Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Problem with voice in DOTT under Quick and Easy

Page: 1 of 1
 Burge
04-01-2003, 7:28 AM
Ok, I'm running XP, and when I run DOTT, the intro is fine, I get voice and music throughout no worries, but as soon as I get to Bernard, the music cuts out and voice is non existant. Anyone else have this problem or have any advice?
 Burge
04-01-2003, 7:46 AM
Actually, music is fine, its just speech and sound FX that are giving me headaches.
 Burge
04-01-2003, 7:47 AM
Can it be done?
 scabb
04-01-2003, 9:37 AM
Discworld cannot be run with ScummVM; and as for your DOTT problem, specify: Are you using VDMSound or ScummVM to run it?
 Burge
04-01-2003, 10:32 AM
Sorry, I'm running in VDMSound mode, trying to run in SCUMMVM just results in Quick and Easy crashing.
 scabb
04-01-2003, 11:35 AM
Well, VDMSound is far from perfect, and there are bound to be delays and glitches - I tend to avoid it.

It should run in ScummVM mode fine, providing you have ScummVM (http://scummvm.sourceforge.net) installed. Try clicking "Auto-Update" and letting it download the latest ScummVM build before you play, or go download (http://scummvm.sourceforge.net) it manually. If that doesn't work, then bgbennyboy will be along soon with his perverted avatar.
 bgbennyboy
04-01-2003, 12:45 PM
VdmSound Mode is far from perfect? Since when?
As always I dont know about any problems until people tell me¬

When you say 'crashing' more detail is needed, ie what you do before it crashes and what you mean by crash.
 scabb
04-01-2003, 5:05 PM
Nah, just VDMsound on a whole. I DONT LIKE IT. It's probably me, then, actually - from my experiences (with and without Q+E), it takes a while to load up the music, and some musical pieces don't load.
 Burge
04-02-2003, 7:04 AM
Ok, I've run the auto-update in Scumm VM and when I try to run DOTT, Q & E just closes straight away and sends me back to the desktop. Are there any special settings I should know about?
 bgbennyboy
04-04-2003, 7:51 AM
Look in the Q+E folder there should be a file called
scummvmwin32.exe
Also scummvm.exe

I am officially categorising this problem as el bizarro, you could try ScummVM Q+E (http://quick.mixnmojo.com/) instead if the problem persists.
 Burge
04-04-2003, 1:10 PM
Yep I have both of those files, except that they are in 2 different directories. Do they both need to be in the same dir?
 bgbennyboy
04-05-2003, 4:20 AM
They should both be in the root of the Q+E folder.

When you click auto-update Q+E downloads the latest daily build of ScummVM (scummvmwin32.exe) to the Q+E folder. It then unpacks it to the same folder so you will end up with scummvm.exe and sdl.dll there too.

I could have sworn I had a check in there for scummvm.exe when you click run, you've found a bug.

Auto-update not working properly is a bit weird though. Please reply and tell me where its put those files.

[Edit]
It might just be that daily build messed up, run auto-update again, you should visibly see it extract the files after the download is done.
When you click the run button Q+E exits and runs scummvm.exe with the specified options, so obviously if that file isnt there then it will just exit.
 Burge
04-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Ok, I ran the auto-update and it's running under Scumm VM, but it's heavily windowed and there's no mouse support it seems. Any way I can rectify these problems?
 bgbennyboy
04-06-2003, 6:04 AM
As with all things, alt and enter switches between windowed mode and fullscreen

If you want a bigger window choose a different graphics filter like 3x. Most ppl like advmame2x best though.

There is mouse support, most likely you have a joystick/pad plugged in and thats taking priority or something. Certainly on my system my sidewinder freestyle pro is set to its weird tilt/analogue thing by default and that shoves the cursor on a corner of the window until I turn it onto normal dpad mode.

Pressing the arrow keys on the keyboard usually overrides the joypad and returns control to keyboard/mouse.
 Burge
04-06-2003, 10:46 AM
Thanks. that works a treat, but each time I look at an item, it takes about 15 seconds to access the drive. Anything I can do to speed this up? Is it a CD-ROM drive problem?
 bgbennyboy
04-06-2003, 11:15 AM
Yes, probably. Copy the files to hd and play from there.

For DOTT these files are:

TENTACLE.000
TENTACLE.001
MONSTER.SOU
 Burge
04-07-2003, 8:50 AM
Copy them into the DOTT.CD directory?
 bgbennyboy
04-07-2003, 8:54 AM
Anywhere, scummvm can run the data files from anywhere.
 Burge
04-07-2003, 9:15 AM
Originally posted by bgbennyboy
Anywhere, scummvm can run the data files from anywhere.

