Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Assassination.

Page: 1 of 1
 Commander Bond
03-31-2003, 7:52 AM
Last night (Sunday, March 30th), did anyone watch the programme Killing Hitler on BBC2 at 8:00pm? It was fascinating to think that the British troops in World War Two were so close to assassinating Adolf Hiter, using a sniper to infiltrate the Berghof and shoot him while on his unprotected walk in the mornings. Operation: Foxley, they called it.

So, bringing you forward in time to the current day, do you think that somewhere there is a British (or American) military strategist planning to assassinate Saddam Hussain? If they nearly killed the most evil man in history back in 1944, then surely they could shoot, poison, blow up or stab Saddam today, with some sort of covert operation/stealth incursion.

What do you think? Would assassinating Saddam Hussain end this war quickly, or prolong it as terrorist cells throughout the world retaliate on behalf of their dead leader? Or would it be massively successful and give the leaders of the coalition an opertunity to dance a little jig of victory? A modern day Operation: Foxley... would it work?
 nova_wolf
03-31-2003, 8:00 AM
Well, the elite 101st were dropped down in the desert somewhere near Bahgdad... We haven't heard a thing about them... Perhaps they have a mission along those lines...
 Commander Bond
03-31-2003, 8:05 AM
I'm talking about a single person (or maybe two: a sniper and a guide were planned for Operation: Foxley) sneaking into Saddam Hussain's inner circle and assassinating him. There is no evidence that Saddam is in Baghdad anyway. But, that is a good point: whatever happened to the Elite 101st?
 BCanr2d2
03-31-2003, 8:08 AM
Go and read Executive Orders by Tom Clancy then.........

First of all, I believe it to be a fallacy that Hussein is their leader, there are people out there that are a lot shadier, and have a lot lower profile that would be able to fund and guide these fundamentalists.........
 Commander Bond
03-31-2003, 8:20 AM
Saddam Hussain is the targeted leader of the Iraqi people. He is the one issuing orders to the Republican Guard. He is the one with statues throughout towns and cities (currently being run over by British Challenger tanks, I must add). He is the main target of the coalition leaders.

If Saddam dies, the Iraqi people will be leaderless. My question is that, if he does, will it make the Iraqi people fall apart and surrender, or will it fuel their determination to fight even more? This was the problem faced by the creators of Operation: Foxley in 1944, and this might well be the problem now.
 El Sitherino
03-31-2003, 9:13 AM
[conspiracy mode] what if he's just their public guy. like someone else runs the show but he takes all the credit. what if like we were all being duped and all the leaders are just public guys. and underground all the real leaders meet [/conspiracy mode] i think there is a group out to kill saddam just like in the gulf war.
 Luc Solar
03-31-2003, 10:11 AM
Saddam is already dead.

Proof presented by Luc:

HERE (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=95491)
 leXX
03-31-2003, 10:21 AM
I think this belongs in the Senate...

I feel there was never any need for this war. An elite assasination team could have been sent in in the first place and the loss of innocent civilian lives could have been avoided. I think it all comes down to this... so called 'intelligence' is lacking.
 Zodiac
03-31-2003, 10:36 AM
Even if they had 'Saddam' in their sniper-scope.. ready to pull the trigger and kill the man.. the question still remains:

Is it the real Saddam????

The answer is: Most likely No.

Saddam has so many stand ins, it's just ridiculous, you can't be sure if you just killed the right man or not. And whoever thinks removing Saddam = removing the problem, is wrong, because Saddam has got sons and cousins who will take over. Uday Hussein, his son, is like Saddam, but just 500% more cruel. That's one of the minor reasons why this war is going on: to remove the entire regime, not just Saddam.
 Breton
03-31-2003, 2:36 PM
Originally posted by leXX
I think this belongs in the Senate...

I feel there was never any need for this war. An elite assasination team could have been sent in in the first place and the loss of innocent civilian lives could have been avoided. I think it all comes down to this... so called 'intelligence' is lacking.

But political murder is strictly forbidden. And it should be, or else we would have dozens of countries running around assasinating each other's leaders.
 Luc Solar
03-31-2003, 3:03 PM
Originally posted by JM Qui-Gon Jinn
But political murder is strictly forbidden.

...which is why I find it highly amusing that invading a country and dropping a ****load of missiles on it's leader apparently isn't. :D
 Commander Bond
04-01-2003, 10:18 AM
Saddam Hussain, according to the most up-to-date intelligence, has six doubles, each posing as the Iraqi leader. All we have to do is kill Saddam seven times and the war is over.

There is a large difference between war and murder, Luc Solar. Were you asleep the entire time George W. Bush was pleading with the UN to give him backing against Saddam? That's what it was all about. However, I do think that both are wrong, it's just that you can support war much more easily than you can murder/assassination. Go war!

I've just watched something on television that really angers me. Apparently, one of the American 'pilots' (more like mental patients) strafed four Great British tanks in his A-10 "TankBuster" before turning right back around and repeating his attack. The lead tank was flying the Union Jack flag, and each one was marked with coalition identification, so why did this American idiot blow up two of the tanks and kill one of our soldiers, eh? I think that the US forces are a major weakness in this campaign, and if we (the British) were left to our own devices then this war would be over within days, not the months that the US-led attack seems to be taking.

