just as well. The Demp2 is pretty useless in MP, but I wouldn't mind seeing it retained in SP.

But the key thing to fix with laser bolts is...the speed. They should be instant hit over medium distance, like the movies.
 Deadeye
05-12-2003, 12:30 PM
But the key thing to fix with laser bolts is...the speed. They should be instant hit over medium distance, like the movies.

That's a really good idea. It would make things so much more intense, but it might make saber blocking a bit tough. Unless of course it's all completely auto blocked. In that case I think that would rock.
 Prime
05-12-2003, 1:04 PM
I would like to see the majority of weapons in JA be blaster-based, along with the explosives we already have. All the variety we have currently should still be available, but in "blaster form". For example, the rocket launcher could be replaced with a very damaging blaster, and the repeater with a rapid fire blaster. You could also have things like a blaster with a grenade launcher attacked, instead of having energy ball area affect weapons. Hopefully I explained that OK :)

Ultimately, all the functionality we have now could retained but just take the form of blasters and detonator-like weapons.
 Vagabond
05-12-2003, 3:04 PM
Well, here are the weapons I'd like to see make it into Jedi Academy.

http://www.jediknightii.net/column002.shtml)

On the Bowcaster, I really thought Raven did an excellent job in visually rendering the weapon, compared to its apparence in JK/MotS. However, functionally, it was still as flawed as its previous incarnations. My suggestions for its improvement:

1. Drop the green blaster bolts - that just looks really bad. Use red bolts, like Chewie's.

2. Its primary fire could pack a heavier punch than normal blaster rifles, with a slower refire time.

3. It's secondary fire could, perhaps, do the ricochet thing - or maybe work as a shotgun - having a wider attack pattern, with shorter range.
 Stormtrooper X
05-12-2003, 5:09 PM
Jedi Master I am, skilled with bowcaster too!

I can use the bowcaster really effectively! :)

But I prefer the saber, I use it most of the time. You should have seen my fight against desann on the last level (yavin) where as soon as I got to the main fight, I ripped his guts out! It was two attacks and whoom! He is dead.
 StormHammer
05-12-2003, 7:01 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond
Well, here are the weapons I'd like to see make it into Jedi Academy.

http://www.jediknightii.net/column002.shtml)

Vag, if Raven were to attempt to include all of the weapons in your column, we'd still be waiting for this game by Christmas next year. ;) :D

Anyway...I think you need to update that column to include all of the AOTC weapons. :p j/k

I agree that the bowcaster bolt should be red, not green. As I said before, ditch the 5-bolt spread, make primary a single shot that you can still power up, and secondary a bouncy bolt. I too loved the model design for that weapon... :thumbsup:
 Vagabond
05-12-2003, 8:57 PM
Ya, I agree StormHammer, they couldn't include all those weapons. But I'd like to see the weapons chosen from that list - and as someone had stated, to include more blaster-type weapons, and less of the Unreal Tournament-type weapons. One or two UT weapons would be fine, but memory serves we had only two blaster-type weapons.

And you're right - I should update the weapons on that list. I'll have to see if I can get that on my schedule :cool:
 Kurgan
05-13-2003, 12:57 AM
Hmm.. maybe what I'm hoping for is a "MotS weapons pack mod" that'd be cool...

Carbonite Gun, Sniper Rifle, Seeking Rails, BlasTech pistol.. need I say more? ; )
 Prime
05-13-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
...BlasTech pistol.. need I say more? ; ) I'd definitely love this. Get rid of the Bryar and bring on the DL-44!!
 bigbud120
05-13-2003, 3:16 PM
Originally posted by Prime
Well, apart from Chewie punching an Imperial guard, Sebulba punching/kicking Jar Jar, Luke getting thrown into a table at the cantina, and Han getting into hand-to-hand with a scouttrooper, if you are only concerned about Jedi, Qui-Gon punches Darth Maul, and Obi-wan gets into a pretty good hand-to-hand fight with Jango. I'd just like to have a few moves when I am not holding a weapon in JA.

Hmmm, I guess there punches, but they just weren't memorable. :)
 Kurgan
05-13-2003, 6:28 PM
Incidentally, the Bryar should also be red, not gold. ; )

Though technically he could have heavily modified it (again) from DF/JK/MotS.

The bowcastor made sense because it was also a modified weapon, by the Tuskens. However in JK2, they called it the "Wookie" Bowcastor, so we all assumed it would have red bolts. Its still been modified though, from the fact that it doesn't require a wookie's strength to pull it back.

What's the string for anyway? Was it Vag that asked that? I forget...

Anyway, seeing the "real" versions of these weapons might be cool. I can just see some "weapon packs" (that are balanced, actually different, and don't suck).. Episode I weapons, Episode II weapons, movie weapons, MotS weapons, DF1 weapons, etc.

Right now its a mix of movie and EU stuff, which is fine by me, but I'd like to see new stuff too.

I think this is another good reason for bringing back the overhead map to the game - so you can see at a glance where your team-mates are positioned. Even a pair of binoculars would help...

I agree wholeheartedly. Not having the true 'darkness' that could be lighted by stuff like the saber, field light, etc was kind of a downer... I really liked that about JK1/MotS. At least put the macrobinocs from SP into MP as a pickup item (CTF anyone?). Would be cool... if batteries are a problem, make them infinite use while you have them, or only for a "Scout" class.

I really missed the map too... the few modern FPS games it would make sense to have them in (Elite Force, JK2) you don't have them... go figure. It needs to be added to the Q3 engine, but how hard can it be? Even a minimal overlay that displays the location of allies, and with seeing, enemies too (color coded).
 Kurgan
05-13-2003, 6:40 PM
Well, apart from Chewie punching an Imperial guard, Sebulba punching/kicking Jar Jar, Luke getting thrown into a table at the cantina, and Han getting into hand-to-hand with a scouttrooper, if you are only concerned about Jedi, Qui-Gon punches Darth Maul, and Obi-wan gets into a pretty good hand-to-hand fight with Jango. I'd just like to have a few moves when I am not holding a weapon in JA.

Han slugs Lando in the face (and gets beat down by Lando's guards), Chewie backhands quite a few stormies actually (in both ANH and ESB) as well as tossing one in ROTJ (and he tosses an AT-ST driver out of his own vehicle), Darth Maul kicks Obi-Wan in the face, and shoves Qui-Gon back (looks like he hits him in the hands with his saber handle, forcing him back for a second to set him up for the kill), and don't forget Luke kicking Vader down the stairs in ROTJ. ; )
 Solbe M'ko
05-13-2003, 8:24 PM
What about the Ewoks hitting stormtroopers with sticks? That was a VERY memorable moment for several reasons...
 Prime
05-14-2003, 5:02 PM
Originally posted by Solbe M'ko
What about the Ewoks hitting stormtroopers with sticks? That was a VERY memorable moment for several reasons... And hitting AT-STs with big sticks.
 Kurgan
05-15-2003, 6:56 PM
Looks like ONE of those wishes was granted.... the trailer shows a Han Solo-esque blaster (that fires gold shots, just like the JK2 bryar) being used to shoot a Snowtrooper...
Page: 2 of 2