Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

When, where, and why did you see SW?

Page: 1 of 1
 Katarn07
03-27-2003, 9:41 PM
Well, I have an amusing tale as to why I wanted to see the movie called Star Wars.

When I was little, Indy and Batman were my main things I liked to play and watch. I loved to see Indy stuff when I watched Muppet Babies (Kermit as Indy... Aghhh!!!) and remember seeing a lot of SW stuff. It looked cool.

Over my early childhood years, I was dragged through antique malls and I remember seeing vintage figures all the time, and I spent my entire visit staring at those instead of the old stuff.

So, one time on TBS, I saw it advertised, and decided to watch it. I have been hooked ever since. Got that 3 pack a week later and saw the others back to back. Then, got my collection of toys started, playing with the 1t few series, but now it's just for collecting.

*leaves to go play with toys*

"How many times have I told you guys to knock! Did you see anything?"

"No Katarn07, we did not see you playing with your dolls again..."

"GOOD!!!"

I don't feel like posting this in the Swamp....
 wassup
03-27-2003, 10:22 PM
First watched Episode I in 2001 on TV, then went to see Episode II on opening day. Got semi-hooked on SW, borrowed 3-pack VHS from friend and got instantly hooked. Been attached to Star Wars ever since. :D
 boinga1
03-27-2003, 11:22 PM
saw an article about ep1 in a Time for Kids, got interested, rented ep4 (and subsequently ep5 and 6) from blockbuster. saw ep1 july 4, saw it twice more the day it was released on video.
 Taos
03-28-2003, 12:09 AM
The first movie I ever saw in a theater was Star Wars: Return of the Jedi. I was six years old at the time and I just remember the Ewoks and the Emperor's lightening coming out of his hands.

I just loved it right from the start.....I think it was the lightsabers that did it for me. :)

Then I got all of the toys and then I started to see the other moives.......just amazing, I had never seen anything like SW before [and nothing since]. :D
 Sivy
03-28-2003, 5:16 AM
when i was 4, one day my dad brought home a VHS and a small collection of videos, star wars, empire strikes back, superman, raiders of the lost ark
i have an older brother who was more into it... well being 4 you don't really get it but you like the funny-looking aliens and hiding everytime darth vader was on the screen.

a year or so later ROTJ was released on video about the same time of my brother's birthday so we had a star wars theme party... i was dressed up as an ewok.

since then i been hooked on it
 JediNyt
03-28-2003, 5:22 AM
I was quite young, 6 maybe, I saw it at home and it was cause my parents rented it. Of course I was captivated right away. I liked SW ever since and continued to like it more and more until the time of the Special Edition, then I loved it! And the rest as we say is history. :)
 leXX
03-28-2003, 7:40 AM
I saw ESB in 1980 in the cinema, I was 9 years old and ROTJ three years later. My brother and I were instantly hooked and we proceeded to bug my mum and dad for all the toys. I remember playing with my biker scout in between the pot plants pretending to be on Endor hehe. I saw ANH last of all funny enough. My brother has all the toys now, damn him lol.

Star Wars is a part of me, it's in my soul.
 StarWarsPhreak
03-28-2003, 9:22 AM
hmm... you know what.. it's been so long I cant remember for sure. I think I narrowed the possiblities to 3:

1) I'm around 10 years old. I was at my Uncle's house, and he wanted me to watch ANH because he thought I would be interested.

2) No idea how old I was. I saw it at my friend's house.

3) No idea how old I was.I saw the ESB SE in theaters with my friend at his Bday party.

I think it's option Number 1. Been hooked since I saw it.... hmm... "Hooked on Star Wars." Someone should make that...