But how will SVM know where to look?
 bgbennyboy
04-07-2003, 9:19 AM
Choose the folder in Q+E. Click the browse button next to the path box.
 Burge
04-07-2003, 9:19 AM
And I'm also getting a cyclic redundancy check error when I try to move the sound file over.
 Burge
04-07-2003, 9:27 AM
It's a hard drive problem isn't it.
 scabb
04-07-2003, 9:41 AM
ScummVM is probably nicely screwed up. I'm not 100% on the joyful procedure, but this should hopefully be foolproof. I don't know if you are using LEC Quick & Easy or ScummVM Quick & Easy, they're essentially the same, so if you're using ScummVM Quick & Easy, just replace "LEC Quick & Easy" with "ScummVM Quick & Easy"

Download the ScummVM Windows Installer (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/scummvm/scummvm_0.3.0b-win32.exe?download). Run it, and install it to the default location.

Now try running Quick & Easy in ScummVM mode.

If it crashed again, then run the installer again. This time, point it to the LEC Quick & Easy directory (Wherever LEC Quick & Easy is, you might have chosen yourself (you can always get it again (http://quick.mixnmojo.com)) - eg "C:\LEC Q&E\").

If it still doesn't work, repeat the procedure using the Daily Snapshot (http://scummvm.sourceforge.net/downloads/scummvmwin32.exe) (the latest release of ScummVM or whatever).

If it's still on strike, then I recommend you just pretend that it's working anyway, otherwise we will send some half-people half-packdogs to hunt you down and eat the part of your brain that enjoys adventure gaming.
 Burge
04-07-2003, 9:50 AM
Originally posted by scabb
ScummVM is probably nicely screwed up. I'm not 100% on the joyful procedure, but this should hopefully be foolproof. I don't know if you are using LEC Quick & Easy or ScummVM Quick & Easy, they're essentially the same, so if you're using ScummVM Quick & Easy, just replace "LEC Quick & Easy" with "ScummVM Quick & Easy"

Download the ScummVM Windows Installer (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/scummvm/scummvm_0.3.0b-win32.exe?download). Run it, and install it to the default location.

Now try running Quick & Easy in ScummVM mode.

If it crashed again, then run the installer again. This time, point it to the LEC Quick & Easy directory (Wherever LEC Quick & Easy is, you might have chosen yourself (you can always get it again (http://quick.mixnmojo.com)) - eg "C:\LEC Q&E\").

If it still doesn't work, repeat the procedure using the Daily Snapshot (http://scummvm.sourceforge.net/downloads/scummvmwin32.exe) (the latest release of ScummVM or whatever).

If it's not working, then I recommend you just pretend that it is anyway, otherwise we will send some half-people half-packdogs to hunt you down and eat the part of your brain that enjoys adventure gaming.

Lol, but anyway, it's not crashing regularly, and my only problem is occasional messed up speech and sound FX. I know this could be rectified if I copied the aforementioned files to the HD which I have (TENTACLE.000
TENTACLE.001). However, when I try to copy MONSTER.SOU from the CD to the hard drive I get a cyclic redundancy check error, and I have no idea how to get past this.
 scabb
04-07-2003, 10:03 AM
Gah! You could have said it was DOTT.

This means that either your CD is a little scratched and the file MONSTER.SOU is corrupt, or that explorer gets a little bored halfway through transferring the file to Hard drive and decides to annoy you with error messages.

Download Isobuster (http://download.com.com/3000-2248-10152507.html?tag=lst-0-1), Install and run.

Find the file "MONSTER.SOU" on the disc (It should be in the DOTT folder). Right click the file and choose EXTRACT RAW DATA, then stick it in the folder you're hoarding DOTT in. If you get error messages, you can choose to ignore them and the file should still jump to the hard drive, it may be a teensy bit corrupt but it should probably run the game still.

If all is still not well, then you should definitely make obscene gestures towards your CD, use a powerdrill on your favourite molar, and then see what the stuff under the sink tastes like - either that or purchase another copy.
 Burge
04-07-2003, 10:16 AM
Gah! You could have said it was DOTT.

Call me old fashioned, but I thought the title of the thread and the numerous references to the name of the game to which I was inquiring in my previous posts may have given you a clue that I was in fact talking about DOTT.

:amidala:
 bgbennyboy
04-07-2003, 10:18 AM
And im sure you want to thank him for all his help too of course.......
 Burge
04-07-2003, 10:24 AM
Yes, I would like to thank everyone who's helped me out in this thread, together we've almost conquered all adversity DOTT could throw at my direction. God bless you scabb and bg.
 scabb
04-07-2003, 12:18 PM
Bleh, I meant the CRC error - I wasn't aware that it was coming from transferring the DOTT files, although I should have picked up on it.. OLD FASHIONED person.

"And I'm also getting a cyclic redundancy check error when I try to move the sound file over."

Just shut up, all of you, and don't try to make sense of this post ¬
Page: 1 of 1