Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Dark Forces series numbering

Page: 1 of 1
 ShadowMage
03-30-2003, 7:45 PM
Greetings, I am new here and enjoying reading most of these posts. I thought I would pose a question of mine to people here, see what kinds of replies I could get.

This series began, of course, with Dark Forces. Then came Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II. Following that was Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast. What happened to being Dark Forces III? In addition, why isn't Jedi Knight III known as Dark Forces IV?

*chuckle*

At least one of the original rumors I had heard turned out to be untrue. That being that the new game was being referenced as Jedi Outcast II. ;)

An insiginificant point, I know, but it still puzzles me no end why the game titles ended up this way. Any opinions?
 Katarn07
03-30-2003, 9:47 PM
Greetings! I am Katarn07. You'll learn to hate me :p :D :p

I read it was called JKII because it was a much more well known game, wherears DF was not. Many people confuse this mod for being DFII and had not known DF actually existed (well, a while ago one person said that... :D )

Hope that clears it up. ;)
 Jeff 42
03-30-2003, 11:06 PM
I say the next game in the series should be known as "Dark 4ces." :D
 xcountryman03
03-31-2003, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Katarn07
Greetings! I am Katarn07. You'll learn to hate me :p :D :p

Yeah thats true.....just kidding katarn you're bearable;)

Hey i'm xcountryman. i enjoy long walks on the beach, sunsets, and car rides. I'm a regular visiter to this forum, just don't usually post too much
 StormHammer
03-31-2003, 12:30 PM
You know, it actually makes a bit of sense to me how they named the games. The original Dark Forces was more a straightforward shooter in the Star Wars universe, and the title of the game matched well with the entire premise of the game...the force of Dark Troopers.

Then came Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II. Now...you'll notice that Jedi Knight comes before the sequel moniker. I think there's a very good reason for that...because the game focuses more on the fact that Kyle Katarn becomes a Jedi...and deals with his past...while the dark forces, in this case Dark Jedi, are his nemesis. I know I'm stating the obvious...but in a way, Jedi Knight was almost like a completely new series in terms of gameplay elements, etc. In fact, I'll go further to say that they could have used a character other than Kyle Katarn, and it would still have worked. The only real link between the two games is Katarn himself.

So apart from the fact that Jedi Knight was possibly more popular and well-known, it makes sense to continue the Jedi Knight theme as a basis for the series, IMHO. So Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, makes more sense. And a further game in the series would have to be Jedi Knight III: [insert subtitle here].

Taking that the next logical step further, I would consider it possible and even appropriate to continue with the Dark Forces series, with a focus on being another non-Jedi character in the SW universe, undertaking various missions on behalf of the New Republic. I wish Lucasarts would contemplate this...because I don't think Dark Forces necessarily have to be Katarn-centric. :)
 ShadowMage
04-01-2003, 3:29 PM
Makes sense to me, seems a valid enough deduction.

I agree it would be interesting to see a continuation of the other storyline. Many possibilities there, especially since the difference between DF and JK is several years. Plenty of storyline potential during the rest of the civil war.

hmmmmm

*gets ideas, and his overactive imagination kicks up a gear*
Page: 1 of 1