I have also collected the Action Fleet and Micro Machines when they came out. I almost have all of the SW Micro Machines, and I need like 2 ships to complete my AF collection (that doesn't include upcoming Ep2 ships)
 ckcsaber
03-28-2003, 10:26 AM
It was like 1989.I was walking around in a mega store, forgot which one, and there I see ANH playing on a little TV. I sa down in the middle of the floor and watched the whole thing begining to end, while everyone had to walk around me. (I was still young)

That is how the Saga began for me.........
 Darth Groovy
03-28-2003, 10:44 AM
I didn't actually see it in 1977, I was only 3 at the time. I saw it when they released it again prior to the release of Empire Strikes Back, so that was either 79, or 80. Not sure. They used to make 33 speed albums, that contained Dialogue from the movie, with a book and a narator. I had a Fisher Price Record player, and played the damn thing until the grooves wore out. Years later my parents loveingly replaced the record with an audio cassette of the same thing, which I hold dear to this day. My parents still giggle about the first time I saw Star Wars, they said that was the first movie I ever sat still, from start to finish without my eyes ever leaveing the screen, or ever needing to go to the bathroom...etc. Since then the movie remains my favorite of all time, second only to it's sequal, The Empire Strikes Back, which as of now, is still my favorite of all the films.
 Rogue15
03-28-2003, 11:41 AM
my mom brought home the original return of the jedi from the local library when i was 11, and i was like....WHOA. and watched it like 5 times before she had to return it. :D
 Lynk Former
03-28-2003, 12:45 PM
The first Star Wars thing I watched was Star Wars: Ewoks, the cartoon series... then I saw Return of the Jedi when I was lil and finally saw the rest of the series when I moved over to Australia
 Clemme w/Stick
03-28-2003, 12:58 PM
I dont remember when and why, but it was in our home. I watched it with my dad, and little brother.
After that movie I was hooked on the SW universe, and I have been that ever since.
Then a couple of years ago, I started playing the card game, made by Decipher (Star Wars, Costumizable Card Game). Ever since that day, I've been a Star Wars fanatic :D!

-Clemme
 Darth Groovy
03-28-2003, 1:15 PM
Originally posted by Lynk Former
The first Star Wars thing I watched was Star Wars: Ewoks, the cartoon series... then I saw Return of the Jedi when I was lil and finally saw the rest of the series when I moved over to Australia

Now I am curios Lynk, where did you live before that?
 Echuu Shen-Jon
03-28-2003, 1:17 PM
I think I was about 6 or 7, when I saw the OT! I can't remember though, because I've seen them so many times! I saw TPM during May 2002 (I had to see it because I went to the cinema with my sister to see AOTC on 23 of May 2002), for the first time. I dug up my old Star Wars interests, and look where I'm now :D. I watched the OT SE during June 2002, because I was so excited of Star Wars, and I'm still :)!

I've only seen AOTC in the cinema! I've seen the others at home! Not very many in my class have this opinion:

STAR WARS IS THE BEST!!!
Forever, and ever, and ever. (continues)
from Jesus Christ Superstar, by Andrew Lloyd Webber!
 Lynk Former
03-28-2003, 1:46 PM
Originally posted by Darth Groovy
Now I am curios Lynk, where did you live before that?

Fiji. I was born there
 dark jedi 8
03-28-2003, 8:59 PM
i remember when it came out in the late 80's , my parents watched it alot, i was only 3-4 at the time. the only one i remember watching from that time is ROTJ.

i got interested in the toys in 95' and have watched the movies since then on my own. SW is the best!:D

Oh, and i remember watching the SE in theaters along of course with TPM and AOTC many times!
 Darth Groovy
03-28-2003, 10:01 PM
Special Edition was pure fun!

TPM triggered my second childhood----w00t!

Lynk, that is hell cool. Didn't know that about you!
 Lynk Former
03-28-2003, 11:31 PM
:p Too cool for skool :p