In case you haven't noticed, I'm English.
 ShadowTemplar
04-01-2003, 10:37 AM
Commander Bond:

Europe: Strength: Highly trained elite special-ops that can wipe the floor with any American Delta-Force any day of the week.

US: Strength: A heckuvalotta troops and tech that can wipe the floor with Europe any day of the week.
 Zodiac
04-01-2003, 11:29 AM
It's the Dexedrine, Commander Bond. :(
 griff38
04-01-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Commander Bond

There is a large difference between war and murder, Luc Solar.

it's just that you can support war much more easily than you can murder/assassination. Go war!

I've just watched something on television that really angers me. Apparently, one of the American 'pilots' (more like mental patients) strafed four Great British tanks in his A-10 "TankBuster" before turning right back around and repeating his attack. The lead tank was flying the Union Jack flag, and each one was marked with coalition identification, so why did this American idiot blow up two of the tanks and kill one of our soldiers, eh?

SO war is good unless it hurts someone YOU care about"

Go war!
 El Sitherino
04-01-2003, 1:14 PM
All we have to do is kill Saddam seven times and the war is over. man he's like a cat to have to be killed so many times ;P
 daring dueler
04-02-2003, 3:43 PM
well, i dont think he is dead, but if we were able to kill him thta easy i say take your shot, but now its a little late for this if he is alive his stand ins are ready, and hes tucked away, if he is dead , hurrah!
 ET Warrior
04-02-2003, 7:46 PM
Originally posted by ShadowTemplar
Europe: Strength: Highly trained elite special-ops that can wipe the floor with any American Delta-Force any day of the week.

I don know about that.....I mean, Europes got some crazy good special ops, especially france.....but The US also has some crazy go nuts style special ops.......i dont think they'd wipe the floor with us, but maybe mess us up a bit......;)
 Commander Bond
04-05-2003, 10:08 AM
France is full of idiots. They've been telling the British people to come and dig up the British troops buried over there from World War Two with a note saying "Don't contaminate our soil, you pigs." I want to level France to the ground with our superior special forces.

Yep, that's right: Britain has some of the best special forces in the world. Alright, America, you've got the manpower. Come on, you've got a bigger country. But size does not matter. Great Britain will remain Great for ever. No argument.

I wouldn't mind, griff38, if those tanks were destroyed by Iraqi forces: they would have died fighting the enemy, and while protecting their country. But for a so-called ally to strafe the convoy and destroy two of the Challengers... that's pissing me off.
 Luc Solar
04-05-2003, 11:24 AM
Did you guys know that Finland has the most l3373st craziest elite forces ever? These guys would pwn Americans, Brits, the French and the feared Monaco Tree-Climbers any day of the week.

Yeah, so we (too) got the best special ops in the world. Ask any Russian what happened around 1939-40...they'll tell ya. They were the biggest meanest country in the world with 200+ million people. Finland had 4 million.
In other words: 50 russians armed up to their teeth don't stand a chance against one mad Finn with a knife and an attitude.

All hose Navy delta special marine seal GI joe ops? Pfffft... :p Finns would invade you all in no time... if we weren't perfectly happy freezing our butts off and drinking Koskenkorva with polar bears here up north. ;)
 Tyrion
04-05-2003, 11:38 AM
I want to level France to the ground with our superior special forces.

..and destroy a culture and innocent people with it?

Dont confuse the government with the people.
 Zodiac
04-05-2003, 11:46 AM
hmm. a Swedish friend once told me to say 'Perkele Suomi' to a Finnish girl if I ever met one on my vacation in Turkey. I didn't do it, didn't know what it meant and it might've upset her. And an upset Finnish girl= big trouble. You should've seen what she did to that Turkish guy who told her all women are inferior to men. :p
what does Perkele mean anyways? Still don't know that....

Cheers (the word you say right before you drink an alcoholic beverage)= something that you pronounce as "kip pisch" or "keep peace" or something that sounds like that...

am I right?? can't remember much from my vacation :(.

Luc.. do you by any coincidence know someone in Finland with Solingakas as her last name.
 Luc Solar
04-05-2003, 2:13 PM
LOL! ... You can't really translate profanities, but "Perkele" originates from the word "devil". It serves the same purpose as the f-word or $hit, but it's just way cooler, especially when pronounced right: "PeRRRRRRRRRRkkele!!" :D

I doubt "Perkele Suomi!" is such a great pick-up-line...I haven't tried it myself yet though, so who knows ;)

The "Keep Peace" thingy you mentioned is "Kippis". We Finns say that a lot, I guess. :D

Solingakas is not a Finnish name. Might be Turkish? And no, unfortunately I don't know anyone by that name.
 Zodiac
04-05-2003, 3:05 PM
hahah Perkele serves the same purpose as the f-word? :eek: LOL, good thing I never said that then. :)

And yes, you Finnish people sure can drink a lot. That was prolly the most frustrating thing :P, because me and my friends were at the point of puking, while the Finnish group we met were still not even drunk lol.

And Solingakas is probably Russian.. well, she said she was born in Moscow (that's what Moskova is I think) and moved to Finland when she was 6. Kaisa and Janna were the girly names. Never heard them before, so they must be authentic Finnish names. :confused: I love that Finnish accent. It's so hot.
Page: 1 of 1