^_^ Eh there's A LOT u don't know about me... (most of it will scare u) lol
 Darth Eggplant
03-29-2003, 1:15 AM
the TV show 'That 70's Show'
(the episode where it was 1977)
I was 15 back then and we did not have a Vesta Cruiser
but an old Turquoise coloured Volks Wagon Beetle.
I can't even recall how many times I saw the original
triology anymore. one time we got to see all three
in an IMAX theatre and we chose aisle seats because
they could swivel, and so in A new Hope
when Han and Luke start fighting the Tie-Fighters,
we were swiveling our chairs maddly as if we were there
fighting them too. (and strangely enough)
we were not the only ones in the theatre doing so.:D

another great time was when the new releases came out
one month after another. the crowds in the theatres were
a lot of fun cause everyone had seen it so many times,
sometimes people were actually quoting lines and cracking
jokes at certain parts of the movie. and I was no exception
because ther is one part in episode 6 which has always stuck
in my mind. (I think anyhow, anyways) whenever I hear the
dialogue between Vader and the Emperor, well my mind
is alwats in the gutter for this part: *paraphrasing too*
(so don't knit pick if I get the lines slightly wrong)

Vader: 'my son is down their I have felt him.'
Emperor: 'are you sure strange that I have not.'

well at that point I yelled out pedophiles!
cause that's what I always think
what with luke kissing his sister and all.
anyhow I laughed:)
 dark jedi 8
03-29-2003, 7:02 PM
haha, never thought about that vader, emperor thing before! pretty funny.:D
 ZBomber
03-30-2003, 8:19 PM
The first time I started liking Star Wars was when I saw it on Nickeloden. It was a movie thign about it. I remember seeign 3P0 and R2. Then, like 2 days later, my family went to the see the movie (The New version) Daring Dueler started getting me into collecting, and when I graduated form Kindergarden, my mom and dad bought me my first figures: (None vintage) Boushh: Shadows of the Empire, Luke X-Wing Pilot, Han Solo, and Chewbacca. Man, I remember playing with those things in my Living Room. Seems like it was yesterday, and brings a tear to my eye. I also remember being in the movie thearte, and seeing a preview for ROTJ. They showed Luke and Leia swining away from Jabba's palace, and I thoguht Leia was another girl. I also remember thinking Han was dead when they put him in carbonite...the good old....
*colapses into Kartan07 crying*

:D
 StormHammer
04-16-2003, 12:49 PM
When: summer 1978 - I couldn't see it in 1977 because that was the year the whole family moved from England to Wales, and there was a lot of stuff to sort out.

Where: Aberaman Grand (pokey little hovel of a cinema since destroyed by fire - and no, it wasn't me :D )

Why: I think I'd seen an excerpt or something on TV - I know there was a hell of a lot of excitement about it at the time - and it got me really excited.

The BEST time I watched Star Wars, was when I saw the entire classic trilogy back-to-back in the West End (London) on the release of ROTJ. The cinema was great, with quadraphonic sound, and watching the whole thing from start to finish was awesome. That was, of course, in 1983.

I've been a fan ever since 1978, though. :)
 lukeiamyourdad
04-17-2003, 10:33 PM
I can't remember. the only think I know is i watched Spaceballs first and then i watched SW after. Got hooked since i was 4.
Damn that was a long time ago...
 teutonicknight
04-19-2003, 12:56 AM
I first watched SW at my freinds house when I was in 3rd grade... He popped in the VHS and we googled at the amazing speical effects.. lol... the only thing I honestly remebered at the time was Luke doing a flip after falling off the plank in EP6. I really got hooked when Ep1 got around... and have been and avid fanactic every since.... well maybe i'm not a fanactic, but I'm close to one....
 Uber_Saber
04-22-2003, 3:50 PM
I saw RotJ first, a friend of my dad's showed it to my bro and me when I was probably, jeez, 7? 8? Somewhere around there.

Went home, didn't even know that ANH and ESB existed until my bro spotted the whole set on VHS, and got it. Hooked ever since. Got quite a few of the books, now.
 SE_Vader_536
04-24-2003, 12:52 PM
i got hooked after watching it in daycare around the age of 6 or 7. i didnt get to see the complete movies but the segments that i was there to see were incredible. from then on i played sw games, tryed to get the movies... yada yada. until last year when i got star wars galactic battlegrounds. Then i was hooked for good. after that i had to see all the movies from start to finish. I had turned in a star wars maniac.
 boinga1
04-25-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by teutonicknight
well maybe i'm not a fanactic, but I'm close to one....

Shame on you get off these sacred forums this instant!
Page: 1 of 1